Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Tangmo Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
We'll Be There

I posted this a while back (at least an earlier production of it) but pulled it after a 36 hour bout with a sick kid and a bit of exhausted self-pity. This has a lyric (more or less) but there is no way I can sing it. I've never been a good singer, but these days I can barely hold a tune. But more importantly, what flows out of these rusty pipes is most assuredly NOT POP!

I make this stuff so I can enjoy it, and I am beyond certain that I would not/could not "enjoy" listening to me try to sing this. I may one day be able to demo it for a true vocalist, but there are hazards, I've learned, in dealing with singers--especially on sites like Fiverr. It's very difficult to "explain" what can't be proficiently demo'ed.

So, for now and maybe forever, this is what it is. I don't post these things to show off ME. I've got better songs than any I've posted here so far. I post HERE to show off BIAB, and this is a prime example of what someone can rather easily accomplish with a bit of planning, listening to the band, and engaging that "producer" ear.

But for those who want words, here's the tagline and the reason for the piece.

All you crazy cats will be back, and we'll be there.

And the middle section:

Show up, tune up, get up, act up
make us proud, make it loud, make it love to the crowd
Feed us. You need us to feed it back to you everywhere
You crazy cats'll be back, and we'll be there

And the chorus (in one iteration).

Play LIVE, work LIVE, act LIVE, be LIVE

And it's dedicated to musicians and other performers aching to get back in front of a live audience, as well as for all of us who are aching to see/hear that happen.

And now, a repeat of the song notes.

------------------------------------------------

I got away from harmony and mode explorations with this little number and decided to focus on rhythm. Indeed, I just went with the ubiquitous four-chord pop loop.--I V vi IV. I'm hardly an expert in pop production, but I hope I at least lean against it here. The end is a bit "harmony" experimental, however.

This was created out of two instances of the main "style". While I kept that funk ONE strong, I alternated the other three beats in the main sections with different iterations of 1/8 and 1/16 pushes (^ and ^^) and then brought them together in DAW. This juxtaposition is most apparent when the guitars come in, panned wide L&R, but it's there in some of the piano, and all of the synth lines. As experiments go, this one was a lot of fun.

I used a lot of more modern mix/production techniques and lots of cuts and sliding. For example, the chorus is mainly delineated by the addition of the main synth line.

The "mix" is uneven to my ears, but I was playing with so many new tools, it's not likely I can make modest changes without massive effort.

This whole effort is inspired by a comment I left on a YouTube video a while back to the effect that all you crazy live-playing cats will be back, and we'll be there. I hope that optimism rings through and proves true.

Enjoy, if possible.

****** Song Summary *************
Key=C , Tempo 90, Length (m:s)=1:14
No intro. 8 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 8. Repeat x3 choruses
Style is _KPFUNKY.STY (Modern Funky K-Pop)

RealTracks in style: 2325:Bass, Synth, Rhythm JazzFunkFat Ev 110
RealTracks in style: ~~1638:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkBreezyMuted Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: 2282:Synth, Rhythm DiscoSynthGuitDelaySync Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~~1639:Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkBreezy Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: ~1642:Sax, Tenor, Soloist JazzFunkBreezy Ev16 075
RealDrums [in style:SynthDrumsDanceRock^1-a: Bass and Snare , b: Snare and Bass

Second Style (for middle 8)
****** Song Summary *************
Style is _PINKGIN.STY (Pink Gin Lounge Funk with Loop)
RealTracks in style: ~1636:Bass, Electric, JazzFunkBreezy Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: ~1639:Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkBreezy Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: 3329:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm LoungeFunkSwells Ev16 080
RealTracks in style: ~1638:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkBreezyMuted Ev16 075
Loop in Song: Loops PAK 2\Funk\Drums, Acoustic, FunkBreakA-B Ev16 080.wav

Mixed in Reaper with PG reverbs and a lot of Izotope plugins.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Tangmo,

Sounds good. A good mix. A "modern" sound overall.
Could be offered up as a topline-track for those who are wanting to try that type writing...

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent tune. I love the rhythm of this track. Sort of hits you right in the chest. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I really like this. I enjoyed your mixture of the two styles (and I just love all of BIAB funk styles).

It struck a special chord with me because I've been getting Ideas today about trying my hand at a rhythm pop style song.

Much enjoyed!

User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
I liked it a lot, Tangmo. It is a very good composition. I hope you will succeed in getting a good singer to do this for you... the track has a lot of potential!

Best wishes,
Will

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Pretty cool mixture of instruments, and nice groove. I really like the change of mood at :58, worked well.

Has potential I think!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Tangmo,
The intro grabs as it should and I like the way you got those pushes working for the rhythm. Its fun,upbeat pop as is and would be tantalising for a singer with talent to play with.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I see nothing wrong with that.... it has a funky sort of groove that is quite infectious.

Nice work

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Tangmo,

Really fun!
I also enjoyed your mixture of the two styles.
It has a Latin scent.
I think that the simple chord progression fits very well in both styles and is very useful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Made our collective heads spin reading about how you put this together.
Quite above our production paygrade.

Sans vocal it sounds as though it would well fit with film credits or in an advertising situation.

The mix sounds excellent on our monitors.

Nice experiment!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A catchy pop tune with some nice funk and soul flavor, a good sounding bass and an effective rhythm. And a story mentioning cats can't go wrong smile I hope to hear the final song with vocals one day.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
jannesan took the adjectives I was going to use: "catchy pop". Short and sweet.

Fun listen.

I hear you on vocals. Maybe someone on the board can jump in? One of the reasons I'm using Synthesizer V is so I can stay in songwriter/producer mode. That's especially helpful at times when allergies are going full bore. The downside is it's yet another layer of software to learn, so it may not be a good match for you.

Anyway, I enjoyed the piece, thanks for reposting! smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran

Tangmo,
fun piece! A lot going on here. Sounds modern, yet injected with a good dose of vintage funk. Drums are little busy for my taste, but I understand they do work well with this composition. Good mix.

P.S. Here is a "recycled" & modded suggestion. I took couple of master classes with a jazz singer/teacher a few years back. One of most valuable lesson points she made was to "find your voice". She understood that I am doing music things for fun, as a hobby (not stage) and suggested not to stick to specific tone or vocal character. I was doing it all along, but not consciously. When she put it in "words" it became much more clearer and I try to remember that every time I try to sing something. Now the modded part. If it was me, I would try to sing it anyway, even if it has to be near whisper or even if you do not hit certain notes, just to sketch it out. Maybe you will like it. If not, it could be a good guideline/map for a future vocalist or even with Vocal synth as David above suggested.

Misha.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Tangmo,

I find your composition very pleasant. The arrangement is great. Lots of variation and I enjoyed the sax. It's very catchy at the rhythmic level. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Last edited by Derochette; 04/06/21 09:18 AM.

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A very well constructed and arranged piece.

Enjoyed the listen.

Peter

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Fun, energetic, and catchy music!!! Love the band you've put together!! A really enjoyable listen!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tangmo,

This is really uplifting to sit back and listen to. It finished playing about 10 minutes ago and I can still hear it popping away in my mind! It's super-catchy.

The production sat really comfortably in my headphones. I didn't anything that was out of place.

Using the two complementary styles was an excellent touch. It's not something I do in my productions but, after hearing this, I'm definitely going to try it!

Thanks for a great listen and thanks for giving me ideas!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,516
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195