Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Music can be as addictive as fast food, money, and alcohol

https://www.studyfinds.org/music-addictive-fast-food-alcohol/

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting article. I think the last paragraph is the most important part.

Music is much better than alcohol as you can't get a DWI with music and it is also much better than fast food. You don't get the runs with music, hence the name fast food!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My name is Misha and I am musicaholic.

Bob, thank you for sharing, good read!

P.S. check this out:
Cheese

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Might as well face it I'm addicted to music ♪
Might as well face it I'm addicted to music ♪

At least it's legal

And I'm not going to any 12-step program.

Notes ♪

♪ with apologies to Robert Palmer

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
The only thing I would take issue with, and maybe Bud will have opinion given his work life calling, is the use of the word "addictive". If you suddenly have no music you wouldn't go through physical withdrawals commonly associated with addiction deprivation. Liking something a lot is not necessarily being addicted to it.

I can honestly say that if I suddenly lost my hearing I would still be able to hear Mozart in my mind.

I liken this theory and thesis to the scenario I am going to describe here.

Luigi has a string of pizza shops all over Anytown. Luigi devoted his life to pizza for 45 years. Finally Luigi retired, sold his pizza empire, and never ate pizza again. I don't know that you can say that Luigi was "addicted" to pizza any more than Mario who cam in to Luigi's flagship location and ate pizza every day Luigi was open. They just liked pizza a lot. But once Luigi was done with the pizza business, he realized that he was sick to death of pizza and never made or ate pizza again.

So where does "addiction" fit in there?

I base that scenario only on my personal take on music. Right about now in my life makes 65 years since I started. I am really pretty much music-ed out and really care very little about it. Unlike people who have never been anywhere but the fan zone and who HAVE to have those stupid earbuds tucked into their ears every waking moment, wishing they were members of the "Musicians club for men". I have gigabytes of music on my computers that are never played, 2500 songs on a thumb drive in my car (The math works out to 2 trips Florida and back without ever repeating a song.) I never listen to them. My car could have no radio at all and other than teh convenience of the blurtooth I would never miss it.

I believe that just like an athlete who shouldn't hang n too long, there comes a point to close the door. You folks who still play every day and have skills are in a different group. I can honestly and freely admit that my skills have so badly eroded that I literally suck at this nowadays. I can barely hold a pick or grasp the neck because of the pain in my hands. I can't spread even an octave on a keyboard anymore, and my fingers can't move as my brain tells them to when I play sax. If I relied on this for money anymore I would be starving in a shelter somewhere because I just don't have it. I still KNOW music extremely well. I just can't DO music anymore. And it's the KNOW part that would allow me to continue to hear music in my mind if I suddenly went deaf. The sound of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik will never leave me.

Like many things I post here, the standard disclaimer is the same.

But that's just me.

Addiction? I disagree with use of the term.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The ability to resist the urge to play music, buy guitars and so on, requires the proper functioning of neuronal circuits involved in top-down control to oppose the conditioned responses that predict reward from playing the music and the desire to play the music. Imaging studies show that addicted musical subjects might have impairments in dopaminergic pathways that regulate neuronal systems associated with reward sensitivity, conditioning and control. It is known that the neuropeptides that regulate energy balance (homeostatic processes) through the hypothalamus also modulate the activity of dopamine cells and their projections into regions involved in the rewarding processes underlying playing music. It is postulated that this could also be a mechanism by which overplaying and the resultant resistance to homoeostatic signals impairs the function of circuits involved in reward sensitivity, conditioning and cognitive control.

I am sure you have seen these poor fellows at blues jams.

Due to the fact several threads posted lately seem to be completely beyond human understand I thought I would jump right in and continue and add to these esoteric postings.

Recovering music junkie,

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 04/09/21 04:43 PM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Those guys are why I never go to jams....

My point is that it is addictive in the classical definition of the word where there are physically harmful withdrawal symptoms doesn't really fit when the situation is nothing more than a time where you can't play or hear music. You can make the case about marijuana addiction being nothing more a conditioned behavior than an addiction because while people turn to it for various reasons, the chemical component of marijuana is not an addictive chemical compound. So where unwinding after work with a joint every day may become someone's normal behavior, they won't crumple to the floor in a ball from withdrawal if it suddenly isn't available. Music's level of pleasure will be different for different people. I found no joy in playing music when it truly became a job that didn't pay anywhere near enough for the amount of time I put into it. That, plus the ridiculous amount of truly untalented people playing in bands anymore, and the ridiculous racist, sexist, angry garbage that passes for music now, turned me off. I now really don't enjoy music in any way other than the creative outlet that is writing. I enjoy the writing process but I don't really care if the songs even get performed outside of the last tweaks to the writing. Thus the absence of my songs on the forum. That got old a couple of years ago. And though this sounds much more harsh than it should because I mean it only factually, I honestly don't care what anybody thinks of my songs. I write them for me. Thus I don't post them.

That was the only point of my post was to question the selection of the word addiction when it comes to an art form that in my mind is merely the musical vehicle for storytelling.

Last edited by eddie1261; 04/09/21 04:59 PM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
As to the guys who go from jam night to jam night playing the 2 songs they know, that is just a desperate plea for approval from people who are insecure about their talent and ability. Cheap applause from people who don't know good from bad is about as meaningless as it gets. A successful performance to me is when people are enraptured and sit transfixed staring at the stage because the music is so damn good they are mesmerized by it.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You pretty much nailed it Eddie. It’s all dependent on one’s choice of an operational definition for the term. Clinically, addiction would be considered to have negative influences either psychologically or physically. But the term is used rather loosely nowadays. For example, I often say I’m addicted to hard mountain bike rides and the ensuing adrenalin rush, etc.

I wonder if the level of music “addiction” varies by genre smile

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
I wonder if the level of music “addiction” varies by genre smile

Actually, even with the smiley face, that is a very valid point. The demographic who listen to the angry, racist, sexist garbage tend to have a great deal of latent anger in them and that music tends to fuel that anger. Apply the same to the rowdy aspect of Southern rock, the angry aspect of extreme hard core metal, and the laid back aspect of jazz and that paints a whole picture similar in concept to the circle of 5th. Different appreciations for different styles seems to be a common theme and they are all based on personal taste anyway. I was never one of those who elevated Van Halen to hero status. I didn't really like his playing. Lots of notes, but with a dozen of their albums I think maybe 4 solos I ever heard him play actually told a story. I was never (and will never be) impressed by how many notes a guitarist can squeeze into his 16 bars of glory. And to all the young kids who thought he invented the right hand on the neck tapping I offer yet another eye roll and a suggestion that the research Django Reinhart.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
On that note, Eddie, I've never been fond of John Coltrane. I agree he was a genius, he had complete control of his saxophone, he pushed jazz in a new direction, and there is nothing bad I can say about his playing -- but it doesn't speak to me. Stan Getz is my all-time favorite sax player.

I am definitely addicted to playing music. I gave up a lucrative career as an electronics engineer to make a living by doing music and nothing but music. (I also took electronics in school, and in one of my two day-jobs I was a Cable TV Field Engineer.)

I would have made a lot more money in electronics, but I'm a lot happier playing music.

The Field Engineer paid well, it was a 3 day a week job (Monday and Friday were travel days), but although I could do the job well, I just had to get back to music full-time. I was a weekend warrior when I had that job, but the caliber of musicians and commitment to the music of the other musicians wasn't up to my standards. Of course, they had day jobs and families, so they didn't have the time to spend on the music. But I had played with some of the best and most famous musicians of the day, and didn't want to settle for less.

So if giving up a great paying job for a happier life as a musician is a definition of addiction, then I'm an addict.

---------

BTW, I do have a food addiction. If I don't eat every day, I get withdrawal symptoms. Same for water smile

Insights, incites and some lame humor by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
BTW, I do have a food addiction. If I don't eat every day, I get withdrawal symptoms. Same for water smile

I'm that way with air. If I don't have it MANY times every day.....

2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,734
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197