Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I'm working on "Naima" (Keyboard). How do I force the bass to play only Ebs and Bbs throughout the A and B sections in BIAB?

Equipment: Yamaha 5'6" grand piano. BIAB for Macintosh 2017 --> 2020. MacBook Pro. Focusrite 2i2, Yamaha YC 88 keyboard

"Why do I have to go to school, Grandad? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything!"
- Grandson #3
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
You could use slash chords everywhere. The Bass should play whatever the slash is.

Ex.

Ab/Bb | Cm/Bb | Fm/Bb (bass plays Bb)

Bb/Eb | Ab/Eb | Fm/ Eb (bass plays Eb)

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
This is interesting Floyd. I didn't know this could be done. Thanks!

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Slash chords as Floyd pointed out.

I used it here on this old but updated gospel song.

It is Well

It's really easy to use. It will play any bass note you place after the slash.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Programming it with a slash chord works, but it becomes pretty monotonous because the bass doesn't change the rhythm any. It just plods along playing a note every beat. I was looking more for a way to make it stay on the one note but vary the octave and add syncopation, the way it would do naturally if I just let it do its own thing with the chords.

Equipment: Yamaha 5'6" grand piano. BIAB for Macintosh 2017 --> 2020. MacBook Pro. Focusrite 2i2, Yamaha YC 88 keyboard

"Why do I have to go to school, Grandad? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything!"
- Grandson #3
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
You may be confusing "slash chords" with pedals. If a chord with an /x after it plays only one note in quarter beats, it's because it likely plays one note in quarter beats under the natural root. You should enter the slash note with your chord entry by computer keyboard. (Chord name) / (New Root). Different bass RT's will handle this info in different ways. Try a different bass RT or regenerate Bass until you find one closer to your liking.

There may also be other options in the new utility tracks to "change" notes...not quite sure about that myself yet. Regardless, the rhythm of the bass will be what was recorded for that bass-line with whatever variations that includes.

Beyond that, MIDI is the option when you want complete control over all aspects.

Last edited by Tangmo; 04/13/21 03:56 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Since you want more movement from the bass (not just main notes), there are some alternatives. A bit more work, but certainly do-able...

One way would be to begin by creating your BIAB file (SGU) with your chosen chord (Bb for example) as the only chord in the verse and your other chord in the chorus (Ex. Eb) and generate the bass track and FREEZE it.
Then, continue to input the rest of your chords for the song for your other instruments to play.

The other way would be to make a separate SGU - with those two chords (if you did not want to start over to do the Freeze thing). Again, just use your 2 Bass notes and export the audio. You can then import that into you other BIAB file as an audio track.
I believe that if you name it properly (I do not know what that name IS, but others can probably tell you - Charlie Fogle or Noel Adams would likely know), and put it in the same folder as you full SGU, it will automatically load it to the Bass track...

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Genghis_McCann
Programming it with a slash chord works, but it becomes pretty monotonous because the bass doesn't change the rhythm any. It just plods along playing a note every beat. I was looking more for a way to make it stay on the one note but vary the octave and add syncopation, the way it would do naturally if I just let it do its own thing with the chords.

If you can play a bit of the keyboard, it's super easy to play the bass on it into a midi track. Since it IS Band in A Box, and since it is MIDI, you can even change the tempo to a slower BPM to play and record comfortably and then back to normal tempo for playback. A mouse can drag the wrong notes in edit mode. Move it to a DAW when you like the track and insert the synth and sample of your choice.

That's how I would do it if I wanted something other than what the RT's would yield.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks for all the input. I did eventually manage to get quite a decent bass track with the slash chord method, but it caused some weird sounds from the guitar track because that also is generating slash chords with the Eb and Bb bass. I think I'll have to explore making a specific midi track for the bassline, although I might try Floyd's suggestion of freezing a bass track generated on its own.

The tune is still starting to sound pretty cool though! :-)

Can anyone point me to a youtube video that explores the topic of making midi tracks for BIAB? I've used BIAB quite a bit from the laptop keyboard to generate backing tracks but I know nothing yet about inputting into BIAB from my electronic keyboard. I'm on a steep learning curve here!

- Grandson #3
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< I did eventually manage to get quite a decent bass track with the slash chord method, but it caused some weird sounds from the guitar track because that also is generating slash chords with the Eb and Bb bass. >>

To avoid these anomalies on other tracks in the future, Create your chord chart normally, generate the chord chart and freeze all the tracks except the Bass. Then edit the chord chart to contain the slash chords and generate the Bass track. The other tracks will not generate and the bass will follow the slash chords.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
generate the chord chart and freeze all the tracks except the Bass. Then edit the chord chart to contain the slash chords and generate the Bass track.

Yes! Thank you. I'll go back and do that.

Is it possible to use the notation chart to enter a "melody" on the bass track? Then I could make a transcript of the bass line from the original recording on Coltrane's Giant Steps album. Is that feasible?

- Grandson #3
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Genghis_McCann
Is it possible to use the notation chart to enter a "melody" on the bass track? Then I could make a transcript of the bass line from the original recording on Coltrane's Giant Steps album. Is that feasible?

With MIDI yes. With Realtracks no.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
D
D
It won't play D/D.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Dynamata
It won't play D/D.

I think that has always been the case. Not sure why. It's not that it won't play it, it won't allow you to enter it.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
What does D/D mean?

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
What does D/D mean?
I’m assuming it’s a D chord (D major triad) with the slash root (bass) of D.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
What does D/D mean?

Hi Noel

I needed to take a second look also. I agree with Matt's interpretation. That's how I thought about it any way. Interestingly, what I found was that you cannot use the Slash root for the same key. Not sure why, but it won't allow you to enter it, regardless of the key signature. I tried a few different tests.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Interestingly, the Chord Builder will allow the slash chord to be entered, and it plays it (in the builder), but it doesn't allow it to be passed on to the chord sheet.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2022-09-06_16-12-55.jpg (28.59 KB, 124 downloads)

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting observation AT. Why would that be? Is there a technical reason for this or have you stumbled onto to glitch in the program?

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Jeff
Frankly, I really don't know way it's not possible to force (encourage?) the bass the play the same note as the chord root. I've never tried it before and was just as surprised when it didn't deliver the expectation.

I think we've stumbled onto something...

There is an option in Song Settings:
"Ignore Slash Root of Slash Chords (eg C/E), except Bass Track"
If this is set, the RealTracks other than the Bass track will not play the slash root of chords. For example, the RealTracks will play C instead of C/E.

But when set that didn't appear to work for me, anyway.
I still could not enter a slash chord with the same key in the chord sheet (e.g. F/F).

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2022-09-06_22-27-12.jpg (55.59 KB, 114 downloads)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199