Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Stephen, I know your version of Naima is in the key of Bb because you said you have a Bb fakebook. If you had a concert key fakebook, Naima would be in the key of Ab. My advice to always think in terms of concert pitch stands.

But I'm beginning to think the problem here is not that you are two half-steps off, or that your BIAB and sax are not each tuned to A=440. I'm wondering if you are objecting to the choice of chord notes played by the RealTrack artists you selected. You mentioned 'blue notes'. As a test, try using an all-MIDI style. That will faithfully represent the correct notes in all the complex chords. If I'm right and that sounds OK, then your remedy is to purchase a newer BIAB version and turn off Natural Arrangement for the RealTracks.

Another thing you could do is attach the song and let us look at it and try it. Use the File Manager in the Post Options to your lower left.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Stephen, I know your version of Naima is in the key of Bb because you said you have a Bb fakebook. If you had a concert key fakebook, Naima would be in the key of Ab. My advice to always think in terms of concert pitch stands.

Sorry Matt, I realised you were thinking in Concert pitch after I posted.

As a test, try using an all-MIDI style. That will faithfully represent the correct notes in all the complex chords. If I'm right and that sounds OK, then your remedy is to purchase a newer BIAB version and turn off Natural Arrangement for the RealTracks.

I tried this as you suggested, but to my ears the MST sounds are even more discordant. Maybe it really is my ears (or my sax/playing!)

Another thing you could do is attach the song and let us look at it and try it. Use the File Manager in the Post Options to your lower left.

I've taken you up on your very kind offer. To my ears, it's closest to being in tune with the sax when I don't transpose (leave it in Bb, as per the Realbook. I'll be relieved, in some ways, to hear that it's fine for you - so I may need to check the sax tuning again. Thanks again.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
NAIMA-Coltrane-Backing-Track.mp3 (1.31 MB, 18 downloads)
Some slash chords have been shortened, so C-7/F is C-7, for example.
Last edited by StephenP; 04/14/21 07:16 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Stephen

Thank you for your kind words about my 2018 post. I'm glad I was able to help. When you've solved this issue concerning tuning. Please create another thread and I'll see if I can solve the remaining MIDI issues you are having. (Sometimes luck works in my favour smile )

When it comes to understanding transposing instruments and BIAB, Matt Finley is one of the forums' gurus. I know very little about this area of BIAB. Compared to Matt, I'm a bit like a light bulb placed beside the Sun.

One thing that Matt mentioned, I don't know if you picked it up or not, is "Natural Arrangement". This setting gives BIAB license to change your chords as the program sees fit.

Another setting that gives BIAB freedom to change the chords you've entered is the lack of "Force Song To Simple Arrangement".

To remove BIAB's choice to alter chords, it's necessary to....

1) DISABLE "Natural Arrangements"

2) ENABLE "Force Simple Arrangement" (This might seem counter-intuitive but "Force Simple Arrangement" really means, "Play the chords as written"

Both these options are obtained by right-clicking on the chord sheet and selecting "Song Settings". The image below should help.

Set both settings as shown on the image.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Noel, he has BIAB 2015. He checked and, as I suspected, he says Natural Arrangement didn’t exist yet.

I’m intrigued by your idea of Simple when using complex chords. I’ll have to try that. I had thought it was used only when you didn’t want G7, only straight G major etc.

Stephen, are you able to record a few seconds of your playing and attach that to a reply, so we can hear what you hear?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks Noel and Matt (again).

Noel, as Matt says I only have 2015, but I've found 'Force Song to Simple Arrangement' and I'll try that later.

Matt, I'm not sure I can record myself right now, as UPS seem to have lost my valuable soprano saxophone that was sent to the UK for repair, so I'm a bit distracted at the moment.

But, I'd be interested to know if the file I put the link to in a recent post, sounds OK against your playing. I have to say that not transposing the key from the Realbook is reasonably close to being 'in tune'.

Last edited by StephenP; 04/15/21 03:59 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
I had the TSA (forerunner of Homeland Security) break my soprano at the Los Angeles Airport security station. Luckily it was after a concert. Mine's just a mid-quality Yamaha but I feel your pain. What do you have?

Veteran
Veteran
OK, I just listened to your MP3.

The chord voicings sound fine to me. I would be very happy playing over those (and it's such a lovely tune I haven't played in thirty years).

However - the form goes off the rails quickly and does not match the tune as I know it.

Could you please attach your BIAB song file, the MGU or SGU file? Let me look at that.

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I had the TSA (forerunner of Homeland Security) break my soprano at the Los Angeles Airport security station. Luckily it was after a concert. Mine's just a mid-quality Yamaha but I feel your pain. What do you have?

It's a Hanson LX, handmade in Marsden, Yorkshire, UK by Alaister Hanson and his team, who have won awards for sustainable wood clarinets. The LX is their top-of-the-range instrument, I also have the Hanson LX tenor.

It was especially engraved with my father's birth and death dates, as I bought it with money he left me. So to say it's special, is an understatement.

Could you please attach your BIAB song file, the MGU or SGU file? Let me look at that.

I will certainly try - although some head-scratching may be involved and thanks again for offering. smile

Veteran
Veteran
Just hit Reply and use the same File Manager. Browse to your BIAB song file.

Very interesting about your sax! Good luck.

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Very interesting about your sax! Good luck.

My saviour here is the courier, because he called me for my eircode (like, zip code)before collecting the sax on Friday, otherwise I wouldn't have his number. This is relevant because after 7 calls and 4 emails to UPS head offices around the world, no one was prepared or able to help me. Mike, the van driver, did by asking his local depot to track the parcel and mark it 'return to sender.' So, it's coming back sooner than expected. Unrepaired, but at least I can try again (in Ireland).

Last edited by StephenP; 04/15/21 07:44 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
OK, I found some things and fixed them.

If I just give you the song back, you won't see what I did. So do this:

Add the roots to all these chords (except the last few that don't use them). For example, the first chord is not Cm7. It's Cm7/F and you enter the /root. The root on many chords gives the tension your song was missing.

Here's the one absolute mistake: your chart is wrong on bar 4 (and 8). Your chart says BMaj7/F but it's actually BbMaj7/F Big time mistake in the sound.

You didn't put the b9 in bar 10. You had C13 but it's C13b9

Bar 13 is not enterable in BIAB, so I suggest Dbm9/C

I suggest a part marker at measure 17

If you want to use a Tag, change the bar numbers above the chordsheet from 1-29 to 1-20

Then start the Tag after bar 19 and go to 21

Finally, set the key signature to Bb but use NO Transpose

Then set the key signature to Ab and DO use Transpose

Then Options, Preferences, Notation and select Tenor Sax in the Transpose pull-down.

Send me the song when you're done and I'll see how you did.

Veteran
Veteran
I read all your material but did not look at your song yet.. I don't think Nathan Hein said the slash roots are 'wrong' and I think it's needed in the bass.

I then looked at The New RealBook Vol. II, both the Bb version to make sure the chord in bar 4 was right (it is) and to check the chord in bar 13.

As a result, I have altered my song as follows, and it sounds great:

changed the tempo from 70 to 60; matches the tempo marking in the fakebook and is the recorded tempo of your choices of RealTracks

changed the chord in bars 1,5 and 17 to DbMaj7/Bb [note: this and all other chords here are concert key]

changed bars 10 and 12 to Bb7susb9

changed bar 13 to DMaj7#5

and a small change of bars 2,6 and 18 from Ebm7 to Ebm9

One more thing. You had a repeat of the first four bars, and for some reason, it played correctly for the first time through but not the second. I'm using the newest build of version 2021 and mine sounded just like your MP3 which was clearly wrong starting around bar 7. So I dropped the repeat, added four bars and copied 1-4 into 5-9. Now it sounds right. I'm not sure why the repeat didn't work correctly and will follow up on that.

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I read all your material but did not look at your song yet.. I don't think Nathan Hein said the slash roots are 'wrong' and I think it's needed in the bass.

I'm not sure what Nathan Hein said, but Ethan Hein says..."There are as many interpretations of this tune’s chord changes as there are transcriptions of it. The ones in the Real Book are real wrong. “Naima” is full of slash chords – chords with the “wrong” bass note. If you think of the bass note as determining the chord quality, you can interpret most of “Naima” as consisting of ornamented or altered dominant seventh chords." He may be suggesting that they are meant to be 'wrong' (as in...not the correct note for the chord.

I changed the tempo from 70 to 60; matches the tempo marking in the fakebook and is the recorded tempo of your choices of RealTracks changed the chord in bars 1,5 and 17 to DbMaj7/Bb [note: this and all other chords here are concert key] changed bars 10 and 12 to Bb7susb9 changed bar 13 to DMaj7#5, and a small change of bars 2,6 and 18 from Ebm7 to Ebm9

I'll try that, thanks.

One more thing. You had a repeat of the first four bars, and for some reason, it played correctly for the first time through but not the second. I'm using the newest build of version 2021 and mine sounded just like your MP3 which was clearly wrong starting around bar 7. So I dropped the repeat, added four bars and copied 1-4 into 5-9. Now it sounds right. I'm not sure why the repeat didn't work correctly and will follow up on that.

I did actually hear that myself and assumed there was something wrong with my software. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow. (Very late here in Ireland).

Thanks again for all your help with this and for your song, I'll have a listen in the morning. smile

Last edited by StephenP; 04/16/21 12:46 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
There's a difference between the Real Book and The New Real Book. I have both. The second one is legit and fixed a lot of problems.

Here's a better recording.

Naima.mp3 (7.98 MB, 14 downloads)

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Here's a better recording.

thank you again Matt. It sounds great and I really appreciate all your time and effort. smile

Veteran
Veteran
Oops - typo. Bar 1 , 5 and 17 should be over Eb not Bb.

Veteran
Veteran
What have you concluded? Assuming the pitch is ok and you are in the right key, is it better? Can you conclude the problem was in the chords used? Also that weirdness in the 4-bar repeat?

I think BIAB is quite capable of playing this song well.

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
What have you concluded? Assuming the pitch is ok and you are in the right key, is it better? Can you conclude the problem was in the chords used? Also that weirdness in the 4-bar repeat?

I think BIAB is quite capable of playing this song well.

It's much closer to my ears, as being 'tuning' with my playing than anything I've managed. The odd glitch on the repeat obviously didn't though, but I think I'll try a simpler tune with major chords, to see how that sounds.

BTW, did you transpose this back to Ab? Also, Any thoughts on the issue I have in the key signature window, where I don't get the option to chnage key OR transpose - I am forced to do both. Do you know if that's 'normal'?

Thanks again, this has been a real learning curve. I gave up on BIAB some time ago, but I'm ready to get stuck in again. I may even upgrade. If so, they owe you a commission! smile

Veteran
Veteran
I didn't transpose it; you did. That's what I think started the problem.

This tune is generally played and written in Ab concert, and that's what my recording is.

Your leadsheet (with the one wrong chord in bar 4) is for a Bb instrument to play along with the song when it is played in Ab concert (like my MP3). Thus the song on your leadsheet is transposed up one full step to the key of Bb, and you just read it as-is on your tenor to play along with my MP3.

To put this another way, you should not enter the song into BIAB using your Bb instrument leadsheet without dropping all notes and chords one full step, then transposing to see it in terms of a tenor sax. That's the most important lesson here.

Once you decide to work and think in concert pitch, these problems disappear. Think about what I play: My horns are pitched in C, Eb, F, G, A, and Bb. I don't have the slides for my Eb trumpet to play in D or I'd have that one covered, too. I think you see the problem. If my base song were not entered in concert pitch, I would really be sunk trying to keep track.

Is this making sense?

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Once you decide to work and think in concert pitch, these problems disappear. Think about what I play: My horns are pitched in C, Eb, F, G, A, and Bb. I don't have the slides for my Eb trumpet to play in D or I'd have that one covered, too. I think you see the problem. If my base song were not entered in concert pitch, I would really be sunk trying to keep track.

Is this making sense?

Thanks again, Matt. It's making sense, to some extent. I have always understood that, (using the circle of fifths), if I am to play a concert pitch tune on a Bb instrument, the backing tracking track needs to be 1 whole tone (-2 steps) lower. So, if I'm playing a sheet in C, the backing track needs to be in Bb, for example. For Eb, the difference is a minor-third (-3 steps) below.

So, yes, that bit makes sense and always did. The bit that's not so clear is that I had assumed the Bb Real Book had already transposed the chords down 1 tone (-2 steps), or else what's the point of it being a Bb book?

The only conclusion I can draw is that the lead sheets are written in the key that will cover the range of the Bb instrument. But, that's not actually the case for some of the songs, as they go to a low A, which is not possible to play on many tenors and sopranos.

Confused? I will be!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,737
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191