Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#651901 04/16/21 06:38 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I got the board in a pile of stuff in a basket...lol Everything else I built. Replaced and modified 80% of the components.

If you like amps with a zillion knobs (20 control knobs just on the front) and switches and is super sensitive to the smallest amount of knob movement, you will love this beast. This is not your dad's Mesa Boogie...lol

Five switches on the foot switch. Two Celestion G12T-85 speakers in custom cabinet. EL844 tubes that were custom made tubes in 2009 from JJ Electronics in Cadca Slovakia. That reduced the output from each tube to 9 watts from 12 watts for standard EL84's The amp will run with the EL84"s but has to be re biased.
Yes...I know I have been crazy for some time now...lol Plug BIAB into this amp and turn it up on 14 to introduce the whole neighborhood to BIAB...lol
Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 04/16/21 07:08 PM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have several "amps" that I use.

They are, in no particular order, my Mesa Boogie Studio 22 watt amp. I used it a lot on stage with several bands and it still kicks after all these years. I also have a relatively new (last year) Positive Grid Spark modeler. Allegedly it has 40 watts out to 2 4" speakers. A number of models in it from breaking glass clean to nasty metal grunge. And everything in between. I think they list 10k different configurations possible with the models and pedals available as factory default. I've just started using this as my main studio amp. And of course, my old trusty Pod2 from Line 6. It has limited models and a few FX and has been a great studio amp as it is totally silent. Direct out only into the interface. I can listen through the speakers in my studio rig or headphones.

Mesa https://app.box.com/s/23s64w6dm5n6f70132t33ao3pcvzmo1t

Spark & Pod2 https://app.box.com/s/xdoiqvsnxjp1tuyri5fyfwh6pnzj4nmr

I don't know why the pics are not displaying for me. Hummmmmmm... I used the PHOTO Icon..... hope you can see them or access the box files.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 04/17/21 05:14 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Five switches on the foot switch. Two Celestion G12T-85 speakers in custom cabinet. EL844 tubes that were custom made tubes in 2009 from JJ Electronics in Cadca Slovakia. That reduced the output from each tube to 9 watts from 12 watts for standard EL84's The amp will run with the EL84"s but has to be re biased.
Yes...I know I have been crazy for some time now...lol Plug BIAB into this amp and turn it up on 14 to introduce the whole neighborhood to BIAB...lol
Billy

Very cool. I read the reviews on those tubes and they seem to be quite nice. It seems they retain all the shimmer and punch of the 84's but breakup smoothly at lower volume and have a nice compression aspect to them as well. The review I read mentioned that the amp didn't need to be rebiased to switch the tubes.... plug and play according to the writer. I really like the lower wattage amps and appreciate the qualities they have when it comes to tone and volume and the combination of those two. I recall a certain Carvin I owned for a time. I've been a fan of Carvin ever since I bought one to replace a heavy as heck Ampeg 100w combo. It was lighter and half the power but oh my.... the tone, and the volume was comparable. I later bought a 100w Carvin, their equivilent to the Mesa of the time. With the EV speaker, that amp was just too dang loud. I sold both my Carvins at some point and switched to the 22w Boog.... and haven't looked back since. I'm a fan of low powered amps because if I need too, I can always use the direct out to power as many power amps and speakers as my ears can stand.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Good day all....

I have the Randall Commander II RG-120-212 I bought new (275$) in May 1979.
IIRC....solid state was just coming of age and maybe not so popular with the tube purists at that time.

It's still in very good condition.
A great amp, solid state, 2 channel....and would blow off your face if not careful. smile

As subjective as the choice is I'd endorse my Randall....FWIW.

[img:center]http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3002&attachmentid=34123[/img]

Have a great weekend....

(EDIT: Planobilly....you must have some great soldering skills.
Me...I suck at it.
But...if one needs and solder contacts or potentiometer posts melted?....I'm your man :))

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 04/17/21 06:00 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
and would blow off your face if not careful. smile

And that comes from an old artillery guy. He knows something about loud sounds that can blow your face off!

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight Head+Cab

I have had a number of amps over the years. They all came and went, except this one which I keep cause I can carry it without hurting my back. BTW, I just looked up pricing and this amp and was pleasantly surprised by how it has held value over the past 20 years.

Oh, I just saw the thread title. Sorry no tubes here.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (94.6 KB, 147 downloads)
Last edited by MusicStudent; 04/17/21 08:58 AM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
[quote=chulaivet1966]And that comes from an old artillery guy. He knows something about loud sounds that can blow your face off!

What?....(sorry, I couldn't resist...I ended up in mortars, lots of schlepping heavy stuff in thick mud)

Did I mention I suck at soldering.

Back to topic.....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My amp pales in comparison to Billy's custom tube amp but it more than meets my needs.

It's a Roland Cube 80XL. From the website;

"With over one million CUBE amps sold and going strong, Roland continues to push the envelope with innovative amp technology and design. The latest addition to the top-selling CUBE amp family is the CUBE-XL series, with the CUBE-80XL representing the most powerful and feature-packed of the new lineup. The CUBE-80XL delivers 80 screaming watts of power through its 12" high-performance custom speaker. There are discrete, footswitchable* channels — JC Clean and Lead — with Solo settings for each. Twelve COSM amp models are onboard, including the new Extreme, plus eight effects to choose from, including the new Heavy Octave and COSM vintage Spring Reverb, plus an 80-second Phrase Looper. A 3-band EQ with Presence control is provided for detailing your sound."

It's a great amp but this sumbitch is heavy for a small amp.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/cube-80xl/

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Peavey Classic 30

Peavey Bandit 112

Crate Taxi Limo

Roland Cube Street

Fender Bassman 250

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
A sort of Deluxe Reverb with twin speakers. Cool for studio but not stage.

I went crazy building amps for a while...lol

Billy

Metal Monster from Hell....sure to dom the lights at your house...lol

Last edited by Planobilly; 04/18/21 04:24 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That Deluxe is sweet. Looks like a custom boutique amp.

Regards,

Bob

90 dB #652186 04/18/21 05:33 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
That Deluxe is sweet. Looks like a custom boutique amp.

Regards,

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I guess it is a custom boutique amp.

Only issue with amps you build your self you never stop working on them...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
mine is a 60s throwback that cost me £70 in the late 80s. going for silly money on ebay these days.

tube watts are so much louder it seems than solid state watts so i never got the chance to crank it up on stage to get crunch/overdrive. so i'm not sure what the amp sounds like at full volume but it always seemed to stay clean used at stage volume (but with a valve warmth) and i got distortion and fx from a processor.

i also bought this ibanez pedal at around the same time for £35 but that too is now going for silly money.

both are in the attic and i must remember to tell my son what they are worth when they clear the house. as well as my 1971 Martin D35..............

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
s-l500.jpg (29.02 KB, 72 downloads)
pedal.png (231.86 KB, 72 downloads)
Last edited by Bob Calver; 04/19/21 12:22 AM.
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Nice looking amps guys! Especially like the Nomad, I've always wanted a Mesa (bought a Mesa Express 5:25 at one point, but it wasn't for me) - someday I'll have a Mark IIc or Single Recto.

You can see my amps in this pic of my home studio (I don't have close-up pics handy here at work). From top to bottom:

Gallien-Krueger Backline 600 bass amp head - solid state 300-watt (currently waiting for new output transistors to arrive)
Peavey Valveking 100 head (heavily modded with the "Mesa" mod and the "JCM" mod) - an absolute beast and very underrated
Rivera Knucklehead 55 (1994 version) - covers every sound from Fender Blackface to Tweed to hot-rodded Marshall
Carvin MTS 3212 (heavily modded, rehoused into a head vs a 2x12 combo - the speaker cab is behind on the right) - excellent clean, and tube-driven reverb! Currently using only 2 6L6's for 50w output (power transformer sags a bit too much on the heater voltage with 4 power tubes)
Epiphone Valve Jr head (not easily visible, soon to be very heavily modded)
Akai/Roberts M7 (heavily modded, 2 channel guitar amp with EF86 channel and 12AX7 channel) - very loud for a single EL84
Weber Super Reverb head kit (not functioning, bought it from a guy partially built, going to start from scratch at some point)

Next to the shelf:
Traynor YCV40 (with the pirate face in the torn grille, bought it in rough shape and added the face with a sharpie) - currently not working, probably will hand-wire something in it's chassis
Under the Traynor is the cab for the Carvin MTS3212 - good speakers, not a great cab (too small)
Kustom Defender 50 (a surprisingly good sounding amp stock, but with a terrible reverb circuit driving a proper spring tank)

Not shown: Carvin X100B head, 1990-ish (carpet version) - currently rebuilding the head as the carpet grew some mould in storage, not surprising given the age. Good reverb, good clean, great crunch and drive. Currently using only 2 6L6's for 50w output.

IMG_7737.jpg (415.31 KB, 50 downloads)
Last edited by Simon - PG Music; 04/19/21 12:04 PM.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Great looking studio Simon!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I have several "amps" that I use.

They are, in no particular order, my Mesa Boogie Studio 22 watt amp. I used it a lot on stage with several bands and it still kicks after all these years. I also have a relatively new (last year) Positive Grid Spark modeler. Allegedly it has 40 watts out to 2 4" speakers. A number of models in it from breaking glass clean to nasty metal grunge. And everything in between. I think they list 10k different configurations possible with the models and pedals available as factory default. I've just started using this as my main studio amp. And of course, my old trusty Pod2 from Line 6. It has limited models and a few FX and has been a great studio amp as it is totally silent. Direct out only into the interface. I can listen through the speakers in my studio rig or headphones.

Mesa https://app.box.com/s/23s64w6dm5n6f70132t33ao3pcvzmo1t

Spark & Pod2 https://app.box.com/s/xdoiqvsnxjp1tuyri5fyfwh6pnzj4nmr

I don't know why the pics are not displaying for me. Hummmmmmm... I used the PHOTO Icon..... hope you can see them or access the box files.

Back in the day I use to play through a Super Reverb. Clubs were bigger, people were more tolerant of loud blues and Rock. No cops standing in the street with a dB gun checking the volume level. For all the advances in electronics nothing sounds like a Fender cranked up on 10.

As time went by and there were requirements to play at lower volume levels I started experimenting with lower wattage amps. I had a Zinky Blue Velvet at around 25 watts but it was still loud as hell. Great sounding amp. I am trying to find one but no luck so far. I guess I could call Bruce and beg him to build me one. Two Rock makes a good amp but kindy pricey. I also like the sound of a Supro and I want to build one if I can find the proper output transformer.

As I got older I also got really tired of lugging around things like Twin Reverbs, B3 organs. I miss the sound but not the back breaking work. Same with a Les Paul, they can produce a really cool sustained sound that I was never able to get from any other guitar. Well...four sets on Saturday night with that hanging around my neck....no thanks.

We have very good PA systems now days so if the amp is not loud enough mic the damn thing through the PA.

There is really no answer to being jammed up on a tiny little stage without a mic on everything and a in ear monitor system with your own control panel.

No single amp will do everything well. Good excuse to buy more amps...lol

Billy

EDIT: Wonderful news. I just got off the phone with Bruce Zinky and he said he would send me the part to build a Blue Velvet. They don't make that amp any longer but he said he has enough parts left over to put one together. Fun stuff.

Last edited by Planobilly; 04/20/21 06:33 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,632
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234
38,498 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193