Go To
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi, I wish BIAB had two new notation entry mode features.

Snap to Chord Stack entry mode (turned on with a toggle button).
Here while in ether editable notation mode as you move your mouse pointer over the staff it would show you what snap to current chord stack note was going to be placed if you left click. It would automatically know the chord to use for the current stack.

Snap to selected scale stack entry mode (turned on with a toggle button however you select the scale).
Here while in ether editable notation mode as you move your mouse pointer over the staff it would show you what snap to current scale note was going to be placed if you left click. In this case you would need to make sure the appropriate scale was in effect at the time.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by bowlesj; 04/17/21 03:07 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I think I understand the second, but I'm not understanding the first. Does the first assume you already entered the chord, and if so, what is the benefit you see when the notes in the chord are already there? I wonder if you could elaborate, because this sounds intriguing. Thanks.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi Matt, in the 1st the user may not know much theory and this not know the root, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, etc of the chord. So the chord symbol is already entered and BIAB (while in chord snap mode as the user hovers over the staff) will, somehow show the closest chord note in some sort of colour, maybe sound it, maybe display (root, 3rd, +5th, +5th, whatever) and if the user clicks the left button the note is actually placed at that pitch location where ever the user has the cursor located relative to the vertical timing lines.

Something similar could be done with the scale they have selected but it would probably need to display the text description of the current scale so they know to potentially change it with the next chord.

Last edited by bowlesj; 04/17/21 04:29 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I'm also guessing on the actual function, but I'm interpreting that it means to show an indicator of the projected note position (a hover hint?) so that when the user mouse-clicks, it delivers the note at the intending location.

I must admit that I'm not familiar with the 'stack' terminology and how it relates to note entry.

Would be more than pleased to get further elaboration.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Yeah, chord stack is my invented term for the stack of notes that make up a chord building from the root and up. However in this case the term stack is note of much use I suppose since BIAB would be displaying the closest chord note and indicating what part of the chord it is.

Last edited by bowlesj; 04/17/21 04:31 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I'm really liking the idea of hovering over a note and seeing its function in the chord (3rd, flat 9th etc.). Very educational. If that's what you mean...

Terminology: I think what may throw some musicians reading your request is the term 'chord stack'. It's fine in this usage but to me, a stacked chord is another way of referring to a polychord, i.e., stacking a triad on top of another triad. Example EMaj9/Cm7

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Yes, the educational component is the idea. I got the idea when I was creating the attached picture to help one of the the vocalists in my Jazz Jams Group who sings well, does not know much theory and could use BIAB for learning to harmonize and scat sing.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB_Tool_for_Harmony_or_Scat.png (147 KB, 69 downloads)
Last edited by bowlesj; 04/17/21 04:55 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
I just did a test of entering the notes in editable notation mode to see what pressing shift and ctrl do. Unfortunately they alter the placement by 1 semitone up or down. The question becomes "Would it be better to have Shift represent snap to the closest scale note and ctrl be snap to the closest chord note". Maybe BIAB could be improved such that we users could personalize BIAB to have these keys serve the function I am suggesting instead seeing as I wonder how many need to have the current semi-tone adjustment. Snap to scale or chord makes more sense to me in that I bet it would get a lot more use. It might make sense to have a floating reminder appear when ctrl or shift are pressed such as this.

When you press Ctrl - "A7 (A root, C# 3rd, E 5th, G 7th)"

When you press shift - "C melodic major (C, D, Eb, F, G, A, B)"

Maybe where the note will snap to first gets a ghost note before you left click and maybe if even sounds.

This snap feature applies to all notes that BIAB is capable of sounding.

Now this Idea I would also suggest. Maybe improvisers could enter the scales they wish to focus on improvising with for the whole song before hand and even have them print as well. These would be the shift key scale snap to notes. These scales would change with a song transpose (so useful). To do this the root of the scale would be entered to transpose and there would be a comment attached that prints with the root of the scale. In my case I enter F melodic major as F-3 and F Harmonic major as F-6 and F harmonic minor as F-3-6. Only the F transposes and the rest is the comment. I place the scales next to the chord like this E7\C-6 then once all scales are marked on the print out I go back and highlight the scale portion with green highlight. Having this built right in to BIAB and optionally printable would allow members of my jam group to download the PDF and know what scales I am using (many do not know how to select scales to use for improvising). Again the scales transposing would be s o useful for me because vocalists have joined the jam group and I am doing a lot of transposing for my improvising.

These are refinement ideas not written in stone but clearly I would immediately upgrade if this feature was in place (especially the last one).

Last edited by bowlesj; 04/19/21 02:59 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Maybe a better idea would be to have two function keys. One for chords and one for scales. The chord function key would toggle on and off a stack of chord notes on the notation vertically colour coded to indicate 1, 3, 5, 7. These would be stacked wherever there is room for them or maybe they would temporarily cover notes already entered. And again the chord symbol is used to know the chord. When toggled-on as the user moves the mouse pointer over to the next chord it switches automatically allowing the user to quickly toggle back and forth between chords. The required sharps or flats would show in the stack. Note formations should be smaller than normal to make it easier to decipher the close proximity of the 7th and root. Maybe the alt, ctrl and shift keys could change it from showing notes to showing parts (1,3,5,7) to showing letters (C, E, G, Bb) all located against the correct notation lines and spaces. If at a line it would need to hide the line behind so it can be easily read. I think this would be better than having the letters and parts listed above. The reason to have the Function key be a toggle is so the hands are free to move the mouse. Once toggled-on another key (shift, ctrl, alt, whatever) could change the stack to (letters or parts or notes). Maybe a single key could do this cycling.

This feature would be active on any of the 7 tracks.

This feature would allow people just learning these basics to compose harmonies before they had full mastery of these skills. These could be people who learn songs by ear. They write their harmonies this way ensuring they write close to the chord tones then play it back and if they like it they learn to sing it. Once they learn to choose the scale for the in between tones they want they may decide to do the same thing for the scale.

Last edited by bowlesj; 05/06/21 04:01 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,610
Posts735,054
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191