Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
R
rcarver Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
'change by' with RealTracks in the bar settings still doesn't work.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello rcarver,

What version of Band-in-a-Box are you using specifically? When you go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box what is the 3 digit number in brackets next to the version year state? Please also walk us through your exact steps you take in the program and what the exact issue you are experiencing is for best clarity and replication purposes.

Thank you,
Ember

Last edited by Ember - PG Music; 04/17/21 01:04 PM.

Cheers,
Ember
R
rcarver Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Hi Ember,

I have Build 829 installed using 64 bit.

Trying to use 'change by' in the middle of a song to increase the volume of one Real Track but it does nothing.

Can I send you a couple of files?

Veteran
Veteran
I'm pre-release test running BIAB 830 now and it definitely reduces the volume of a Realtrack for me.

As a test can you please try this.

1) Select "File | New".

BIAB will probably load in _WLZJOHN.STY (CountryWaltz Piano Solo [85 RS]

2) Solo the Piano track.

3) Set the song to one chorus. (This is not necessary but will make generating the tracks quicker.)

4) Click on Bar 3, select "Bar settings" and put -50 (i.e. hyphen+50 with no spaces) in the "change by" option.

5) Generate the song.

You should be listening to a solo piano. When it gets to Bar 3, does the volume decrease?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
It appears that many of us are confused with how "Change By" works.

Recently, PG Music staff explained:

Quote:
Regarding the specific volumes of the "Change by" ... for the audio tracks those weren't designed to have a linear correspondence to the mixer values, they boost or decrease but less than the mixer values. I think for MIDI it adds velocities, and for audio we did some type of mapping to MIDI volumes, which is different than the mixer volumes in dB.

So the results when using 'Change By' for MIDI will be significantly different to the results for RealTracks. I think that is what you are possibly witnessing.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
R
rcarver Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Hi Noel96,

Just a side note but I don't have _WLZJOHN.STY and I thought I had everything.

Anyways, I did as you suggested and you are correct about decreasing volume but there is no way to increase the volume.

Try your scenario, but start at a volume of 50 and at bar 3 'change by' plus 50 and see if it increases.

Randy

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Randy,

What I did below, worked for me.

1) Select "File | New".

BIAB will probably load in _WLZJOHN.STY (CountryWaltz Piano Solo [85 RS]

2) Solo the Piano track.

3) Set the song to one chorus. (This is not necessary but will make generating the tracks quicker.)

4) Click on Bar 3, select "Bar settings" and put -50 (i.e. hyphen+50 with no spaces) in the "change by" option.

5) Click on Bar 5, select "Bar Settings" and put 50 (or +50) in "change by."

6) Generate the song.

= = = = =

Then I tried...

Starting the song with a volume of 50 and setting "change by" in Bar 3 to 50 (also +50).

As you've said, this does not work.

It seems that for "Change by" to increase the volume, there must be a "Change by" that decreases volume earlier in the song.

I'll pass this on to the Development Team.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
R
rcarver Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
I have been messing with it and it seems to work (sort of). If I do a 'change by' plus 127 it increases the volume by 10 or 15. If you wanted a dramatic increase in volume, it would take several bars at +127 each to get there (I think you can do multiple 127's). It will require a lot of trial and error to get the volume increase that you really want. I was expecting to see what we had a view builds back when if you did a 'change by' it would show that exact increase in the mixer panel. I don't remember which build that was and I will have to go back and try to find the songs I worked on then to see if they play differently now. So I guess my current question is 'Is the current configuration PGMusic's desired method?'

Randy

Veteran
Veteran
PG Music also mentioned:
Quote:
Perhaps in a future version, we would add a x checkbox called "Use Mixer Volumes" so that these amounts could match the mixer volumes (which are dB).

So hopefully this functionality might be delivered in a future version. That would resolve the issue you are witnessing.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
R
rcarver Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Thanks Noel,

It might have been Build 818 or 822 where it made immediate changes to the mixer panel but I don't know how to revert back, But thanks for your help and confirmation.

Randy

R
rcarver Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Thanks VideoTrack,

I am pretty sure that we had that functionality in build 818? or 822? or somewhere thereabouts and I was glad to see it. That function was removed, I think, because at the start of the song it didn't recognize a starting mute.

Randy

Last edited by rcarver; 04/17/21 06:18 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Randy,

You should have build 818 or 822 saved on your computer somewhere.

To install an older build, simply double-click on it and run it manually. BIAB will warn that it's an older build. If you select "OK" it is installed over the top of current build. I've done this many times when I want to check a previous build's behavior.

I suspect that 818 was the build where it worked. Something I used worked in 818 but not later builds. I no longer remember what it was because it was fixed shortly thereafter.

I have copies of all the earlier builds so if you can't find them, let me know and I'll share mine if you want them.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
R
rcarver Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Thanks Noel,

I did that and Build 818 works Flawlessly. No guessing and completely intuitive.

Thanks again,

Randy

Veteran
Veteran
Randy, I can tell you that Noel has been working hard behind the scenes to get this sorted. Many more tests have been conducted and an issue has definitely been identified.

Veteran
Veteran
Trev,

I've just been having a look at the work that you've been doing on this. Awesome! Something is definitely not working as well as it could be. You've narrowed it down nicely (and much more thoroughly than I did).

Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: rcarver

Just a side note but I don't have _WLZJOHN.STY and I thought I had everything.

We did a quick check and found a style called M_WLZJHN.STY with the long name "Country Waltz Piano Solo" and tempo 85. The suggestion could have actually been referring to this style.

Do you know what PAK you had ordered? It is the UltraPAK and higher that includes all of the RealTracks Sets. This does not include the Xtra Styles or MultiStyles PAKs.

Best,
Chantelle
R
rcarver Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
I do have M_WLZJHN.STY. Thank you.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>> have been messing with it and it seems to work (sort of). If I do a 'change by' plus 127 it increases the volume by 10 or 15. If you wanted a dramatic increase in volume, it would take several bars at +127 each to get there (I think you can do multiple 127's). It will require a lot of trial and error to get the volume increase that you really want.

F5 Dialog - "Change By"

It works as intended, and works the same way in 2021 as it did in 2020 and years prior to that. No change. We confirmed that by testing current version of 2021 vs 2020 on the same song.

As pointed out, the changes for RealTracks are small, where +127 will give about +6dB. (+30 dB gives 1 dB).
That's something that we can't change, because we want older songs to sound the same.
We can, as mentioned, in the future add a x Use Mixer Volumes for "Change By" Volumes that would use bigger volume changes.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>> Try my test song out with Build 818 and then with the latest build. It definitely worked differently in the 818 build.

Yes. But 2021 build 818 wasn't working like the previous years, as people pointed out, so we reverted that back to the same way it worked in 2020, 2019 etc. Which is only a 6dB change with +127, which is a small amount. Now if you use 829 you'll get the same results as if you were using 2020 or earlier. As mentioned, in the future we plan on adding a checkbox to use mixer volumes for that, and then you can choose if you want a louder response to the change by, or the old way, and not affect old songs.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
As mentioned, in the future we plan on adding a checkbox to use mixer volumes for that, and then you can choose if you want a louder response to the change by, or the old way, and not affect old songs.

Yes, I believe this will be a very welcomed feature, and definitely one I would use.

Also, with this feature enabled, the mixer sliders should be able to operate in sympathy to the <F5> bar settings. Such visual feedback would be ideal.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,614
Posts735,142
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182