Hi, I don’t know if this has been raised before but I came across a free orchestral tool “Sine Player” by “Orchestral tools”.

They have a thing called “Layers” which has a full orchestra with a number of articulations. This is a chord based instrument. Basically it plays triads in major, minor and sus4. You use one finger to select the chord. Key switches are used to change to major, minor or sus4 and the articulation type.

You can play in various positions on the keyboard to get different inversions. You can also hold down several keys (say C2 and C4) to get nice wide chording.

There are also free patches for a String Ensemble, BigBand Horns ensemble, piano and percussion. In the area https://www.orchestraltools.com/sinefactory

The link points one to the various things on the OrchestralTools site.

For those looking for simplistic orchestral sounds this might be a good thing. One could for example have BIAB generate a MIDI strings track then point it to the Sine Player - Strings Ensemble and get a jolly decent sound. Similar with brass or saxes.

Is it a complete orchestra? No it has limitations in terms of patches but it does have a fairly good sound with a savings of many $100s.

Just a thought for folks interested in a half decent strings sound or a full orchestral sound.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 04/21/21 08:04 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1