Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Amps? Before the days of affordable PA's and mixers small enough for small groups and gigs it seemed like every musician in the band carried their own amp, I mean even the horn players. It was very common to see an amp sitting behind each player on stage. Now this was a long time ago. lol

However, since I started doing solo gigs (thanks to BIAB) I gave up carrying amps pretty quickly. I figured with the pedal variety available these days (I use 3-4 at the most) why not just plug guitar into the pedals thru my Bose LII, or for streams into my mixer in my streaming studio.

Just wondering if any of the other guitar players on the forum still drag amps around?

Later,

Last edited by Danny C.; 04/22/21 12:14 PM.
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Danny C.
Just wondering if any of the other guitar players on the forum still drag amps around?

I do. My Kustom Defender 50 tube amp is fairly light and compact and sounds good, and I use a fairly minimal pedalboard (3-4 pedals tops), so it's not hard to tuck the pedals into the guitar case for me. That said, I've also taken my laptop and a small audio interface to some gigs, and that works fine too, but it's almost more complicated to set that up than a small amp and a couple pedals for me.

If I was gigging regularly I'd probably look at a different setup, but it works for me for now.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The only gigs I do now days is with some friends who don't really need me to play most of the time. So it is just for fun.

I have several amps I own. Fender Deluxe Reverb most of the time (for guitar). Two or three pedals. Mesa Nomad on occasion. In general the Fender Deluxe Reverb is loud enough and I can always mic it through the PA with a SM57. In ear monitors at loud gigs, nothing at a hotel gig.

Every now and then I drag out the Roland keyboard. Roland KC 150 keyboard amp. Play it through the PA if I get lazy...lol

If I were to play by myself, which I don't any longer, Small PA, lap top, interface, Shure Bata 87 vocal mic, guitar amp.

So...you may ask why drag all this stuff around? Quality of sound. Old school thinking...lol Also the fact that the guys are young and unload and load my stuff...lol One of the benefits of being a really old guy...lol

Only a few outdoor gigs require playing very loud...I really dislike being subjected to a Fender Twin cranked up on 14...lol I always ware some sort of ear protection.

I have both Guitar Rig 5 and 6 on my lap top that can run through the PA. I play through it at home all the time through a headset. Wife is not amused when I crank up the Super Reverb on 10, even in the day time...lol Long live Albert Collins!!

Billy

EDIT: with all this pandemic crap, I am not sure if I will ever play another live gig.

Last edited by Planobilly; 04/22/21 06:27 PM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The problem I have found is that people my age, 70-ish, still think it's the late 50s and early 60s when there were no PA systems and your amp had to fill the room. I constantly had to tell people to turn their stage down when I did sound. One guy yelled back "Just turn me down in the fronts then!" I just shook my head and asked him "Do you even grasp the concept of house PA? If I turn you down out front because you are so oud on stage then only the first 30 feet of room are going to hear you. Are you even vaguely familiar with the concept of mixing? You have to be in the PA system or the back of the room won't hear you. Let ME control the sound. You just do what I tell you to do. Now turn your stage down to half of what it is. If you want to hear yourself louder, well, I can't adjust your ego. You pay me to do sound. Let me do sound." I never had a problem with him again. Turning somebody down out front doesn't fix the problem. It doesn't even mask it. The last time I went to one of those "bring your guitar out to the picnic and play along" things I took the little Line6 practice amp. They hung a mic in front of it and it was fine. I am standing 3 feet from it so I can hear it. If the PA is properly controlled, the stage should be quiet enough to talk to each other. Sadly I have only been able to convert 2 drummers in my whole life to play in a plexiglass cage so their sound stays back there with them. If the drums weren't so loud the guitars wouldn't want to turn up.

So... little, high quality amps. Wattage stopped being important years ago.

I once opened for Alvin Lee. He had 8 Marshalls on stage. 1 head actually had guts in it, and 7 of the cabinets were empty. I watched a roadie carry 2 of those speaker cabs at the same time during setup. There was a photo once of some relatively big time act with literally a painted plywood amp stack that stood on stage next to the real amp. I wish I could find that pic. I looked.

I found one pic but it wasn't the one I wanted.

Last edited by eddie1261; 04/23/21 03:44 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I haven't played a live gig in several decades. The last band I was in was a house band gig that lasted 2.5 years. So dragging gear around isn't something I've done in a long long time. The last road band I was with had a road crew of 2 dedicated guys who could set up and tear down on their own. They'd occasionally have a friend or two with them. So the gear we had was not a big concern. I had a pair of 4x12 cabinets and a smallish combo amp to run them. Our PA was on the large side. As a 3 piece band, there was a fair amount of stage volume. Nothing crazy, but we did, out of necessity, need to fill the stage to a certain point. A number of the clubs we played actually had a dB meter at the bar and if the band exceeded a certain level, they had 2 warnings and then they got fined. We had a dB meter and we told our FOH guy that any fines were coming out of his salary. He always kept the band within the club's limits and communicated that to us.

Now days, I don't play out. I'm totally in studio for my grins and giggles. I use a few very small, low powered amps. My Mesa can get pretty dang loud, even with only 22 watts. IIRC, I used the Mesa in the house band and generally the master out was set to about 4.5 max, and that was sufficient. The players in that band were all seasoned players and knew how to control the stage volume. In the studio, I rarely turn it up much past 3 on the master. Same for the other amps I use. My POD2 has no speakers so it doesn't count.

Through the years since the house band, I have jammed and played backyard events a few times. I can count them all on the fingers of one hand. Wait.... I did put a band together that was a Christian music band to play one event. We played that event and the band disbanded after that. The event was a rally for the NC chapters of the Christian Motorcyclists Association. We played about 30 minutes of music on one of the nights.

My days of dragging gear and amps are over. Unless someone with a tour bus and a big budget pulls up in my driveway with a deal I can't refuse. Not holding my breath.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I used the Mesa in the house band and generally the master out was set to about 4.5 max, and that was sufficient.

A sound man likes nothing more than players who understand how to use a master volume control. When I see a player who only knows how to slide everything to 11 in one sweeping motion... That is a rookie and he will get a lesson from me on the first gig.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I used the Mesa in the house band and generally the master out was set to about 4.5 max, and that was sufficient.

A sound man likes nothing more than players who understand how to use a master volume control. When I see a player who only knows how to slide everything to 11 in one sweeping motion... That is a rookie and he will get a lesson from me on the first gig.

Well Eddie I agree with you for the most part. The drummer gets loud and the bass turns up. Then the guitar turns up and the first thing you know no one on stage can hear anything.

This is not the sixties and we are not playing with Albert Collins. Gary Moore is dead. Steve Morse hands are so messed up he does not play as aggressively as he use to. Even the Montreux Jazz festival is not a loud as it use to be.

The idea that you can get the same tone and guitar reaction with a master volume control that you can get with a Fender Super Reverb turned up is pure nonsense.

The only place that happens now days is at a outdoor concert, and mainly in Mexico that I have been to or play at. There are some big biker rallies in Mexico where people play old school stuff like Steppenwolf at high volume levels. At least they did three or four years ago...I have not been there in a while but the drummer I play with was there last year and said nothing has changed.

We play in a outdoor place in the keys where there is normally three hundred plus people. Some songs get pretty loud from the guitar amp but we also know how to control the volume and we do no have a sound man. We use thirty watt amps at that gig and they are turned up.

Volume control is a skill just like anything else. In years pass when I had a sound man we worked together to get what the band wanted to hear. We never had a moment's worth of issue. But I can tell you for sure the first time he would have gotten in my face would have been the last day he worked for me. Same thing goes for the other musicians who worked for Lewis and I.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

I only ever do that with ONE amp of mine, and that's because it's 5 watts and only has one knob.

As a sound guy myself, I fully agree with you. Usually I'm using either my Kustom or my Rivera, both are around 50w, and both get the master up to maybe 2-3 (depending on the drummer).

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Volume control is a skill just like anything else. In years pass when I had a sound man we worked together to get what the band wanted to hear. We never had a moment's worth of issue. But I can tell you for sure the first time he would have gotten in my face would have been the last day he worked for me.

I agree completely. Unless of course the sound man owned the PA. Then I would have simply taken him out back and given him an "attitude adjustment". Punk attitudes are poisonous in a band situation and any other situations. Punks either respond well to an "attitude adjustment" or they leave and don't come back.

Either one is fine.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Jeezzzs Bob...your as bad as I am...lol

Actually I only ever had to get rid of one guy, a guitar player. He knew better than to be smoking dope at our paid rehearsal stage that I rented. I like the guy and we are still friends but no dope means no dope.

We only had a few rules. Show up on time for sound check. No drugs or drinking on the job. Don't mess with the vocalist. She is married and her husband is a real nice guy till you start messing with his wife. He was about 6'4 and 250 pounds. One look at him and that rule was a no brainer...lol

I know some bands do some crazy stuff and if you are famous perhaps you can get away with it. I have seen my share of famous and non famous musicians die from drugs and drinking and other equally stupid stuff. Bad stuff man.

I know perhaps some people don't understand the business side of the music business. I can assure you Joe Walsh did just what he was told to do when he worked for the Eagles. Joe has been sober now for 25 years.

I refuse to apologize for old school work ethic.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
No drugs or drinking on the job.

Amen to that. I had a relatively new guitar player in a band. He knew the rules. I looked over at him during a song and he was sneaking a drink from the beer someone handed him. I walked over and fired him DURING the song.

I just smiled at him and said "You can finish the night if you want to but you won't be paid. You're fired for drinking during a gig." He started to talk back but I just walked away from him and we finished the night without a guitar player. He called me a dozen times the next day apologizing but he did not get a second chance.

Some things require that kind of rigidity. Alcohol on a job is at the top of the list, just above drugs. On one of his dozen phone calls I told him "We play 4 nights a week. That leaves you 3 nights to go drinking." And that he should stop calling because he was wasting his time and I had to get to rehearsal so the new guitar player could learn arrangements.

Rules be rules!

Last edited by eddie1261; 04/23/21 03:57 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Funny story Eddie about drinking on the job. I hired a new bass player and I guess he thought I was joking about the no drink on the job thing. He came running up to me during one of the breaks and said " Billy the bar want sell me a drink!" I smiled and said "Snake, I told you no drinking on the job and I told the bar not to sell any of use any drinks including me !!"

Shocking I know...lol Jonny Walker Red on your desk at Exxon...wonder how long that would last...lol

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 04/23/21 05:06 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
St. Patrick's Day. My sister and I were at a bar celebration. The band went on a 20 minute break and I watched the drummer down shots like they were Kool-Aid. Band gets back on stage with the drummer full of whiskey shots.

First song the drummer was off beat. It grated on me immediately. My non-musician sister asked me what happened. I told her as we watched the drummer get fired right then and there.

...Deb

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Deb, that is the best example I could ever find of why I didn't want part time musicians. I want guys who have no other income source who HAD to take things seriously.

I have several stories in my music past like that. I had a drummer show up for rehearsal with a tall boy in a paper bag. I told him this was his one and only warning and if beer meant more to him than his job he should take his drums home right now and not come back.3 rehearsals later he showed up reeking of beer, so I fired him.

I had a bass player who loved his cocaine. He showed up at rehearsal with every sign of being high. He was a LONGTIME acquaintance, since we were kids growing up on the same street. The singer walked over with his set list on which he had written "Is he high right now?" And I took that list and studied it before saying "Yeah. You got it right." And we called rehearsal early and I had to fire a guy I had known since I was 8 and he was 6. We were 39 and 37 when this went down. WHY do I have to teach a 37 year old man to respect the other 5 people involved to not come to work all coked up? That guy died at age 48 from a cocaine induced heart attack.

After firing that guitar player from the previous post, on one of the many calls he made to beg me to take him back I told him "You seem to have this notion that you are working WITH me. No, you are working FOR me. This is MY band, MY business. I hire and fire. I hired you. You agreed to some rules. You then went back on your word, so I fired you. And this is over. Go join a fun band and get as drunk as you want. This is a serious business and I need employees who treat is so." I worked very hard to train the guys to NEVER refer to a gig as "play". That band NEVER "played" a gig. We "performed". We "worked". We never "played". People would call me every day asking "You playing tonight?" and I would always respond "No. I am working tonight. I played last night when the band was not booked."

I just don't get that "band = party" mentality. No matter what you do you ultimately work for somebody. If you run your band, you work for who hires you, and you follow their rules. One bar that booked us was owned by a guy who was a southern rocker. In a band that played 4 Tops, Temptations, James Brown and Wilson Pickett songs, whenever we were there we played "Whippin' Post" JUST for that guy. And he usually tipped us 50 bucks for doing an "out of the ordinary for us" song. I HATE that insipid song. All night long we do dance music and then do a song in 6/8 that nobody can comfortably dance to? But it kept us employed at that place so I gritted my teeth and did that awful cliche of a song. It's a business, after all. when we got bigger and our price went up we didn't book there anymore. We offered him a deal but we were $200 apart so he stopped booking us. I would still go in there for a few beers after that, and out of mutual respect he understood that we simply couldn't take less money when there was more always available, and I understood that the size of his bar was such that he couldn't sell enough to justify paying us. The bar is long since gone but maybe once a year he calls me to say hello. Business is business. Friendship is friendship. They CAN coexist, but they don't have to.

Hmmm.... topic. We used amps in our band.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don't get all amped up Eddie, bad for your BP

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sometimes you just need to invoke Marshall Law...

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yep, Eddie I sometimes invoke Marshall Law...lol 1968 Superlead 100 Watt

We never actually killed the soundman but he did have to go to rehab...lol

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 04/24/21 08:22 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There you go, Billy! I saw Hendrix in Cleveland and he had 4 of that exact stack. I was in the front row and the volume was literally blowing the clothes against my skin.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
One of our guitar players a few years ago used that same stack.
With a Gibson .. silly boy.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,503
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195