Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Wow, that brings up my memories of electronics school in the 80s. I went to DeVry.

Hi Steve,

I just one day decided I wanted to learn how to repair tube amps, mainly because we had one in our band that was always giving us trouble. I started building amps and things got out of hand pretty quickly...lol It was and still is a challenge. This little dive into solid state has been a pretty steep learning process also.

At my age, I am not sure I could deal with formal school though I am sure it would be very helpful. I have been considering getting a professional to start teaching me Spanish at a much deeper level. It was never my plan to be here in Miami long term. I have become friends with people I really like and need to get past basic Spanish. Taking a formal class two days a week past seventy was also not something I planned for...lol

You should have not let it be known you went to electronics school. I will be bugging you with questions...lol

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I am trying to envision what it would be like to have a bunch of firemen as friends, because if I ever tried to build something like this, they'd be at my house a LOT!

Fire is the least of it Eddie...lol Here is some stuff that would scare most people to death who understand it!!...lol

690 volts AC for testing.

110 volts for testing.

No one but me works on stuff here so it is sort of like having a loaded gun setting on the coffee table. I know to keep my hand off the trigger...lol

Last edited by Planobilly; 04/27/21 06:21 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The hi voltage stuff can easily kill you. Even when a tube amp is unplugged there can be charged capacitors that can kill you.

Not as dangerous as flying choppers in Vietnam but pretty close...lol But then I often go cross the gulf stream to the Bahamas in my boat by my self...been crazy for a long time...lol

This boat is huge when I have to clean it up. It gets pretty small about 50 miles offshore...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What do you pull that with? A tank? That small truck seems like it would strain under that weight. Unless it has a bigger power plant than what it looks. Mt friend Andy's boat comes in at 3750 but he has a really heavy duty trailer. One time he was n a jackpot because he had not yet bought his truck and the one he had access to had a blown head gasket, and he had to move the boat to a shop. I offered to do it with my car until I heard the weight, because my max towing weight for my car is 1500. My little trailer only weighs 700 and it tows like it isn't there.

I might pick up a 12 ft aluminum boat with a trolling motor next year. Where I live there are a ton of small inland lakes. I have about 5 just within a 20 minute drive. I have dropped a line into every one of them at some point, but I fish like "Catch fish... don't catch fish... Whatever. I'm just here for the silence and solitude."

Here's a quick map of my fishing spots. And remember, I live in the city. And this is just what is south of me.

Last edited by eddie1261; 04/28/21 01:16 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Eddie,

The boat is over 10 thousand pounds, actually around 12 thousand I think. The truck is a Nissan Titan with 315 HP and a good amount of torque. The boat stays in the water at our dock behind the house in Marathon Florida most of the time so it is not an everyday event to get the boat out of the water. We have a new Chevy 2500 HD also that pulls the boat a little better than the Nissan. I have installed 5000 pound air bags on the rear axal of both trucks. Both trucks are used to to pull a 30 foot cattle trailer loaded up with claves. Towing has never been a real issue.

I don't know what the future will be. I am getting to old and weak to haul the big fish over the rail. We also have a zillion lakes and rivers here. A small boat sounds like a good plan for me also.

My plan was to be living in southern France by now. It is just not going to happen for many reasons.

Getting old sucks...lol To many "I can't do this any longer" No more flying airplanes, no more working a hundred hours a week, perhaps no more running around in the ocean very soon, and no more four set gigs. Plus I had to stop chasing cars and howling at the moon!!...lol

I can't really complain...like Joe Walsh said "life's been good so far"

Not sure how we got so far off the amp thread but I am taking it easy today, no pressure.

Billy

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Billy, Solid State is Great.

(And you can't blame me if you zap yourself on the 9 volt battery grin )

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You guys who can build amps I assume had formal electronics training to know circuits like you do. What kind of training goes into that? Do you have formal degrees in electronics?

I have a long time friend who was offered a 4 year ride to MIT on some kind of Eastman Kodak scholarship program. He DECLINED and went to work delivering appliances for a local business. And he worked that job for 25 years until the business closed. His logic? "I just finished 4 years of school. I don't want to go to school anymore. And for what? So I can sit at a bench and solder circuit boards all day?" And then headed into adult life with constant financial problems. Had he gotten that degree from MIT the world would have been his oyster, and with his creative side he would likely have been designing those boards, not producing someone else's designs.

When the world hands you a gift, accept it with grace and move on.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
LOL...well I am sure I could charge up a cap with a 9 volt battery that would wake you right up.

Solid state is great. It opens up a whole new universe of possibilities.

You need to come to Miami and visit me. Plenty fun stuff to do here that I can take you around to do and see.

Of course there is about 10 boxes of old carbon resisters I could use a hand sorting out...lol This is what purist demand when repairing vintage amps.

I am sure I must have over 5000 sorted resistors of several types on hand, funny, I am not sure how it could be possible not to have a 3.9K I needed for this little amp...lol

Billy
EDIT: I got these by the pound from an old radio/TV repair shop. They are a bit of a pain to use. They require testing each one (really need testing under a load) and sanding down the leads to remove the years of oxides. I got around 10 pounds as I remember.

Last edited by Planobilly; 04/28/21 02:57 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here, I'll help. This one with the arrow is a 6.8M Ohm with a tolerance of 5%. Actually, they all look like carbon film, pretty old technology, I think.

(well, just tryin' to help grin )

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2021-04-28_23-40-04.jpg (108.15 KB, 93 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Here is some stuff that would scare most people to death who understand it!!...lol

690 volts AC for testing. PIC1

110 volts for testing. PIC2

No one but me works on stuff here so it is sort of like having a loaded gun setting on the coffee table. I know to keep my hand off the trigger...lol

Yeah, that first pic scares me a little. There's some juice there.

For the second photo, I have several of those plugs lying around for testing wiring. I ran my own underground wiring from my back yard patio to the house, about 30 feet. I used plugs like that during each phase to make sure I wasn't trashing the wiring as I went.

You should have not let it be known you went to electronics school. I will be bugging you with questions...lol

The 80s also happens to be the last I was heavily involved in electronics. I ended up switching majors and although my degree is AAS in Electronics Technology, I had switched over to mostly computer science topics. So I'm kind of a jack of all trades in technology.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
You guys who can build amps I assume had formal electronics training to know circuits like you do. What kind of training goes into that? Do you have formal degrees in electronics?

I have a long time friend who was offered a 4 year ride to MIT on some kind of Eastman Kodak scholarship program. He DECLINED and went to work delivering appliances for a local business. And he worked that job for 25 years until the business closed. His logic? "I just finished 4 years of school. I don't want to go to school anymore. And for what? So I can sit at a bench and solder circuit boards all day?" And then headed into adult life with constant financial problems. Had he gotten that degree from MIT the world would have been his oyster, and with his creative side he would likely have been designing those boards, not producing someone else's designs.

When the world hands you a gift, accept it with grace and move on.

Eddie, lots of people have degrees in electronics and many could build most anything they would like too. On the other hand if they went to school in the last twenty years they most likely have little idea how a vacuum tube works. Others have learned on their own.
Some like me just jump in with both feet knowing nothing and are lucky enough not to kill themselves.

One of the most famous amp builders had no formal education in electronics. Leo Fender studied accounting at Fullerton Collège. Here is a link worth reading.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Fender

While you will not find my name listed in wikipedia the people who are will likely be just as unknown to you and others. Bruce Zinky, use to work for Fender as a amp designer. Mark Sampson who started Matchless amp company. Alexander Dumble designed what many consider the world's greatest guitar amplifier – if you want one, it'll cost you $50,000.
These people are certainly not household names. I could go on listing names only because I have an serious interest in guitar amp, guitar, and music in general.

This little solid state amp I am building I would have had up and running in a couple of days if my only interest was to build a working amp. I am trying to learn some solid state electronics and digging into subjects as arcane as understand what Bypass decoupling path on pin 7 of the op-amp actually means and how the value of a 100nf capacitor was derived.

The fact of the matter is it is not necessary to know much of anything about electronics to build a tube amp or transistor amp . All you need is to be able to read and follow instructions.

There are a few skills like learning to solder you have to acquire. DIY kits are readily available on the internet for sale at various levels of complexity. A million tutorials exist on youtube.

Learning electronics is not super easy but a lot less work than becoming a really good piano player.

Go to MIT if given the opportunity but don't let the lack of formal education stop you from doing anything you set your mind to do.

Learning new stuff can always be a challenge. Many kind people here on this forum have helped me to learn BIAB. One or two have advised me in no uncertain terms to go read the damn manual...lol You sometimes have to wade through some mud before you get to cross the river...lol

Enough soap box....back to work!

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 04/28/21 06:15 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Here, I'll help. This one with the arrow is a 6.8M Ohm with a tolerance of 5%. Actually, they all look like carbon film, pretty old technology, I think.

(well, just tryin' to help grin )

You got good eyes. The 5% gold band does not look exactly like gold in the photo but what else would it be. The grey was not that easy to see also.

They are old...most likely from the 1960's.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The hi voltage stuff can easily kill you. Even when a tube amp is unplugged there can be charged capacitors that can kill you.

Not as dangerous as flying choppers in Vietnam but pretty close...lol But then I often go cross the gulf stream to the Bahamas in my boat by my self...been crazy for a long time...lol

This boat is huge when I have to clean it up. It gets pretty small about 50 miles offshore...lol

Billy

Nice boat. Contender?

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Bob,

Yes, a 28 foot Contender. My dock is only 32 foot long so to get a bigger boat I need to sell the house and buy another one. My pardner and I have talked about that a lot but taken no action.

I don't need another boat, truefully I don't need this one any longer. The last two times I have gone fishing I have chartered a boat. My business partner is to busy working to use the one we own. We are both old enough that a open center console boat beats us up pretty bad.

Contender is a pretty good fishing boat and for sure very seaworthy. I have been in some real XXXX weather on occasion without issue. The boat has always been a little small for the type of use I put it to. Only 180 gallons of fuel being it's is the main problem.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/jADrPGp.mp4[/img]

Perhaps if I would loose about 40 pounds boat life would be a bit less of a problem...lol

Forty miles off Marathon in 1600 feet of water, a small swordfish. Man, just talking about all this makes me want to go fishing!!

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 04/28/21 08:49 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My 1st trip down was in 1954. The old Southernmost motel in Key West. I was only three, and have loved the Keys ever since.

Can't stand to see it now. I prefer my memories.

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob,

Yes, a 28 foot Contender. My dock is only 32 foot long so to get a bigger boat I need to sell the house and buy another one. My pardner and I have talked about that a lot but taken no action.

I don't need another boat, truefully I don't need this one any longer. The last two times I have gone fishing I have chartered a boat. My business partner is to busy working to use the one we own. We are both old enough that a open center console boat beats us up pretty bad.

Contender is a pretty good fishing boat and for sure very seaworthy. I have been in some real XXXX weather on occasion without issue. The boat has always been a little small for the type of use I put it to. Only 180 gallons of fuel being it's is the main problem.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/jADrPGp.mp4[/img]

Perhaps if I would loose about 40 pounds boat life would be a bit less of a problem...lol

Forty miles off Marathon in 1600 feet of water, a small swordfish. Man, just talking about all this makes me want to go fishing!!

Billy

Don't think I would want a wrestling match with that fella! you are welcome to him...lol

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It is not really much of a wrestling match. This is day time swordfishing. They live near the bottom in the day and 1600 feet is a good depth for them. There is a three knot current so it requires a 10 to 12 pound weight to keep the bait down near the bottom. The only way you can fish at that depth is with an electric reel.

It is a fairly complex process but once a fish is on the hook the reel does all the work to bring the fish to the surface. At that point with a fish of any real size, say two or three hundred pounds or more you need to harpoon the fish and he pulls a big float around until he gets to tired to fight much. At that point you can pull him near the boat and put a tail rope on the fish and drag him backwards to kill him or he may go crazy and kill you.

Swordfish have killed a few people doing this...so it is big game hunting for sure. Everyone I know loves to eat swordfish. I am lucky to get my share...lol

It probably sounds barberic to some people because they only see the swordfish pieces in the store or at the restaurant. Now you know.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I finally got the amp to work, well sort of. The JFET buffer circuit is still not working and I have not received the new JFETs I ordered from Mouser.

My impression of all this is that it reminds me of making jewelry. Everything is tiny and there are different requirements for soldering skills. Solid state does not lend itself to being built on eyelet boards or turret boards or even perf boards for that matter.

Discrete components can be used without much issue but op-amps and ICs need PCBs.

You need some cost effective way to build one off PCBs. One would also need some design skills to prevent unwanted coupling and other things involved with PCB design. As far as I know one off boards are pretty pricy.

The first mistake I made was not to really studying the op-amp data sheet and really understand it. Looking at a 1/4 inch square piece of black material with some tiny legs tells you nothing. This is really different from looking at a tube amp.

Anyone could solder a DIY solid state amp together on a PCB. If it worked fine, but if it did not and you are forced to trouble shoot you would not understand how to do that without understanding what is going on at each pin and why. You need more or less the same info with tubes but it is very visual. To me tube electronics is a less trouble to understand.

I am transitioning from a builder to a designer and it is a huge leap.

Fun stuff...I think...lol

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 04/29/21 09:56 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Billy - looks like you used pad-per-hole board. While not a bad choice, I personally find it much easier to use veroboard/stripboard as any horizontal connection is done for you. These are quite commonly used by DIY guitar pedal builders, myself included. Take a look at this site for some examples: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/

Generally speaking though, I usually use plain copper clad board and do the iron on transfer/ferric chloride etching route for my electronics projects. I'm also looking into having some professional PCB's produced once I finish a couple things I'm currently designing.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am transitioning from a builder to a designer and it is a huge leap.

I am transitioning into my 70s real soon here and talk about huge leaps.... LOL!!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195