Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Is There a Way in BIAB to take a Realstyle and convert the Guitar Part or all of it to MIDI so that I could replace the guitar part with various virtual sampled guitars. I recently bought Acoustic Legends HD. I was hoping to improve guitar sounds with this 19GB sample library of high end acoustic guitars.

I believe in a MIDI style there would be no problem to apply a VSTi to the guitar track to change the sound and try different sounds. (Acoustic Legends HD has 11 acoustic guitars.)

Originally I heard a very beautiful guitar picking pattern in a realstyle but the guitar had a bit of western twang to it. Therefore I wanted to modify and take off the twang on this realstyle.

Any help or suggestions on these issues?

Could you make a wave file in BIAB and then have BIAB analyse it and create a midi file and then all the parts could be attached to VSTi instruments?

Veteran
Veteran
Most, if not all, of the guitar RealTracks have RealCharts. RealCharts is a midi transcription of the guitar audio performance so midi is likely available.

However all of the midi transcription likely has a velocity value of 0, no volume, to prevent a midi patch from sounding while the RealTrack audio is playing. So all the midi will need to be edited to add velocity values.

Band-in-a-Box does have a monophonic audio to midi capability. That means it can convert single note audio, for example the sound of a whistle, trumpet or saxophone, to midi. So it may be able to convert a picking pattern as long as multiple notes are not picked at the same time. Guitar strums and multi-note picking patterns are polyphonic and composed of multiple sounds. Band-in-a-Box is not capable of converting polyphonic audio to midi.

An online program separates a song audio file into its component parts is +++ EZ Stems +++.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thanks Jim.
Does this mean that at the very least I can use my Acoustic Legends HD as a sound engine for MIDI styles that have a guitar. So ultimately, within a MIDI style I can audition the guitar track with differing sounds of acoustic guitars.

Will the polyphonic limitation in BIAB also apply to MIDI styles or is that not the case?

Is the procedure you referred to for Realstyles conversion to MIDI documented anywhere?

Last edited by Peter K. Hewer; 12/30/20 10:18 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Hewer
Thanks Jim.
Does this mean that at the very least I can use my Acoustic Legends HD as a sound engine for MIDI styles that have a guitar. So ultimately, within a MIDI style I can audition the guitar track with differing sounds of acoustic guitars.

I do this all of the time in my DAW, Studio One Pro 5. If any BiaB track name is underlined then it has a MIDI part. There are a couple of ways to get those parts into a DAW. I do not do a lot of my work in BiaB so I don't know how to change a RT to a MIDI sound there.

#1 - Use the VST and move the tracks to a DAW. For the RT you want as MIDI move the RT chart to the DAW, this will be the MIDI version of the RT and once in your DAW you can use any sound source you would like. You can also edit the MIDI track to get whatever you want.

#2 - drag to underlined RT to the mid box, go into DAW mode and with your DAW open drag and drop said mid to DAW.

Originally Posted By: Peter K. Hewer
Will the polyphonic limitation in BIAB also apply to MIDI styles or is that not the case?

Is the procedure you referred to for Realstyles conversion to MIDI documented anywhere?

I can't answer your last two questions.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Let's answer your question by looking at the possibilities. Strum an open G major chord. The G root is string 6, string 5 is B, four is D, three is G, two is B and one is G with six the top string and one the bottom string.

Band-in-a-Box was midi long before RealTracks and audio were a thing so the midi guitar strum patterns typically are really very good.

What will the open G major sound like when all six notes are strummed on the same string? Not right is the best answer. The default guitar midi channel is midi channel 7.

Most guitar VSTi can accept a midi channel to represent each string.

If you use Ctrl + E to open Preferences, then select the MIDI File button, there is a checkbox to Include Guitar Position Controller and another to Write guitar part on 6 channels.

Include Guitar Position Controller uses midi CC 84 to report the fret position. This can mess up some synths that use CC 84 for something else. When it works though it can mean the difference between strumming an open G major and a barre G chord.

Write guitar part on 6 channels enables some midi styles to write the guitar to midi channels 11 to 16. Not all styles support this option.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

Band-in-a-Box does have a monophonic audio to midi capability. That means it can convert single note audio, for example the sound of a whistle, trumpet or saxophone, to midi. So it may be able to convert a picking pattern as long as multiple notes are not picked at the same time. Guitar strums and multi-note picking patterns are polyphonic and composed of multiple sounds. Band-in-a-Box is not capable of converting polyphonic audio to midi.

Hey Jim,
I used to know where to find this feature, but for some reason I can't seem to find it in the 2021 menu structure anywhere. Can you point me in the right direction?

Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

I can't find it either. I also can't find it in the manual. Strange.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
RealBand has that audio to midi.
Don't forget you now have Direct Input guitar option that someone requested years n years ago to have smile
You can then add any FX you like.
There is also Peavey ReValver in free and full, it can change an electric to an acoustic tone.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Pat and Jim;

In the 2021 menu structure, it's located in the Audio Menu at the top of the Chord Sheet Main Page.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

Try Audio > Audio Transcribe (Monophonic) ...

Thanks to both Charlie and Noel96 for their help answering this question.

I can honestly say my mind was on audio and midi and never in my dreams imagined "transcribe monophonic" pertained to monophonic audio to midi conversion. Having said that, in hindsight the terminology applies even if it's not intuitive.

Veteran
Veteran
thanks! Part of my confusion is that I was looking in RealBand while the thread is about BIAB!

In RB the menu path is EDIT > MIDI > PITCH TO MIDI CONVERSION

i know this question is only about BIAB, but if you use Melodyne (not all versions), you can get audio to MIDI conversion of many notes at the same time.

Check out my YouTube video on BIAB at https://youtu.be/_vel48tBLKY
and please subscribe to my channel.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tiger The Frog
i know this question is only about BIAB, but if you use Melodyne (not all versions), you can get audio to MIDI conversion of many notes at the same time.

Yes, the polyphonic versions will do this. In fact I have found Melodyne to be the best audio to MIDI converter I have ever used. I have to do very little, if any, MIDI editing after the conversion. Note that you will loose the audio nuances (vibrato, slurs, etc) but that will happen with any audio to MIDI converter.

The polyphonic versions have a lot going for them other then audio to MIDI. You can change chords, change chord inversions, de-essing, etc, as well as pitch correction. This works well with RT wav files. IMHO Melodyne is a great tool to have in your toolbox.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The guitar realTracks already have MIDI, and these are called RealCharts. This is actual transcriptions from a MIDI Gutar pickup recorded when they artists played it, so the timing and velocity are as recorded by the MIDI Guitar pickup.

In addition, we have spent many hours cleaning it up, removing “glitches” or artifacts that occur with MIDI guitar pickups.

You don’t hear the MIDI during play, that’s just because we mute it. But the velocities are all there. You can get at the MIDI several ways. The easiest is to drag from the radio button of the track, at the top of the screen, and drag to the “MID” button in the drop station at the top left of the screen. Then you have a MIDI file that you can drag drop to explorer or to your DAW and play it.

You can also do this inside BiaB by menu edit copy tracks and just copy the MIDI to another track. The. You can play it, choose different instruments etc.

The RealChart is much better than you’d get from an audio to MIDI, especially for a guitar part. The string and fret numbers are present in the RealCharts, whereas their would be no string/fret info in an audio to MIDI. The string and fret numbers are present in the midi by channels 11 to 16 corresponding to strings 126 from high to low. That’s how band in the box knows how to display these midi tracks properly on the guitar fretboard and tab

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199