Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#653089 04/25/21 08:44 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Does anybody else have one of these? The guy who drove me to my cataract surgery has one is his truck and I didn't think I would appreciate it, but I did. I went out the next day and bought one. Put in the vent mount, ran a USB power cable to it, used the Alexa app to add it to my phone. Started the car, made sure my phone was connected to the radio via bluetooth, and I said "Alexa play album Soul Side of Town Tower of Power" and in a few seconds there it was. The speakers in my car do justice to the bass heavy thumping sound of TOP, and Chunk and I took a drive to the power soul sound of TOP.

That album, that I only know of after a suggestion from the now officially old Mario, is like "wow". Their play has been consistent across many player changes, but the writing on this album is much more "sophisticated" than their older albums. Some of the songs take on an air of "I belong on your local smooth jazz station as 'the uptempo break from the elevator piano music instrumental versions of songs that had vocals originally' song." A lot of more accentuated backing vocals than their other albums.

Last edited by eddie1261; 04/25/21 01:10 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
eddie1261 #653091 04/25/21 09:13 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
couldn't you do approximately the same thing if your phone is already bluetooth connected to the stereo? in the case of the Amazon device, Alexa does your bidding, but with the phone Siri should be able to serve up similar content, if you are subscribed to the source of the music.

I use my phone in conjunction with wireless air pods to listen to music while I ride my bicycle. Hands free commands to call up, start, stop or cancel music from Spotify or other music app on the phone really makes biking a lot more fun. Disclaimer: some music platforms have limited feature sets with Siri

eddie1261 #653096 04/25/21 09:50 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have a Droid so I don't have Siri, though I have Google Assistant. My only music subscription to a music stream service is Amazon Music Unlimited. I could have stuck with the lesser selections available with the Amazon Music that is free with Prime, but the first 2 albums I tried to call up require Unlimited. It's $8 a month. I can handle that. But yeah, I guess I cold have reached the same destination with just the phone, but not using my phone to play music allows me to use Waze for GPS as the same time. And there are more things I can do with an actual Alexa/Echo device that I may never do, but I can do them. I can "drop in" on home and talk to the dog if he's home alone, add to my shopping list if some thought pops into my cavernous head... It was only 26 bucks so WTH...

Also, when you use something like Spotify, you get one song by your artist and then they start deciding what I want to hear. No. If I say Todd Rundgren or Meatloaf or TOP, I want nothing but Todd Rundgren or Meatloaf or TOP.

Every day I think about one more aspect of what computers have brought us and I just smile. A lot of it may require extra hardware, but smart home technology is so cool. A lot of the OG types continue to grumble "I can change my own thermostat" and similar things but many of them likely still thing cars are a passing fad.

I remember a day back a good 25 years when my housemate at the time, one of those "my idea of a computer is for games and finding naked pictures of women" people who never really "got it" as far as what some of this stuff meant. He came home once and I was looking at a live camera from Mt Fuji and he didn't really grasp the majesty of the fact that I can see something from the other side of the world on my computer screen in real time. Totally over his head. When I got an ISDN modem and phone line he lost his mind (and never split the cost with me, BTW) because with that network at 128kbps and a download accelerator that found up to 7 hosts and downloaded a fraction of each file from each host and then reassembles the file he could cruise the Usenet groups for his pictures. Really old school networking with BNC connecters and all. Amazing to look back wat what we thought was good when compared to today's standards. I mean, we have a phone in our pockets that is also a computer, a TV receiver, a radio receiver, a music streaming device, a camera... The Jetsons and Dick Tracey came to life.

Last edited by eddie1261; 04/25/21 12:51 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
eddie1261 #655599 05/14/21 05:19 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I was using the Alexa Auto this morning. I wanted to hear Dolly Parton's "Old Flames" to hear the lyrics. The next song it played was her "Apple Jack", a song I had totally forgotten about but really always liked.

"When streaming is okay"...

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,570
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200