Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi guys,

If none of this is of interest feel free to tell me to take a hike...lol

In the USA we call vacuum tubes "tubes", in Europe they are referred to as valves.

Here is why. A quoit from my friend Rob.

"Edison discovered while working on the light bulb that if you put a wire in a vacuum tube and heat the wire (light bulb filament) electrons would "boil off" into the vacuum. The kinetic energy of the hot, vibrating electrons in the hot wire actually knock electrons off the wire into the tube vacuum. He also discovered that since opposite electrical charges are attracted to one another he could put a positively charged 'plate' inside the tube to collect the free electrons and create a current from the hot filament (cathode) across the gap to the plate. This is the 'Edison Effect,' which acts as a one-way electronic valve--heat the filament and electrons flow, remove the heat and the flow stops. It's a one-way valve because the plate is not heated so electrons can't flow from the plate to the filament. This is why vacuum tubes are referred to as 'valves.' "

(a light bulb is actually a single electrode tube!)

The short version of how we got here. Light bulbs get invented, we find out we can put other stuff in the light bulb and create tubes/valves that lets us create electronics. December 16 1947 the transistor was invented and we were off to the races!!

From the light bulb in 1879 to today...all this became possible! including flying helicopters around on Mars.

The light bulb, the brighter side of life.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
December 16 1947 the transistor was invented and....

...from that moment forward I had a portable radio up against my ear!

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
How old did you say you were Eddie?...lol

I seem to remember around 3500 BC inventing the wheel but perhaps I was dreaming. The wedge is the oldest simple machine, made by our ancestors Homo erectus at least as long ago as 1.2 million years to make stone tools.

The oldest musical instrument in the world, a 60,000-year-old Neanderthal flute is a treasure of global significance. It was discovered in Divje babe cave near Cerkno and has been declared by experts to have been made by Neanderthals. I assume there were drums before that.

I remember well those little transistor radios. That was the XBox of the 50's. I had a toy wood block printing press. We had chemistry sets and my childhood friend Bobby had Bobby and Billy's modal airplane and bomb factory. Made hydrogen gas and put it in balloons and attached fire crackers so it would blow up in the air. It was a very different world from today.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yep! I had the Gilbert Chemistry Set and the Erector Set. Then I got some little weather station that had an anemometer it and I thought I was the coolest kid ever. Then came a vacuum forming machine that made little junk from 3x4 pieces of plastic that I learned the hard way couldn't hang over the heating element for too long. A toy rocket that used making soda and vinegar for propulsion. I ruined that by wondering what would happen if I let the chemical reaction go for 5 minutes instead of 1. That exploded at about the 3 minute mark. After that was the Heathkit radio, followed quickly by a battery operated Arvin portable transistor radio. My parents bought me a tabletop radio with FM and a whole new world opened. There was a show at 10pm every night called Doc Nemo's Underground that played music that would never find a path to AM. That was where you heard the Blues Project, BS&T deep album cuts and Jimi Hendrix. And we listened to CKLW from Windsor Ontario and WJR from Detroit. They played the same stuff as WHK in Cleveland, but hey, it was from Detroit, so we were cooler that way!

All because of those little transistors.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dude! CKLW! Sunday, Sunday night...Detroit dragway...Sibley and Dix...Big Don Daddy Garlits and his hemi under glass...

Guess you had to be there and listen....I did!

Good memory...thanks!

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
CKLW
yeah, I remember
Still here

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Slap a couple of screens in there between the filament and the plate and put a bias voltage on one of them and alter the other and waaa laaaa.... you got control of those little electrons. Man I loved vacuum tube theory and playing with those circuits back in the day. I still have a box in my shop with a pair of transformers (Input and output) from a Marshall and a bunch of parts including the tubes.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I only have one transistor amp. All the rest are tube. I have parts for all the tube amps we use in the band. I still like building tube amps. Bruce Zinky is sending me some stuff to put together next week. Someone ask me to build a 100 watt 5150 style amp custom for him. People who want that sort of stuff don't seem to care what it cost. Goes into my mad money account...lol

Keep the transformers Herb. They cost more every year.
Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 04/25/21 10:50 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I only have one transistor amp. All the rest are tube. I have parts for all the tube amps we use in the band. I still like building tube amps. Bruce Zinky is sending me some stuff to put together next week. Someone ask me to build a 100 watt 5150 style amp custom for him. People who want that sort of stuff don't seem to care what it cost. Goes into my mad money account...lol

Keep the transformers Herb. They cost more every year.
Billy

They were actually pretty costly at the time.... Late 70's. I was building it from a schematic I had obtained of the Marshall 50w head. It was actually pretty crystal and loud but for a number of reasons.... especially that it was built all out in the open and was highly dangerous.... and, the fact that I didn't use 6L6s and had a hard time getting the grid bias to stay stable..... I disassembled it and put it into a box when I bought an amp that wasn't as dangerous.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes Herb...all this tube stuff of any real wattage is pretty expensive. Transformers being the big ticket items.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes Herb...all this tube stuff of any real wattage is pretty expensive. Transformers being the big ticket items.

Billy

Which is why I've got a box full of them stashed under my workbench, and plan to build a couple amps from scratch once I get some time - in 30 years or so when I retire.

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,548
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199