Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
On Bar 1, I have entered a C6 / CmMaj7 /. BIAB instead plays CMaj7 / CMaj7 / and the Guitar Chords show also CMaj7 instead of C6.

This happens throughout the song.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

How can I let BIAB play what I intended?

Thanks

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
An initial test:
Did you ever save the song as an audio file before changing any chords?

Are any tracks frozen?

What Style are you using?

How are you viewing the Guitar Chords?

Can you attach the SGU file to your reply (via the File Manager link) so that somebody here can test for you?

What version / build of BiaB are you using?

(Yes, more questions than answers, but we need to know more about your situation/environment).

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
As above. But you could try disabling Natural Arrangement for this song.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
As above. But you could try disabling Natural Arrangement for this song.

Hi Matt.
Thank you for coming to the rescue. Your suggestion seems to have worked!

So may settings and no brain space to memorize them. smile

Thanks again!

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Great outcome. I woke up early to add the natural arrangements check, but Matt beat me to it.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The file you sent sounds perfect to me (no wrong chords like CmMaj7). I'm assuming we are talking about the guitar part, (although all of the tracks sound fine).

That's an old RealTracks you're using (555) (an oldie but a goodie of Freddie style comping).
If there is a wrong chord at your end, perhaps you have an old version of the file c:\bb\soloists\RAcG034.st2
It should be July 16, 2010 (and same with the related file c:\bb\soloists\RAcG034.xt2).

If it is July 16, 2010, then re-upload that song with the guitar track frozen so we can hear what you're hearing. Note that Freddie style 4-in-the-bar comping frequently uses passing chords, that's part of the style and intentional.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
The file you sent sounds perfect to me (no wrong chords like CmMaj7). I'm assuming we are talking about the guitar part, (although all of the tracks sound fine).

That's an old RealTracks you're using (555) (an oldie but a goodie of Freddie style comping).
If there is a wrong chord at your end, perhaps you have an old version of the file c:\bb\soloists\RAcG034.st2
It should be July 16, 2010 (and same with the related file c:\bb\soloists\RAcG034.xt2).

If it is July 16, 2010, then re-upload that song with the guitar track frozen so we can hear what you're hearing. Note that Freddie style 4-in-the-bar comping frequently uses passing chords, that's part of the style and intentional.

Hi Peter,
I thought this was resolved... but it isn't.

Yes, that is the same file as you listed above.

1) The notation does not match the sound I am hearing.
2) The guitar window does not show the correct chords.
3) The guitar chords on the notation window does not show the same chords as written on the arranger window. Yes, the text shows C6 but the fingering diagram shows CMaj7.

This is very confusing to me, as I am trying to learn some Jazz chords and I simply don't know which fingering pattern to use. I play by ear (would love to be able to read notation) and I definitely don't like the sound of the C6 being replaced with Cmaj7 as the first chord and later down the chart.

Another thing...
When I try to use the guitar tutor and select the "Play Chords Through MIDI" no midi sound is heard. I can only hear the MIDI sound if I copy the Guitar track to either the Melody or the Soloist. What am I doing wrong?

I attach the .SGU file with the frozen Guitar Track as requested.

Thanks.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
> and I definitely don't like the sound of the C6 being replaced with Cmaj7 as the first chord and later down the chart.

Please turn off the natural arrangement feature. Then you get the exact chord you requested. The “natural arrangement” feature is like handing a leadsheet to a professional musician - where you might write C6 CMaj7 and the pro musician will just look at it and think “C” with added maj7, 9, 6th etc. as they see fit.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
> and I definitely don't like the sound of the C6 being replaced with Cmaj7 as the first chord and later down the chart.

Please turn off the natural arrangement feature. Then you get the exact chord you requested. The “natural arrangement” feature is like handing a leadsheet to a professional musician - where you might write C6 CMaj7 and the pro musician will just look at it and think “C” with added maj7, 9, 6th etc. as they see fit.

I did turn off natural arrangement and now problem "1)" is resolved.

The rest is still remain unresolved.

When I click on the RE-Generate icon I can briefly notice a yellow Piano 2 text appearing on the Soloist track, for about 2 seconds and then it disappears. Is this normal? Anyway, like I said, the rest is still unresolved.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
> This is very confusing to me, as I am trying to learn some Jazz chords and I simply don't know which fingering pattern to use. I play by ear (would love to be able to read notation) and I definitely don't like the sound of the C6 being replaced with Cmaj7 as the first chord and later down the chart

If it was me, I would just look at the guitar fretboard, and forget about the notation. Just watch what the pro is playing, and if you like it, copy it. If needed, slow the whole thing down using the % control beside the tempo.
Then you’re doing two good things:
1. Improving your ear by playing what you hear. You listen to how the pro is playing it (timing, attack etc) and see the notes he is using, and you duplicate it,
2. Improving your guitar fretboard “visual recognition” so you can “sight read” what a guitar player is playing just by looking at their fretboard, that is a great skill you can use, when watching guitar YouTube videos etc.

> When I try to use the guitar tutor and select the "Play Chords Through MIDI" no midi sound is heard. I can only hear the MIDI sound if I copy the Guitar track to either the Melody or the Soloist. What am I doing wrong?

Not sure. Make sure you have latest version (833). We will look into that. Until then, If you want to hear them, copy the track to the soloist track.

The guitar tutor is a good way to learn chords and that applies if you just see the chords or also hear them played by the tutor.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B

Not sure. Make sure you have latest version (833). We will look into that. Until then, If you want to hear them, copy the track to the soloist track.

The guitar tutor is a good way to learn chords and that applies if you just see the chords or also hear them played by the tutor.

I have the latest, build (833).

Something its not right... There is no point of having the guitar Chords displaying the wrong pattern.

Can someone else please check the file that I uploaded to see if it display the chords correct? Also to check if you can use the Guitar tutor playing through MIDI?

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Earlier, Peter mentioned that this was an older RealTrack. In the first days of RealTracks, around 2008/9 I reported that on some songs, the piano would simply drop out on a mMaj7 chord. The problem was quickly fixed, something about an index. I didn't have a guitar playing on my songs (this was before nylon Brazilian guitar RealTracks), so perhaps that particular track has the same problem and it just hasn't been noticed until now?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Earlier, Peter mentioned that this was an older RealTrack. In the first days of RealTracks, around 2008/9 I reported that on some songs, the piano would simply drop out on a mMaj7 chord. The problem was quickly fixed, something about an index. I didn't have a guitar playing on my songs (this was before nylon Brazilian guitar RealTracks), so perhaps that particular track has the same problem and it just hasn't been noticed until now?

Tried different Styles. No difference.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The Guitar chord diagrams and everything else looks fine to me

For example, anything look wrong on this screenshot? The chord diagrams aren't meant to match the guitarists playing at that time. They are just showing typical jazz chord examples of the chords.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
GuitarChordDiagrams.PNG (18.58 KB, 66 downloads)

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Peter, This is what I see.

Not sure how to insert the image, on this message, so I uploaded it with the file manager (just getting tired trying to solve BIAB problem and can't think straight.)

I have pinpointed the No MIDI sound on the Guitar Tutor window... it is driver related. I will open another thread to explain and for help resolving it.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Wrong chord pattern.png (29.07 KB, 58 downloads)
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The jazz diagrams are allowing some embellishments, you could try the pop ones if you don’t want that. In BiaB jazz, C6 and CMaj7 are considered similar chords for lots of things. For example, the styles, which is why you’re often seeing maj7 voicings on a C6 chord. The pop and country ones don’t do that. This is all by design.

If you’re interested in Freddie 4 in the voicings, forget about the chord diagrams and look at the tab below the notation, or just watch the on screen guitar. And for jazz, when the chord is C6, expect jazz musicians (and BiaB) to take liberties with it and play extensions like C69 , CMaj9 etc.
If you want more exact voicings, choose pop diagrams. If you want open string “campfire” voicings, choose Folk.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Thank you for explaining this to me, Peter. This information will be useful to many people with the same knowledge as me, regarding Jazz.

Regarding the Audio problem mentioned in my posts above, I have started a separate topic here:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=654137#Post654137

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195