Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
90 dB #654745 05/07/21 05:08 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Like most here I've performed a variety of roles over the years. Here are my main roles in no particular order:

radio announcer, electronics technician, traffic signal installation and repair, electrician, explosive ordinance disposal (EOD), pneumatic and hydraulics technician, computer technician and manufacturer's field engineer.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
eddie1261 #654795 05/07/21 11:36 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The bridge toll was probably half of your purchase back then!
US Guv probably made more off of it smile

Just wondering when it was.
Was the store a tiny little place up the road from the bridge, or later when they took over the mall right beside the bridge?

One had on the street parking and one had a parking lot if that helps ..

Old store was maybe 800 sq ft, newer one is huge with multiple rooms.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
90 dB #654811 05/07/21 02:04 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Oh wow. Probably the last week of August in 1987. I have very little memory about the place other than it was the first music store on the US side of the bridge. I wasn't going to veer too far of the main streets because I was using the visual equivalent of the breadcrumb method for knowing the way back across. "Okay I am passing this shop. Then that shop." And then reversed the landmarks on the way back.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #654812 05/07/21 02:14 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I have very little memory about the place other than it was the first music store on the US side of the bridge

Yeah that could have been either location, since both were closest to the border at the time .. but apparently you were in one of them smile
Anyway thanks for the business, I'm sure it will propagate to my inheritance some day .. <grin>

rharv #654857 05/08/21 04:46 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
Yeah that could have been either location, since both were closest to the border at the time .. but apparently you were in one of them smile

The only other thing I remember is that the older guy working there kept telling the young kid "It's all your fault."

2. Send it to us.
90 dB #654870 05/08/21 07:24 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
90 dB #654872 05/08/21 07:33 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Oh geez not this again .. thanks Mac

90 dB #654905 05/08/21 02:26 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'll give the last 40 years or so..... some of this overlapped but I'm not drawing a timeline for you.

Full time musician: ( Road Band for several years in several bands ) Also known as "The lean years"

Part time musician: ( House band for 2.5 yrs )

Electrician: Electrical construction company, Plant Electrician

Shift Supervisor: I was promoted from plant electrician to supervisor over 40 people

Fired from the plant. They didn't know they did a BIG favor to me.

Started my own Electrical and electronic security business. Ran it over 30 years

Retired: Work part time with the business and work around the farm.

Hobbies: ( in no particular order) Training cadaver dogs, Writing and recording Music, loving the woods life and the life on the farm

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Guitarhacker #654943 05/09/21 04:33 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So adding those things up Herb, obviously you know electricity, and I will also assume you wired your studio building. So my question is this. How big a circuit breaker does that studio run on? Knowing that not every piece of gear is not always powered on, and knowing what I typically have powered on at once running on a 15 amp breaker, can I then assume that I could tap off the power in the garage that runs on a 20 and pretty much only powers the garage door opener? (Which, of course, only draws power when it is going up or down.) If I could break off of that it would make life easy if I built that studio building. I'd only have to trench about 10 feet from the garage to bury the conduit. The power in the upstairs studio as it is right now powers the computer and monitor, 2 powered speakers, and a keyboard or guitar amp, depending on what I am doing. I don't pop the 15 amp breaker, so I can't imagine I'd pop a 20! I plan to have skylights for daytime use and the same lamp I have up there now if I work at night. I would use spray foam insulation so it won't be loud.

Really considering this! My local code allows me 200 sq ft without a permit, so I'd go 14x14 (192). And if there are no permits for size, I can have my friend run that electric over without a permit too since the city won't even know I am building. Probably looking at a mini split for HVAC, but still doing research. I don't even know yet if they run on 110 or if I'd need 220 for it. If it does, THEN the game plan changes. Though as I think about a 14x14 room, a mini split seems like WAY overkill. I heat a 12x14 bedroom with a portable heater. Logic would seem like a portable cooler would do the same. Even a 5000 BTU room AC would be way too much for that space. Before my house had central AC I cooled a 16x14 living room with a 5000 BTU window AC and it got TOO cold in there. I have 2 small ceramic room heaters. Room HVAC seems like it may be an expense I don't need to incur.

Last edited by eddie1261; 05/09/21 05:18 AM. Reason: typos

2. Send it to us.
90 dB #654982 05/09/21 07:04 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie, first question is do you have room in you electrical panel to add another circuit breaker?

I can run all of my studio stuff on two 15 amp circuits.

In my garage I have A electronics workbench that could run off 20 amps but I have a 15 amp and a 20 amp circuit because I have a portable AC on wheels. It just failed yesterday and I replaced it with a new one 8500 BTU. It cost $500.

With the building you are talking about a window unit would be the best option. That needs to be on it's 20 amp circuit. You can also plug the two heaters into that outlet in the winter.

The size of the AC depends on the insolation in the walls, floor and roof.

So...There is no issue with coming off existing breakers IF the circuit in the house is not being used at the same time as the new building. That arrangement most likely will not pass electrical code.

Best case scenario is to install two new 20 amp breakers in you panel if you have the space. Breakers are cheap enough and all the other wire to the building will be the same.

You do not want you studio equipment running on the same circuit as the AC/Heat do to voltage spikes and noise in general.

If the ground is not too hard I would advise driving a additional ground rod into the ground next to the new building.

I would also run CAT 5 or whatever in the same trench. Keep the router/switch in the house. Fiber would actually be better but that gets pretty pricy with the conversion boxes from CAT to fiber.

You can always use wireless but for me with a one gig fiber connection to the internet I don't use wireless much except for my cell phone.

The skylights will add to the AC needs. Spray insolation is pretty pricy. Foam in 4X8 sheets is a good option. Actually none of the insolation works very well. I had six inch walls in my studio in Arizona with six inch insolation and you could hear the drums a quarter mile away.

I finally put sound attenuation blanket in one room of the studio. Not cheap!

PM me if you want my phone number and I will answer all your questions.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
90 dB #654984 05/09/21 07:18 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good advice keeping whatever AC you get on a different circuit, for noise purposes as well as load.

I would only suggest using at least 5e or 6 Ethernet cable, since 5 is limited to 100 Mbps and we are quickly advancing past that.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Planobilly #654987 05/09/21 07:38 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for that detailed insight Billy. I will hit the high notes.

Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Eddie, first question is do you have room in you electrical panel to add another circuit breaker?

I have room for 8 more breakers.
Quote:
With the building you are talking about a window unit would be the best option. That needs to be on it's 20 amp circuit. You can also plug the two heaters into that outlet in the winter.

That's the kind of thing I wouldn't have known. With whole house central air I never plug a room/window AC in to know that. The AC would be mounted in a slot cut into the wall because I will probably not have windows (That can be broken out by thieves. I live in the hood.).
Quote:
The size of the AC depends on the insolation in the walls, floor and roof.

I had planned to do 2x6 studs instead of 2x4. That only cuts into room space slightly and allows for more insulation. If I don't do spray foam I will go with Roxul. Remembering that expensive is a relative term and this is a small room, it'll be okay. I will have stuff in that building I want insulated from the cold. This is only 192 sq ft.
Quote:
Best case scenario is to install two new 20 amp breakers in you panel if you have the space. Breakers are cheap enough and all the other wire to the building will be the same.

Likely how it will go. In fact there are 4 breakers in there just sitting in slots, not even wired to the power legs in the box. Just there to be there for future expansion. Like I might be doing now.
Quote:
If the ground is not too hard I would advise driving a additional ground rod into the ground next to the new building.

Not a problem in Ohio. The one next to the house is down 6 feet.
Quote:
I would also run CAT 5 or whatever in the same trench. Keep the router/switch in the house. Fiber would actually be better but that gets pretty pricy with the conversion boxes from CAT to fiber.

I had planned all along that if I do this it will be hard wired. I have a guy for that! Former co-worker still has rolls of CAT5 and cable ends in his home at all times. That would run through conduit in a trench underground to the place I bring it into the house, which is the room where my switch is. (I have a switch in the bedroom for 2 things to run on CAT5. That switch runs under the floor to another switch, the one in the room where I am sitting right now, which is the one that goes to the Linksys router. That "main" switch is where that building would connect directly to.)
Quote:
You can always use wireless but for me with a one gig fiber connection to the internet I don't use wireless much except for my cell phone.

I try to avoid wireless unless there is no option. 3 PCs in this room where I am sitting and a computer and smart DVD player in the bedroom are all on the 1 gig ethernet home network, connected to my 230 mbps internet connection.
Quote:
The skylights will add to the AC needs.

I know that but the idea of using natural light makes me happy.

Very useful, precise information. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

2. Send it to us.
Matt Finley #654988 05/09/21 07:45 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I would only suggest using at least 5e or 6 Ethernet cable, since 5 is limited to 100 Mbps and we are quickly advancing past that.

The guy who would handle that for me only uses 6. AND he works for chicken wings!! Once in a while he needs some supporting keyboard parts. Once in a while I need his wiring. We barter!

He is also the guy who helped me troubleshoot my network and realized I had both ends of a cable plugged into the switch. I STILL can't believe I did that! Yeah it was an accident, but I am usually the one who makes people crazy as I triple check all the little details.

My ISP did this without even telling us.

2. Send it to us.
90 dB #654989 05/09/21 08:06 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Speed test...lol

AT&T lies about everything but for the most part I get 850 Mbps plus up and down 99% of the time.

That makes near real time collaborations possible within 1000 miles all other things being equal. Even to Italy my bass player buddy and I have played over Zoom and Skype at times when everything was working right. We both have high speed internet. Of course there is latency but not to bad at times. Of course there is no controlling the signal path.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
90 dB #654993 05/09/21 09:05 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

+++ HERE +++ is an assortment of 115 VAC window units that heat and cool.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
90 dB #654996 05/09/21 09:20 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Nice find Jim. I didn't know there was such a thing as a combo unit. Reminds me of the joke about the guy who thought the thermos was the most amazing thing ever because it kept hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold. I mean, how does it know?

2. Send it to us.
90 dB #655004 05/09/21 11:55 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie, if you live in the hood and want to secure the building as much as possible Lowe's also has a portable 110 volt AC with heat that rolls around on wheels. Now you only need to cut a small round hole for the exhaust air and and a tiny hole for the water drain.

10,000BTU heat, 8500BTU AC cost $525 where I live. I looked at one yesterday but obviously I have no need for heat where I live.

The portable AC unit serves the duel purpose for me when the power goes out in a hurricane because it will run on one of the two generators I have.

I can deal with everything else but when I have no AC I am going to a hotel...lol

Same thing with the car. When the AC stops working call a wrecker...lol

Also there are some very simple door locks that make it almost impossible to break in unless you know the trick. Something used on cabins a hundred years ago.

I will see if I can find an example.

One other thing to consider. Ac makes a hell of a bunch of noise...fan, compressor. I put my AC in a small remote enclosure and piped in the air to my studio

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Planobilly #655011 05/09/21 01:58 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You guys talking about sheds and such made me think about this tune we did 20+ years ago <grin>

/Amps set up right on the front stoop
//run down place and a yard like a zoo
///he plays on feel, short on technique, long on zeal
http://bobandbarryshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/OlManOfTheWoods.mp3

90 dB #655012 05/09/21 02:00 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
All points to ponder, but remember this one thing. The only time I record with a mic is to do vocals. And even on the hottest of days I can turn the AC off for 4 minutes to sing. Everything else I do is line level and noise doesn't factor in.

As far as living in the hood, the gate to my back yard has a padlock on the hasp. So a thief would have to work his way into my driveway, cut a lock off, open that noisy chain link gate, break into a building through a door with bars over it, all while dealing with motion sensing lights in the yard and in the building, also while NOT alerting this dog who twice a week wakes me up when he hears/smells deer in the woods behind my house, 75 feet away. And if I let this dog out, though he is friendly to people we meet also knows when to NOT be friendly, the pit bull would come out and the thief will be pinned to the ground looking up at my AR-15. I have only seen him think he needed to be protective once in the 7 months I have had him, and it was a sight to see. He will protect the fat guy who gives him food and treats if called upon to do so.

And the last thing to factor into this is how little I really play anymore, though I think if I invest this kind of money into building this little haven I would use it more. My upstairs studio is dingy, oddly shaped, and just not pleasant to be in. The AC doesn't cool it on par with the first floor so when it's 72 downstairs it's 88 upstairs. When Herb posted pics of his little music getaway room, just seeing that room made me want to do some work. He did such a great job building it and paid attention to the comfort aspect that it is really inviting. I am already looking at wall art and calculating how many guitar hooks I need!!

Last edited by eddie1261; 05/09/21 02:03 PM.

2. Send it to us.
rharv #655013 05/09/21 02:05 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow Harv. Talk abut art rock!! Love it!

2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,588
Posts734,754
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191