Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I'd like to make one last point. In my mind it's more important to learn how to use the tools you have than acquire more tools. You can have access to the most expensive and best sounding recording equipment available but non of that counts for much until you learn to use it.

Record with what you have! Have fun! Make mistakes! You haven't experienced recording until you recorded the perfect track ... and then accidentally erased it! I've heard recordings on the internet that were recorded with a media player (MP3 player) that sound better than anything I'll ever record. But these people have spent hours learning the limitations of their equipment and how to use the equipment to their best advantage.

Record and share the joy with us!

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966

Howdy Cathie....But, I think it's prudent in the long run to exceed that 2 input perception if it's within one's budget.

...It's a bottomless abyss of learning but has many rewards for those that stick with it.

Good luck on your quest.

Hi chulaivet, thank you! I appreciate your encouragement. Had to laugh at your comment about the bottomless abyss! It does feel that way some days.

Love is always worth the risk.

HP laptop; Windows 10 Home 64 bit; core i5; 2.40 Ghz; 8 GB RAM; 256 GB hard drive; BIAB 2021 Build 835.
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
I'd like to make one last point. In my mind it's more important to learn how to use the tools you have than acquire more tools. You can have access to the most expensive and best sounding recording equipment available but non of that counts for much until you learn to use it.

Record with what you have! Have fun! Make mistakes! You haven't experienced recording until you recorded the perfect track ... and then accidentally erased it! I've heard recordings on the internet that were recorded with a media player (MP3 player) that sound better than anything I'll ever record. But these people have spent hours learning the limitations of their equipment and how to use the equipment to their best advantage.

Record and share the joy with us!

Now, Jim, I can't begin to tell you what this means to me. All this ongoing frustration has taken the joy of music out of my life. I was listening to a song I recorded in 2015, just me and Gizmo the keyboard in the dining room, and it's not perfect by any means and certainly not professional, but nothing to be embarrassed about either--and hey, it's done, it exists, and I can listen to it! And when I finished recording it, I was on fire to do more... but these days when I finally give up on a song I'm ready to tear my hair out and walk away from music forever. Definitely need to change that energy and get back the flow and love! Having all these songs waiting, waiting, waiting for me to be able to get them to work just feels stagnant to me. I want to get them in, get them done, and go on to the next one--not that I'm not willing to put in the time to make them sound good; I truly am. But I never seem to get that far.

You definitely have my deep sympathies on that erased track!!! I had to do all my songs in one track before because I didn't know how to splice takes together, so the thing which got me was finally doing a perfect take and the cat meowed loudly in the last bar. **headdesk** I learned pretty fast to record at night with the air conditioner off and all the critters locked into a bedroom!!

Thanks again for your encouragement. I'll keep going.

HP laptop; Windows 10 Home 64 bit; core i5; 2.40 Ghz; 8 GB RAM; 256 GB hard drive; BIAB 2021 Build 835.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Cathie
Hi chulaivet, thank you! I appreciate your encouragement. Had to laugh at your comment about the bottomless abyss! It does feel that way some days.

You're welcome.

Regarding the 'abyss' smile....I'm 74, been doing this for 40 years and I still haven't landed on the bottom. (isn't that a reassuring thought for you smile )
The more I learn the less I seem to know....the irony.

Have a good one....

(EDIT: and Jim is correct. Learn to get the best out of the tools you have before. Great recordings have been done on MOR gear. )

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 06/02/21 01:39 PM.
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
Regarding the 'abyss' smile....I'm 74, been doing this for 40 years and I still haven't landed on the bottom. (isn't that a reassuring thought for you smile )

LOL... um... ever so reassuring? Ah well. A lifetime of learning is a good challenge to accept.

I **haven't** been doing this for most of my life--dropped out of college--you might remember when they started firing music teachers wholesale and then shutting down the grade schools because "the baby boom was over"? There went MY career up in smoke. Spent the next 37 years silent inside, and the music only came back 7 years ago. It's been a challenge every step of the way, not least because my mental image of myself as a musician was a 19 year old multi-instrumentalist with speedy fingers and an impeccable sense of rhythm. OY that did not carry over! Beyond rusty!! OY! But I kept at it.

After a couple years I went back to school (theory made my soul sing) and probably would have graduated and gone on for my master's but I got cancer and had to drop out again. I had expected BIAB would let me pick up where I left off but sheesh, was I wrong. Still, I think I will eventually get it. Last night I tried the song I started this thread about with a different style (Drama Pop with Thump, lol) and was just utterly blown away by how right it was and how good it sounded. Now we're back to the weak link: I still have to sing it. A person should not have to deal with stage fright in her own dining room, but yanno... microphone. **eyeroll**

But I'll get there. I have tons of help from everyone here. It's going to work, maybe not on my timetable, but eventually, it's going to work.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, you will get it to work. If I can do it anyone can!

It sounds like you have BiaB down when it come be adding chords and picking a style. That's great! Just remember baby steps. Don't try to accomplish everything a once as that is a road to total failure.

Don't feel to embarrassed as I also have in my room stage fright when it comes to a mic!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Thank you, Mario!

I'm working on bar and chord settings now. Bar settings seem pretty straightforward, but oy, chord settings... they don't work and for the life of me I can't figure out why. It seems like a no-brainer to set shots or held chords, but so far they have zero effect.... oh, wait a minute, I'm wondering now if that's because I froze the tracks once I got a good sound? Maybe chord settings doesn't work on frozen tracks?

I made myself sing today, warmed up and everything... it was awful, really truly awful. Sheesh. My fingers are crossed it's because I put the recorder in a different place--the keyboard is usually between the recorder and me--evidently having it closer made a bigger impact than I expected, and in the opposite direction than I expected! But the good thing is that I managed to listen through the headphones while I was recording, so I had something to sing with.

And THEN (good grief, this DAY! This crazy day!) Audacity wouldn't accept the files because I brought them in the way I always do, pulled the card out of the recorder and used the card reader. So I put them on the desktop, discovered how harsh my voice sounded, and decided to check out the rest of the files on the recorder before I gave up for the day.... only to be most emphatically told multiple times that the rest of my files couldn't be moved because my desktop doesn't exist!!! This DAY... OY.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, if a track is frozen then you can't add or delete anything. A frozen track is set in concrete, well the kind of concrete that when unfrozen turns into mud again whistle

Just hang in there! Some days are diamonds and some days are stone, hey that may make a great song wink

I have had a lot of stoned days, er days of stoned, oh hell some really bad days!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Ha! You're making me laugh, Mario! Okay, I'll unfreeze the tracks, make my changes, and refreeze them--crossin' my fingers that's the right way to do it. And today when I sing, I'll set the recorder like I do when I'm playing Gizmo. Got my fingers crossed that'll be enough to give me back my voice, sheesh... really hate to think it's actually changed. Really hope that mic placement is everything!!

Although I confess, "Rock... it's not pretty or sweet" DID cross my mind... I haven't forgotten Herb telling me it's in the attitude. I just didn't expect my attitude to be a washed-up hard-bitten country waitress with throat damage from a lifetime of smoking. **big eyes** (Never smoked a day in my life, lol!)

I really like that image, "Diamonds and Stone." It could go a lot of ways. Got lyrics? This is what I pulled from your post.

"Some days are diamond, some days are stone
Some days I'm down in the mud
Some days are concrete, I'm frozen alone
Ain't nothing flowing, no song in my blood"

I can hear a chorus coming...

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I really like that image, "Diamonds and Stone." It could go a lot of ways. Got lyrics? This is what I pulled from your post.

"Some days are diamond, some days are stone
Some days I'm down in the mud
Some days are concrete, I'm frozen alone
Ain't nothing flowing, no song in my blood"

I can hear a chorus coming...

Actually I got that from a John Denver song:

http://www.songlyrics.com/john-denver/some-days-are-diamonds-lyrics/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUt2zDrddIQ

Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Actually I got that from a John Denver song:

**laughing** Well, then. **harrumph** Dagnabble it.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
[quote=chulaivet1966]LOL... um... ever so reassuring? Ah well. A lifetime of learning is a good challenge to accept.

Agreed....that's what I was emphasizing.

I was a music/geology major and glad to have some theory under my belt.
That was a while back. smile

Yep....lots of knowledgeable people here.
I've had BIAB since 2012 and I've only scratched it's surface compared to others here.

Have a great day....

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Gosh Cathie, All that music theory locked inside for all that time. I'm glad you now have the opportunity to seek your passion.

I lucked up. I received the Band-in-a-Box ProPAK as a gift. Receiving the smallest content package forced me to concentrate on learning how to use the capabilities of Band-in-a-Box and RealBand. It took me two years to save up the money to advance to the UltraPAK; by then I had a better than average understanding of both programs.

Every now and then you'll come across a forum post by a user with an older version of the programs. Generally speaking follow the links in their signature and listen to songs they've posted and I think you'll agree the tools they have they've learned to use well.

One part of audio has drastically changed over the years; that is the transition from analog to digital. You also need to spend time learning how digital audio works; it differs significantly from audio.

+++ Home Recording for Dummies +++ does an EXCELLENT job of presenting the basic building blocks of digital audio and home recording. One reason I suggest this book for beginners is it has been constantly updated. Edition six was released November, 2020.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert

One part of audio has drastically changed over the years; that is the transition from analog to digital. You also need to spend time learning how digital audio works; it differs significantly from audio.

Home Recording for Dummies…

Oh yea,

When I think that my first AAW (analog audio workstation) was an Akai R-R with 'sound-on-sound' in 1968, things have come a long way. When I first recorded to an Ampex 300-4 with Sel Sync (1970?), I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Being a high school kid, I couldn't afford one of my own but my dad worked there so I had access.

My basement has become the place where analog goes to die with a quartet of 4-tracks, a couple 8-tracks and over a half dozen 2-tracks of various formats. Some get dragged out to convert analog to digital. Otherwise, if I never take a razor blade to a piece of tape again, it will be way too soon.

Digital is certainly different but it's skill like any other. I'll restate the recommendation I made earlier: Learn the one thing you need to know right now. Then learn the next, then the following… At some point, you'll realize that you've learned quite a bit.

I'll make another. Stop reading this thread. Look at the videos, play with the demos. Heck, read the pages in the book that Jim recommends that apply to what you need to know right now. Have some fun, make some music and you'll be surprised by what you learn.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Gosh Cathie, All that music theory locked inside for all that time. I'm glad you now have the opportunity to seek your passion.

Thank you! Already had carpal tunnel syndrome when the music came back, so I had to find a different focus than playing. I've had a lot of fun learning songwriting. I suspect once I figure out how BIAB "thinks"--so that it's not such a struggle for me to find even basic info--I'll have a lot of fun learning music production, too. Thank you for the book recommendation!

Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
OH MY GOSH GUYS!!! I got a vocal track in!!!!

This song's real obviously a freshaman effort and I can tell I need to remix it and maybe even change some instruments out (or add more) but I DID IT!!!!! I started with chords and a style, brought in two MIDI tracks that I wrote myself, added a RT rhythm guitar, used the bar settings to mute and unmute, and then brought in a vocal recording!!! I did it I did it!!!!

Thank you so much for all your help!!!! Woooohoooo!!!!!

Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
OH MY GOSH GUYS!!! I got a vocal track in!!!!

This song's real obviously a freshaman effort and I can tell I need to remix it and maybe even change some instruments out (or add more) but I DID IT!!!!! I started with chords and a style, brought in two MIDI tracks that I wrote myself, added a RT rhythm guitar, used the bar settings to mute and unmute, and then brought in a vocal recording!!! I did it I did it!!!!

Thank you so much for all your help!!!! Woooohoooo!!!!!

Congratulations. I'm impressed with how you stuck with it and worked your way through it all. Wonderful journey following along with you.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Fantastic! This is good news.

I am also impressed with how you stuck with it. I am also impressed that you asked for help along the way and didn't start complaining about how bad or difficult working with BiaB can be. I know from personal experience that most all of the difficulties I have had with BiaB were directly caused by the idiot that is typing this message whistle

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Way to stick to it! I hope you'll post a link to it in the User Showcase.

Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Thank you, guys!!! GOSH I aprreciate your support!!

I'm disappointed to tell you the vocals just aren't up to snuff. My rhythm's off just enough to make it sound out of sync. So this time I've made myself a new MuseScore with a piano and without the Ah Choir and the guitar part. (The Ah Choir was really tripping me up. Guess that just isn't a clean enough sound to sing to. 'Nuther lesson learned, eh?) I'll be able to stay in rhythm with a piano, and hopefully my pitch will be better as well----and once I've got the vocals recorded, I can rewrite that track for rhythm, bring it in as a MIDI to augment or replace the RT Piano in the style (which doesn't quite fit the mood of my song). And now I'm seriously considering using violins instead of background vocals because I like the sound better and the vocals are a little high for me. Hmmm... might even bump them up another octave!

Mario, I knew it had to be operator error because sometimes things worked right and sometimes they didn't. I just didn't understand that BIAB requires a certain order in the workflow--for instance, having to make shots and held chords before you freeze the tracks--and I didn't know to look for things being checked off by accident, like the MIDI drums being forced. My guess is that nearly all of what frustrated me so badly in the beginning was due to my not understanding the order BIAB requires.

Guys, the manual still reads like Greek to me so I'm just working my way through this OJT as best I can with all ya'lls help. **grin** I know I have a long way to go. Learning the techniques and how BIAB thinks is only the first step. Then I have to learn to mix and sheesh, I think that's gonna take some practice to train my ears to hear what fits and what doesn't. I know my song is too full right now; it should start fairly low key with a steady build to the coda but I'm already at full bore by the first chorus and it doesn't drop back as effectively as I want it to on the next verse. But then, I can fix that with a new piano part... and by dropping that rhythm guitar I was so thrilled with, shoot. Like the RT piano, it just doesn't quite fit. But that's okay, I can work around it.

Still so chuffed that I actually did it, start to finish. First draft! Now for some serious editing and revisions, and we'll see if I can come back all excited again with something you can listen to. **grin**

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,581
Posts734,680
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200