Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Songwriting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cathy,

I recently did a song at 155bpm and there's some pretty fast playing in the song. Both tapping as well as single stroke picking.

https://soundcloud.com/herb-hartley/we-aint-got-there-yet-1

Thank you for sharing, great song.

My Soundcloud
BIAB 2022 UltraPAK+ / MacBook Pro 2021 M1 14" / Axe I/O audio interface / Lots of guitars
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Quote:
Dunno what it takes to license a song and get it heard, …
Live? Not your issue as long as the promoter or venue is licensed with the PRO or the song’ publisher.

Back to the OP, SampleTank 4 CS, UVI Player and the free version of Kontakt/Guitar Rig all come with libraries. After you get familiar with these and MIDI basics, they and other companies have plenty to sell you — don’t worry, they’ll email you a lot. The learning period is on their dime, not yours.

Hello Mike, thank you! I appreciate your input. Honestly don't know what it takes... for myself, I seldom do covers and the only place I would put them is Soundcloud or Youtube. I know I would have to get a sync license but haven't a clue where a person would go to do that.

You made me smile about the companies emailing a lot. I just bet they will, lol!

Love is always worth the risk.

HP laptop; Windows 10 Home 64 bit; core i5; 2.40 Ghz; 8 GB RAM; 256 GB hard drive; BIAB 2021 Build 835.
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
If you are doing this with MIDI, you can do as Mario mentioned. Slow it down and get the notes in there that you want. In a DAW like sonar, it is possible to get 128th note resolution (or higher) if you really need that kind of speed. Add the parts and notes you need and then speed it up.

I heard what you said about keeping the tone like you want. Here's your solution. REAL STRAT. I've heard folks who were using this and as a guitarist it was really difficult to tell that it wasn't actually a real guitar or player. Since it triggers off midi, you can record the parts slowly and then speed it up. RS doesn't care, and since the samples are not affected by tempo, like audio, you get the tone you want at any speed.

BTW.... the shaky video is for commercial effect. The real VST doesn't jump around like that.

Hope you get the song done the way you hear it.

Oh my GOSH Herb, that was amazing--although I think I heard more being played than I saw happening on the keyboard, so maybe there were effects added to the music afterward in a DAW? And yes, that's the sound I keep hearing in my head!! Thank you for understanding what I've been looking for!! Thank you also for understanding how intimidating it is to a newbie to see the screen jumping like that!

There are times I just want to give up and do this song as a bossa nova--the melody fits--but it would be a grave disservice to the lyrics, so I keep plugging. I'm on version 10 now and probably going to have to redo it again.
The benefit to doing it over and over (and OVER again, sheesh) is that I'm exploring BIAB while I do so, getting more comfortable with the processes, learning to navigate. The disadvantage is that I'm more than ready to move on and start something new already. But I'm afraid if I do so, I'll never finish this one--so I keep going.

I want you all to know that I appreciate all your help and encouragement, and I'm sure I'll be referring back to this thread a lot as I work my way through my first few songs. Thanks!!!

HP laptop; Windows 10 Home 64 bit; core i5; 2.40 Ghz; 8 GB RAM; 256 GB hard drive; BIAB 2021 Build 835.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Cathy,

there's two issues being discussed in reference to the licensing.

One is how to license a song that someone else owns the copyright on.... such as when you want to do a cover of a popular song. In this case, you contact the HARRY FOX AGENCY and pay them the license fee for the purpose you intend to use the song in. Prices vary so you should choose carefully to stay within the license.

Second one.... and this is what I think you you meant when you said
Quote:
Dunno what it takes to license a song and get it heard, but I think there's gotta be a band that would want this one.

That is a different kind of licensing. That is plugging or placing the song for commercial use. Most often, this is done either by you knowing the artist and pitching directly to them or by placing it with a publisher who has the connections and can do that for you. Pitching to artists is very difficult due to the huge amount of competition for the 10 spots on the average CD. Mostly, I place my music in libraries which is akin to a publisher. They provide music to film and TV and do all the legwork and submit songs in their care to specific industry listings that they think would be a good fit for the music. As a result, I've had a few songs used commercially and gotten paid for that use.

Hope that clarifies what licensing is and how to get your songs heard, a bit. And that's really just barely scratching the surface..... and those are by no means the only ways to get songs heard.

One bit of advice. NEVER pay anyone to do publicity or "get your songs heard". Anyone asking for money is a scammer/song shark. If the song is good and the company is reputable, they pay you, not the other way around.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/07/21 04:50 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Once again, Herb, you found what I needed! Thank you so much!! I've sent an email to HFA asking about a synch license for my cover of Sway/Quien Sera--although it'll be a while before I get it into BIAB!--so that I'll have the info on hand.

Sheesh, I totally forgot that I know about Taxi, SongU.com, and other places where songs can be pitched. **eyeroll at myself** My goal with BIAB is to get polished enough that I can do so. I know it's possible; I've been listening to some of ya'lls' songs here and they sound radio-ready for sure! However long it takes me, that's my goal, to get radio-ready and start pitching my songs.

Thanks for the advice about song scammers. I'll pay attention.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Why do you need a sync license? Unless you planning to post a music video on YouTube., it is unlikely that you need one. BTW, you cannot obtain a sync license from the Fox Agency—those are obtained from the publishers or their authorized agents only.

Harry Fox FAQ

Herb’s advice, though well-meaning, dd not answer your questions at all. Because you are unfamiliar with the music business, you won’t know that.

Music Business Books

All are written by attorneys. The best thing is that, having read these, one gets a clear idea of what can be done by the musician & songwriter (quite a lot!) and when a person needs legal advice. In that case, having read up saves money by knowing the questions to ask.

Unfortunately, all three are a bit out of date but they’re a good start.

In Order:

This is considered the Bible.

All You Need to Know About the Music Business: Tenth Edition Hardcover by Donald S. Passman  October 29, 2019
https://www.amazon.com/Need-Know-About-Music-Business/dp/1501122185/ref=sr_1_1

The Brabecs can be reached on LinkedIn and will often answer questions.

Music Money and Success 8th Edition: The Insider's Guide to Making Money in the Music Business Paperback
by Jeffrey Brabec (Author) , Todd Brabec (Author)
https://www.amazon.com/Music-Money-Success-8th-Insiders/dp/1787601382

This is the scary one but it tells you how the industry really works. Great companion to either of the above or both.

What They'll Never Tell You About the Music Business, Third Edition: The Complete Guide for Musicians, Songwriters, Producers, Managers, Industry Executives, Attorneys, Investors, and Accountants Paperback by Peter M. Thall (Author) August 2016.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1607749742/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Why do you need a sync license? Unless you planning to post a music video on YouTube., it is unlikely that you need one. BTW, you cannot obtain a sync license from the Fox Agency—those are obtained from the publishers or their authorized agents only.

Hi Mike! Thank you for the information and the book list.

Yes, I want to be able to post a cover on Youtube, although I'd be pretty likely to start with Soundcloud. I know I don't need a mechanical license because I won't be selling anything. (I don't have a monetized channel.) HFA had an inquiry email, so I used it to inquire. Even if I don't get anywhere, I at least took a step forward. After seven years of hitting one roadblock after another, I really needed to take a step and get out of this stuck feeling.

The books you recommended will be useful to me once I've actually learned to create a radio-ready song. Right now this learning curve is so incredibly steep that I need to focus solely on mastering BIAB. It's a real act of faith on my part to think that I will!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
That depends. How many notes does the riff have? What is the fingering? Hard or easy fingering?

Here are two pieces that are standard showcase/practice pieces for guitarists. They are both really hard to get right for different reasons.

Recuerdos is 1/32 notes at a moderate tempo, and still a beast.

Very few people can get Jerry's break down right--and it is 1/8 notes at about 276...

smile

So, think of it like this: anything with 16th notes at 130 is going to be hard not to play sloppy unless you SLOW IT WAY DOWN TO PRACTICE.

smile

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Recuerdos.png (147.16 KB, 96 downloads)
Jerry's Breakdown.png (136.29 KB, 97 downloads)
Jerry's Breakdown Intro.png (138.55 KB, 96 downloads)
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Oh, thanks David!! Those are helpful! Honestly, I have NO clue about fingerings or positions because my last experience playing guitar was (quite literally) 40 years ago and nothing more than strumming.

My concern is that I know how easy it is to write something which is humanly impossible to play when you're working in a notation software, and so I just wanted to make sure I was avoiding that mistake. My orchestration book covers classical orchestra instruments including brasses and I have experience playing all the reeds plus flute and piano, so I'm okay there, but popular music instruments like bass and guitar are a little out of my wheelhouse. Really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me!!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
You actually do need a mechanical license to do covers regardless of whether you are going to charge for it or not. Copyright law doesn't allow you to use someone else's music and give it away.

This is one reason I rarely do covers anymore.

YouTube has a policy that monitizes a cover and remits the revenue to the copyright holder. If the copyright holder does not allow covers, i believe YouTube will remove the music. I'm not 100% up to speed on the YouTube monitization policy but I think that's fairly accurate.

If you're going to do a YouTube video, simply put it up. YouTube will screen it almost instantly.

I had a video posted years ago and the last time I opened it to watch they had posted a notice that they had monitized it for the copyright holder.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/09/21 02:10 PM.

www.herbhartley.com

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I have seen this guy live. I always think of him when speed comes up. There are faster players but Michael is off the chain...lol

https://youtu.be/jOjHhJd70f4

If you want to understand how really fast picking works take a look at this video by Michael. Some of this concept can carry over to the bass. Go look at some Billy Sheehan bass player videos.

https://youtu.be/tcVNv7b56pg

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 05/10/21 01:45 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Billy, having rapid playing ability does nothing for me unless there are breaks and an actual slower lead is involved. Speed alone does not impress me.

I always tell my students "If you can't play it slow you can't play it fast. Always practice slow first and once you can play it without a mistake then speed it up."

YMMV

{edit} - I forgot to add shredding on an electric guitar with a ton of distortion and at loud volumes does not impress me. But a bluegrass guitarist shredding on an acoustic impresses the hell out of me.

Last edited by MarioD; 05/10/21 02:04 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Mario.
i have the same opinion as you.
if the shredding is "tasty" and "melodic" i'm more likely to
like it. its all about song hooks for me.
for example i keep a garbage old gtr detuned semitone just so i can play along with halens "panama". other halen stuff dont crank me up as much. but panama does. so it depends on the song.

best
muso.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Shredding.... I have always placed a much higher value on taste over speed. Seems like every kid with a guitar these days is a guitar slinger out to be the fastest of the bunch. Oh yeah, the technique is pretty amazing, but what are they saying musically?

I have seen a few players who are tasty shredders, Vai and Satriani come to mind, but most are just fast for show. "see how many note I can play in 10 seconds?"

I'll take a Carlos Santana solo over a tasteless high speed shred any day of the week.

www.herbhartley.com

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Here is a video of Michael playing acoustic guitar in a very different style. This guy is a University educated studio musician from Chicago. In conversation with him I ask how long it took him to be able to play a four neck guitar. He said 7000 hours. He was a very accomplished guitarist before the speed metal thing even began. He also has made $4,000,000 playing guitar.

You may not like what plays but he is not and never was some stupid kid shredding mindless super fast guitar licks.

https://youtu.be/4030-zZXvfs

My favorite guitarist are Gary Moore and Steve Morse. I like all styles of music and I am not really impressed or depressed by anyone, it is what it is and you either like it or not. I find mindless speed playing rather juvenile but also find speed playing useful. Better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it.

Just as a reference there are both guitar and bass players who can play at over 300 BPM.

Cheers,

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 05/10/21 09:21 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Shredding.... I have always placed a much higher value on taste over speed. Seems like every kid with a guitar these days is a guitar slinger out to be the fastest of the bunch. Oh yeah, the technique is pretty amazing, but what are they saying musically?

I have seen a few players who are tasty shredders, Vai and Satriani come to mind, but most are just fast for show. "see how many note I can play in 10 seconds?"

I'll take a Carlos Santana solo over a tasteless high speed shred any day of the week.

I agree with both Vai and Satriani. I will also take a "Carlos Santana solo over a tasteless high speed shred any day of the week".

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Now I am very impressed with Michael Angelo Batio. Speed and taste, what a great musician can do with both. Plus on an acoustic guitar!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I have always liked Carlos Santana. I missed Woodstock and a lot of the Fillmore West/Bill Graham era. I saw the Dead there in 1970 and it closed shortly after. Vietnam...what can I say.

Bill Graham was the guy who gave Carlos his first real shot at becoming well known. Woodstock was what put Santana over the top.

The music of the mid to late sixties was the only connection we had with anything outside of Vietnam. "back in the world" an expression used by troops. We had a connection with music that is almost impossible to describe.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 05/10/21 01:14 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Well, now. A person can learn a lot when she eavesdrops on guitarists! **grins**

As it happens, I've always preferred melodic lines the most, myself, but one of the most useful things about guitars and those runs and riffs (from a non-guitar-playing-songwriters' viewpoint, anyhow) is that they can keep a song from going too sweet. Sometimes the lyrics hold pain rather than happiness, and the guitar can bridge the gap between a bright bouncy beat (like a bossa) and a more somber lyric.

Herb, I heard back from the Harry Fox Agency. They tell me what I need is a sync license for websites (rather than a mechanical license for performing) and sent me links to publishers, so I'm following up on that. If I decide to do a Youtube, I want the license in hand so I can avoid having the video yanked for copyright violation. But at this point, I haven't made any decision about recording it yet.

Hi Billy! Thank you for the links! I have to say, when he slowed those exercises down they sounded just like the clarinet etudes I used to practice. Guess the basics are the basics no matter what instrument you play, right?

I have to say, his "gratuitous guitar shred" in the next video you linked sounded like the Chipmunks got hold of a Spanish guitar! Made me laugh. But "A New Day" is just gorgeous.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Quote:
You actually do need a mechanical license to do covers ...
As a broad statement, this is wrong. A mechanical license is needed to distribute a cover (recording) in tangible form (physical or download). It is not required for performance, dramatic or synchronization.

Quote:
This is one reason I rarely do covers anymore.
Why not? Nothing prevents you from performing them live. It is the owner of the club, venue or concert promoter who is liable to see that the rights holders are taken care of, not you.

Quote:
Copyright law doesn't allow you to use someone else's music and give it away.
Although that’s the idea behind Copyright, Title 17 actually spells out a number of exceptions that allow one to use someone else’s music and give it away.

Quote:
YouTube has a policy that monitizes a cover and remits the revenue to the copyright holder. If the copyright holder does not allow covers, i believe YouTube will remove the music. I'm not 100% up to speed on the YouTube monitization policy but I think that's fairly accurate.

Again, by making a broad statement, you are mistaken. Apparently, you don’t understand the term “cover” as it applies to the music business.

A cover is a copy of a recording of song made by someone who is not the rights holder. Once a song has been published in the USA, the rights holder has no say about covers or broadcast. As long as the statutory license(es) are paid (or a lower figure negotiated directly with the publisher) for distribution, anyone can cover any previously published work. Although the Harry Fox Agency is a convenient way to obtain Mechanical Licenses, it is not required that you go through them—the Copyright law spells out a much less expensive way of obtaining these.

YouTube is not about covers, it’s about synchronization. This is putting a song to an image, still or moving, and making it available for public viewing. Without written permission from the publishers, they can deny this. Failure to obtain a sync license from the publisher can lead to takedown notices, suits for damages and all sorts of unpleasantries.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199