Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
dcuny #653541 04/28/21 04:37 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Good job! It was all clever (and a nice listen), but I thought the ending especially so. laugh

Thanks David for your kind words smile Glad you liked the ending, it is telling how difficult it is to know when the waiting ends.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Sundance #653542 04/28/21 04:38 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Excellent write Jan. Cool song and one of your best lyrics.

Josie

Thanks Josie, I appreciate your kind feedback smile Glad you especially liked my lyrics.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

jannesan #653693 04/29/21 08:02 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Hey Janne,

This is wonderful. I don't know why but this reminds me a little bit of some of the experimental stuff on the Beatles White Album.

Very well produced. I really enjoyed it!

jannesan #653703 04/29/21 09:22 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janne,
Nice chording and musical bed! Fun take on prison blues. Interesting lyrics and your signature performance. Harmonica fits very well. Cool ending. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

jannesan #653736 04/29/21 01:22 PM
User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
Hello, 'jannesan'...

I believe there is always something interesting to listen to in any song, and your's is no exception!

I liked the moody feel of the song. It sounded like waves of major and minor chords rising and falling from bar to bar, diatonically or chromatically, now mellow and harmonically reassuring, now tense and aching with that fateful, despairing touch that only the blues can contribute. The melody was filled with chordal surprises, too. The vocal 'mmms' were haunting and added to the weight and richness of the bass track. They also provided a nice contrast to your higher-pitched vocal. The harmonica soloist sounds inevitable. The 'ending' is startling, but was immediately sensible to me in that nothing in the song is resolved musically or lyrically, a feeling that the dissonant guitar strumming communicates in a powerful way.

I sensed darkness in the lyrics. I hope the "work-related resolution" you're waiting for presents itself in a way that will benefit you personally and professionally.

Last edited by bluage; 04/29/21 01:34 PM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
rayc #653951 05/01/21 04:10 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
"forever ticking round
when your days are numbered
but you don't know the count
Waiting's a horizon
only eyes can reach" very well written.
Well done.

Thanks Ray for your kind feedback smile I wrote those chorus words easily and was very satisfied with their expressiveness so I'm very glad that you quoted them.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

TuneMonger #653952 05/01/21 04:13 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Interesting subject matter, juxtaposed against your unique progression. The harp was a natural, could have used even more of it, I think. Not sure how I felt about the ending, will go back and listen some more.

Thanks TuneMonger for your nice feedback smile I'm glad you liked the harp. I hope the ending has grown on you, it is supposed to express the uncertainty of the waiting.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Noel96 #653956 05/01/21 04:21 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
There's a heap of fine imagery in these lyrics. You've really excelled yourself! The "Blues" were definitely a great starting point for a song like this.

COVID sure is an experience that the whole world shares. Whatever country I watch shows from, there is a consistency in language surrounding COVID that transcends everything... flatten curve, quarantine, social distancing, etc. That feeling of imprisonment that you write about is also shared.
Nice work!
All the best,
Noel

Thanks Noel for your very encouraging words smile Glad you found good things in my lyrics. Although the song is not about the COVID pandemic itself, I wanted to reference it with a metaphor, because it fits the current situation well. I didn't think about social distancing, but you are right - it surely feels like imprisonment for many people on Earth.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Greg Johnson #653958 05/01/21 04:25 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very cool!! You have such a unique and wonderful sense of melody......always love hearing the changes you come up with!! I really like the vocal arrangement and processing you used!! Nice work!! Take care. Greg

What Greg said.

Very nice. Enjoyed this!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
jannesan #654155 05/02/21 10:42 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Firstly, your rhythm arrangement offered us an immediate image of a large clock hanging on a bleak wall with the music accentuating the ticks.

Janice mentioned a bit of a McCartney vibe from some of his early solo albums.

"Droplets falling down
on the stone floor
squeaking when opened
the hatch of the door
Still no decision
just my daily meal
somewhere in a court
my ultimate appeal
the exit or the chair
the end is all I care."

That is a very strong lyric entry as it grabs and immediately engages the listener.

The mix is excellent and that harmonica is in our opinion the best of the harmonica RT's by far.

The weary feel of your vocal added the right touch to all of the above.

Well done!

J&B

jannesan #654162 05/02/21 11:24 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janne,

I really enjoyed this song. Some of your best lyrics and a great vocal to go along.

Crisp mix as well.

Excellent!

Bob

jannesan #654196 05/02/21 08:31 PM
User Showcase
G
Journeyman
Journeyman
G
Terveisia Janne.
Everything here works well . Band and vocals compliment each other with the interesting lyrics telling a story of frustration, which the listener, (me), can feel and empathize with. I had a few listens and enjoyed the song incrementally more each time . An enjoyable listen Janne.

"through the snowbanks on the beach (snowbanks on the beach)"
I played your song to my partner and she liked it. We actually live by the beach and she is 65 and has never seen snow !

terveiset
Gary.

BlueAttitude #654384 05/04/21 05:33 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Love the groove happening on this one. Very well written also!

Good production and mix.

Not sure about the ending, but, quite clever what you did there.

Overall very good, enjoyed!

Thanks Dave for your positive comment smile Those RTs really gave a good groove, and at the same time, gave inspiration for the groove of the story.

I hope the ending will grow on you smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

BabuMusic #654385 05/04/21 05:42 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Captivating melody and well sung, Janne. Love the way your changes move the song in an enjoyable groove. The harmonica sounds great. I usually get lost picking pieces of Multitracks. I kinda like how the one guitarist doesn't realize the song is over, but feel it should be faded.

Thanks Marty, I appreciate your kind words, especially about my singing smile Glad you liked the harmonica, required quite much work to make it sound decent, because there was one section where there was silence on almost every regeneration, maybe the player didn't like my chord progression smile

Yep, that guitarist is waiting, waiting for the end signal but doesn't know when it will come. Fading wasn't option for me because of the ticking, good to know that my idea wasn't total disaster wink

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Ezekiel's Storm #654386 05/04/21 05:48 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
For me, first lines are extremely important for drawing the audience in, and you have hit the mark with yours: "Droplets falling down/on the stone floor." That sets up the tone of the lyrics.

The music/instrumentation contrasts with the mood of the lyrics, yet it works so nicely.

Thanks Mr. Storm for your nice comment smile I'm glad you liked the start of the lyrics, that initial scene was clear in my head so it was painless to write the first verse.

I somehow agree with that contrast observation, I was thinking about going for a jazzy direction to get a softer mood, but decided to stay in blues because the scene was stone floor, not very soft... however I tried to tame the aggressive instruments a little.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

PeterF #654387 05/04/21 05:52 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Janne

Very strong write, especially the chorus.

As usual an interesting chord backing track and the harmonica works well.

I like the ending, seems to fit the song mood.

Well done.

Peter

Thanks Peter for your kind comment smile I'm glad you liked the harmonica and the ending, ideas for them were born quite late in the production process.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

David Snyder #654755 05/07/21 06:23 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Hey Janne,

This is wonderful. I don't know why but this reminds me a little bit of some of the experimental stuff on the Beatles White Album.

Very well produced. I really enjoyed it!

Thanks David for your very nice comment smile The Beatles mentioned - that's an honor blush

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Rustyspoon# #654758 05/07/21 06:25 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Janne,
Nice chording and musical bed! Fun take on prison blues. Interesting lyrics and your signature performance. Harmonica fits very well. Cool ending. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks Misha for your positive feedback smile Glad you accepted the harmonica and the ending.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

bluage #654760 05/07/21 06:29 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bluage
Hello, 'jannesan'...

I believe there is always something interesting to listen to in any song, and your's is no exception!

I liked the moody feel of the song. It sounded like waves of major and minor chords rising and falling from bar to bar, diatonically or chromatically, now mellow and harmonically reassuring, now tense and aching with that fateful, despairing touch that only the blues can contribute. The melody was filled with chordal surprises, too. The vocal 'mmms' were haunting and added to the weight and richness of the bass track. They also provided a nice contrast to your higher-pitched vocal. The harmonica soloist sounds inevitable. The 'ending' is startling, but was immediately sensible to me in that nothing in the song is resolved musically or lyrically, a feeling that the dissonant guitar strumming communicates in a powerful way.

I sensed darkness in the lyrics. I hope the "work-related resolution" you're waiting for presents itself in a way that will benefit you personally and professionally.

Thanks 'bluage', your insightful comments are always pleasure to read, art themselves smile Nice to hear you liked the mmms, they are one of my favorite RTs, fit almost every song. I hope too that the resolution will give a new direction and benefit also.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Steve Young #654762 05/07/21 06:30 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very cool!! You have such a unique and wonderful sense of melody......always love hearing the changes you come up with!! I really like the vocal arrangement and processing you used!! Nice work!! Take care. Greg

What Greg said.

Very nice. Enjoyed this!

Steve

Thanks Steve for giving a listen and commenting kindly smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,493
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195