Go To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Goldy.
are you aware of what a multi client sound device is ?

i'm not sure whether your fireface 400 "is" multi client.
*maybe simon can chip in on this aspect*
i thought possibly your Fireface was multi client from a cursory scan of the FF manual , BUT it might not be a current multi client capability. thus possible problems in
talking to different music apps/daws at the same time.

are you now good to go goldy ? running just one instance of biab at a time ?.

just to tick all the boxes goldy i would like to see your midi and audio driver preferences/settings in cubase please. btw etes vous francais ?? sorry my french is not too good.

best
oldmuso.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
The Boot Log should be visible in Help, Utilities, Display Log Text File of Yellow/Green Messages

Note that this file is visible on my system even though I do NOT have that checkbox checked. I can see the boot time, normally around 5 seconds on my system, any time I like. I assume, though I have not tested it, that the Boot Log referred to here would be more extensive.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Goldy
A: How do you start BiaB? - Both way - thru the software or/and double-click on the song.
B: Do you double-click one or more song files (*.mgu, *.sgu)? Yes
C: Any idea why there are 5 copies of BBW64.exe instigated? - no. BIAB is closed.
D: Do you intend to run multiple versions of the program simultaneously? If you mean 64 and 32 - no.

Thanks smile

Try this.
1: Completely shut down and then reboot your computer (this will ensure that no legacy copies of BiaB are running).
2: Start 1 single application of BiaB from the desktop icon.
3: From the BiaB File drop-down menu, open one song and play it, does it give you any sound issues, or play perfectly?
4: Use the Task Manager to see how many copies of BiaB are listed. Please advise on this.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Personally, I am pretty confident that the practice of double clicking on file names while BIAB is already open will cause multiple BIAB openings. I just tested and confirmed. This is despite checking or not checking the box in preferences that supposedly enables this feature. Also, I am confident that multiple occurrences of BIAB will play havoc with audio drivers. So I predict that if Goldy stops this workflow things will go back to normal.

So for me the only question which remains is, assuming this practice was done in both BIAB 2020 and BIAB 2021, why did BIAB 2020 not suffer from this same behavior in which case Goldy would have seen this problem in the past. Best I recall the opening of multiple occurrences of BIAB in this manner has always been there.

Look forward to the resolution of this issue.

Dan

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
It hasn't always been there, but it does go back many years.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, and I suspect that some of the BiaB instances showing in task manager were 'hung' applications because they could correctly access audio drivers etc and couldn't shutdown gracefully (or similar).

The Multiple-Instances setting had problems and this was reported in the beta testing (might have even been 2020 testing). IIRC, multiple instances could be launched even when this was unchecked. I'm not sure if it was resolved or not.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Goldy Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Wow - thanks to everybody!!!

oldmuso:
I have a feeling we are looking under the wrong tree.
For my personal opinion, it's not sound card issue.
If it would be sound card issue, it would be just the same with BB 2020 and other softwares.
Since BB 2020 works great, and BB 2021 don't, there has to be some changing in the software that caus this issue.
(And yes, it could be some kind of comparability issue with my old Fireface sound card).

Matt:
Thanks. Ill try to lool and share the log in with you guys.

VideoTrack:
I already tried it before.
no matter how I open a song. the tasks are building up (not always).

MusicStudent:
Agree. I'm working like this (double click songs) fore years, and no problem/
Also when I got back to 2020, al those issues disappears (again - something IS different between the two versions.

Again - I really thank you all and hope we will get to the bottom of this strange issue. cool

Last edited by Goldy; 05/23/21 03:46 AM.

Goldy
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Goldy.
ok i'm out of ideas now to solve the issue.
(so this is my last comment in this thread.)
all i would suggest in closeing is you rent a alternative new asio sound device from your local music store for a few days and see if the problems with 2021 bb disappear.
(see the realband forum for a list of pg users asio sound devices that pg users have found work well.)
i wish you well and hope you get this resolved.

best
oldmuso

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Goldy Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thank man.

I really appreciate it smile
Since my fireface 400 is realy old (more than 10 years), I'm thinking of getting my self Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 G3.
Many good reviews.

Last edited by Goldy; 05/23/21 04:52 AM.

Goldy
Goldy Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

Goldy
I've never found BIAB to be unstable but, However I do have a real Problem with Loading BIAB with a Finished saved song? First Time this has happened.
I cannot load the song into 'Real Band' from BIAB. It will not load the song and Real Band is defaulted to 90 bars of midi music the length of the song
I cannot seem to change it? What can I do? I Have recorded so many songs and this is the first problem that I have an issue with?
Maybe I've been infected with some virus?

Burton Trent
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Goldy
Hi Simon.

Just Upgraided to 2021.

1. The issue with the Open processes came back (Every time I open BIAB song - another processes is open. when I close - the process stay open. closing BIAB - all processes stay open.

2. Playing a song (double click) - when it open, I hear king of "Knak" or "Bzz" (That's happens only if i open a song. while opening BIAB without a song it's OK)?

3. Push the play button - the song runing, but no sound at all.

4. Push the play button without a song - OK.

5. Some songs running fine some time, and some time don't (No sound).

6. My feeling is that opening a song take much longer than 2020.

7. I upgraded to 2021 - "run as administrator", and didn't touch any of the definition yet, so it should be like before.

Hope it helps.

If you disconnect the Fireface and only use your internal sound, do the processes stay open? You'll probably have to switch driver type to WAS or MME for that.

How about if you open BIAB without opening a song, then open a song from File > Open?

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
The Boot Log should be visible in Help, Utilities, Display Log Text File of Yellow/Green Messages

Note that this file is visible on my system even though I do NOT have that checkbox checked. I can see the boot time, normally around 5 seconds on my system, any time I like. I assume, though I have not tested it, that the Boot Log referred to here would be more extensive.

The boot log is a different file than the one you're referencing. The boot log is a file named bootuplog.txt, and when you select the option to have BB create a bootlog it'll automatically open the log file for you when you run BB.

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Personally, I am pretty confident that the practice of double clicking on file names while BIAB is already open will cause multiple BIAB openings. I just tested and confirmed. This is despite checking or not checking the box in preferences that supposedly enables this feature. Also, I am confident that multiple occurrences of BIAB will play havoc with audio drivers. So I predict that if Goldy stops this workflow things will go back to normal.

So for me the only question which remains is, assuming this practice was done in both BIAB 2020 and BIAB 2021, why did BIAB 2020 not suffer from this same behavior in which case Goldy would have seen this problem in the past. Best I recall the opening of multiple occurrences of BIAB in this manner has always been there.

Look forward to the resolution of this issue.

Dan

Dan, are you running from external or internal, or split install? For me, when I double click on a sgu/mgu in Explorer it'll open BIAB the first time, but subsequently it'll open in the same bbw64 process. I personally just opened half a dozen files sequentially by double clicking them in Explorer, and there is still only one process related to BIAB - my thought is that on your computer the files are associated with a different bbw executable than the one you're running initially, or perhaps mgu and sgu are associated to different exe's.

Try this:

Open Band-in-a-Box by right clicking on your program shortcut and selecting "run as administrator".

Go to File - File Utilities - Remove File Associations.

Close and re-open Band-in-a-Box (not as administrator).
Go to File - File Utilities - Associate File Types.
Minimize (don't close) Band-in-a-Box, double-click on a song file in Explorer. See if it opens a secondary process.

I work here
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music

Dan, are you running from external or internal, or split install? For me, when I double click on a sgu/mgu in Explorer it'll open BIAB the first time, but subsequently it'll open in the same bbw64 process. I personally just opened half a dozen files sequentially by double clicking them in Explorer, and there is still only one process related to BIAB - my thought is that on your computer the files are associated with a different bbw executable than the one you're running initially, or perhaps mgu and sgu are associated to different exe's.

Wow, did not expect that. Ok, first let me confirm for you that every time I double click on a BIAB file it opens a new unique version of the program. In the image below I illustrate this with three files. This has always been the case for me (best I know). Regarding why this happens will take a little time. I will look close at what you are suggesting.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (29.42 KB, 149 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Try this:

Open Band-in-a-Box by right clicking on your program shortcut and selecting "run as administrator".

Go to File - File Utilities - Remove File Associations.

Close and re-open Band-in-a-Box (not as administrator).
Go to File - File Utilities - Associate File Types.
Minimize (don't close) Band-in-a-Box, double-click on a song file in Explorer. See if it opens a secondary process.

Performed exactly as instructed. Result was same as before, double clicking continues to open an new occurrence of BIAB. By the way, I have the most recent versions of everything.

Veteran
Veteran
OK I see the source of the confusion. I removed the check from "Allow Multiple Instances..." in preferences. Now I get only one occurrence of BIAB and each time I double click, a new file replaces the prior one in the same single occurrence of BIAB. No more multiple program occurrences.

This was apparently a problem that I didn't know I had since I never use this workflow for opening files. It appears that his options is set by default in 2021. Not the way I would want it. Is it possible that BIAB 2020 did not have it set as the default? This would explain the OPs differences between 2020 and 2021.

Goldy, can you let us know how this is set in your 2020 and your 2021?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (84.92 KB, 122 downloads)

Expert
Expert
I have never played with this option in any of the prior versions. For me, in version 2021 it is unchecked - which means that is the default value initialised by the installation of 2021.

Kevin smile

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Kevin, I also confirmed via a "return to factory settings". This box is indeed unchecked by default in BIAB 2021. I must have messed with it at some time in history.

Goldy Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi every body.

Since i have installed BB 2021, uninstall, went back to BB 2020 checked all the issues and upgraded it again to 2021, I am quit sure that, all the issues described here are only accurate in BB version 2021, and has nothing to do with configuration this or other - since it works just fine with BB2020 and any other music software and not in 2021.
I have tried all the ideas people brought up here and unfortunately,it had no effect.
one work around, that seems to help is: left mouse key on BB icon - properties - compatibility - and choose "Windows 7".
At least for now, it seems to eliminate all the sound issues I had, and reduce the process issues.

Hope it will help.

Thanks...

Goldy
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Goldy - have you tried at any point not using the Fireface, and instead just using your built in sound card? The compatibility setting you mentioned leads me to believe that not using the Fireface should have some effect.

I work here
Goldy Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Simon.

Since FF works great with BIAB 2020 (and all other softwares I have in my computer), I think IF it has something to do with FF is kind of disagreement between FF and BIAB 2021 smile.
Best will be to ask PG develop department what might cause this issue.

Any way, I'm about ordering a new Sound card soon.

Keep on the good work.

regards.

Last edited by Goldy; 05/26/21 08:25 AM.

Goldy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,493
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195