Page 1 of 2 1 2
Beginners Forum
T
TVI Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hi, this is my first post and I'm somewhat of a beginner.

Not quite a year ago I managed to get both the audio and midi tracks into Reaper, as well as the chords showing up in the biab VSTi3, for a piece of music I liked.

I don't remember how I did that, and would like to do it again. Can anyone help me?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hi TVI,

There are a few ways to do this. If the MGU or SGU file of the song already exists, by far the easiest way to get the tracks into Reaper is....

1) Open Reaper, create a new track and load the BIAB VST3 onto that track..

2) Open the VST.

3) Click on the "File" menu, select "Open" and then navigate to where the SGU/MGU file is and load it.

The songfile can then be generated in the VST. By clicking on the "Wav" icon in the VST, the BIAB tracks can be dragged into Reaper.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Beginners Forum
T
TVI Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Thanks Noel, yes it did help a lot.

One more question, isn't there a midi file for each and every song or style?

If so, how do I get the midi file?

Last edited by TVI; 05/17/21 10:01 AM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I have never been asked this question before and, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure of the answer.

I've used Windows Explorer to search for *.mid* in the \bb folder and there are certainly lots of MIDI files. When I look at the "Properties" of random files, these seem to be associated with BIAB add-ons and not the main program.

If one goes into Stylepicker, as you know, it's possible to play demo songs. If you want to get the tracks for these songs, select "Load Song Demo" and then OK. This will load PG Music's songfile into BIAB (chords, melody, everything). It can then be generated and the tracks can be saved. This works in Reaper as well and the tracks can be dragged into Reaper.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Noel, this is certainly a quick and easy way to get BIAB songs into Reaper. I don't have any experience with the BIAB VST3 plug-in. So I have a couple of questions:

1. Will this method also work for Cakewalk?
2. Do the tracks have to be dragged into the DAW individually or can they all be brought over together at once?

Thanks,
Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Beginners Forum
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Jeff/noel/all.
just be aware of something any user needs to address when useing the bb as a vst plug in.
(i'm on 2020 so maybe its changed with 2021.)
the ISSUE is when dragging into reaps or any daw from bb
plug in where do the traks end up that are dragged into the daw ?.
let me explain.
say i am doing a song called "burmese cats rok out". "BCRO".
i want all bb files/generations/saves as well as all daw traks to be saved in the song main folder ; in this case BCRO folder.
INSTEAD OF BEING SPREAD OUT ON THE DRIVE AND SAVED WHERE BB DICTATES.
i seem to remember the above issue is why i went back to the old way of saveing all bb exports/gens/saves etc etc to my song file (in this case BCRO folder where my reaps recorded traks go.)
see what i mean ?? OTHERWISE one is left wondering where the dragged into daw files went. bb drag/drop perhaps ?

please tell me if the issue is addressed in bb 2021.
ie on initiating drag into daw (eg reaps or cake etc) the bb plug in asks "which folder do you want the dragged audio /mids to be saved in ?"
ie in the example above i want the saves to be to the "burmese cats rok out". "BCRO" folder.

do you see the issue ?.
(one of my wishes in wishlist mentions the above issue.)
jeff/noel. try some dragging into daw and tell me where the files end up ?
in your designated song folder ? or somewhere in bb folder land ?.

see what i'm getting at ?
if somewhere in bb folder dir that means i have to manually move them to my designated song folder (eg BCRO) out of bb folder dir. so i might as well do things the old way to save this move step.

best
old muso.
ps maybe pg //chantelle can comment further.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 05/18/21 03:52 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Pretty much the same in current version, but this is not BIAB-VST issue, it is a DAW Issue. When files are dragged from the VST to Reaper they then need to be saved in the Reaper Project otherwise the audio tracks will indeed be over in the BIAB folder which is designated in Options. When you save them in Reaper it will ask, Move the Files? or Copy the Files? Once I commit to them in my DAW I Move all files into the DAW Project Folder.

Dan

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Jeff,

I only have a basic knowledge of the plugin at this stage. It's certainly a convenient way to use BIAB.

I can drag all the tracks into Reaper by left-clicking on the purple "All" icon and just dragging them across. They're transferred very quickly.

The green "WAV" button can be used to drag individual tracks across.

Whether or not Cakewalk does the same, I don't know. It would be worth trying, though.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. Ignore the N/A on my tracks. They work fine but for some reason, N/A is attached to them. I haven't sorted that out yet. [SOLVED: I just needed to rebuild my Realtracks list.]

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
NA on track names.JPG (44.97 KB, 93 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Beginners Forum
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
MusicStudent.
i think it IS a bb vst issue with respect.
cos if as per one of my wishes if the bb vst on first start up asked
"where do you want all genned files/saves/drags etc to go "
AT THIS POINT I COULD DESIGNATE THE BCRO FOLDER.
and i wouldnt be asked again AND the traks wouldnt end up EVER in the bb dir. it would cut out further steps.
are you saying its reaps that asks move the files ?

best
oldmuso

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
So here is BIAB-VST, EZKeys, EZBass, NI-Strummed Acoustic (only the shown VSTs) also Scaler2.

None of these will store the files in the Reaper Project Folder until I tell them to with the "Save As" commend when it will move or copy the content which has been moved into Reaper. Each has separate file storage location for app parameters since these all also have Standalone VSTs.

OK, that is how I understand it. And with that workflow I have never lost any music. So admittedly it may be a little more complex than I make it out. But that is how it works for me.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (222.87 KB, 85 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
None of these will store the files in the Reaper Project Folder until I tell them to with the "Save As" commend when it will move or copy the content which has been moved into Reaper.

That's pretty standard practice for how DAW's work. Some of them (Cubase, Reaper) will offer to copy the files, some (Pro Tools) will automatically copy/move the files, and some will leave them alone. We're trying to support as many DAW's as possible (and has to work within the restrictions of Windows file permissions), therefore we have to take the safe approach with leaving the files in a common directory until another app removes them.

I work here
Beginners Forum
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Simon.
thanks for explaining the issue from a developers standpoint.
its obviously a no win situation for the developer ie pg.
i now see why you chose a common dir.

my concern was mainly for the new pg user who possibly wonders why a particular win dir is getting bigger over time ie the bb common dir; and might not be monitoring such.
thus i would suggest it be made clear in the docs // help about this aspect/issue.
best
oldmuso

Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
my concern was mainly for the new pg user who possibly wonders why a particular win dir is getting bigger over time ie the bb common dir; and might not be monitoring such.
thus i would suggest it be made clear in the docs // help about this aspect/issue.
best
oldmuso

I believe they are working on addressing that. There was some talk of having a setting to "automatically clear render folder on startup", though this would cause issues with the DAWs that default to leaving audio files where they started, as the files could get deleted automatically and cause that DAW session to be missing files. Another potential no-win situation perhaps.

Really though, everyone should go out and buy multiple 100tb hard drives, that would solve the problem for a year or two grin

I work here
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
For me, I open the file in Realband, and then simply drag the tracks from there to Reaper.
Once I 'Save' in Reaper (due to Reaper prefs) I have a Reaper ready project on another drive.
And far as I can tell, the original BiaB/RB file is still untouched and in the original location.
So I keep it as long as needed.

RB_2_Reape7-4r.jpg (249.79 KB, 77 downloads)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
Once I 'Save' in Reaper (due to Reaper prefs) I have a Reaper ready project on another drive.

Double check that Rharv, You would have to "Save As" not "Save" and then select move or copy. Unless something has changed in Reaper! Oh, unless of course you had never saved the reaper project in the beginning and you were doing a first time save.

Bottom line - knowing where your files are saved on your disk is Lesson 1 on any DAW.

Last edited by MusicStudent; 05/18/21 01:42 PM.

Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Bottom line - knowing where your files are saved on your disk is Lesson 1 on any DAW.

100%. That was one of the first lessons we got when I was in audio school, never leave your computer in charge of your files.

I work here
Beginners Forum
T
TVI Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Okay, after reading these posts I checked one of my tracks in Reaper and found that this is where the files are:

C:\bb\BBPlugin\SavedTracks\2021-05-17, 15-17-42\Bass - N A 1433 Bass, Electric, JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110.wav

So based on what's said here, I can do a "Save project as..", then check the "Move all media into project directory" box, and then
all the BB files will be moved from the "C:\bb\BBPlugin\SavedTracks\ "directory" to my designated directory?

This is all good to know, I had no idea where the BB files were, I'm new to BB and hadn't thought about yet.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
YEs and No. Reaper will only move the audio or midi content from the BIAB location (per the instructions you listed) if it has already been dragged to a Reaper track. Pretty easy to check out and confirm.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
TVI,

I encourage you to activate the Reaper option shown below. This will help keep project files together.

I haven't tested the option to find out it limitations but it works for me as soon as I save a Reaper file in its own destination folder.

Regards,
Noel

copy media to project folder.JPG (70.37 KB, 31 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Never been aware of this option. The default is unchecked. Will give it try. Thanks for the heads up.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,585
Posts734,718
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 196