Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
Y
Yendog Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Y
So a very annoying little idiosyncrasy in build 423. When i go to "songs" and open it the window is SO wide that it doesnt show up completely on my 27" screen on my mac. And it can't be resized. Anyone else having this problem? Its pretty annoying as to cancel the widow I have to literally drag the window into sight.

One HOPES that us lowly mac users will see a 2021 soon and this will be fixed. I'll try to put a pic up for what I'm talking about but I don't believe this forum makes it easy.

:-)

Thanks!

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Yendog, this seems to be a bug in macOS Big Sur itself - the open/save dialog windows are part of macOS itself. This problem has affected other apps, including Google Chrome and Adobe Creative Apps. We're working on this issue, and hope to find some sort of workaround.

If you want to cancel the window without dragging it around, you can press Escape.

I work here
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have the same problem. It seems to grow horizontally slowly, then the next thing you know it is around four times the width of my 13” MacBook Pro.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Tryuk - have you experienced this in any other apps? I don't use Big Sur on my daily driver, so I haven't come across any others yet, just the reports I read for Chrome and Adobe.

I work here
Apprentice
Apprentice
Simon, no this only happens in BiaB. It did do it for a while under Catalina but it stopped after a BiaB upgrade, not sure which one though. I think I posted about this problem some time ago.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hmm, I've never seen it happen in Catalina personally, though I've only worked here since shortly after 2020 was released. Must've been a bug that was quashed early. Either way, we're working on the issue and have made some progress, so it should be sorted soon.

I work here
D
dmt Offline
D
I have the same problem but only in My Mac mini 2018, I also have BIAB latest installed in my 2014 Mac mini , both have Big Sur Latest ver. My 2014 Mac mini works fine no problem resizing window, I have the problem in my 2018 MM can't resize the window. The differences between the 2 is the internal graphics, T2 chip disable, both i5 processors difference Architectures. 2014 MM has 32" HP display , my 2018 has 2 displays 1 28" 4k HP and 1 24 " HP the only difference in the install was on my 2018 I install the real tracks on a ssd. My 2014 has everything installed on the main drive, It also could be any of the apps or plugins I have installed. I may install Big Sur in Parallels Desktop and then just install BIAB and see what happens. If it works then it's got to be another app or plugin thats causing it. I'll post and updates on how I make out.

G
G
+1 so I get updates.

2018 Mac Mini, Big Sur, this is the only app that does it. Not a showstopper, but annoying.

I haven't hated it enough to delete plist files or anything, but I can't see that helping at all.

- Fred

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: dmt
I have the same problem but only in My Mac mini 2018, I also have BIAB latest installed in my 2014 Mac mini , both have Big Sur Latest ver. My 2014 Mac mini works fine no problem resizing window, I have the problem in my 2018 MM can't resize the window. The differences between the 2 is the internal graphics, T2 chip disable, both i5 processors difference Architectures. 2014 MM has 32" HP display , my 2018 has 2 displays 1 28" 4k HP and 1 24 " HP the only difference in the install was on my 2018 I install the real tracks on a ssd. My 2014 has everything installed on the main drive, It also could be any of the apps or plugins I have installed. I may install Big Sur in Parallels Desktop and then just install BIAB and see what happens. If it works then it's got to be another app or plugin thats causing it. I'll post and updates on how I make out.

The issue is nothing to do with your install and everything to do with the 4K monitor and how macOS is using it. This particular issue does not seem to affect people with non-Retina or non-4K monitors, so it doesn't affect the non-4K on your 2014 Mini.

Originally Posted By: gablickfl
+1 so I get updates.

2018 Mac Mini, Big Sur, this is the only app that does it. Not a showstopper, but annoying.

I haven't hated it enough to delete plist files or anything, but I can't see that helping at all.

- Fred

Plist files won't help from what I've found. We'll just have to wait to see if Apple fixes the issue, or if our programming team finds a workaround.

I work here
D
dmt Offline
D
To test this I disconnected my 4K monitor on my 2018 Mac mini and just used the 24"HP standard monitor just to see if it was the 4K monitor creating this issue. I ran BIAB and still the same issue with the window resize. It has to be an issue with newer Mac's non M1 and Big Sur.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: dmt
To test this I disconnected my 4K monitor on my 2018 Mac mini and just used the 24"HP standard monitor just to see if it was the 4K monitor creating this issue. I ran BIAB and still the same issue with the window resize. It has to be an issue with newer Mac's non M1 and Big Sur.

Strange, we've only ever had it happen on Retina/4K/5K etc. It currently affects my M1 Macbook so it's not a non M1 thing.

Try this - disconnect the 4k screen, then go to your user Library/Preferences folder and delete the com.pgmusic.Band-in-a-Box.plist file from there. Then go to your Band-in-a-Box folder and rename the Preferences folder to something else (for backup), then run BIAB. It should act like it's on a new computer - see if the save/open dialogs are huge again.

After trying this, you can delete the new Preferences folder and rename the old one back. The deleted plist file doesn't need to be restored.

I work here
Apprentice
Apprentice
After pondering for a while I realised that the only thing that changed on my 13” 2020 Macbook Pro was an update to the free version of Ampliitube 5. I have no idea if this may be the cause or not. Did anyone else update and start having the window size problem?

G
G
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music

Strange, we've only ever had it happen on Retina/4K/5K etc. It currently affects my M1 Macbook so it's not a non M1 thing.

Try this - disconnect the 4k screen, then go to your user Library/Preferences folder and delete the com.pgmusic.Band-in-a-Box.plist file from there. Then go to your Band-in-a-Box folder and rename the Preferences folder to something else (for backup), then run BIAB. It should act like it's on a new computer - see if the save/open dialogs are huge again.

After trying this, you can delete the new Preferences folder and rename the old one back. The deleted plist file doesn't need to be restored.

Thanks Simon, I'll try that. It'll take some time because I have to find a monitor around here that has the right video port(s).

I also have a MacBook Pro that's not exhibiting this problem - heck, for grins I might just pull the preferences folder from that one and put it on my Mac mini. What's the worst that could happen? laugh

Don't know if this helps you, but I also don't use a 4K monitor. I don't THINK it is, anyway. It's an ultra wide (LG 34UC88), so it's still high enough resolution that it might still reinforce your theory.

Thanks for your responses!

- Fred

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Which model of Macbook Pro is it?

The 24" HP monitor you mentioned should be sufficient for the test, assuming it's 1440P or 1080P or lower. The 3440x1440 resolution on that LG monitor may be enough to cause the issue, but I think it revolves around macOS and it's "HiDPI" screen modes when used with a "Retina" screen - I don't think that monitor would necessarily qualify, though I could be wrong.

I work here
D
dmt Offline
D
Update on screen adjustment. I uninstalled BIAB from my 2018 MM with 4K monitor. I reinstalled BIAB Application and all other files on an external SSD. Everything works fine running it off the External SSD. I created an alias of BIAB and moved it to my internal ssd on my 2018 MM. Then I open the songs folder " surprise " I can now you adjust the window size. Thats strange when I had the BIAB application installed on the internal ssd and everything else on the external ssd you can't adjust the window size.

D
dmt Offline
D
Update ! It seems when you first open BIAB with a new install the window size works. When you quit BIAB and then reopen it. It seems the window grows each time you open it. Just have to wait for an update to fix this. I will still run BIAB off the SSD to save space on my internal SSD.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thanks for the update dmt. Did you try using only the 24 non-4K monitor with BIAB? Also, what model of MacBook Pro do you have?

I work here
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
To provide an additional data point, I also have this problem on my late-2014 Mac Mini. I have a two-monitor setup. My main monitor is running at 1920 x 1080, and the secondary is at 1600 x 1900.

Edit: Macos 11.3.1 (Big Sur)

Last edited by dylanw; 05/23/21 06:58 AM.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: dylanw
To provide an additional data point, I also have this problem on my late-2014 Mac Mini. I have a two-monitor setup. My main monitor is running at 1920 x 1080, and the secondary is at 1600 x 1900.

Edit: Macos 11.3.1 (Big Sur)

Interesting. Thanks for the update - I'll pass it on to the development team.

*EDIT* Are you using BIAB 2020 build 423, or a different version?

Last edited by Simon - PG Music; 05/25/21 06:45 AM.

I work here
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
[quote=dylanw]
*EDIT* Are you using BIAB 2020 build 423, or a different version?

Yes, BIAB 2020 build 423.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,509
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195