Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Well, probably they won't, but just in case, I just read this research article:

The BitCoin computer farms are working overtime to keep it secure. This requires grunt work of adding to the block chain use - and uses up a lot of real-world energy.

The grunt work of adding to the block chain has computers that run guessing games involving an astronomically large number of guesses each second.

To be more precise, the network is currently estimated as being able to handle 176,000,000,000,000,000,000 (that's 176 quintillion) computations every single second.

All those numbers are energy intensive, so the power consumption of the Bitcoin network is huge.

According to the University of Cambridge's Center for Alternative Finance, the estimated annualized consumption of electricity by the Bitcoin network is 149.6 terawatt hours and growing.

That's more energy than countries like Sweden, Pakistan and Malaysia, and about 61 per cent of Australia's total energy consumption.

Technology gone mad? Maybe.... But food for thought about the downside of some technology developments.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Talking of bitcoin this story will bring tears to your eyes,

One man and his lost Bitcoin fortune.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Not to mention that this craze has also drove the video card market to insanely high prices. Between COVID and Bitcoiners, high end video cards are nearly impossible to find.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
the estimated annualized consumption of electricity by the Bitcoin network is 149.6 terawatt hours and growing.

That's $17.5 billion spent on electricity annually, at least for the cost per kwh here in BC ($0.1178 per kwh) - we seem to have cheaper electricity than many places in the world, so I can only imagine the actual cost.

I also hope we never accept Bitcoin either, or any other virtual currency.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There are many of us who prefer a more tactile relationship with money...lol

Billy

Just thought that some of you may be to young to remember Scrooge McDuck. so google it....lol

Last edited by Planobilly; 05/14/21 03:04 PM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Just thought that some of you may be to young to remember Scrooge McDuck. so google it....lol

Assuming that was directed at me, being probably the youngest in the thread here, I grew up on DuckTales! Great show!

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps we shouldn't complain if we are using Air Conditioning. It's a little like the proverbial pot calling the kettle black.

Today, cooling of buildings accounts for about 20% of the total electricity use worldwide (IEA, 2018). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264999319308168

That is a major cause of global warming. And this energy usages doesn't account for the heat the AC units blast out of their units warming the Earth even more.

So, by cooling our homes, we heat the environment, which causes us to cool our homes more, which heats the environment more, which causes us to cool our homes even more --- obviously a feedback loop.

I grew up in South Florida without AC and still live without it. I turn the unit on once a year for a few hours to keep it from freezing up, and that's it. A repairman told me running it lubricates the parts and that I need to run it once a year.

I do what we did before home AC to cool my home.
  • Painted the roof bright white. This not only keeps the house cooler but a multi-university study concluded that if we all painted our roofs white, and had no other change in our energy usage, we would buy 100 years before the point of no return (greenhouse effect) in the atmosphere
  • Planted shade trees around my house. Not over my house but all around it to get a convection current going to send a breeze through my house
  • Installed drop down awnings to shade the windows when the sun is directly overhead
When it's in the upper 90s (Fahrenheit) outdoors, my home is in the comfortable low 80s without air conditioning.

99% of all the humans that ever lived on Earth, did so without AC. We don't need it. It's a major factor in climate change. We need to wean ourselves from the habit.

IMO if we use our AC, we cannot criticize anyone else who wastes energy.

Insights, incites and a minor rant by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have read that we in the USA waste over 1 trillion dollars in energy costs via always on equipment; that is anything with a remote control and/or motion detector. Things like TVs, air conditioners, fans, electric heaters, etc, with remote controls are always on as are motion detector things like urinals, toilets, electric hand dryers, some lights, etc. Each one uses only a little electricity put when all is added it adds up to a lot, not to mention all of the batteries that are used in the remotes controllers. So we really need these conveniences?

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The quickest way to start a riot in south Florida is to turn off the electricity.
I am well prepared to deal with a hurricane and no electricity for at least a month. Two generators to power everything I need including AC. Ham radio and satellite phone.

It was not always like that.

As a kid I lived in a house with no electricity, no running water, ( actually we did not even have a well). There was a spring about a half mile down the hill from the house. Fascinating place for me as a kid. There were tiny little fish swimming in the spring. Twenty three miles to the nearest paved road and five miles to the nearest road of any kind.

The most modern thing we had was a wood cook stove. We cooked in the fireplace before we got the stove.

Later in life I lived on my 42 foot sailboat. I had everything I needed and wanted. I had AC, Radios, refrigeration, Radar, navigation equipment, and a reverse osmosis water maker. Yes, the deck was painted white but that won't buy you much in the tropics.

You could wind the clock back a couple of hundred years or so but most of you would die.

There is only one real problem, there are too many people on this planet.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music

Assuming that was directed at me, being probably the youngest in the thread here, I grew up on DuckTales! Great show!

Some line from a Big Joe Turner song comes to mind Simon. "I can tell by looking you ain't no child no more.

I did not actually have you in mind and anyway I know you will go lookup anything you don't know...lol It is pretty hard to sneak anything by you....lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The world lived without cars too. What's your point? If you go back far enough the world also lived without any sort of verbal communication.

I do have a question though. You use your computer to create styles to sell and make money for you. What is the difference between THAT electric consumption and the air conditioner?

I don't know how in 2021 people can still be Luddites. I actually know one of those nuts who has a year of canned goods stored as he waits for the end of the world. I once asked him what happens on the 366th day. He had no answer.

Think about that. This is a guy who is prepped for the end of civilization, so he can continue on being the only living human on the planet.

And then complained about being in quarantine for a year.

Last edited by eddie1261; 05/18/21 06:59 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
WE may only have a couple months food stock. But my wife has a stock of cosmetics that will see her through the next ice age...lol

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 05/18/21 07:09 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And here I am at the other end of the spectrum and I go to the store almost every day.

No cosmetics though....

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Duck Tails original theme song has a hell of a good back beat!!

https://youtu.be/H9cmPE88a_0

And Scrooge McDuck don't take no stinking bit coins!!

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 05/18/21 04:46 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
But without electricity, I can't run Band In A Box!

What am I gonna do!

Oh, the humanity!!!!

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff

And some great horns too!

Originally Posted By: jcland
But without electricity, I can't run Band In A Box!

What am I gonna do!

Oh, the humanity!!!!

Introducing the new Band-in-a-Box Backwoods Edition - comes complete with a solar panel, a shack in the middle of nowhere, and satellite internet so you can still take part in the forums.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

The original is good but I like this cover even more......

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The thing is my laptop computer sips electricity, Air Conditioners gobble electricity. 20% of the Earth's energy consumption attributed to Air Conditioning is a lot.

If we weren't having a climate crisis, it wouldn't be a problem, but we are. Of course, that's not our problem because the next generation will pay the price.

And I never said turn off your AC, what I said in so many words is, "Don't complain about someone else's abuse of energy if you are doing the same thing."

I choose not to use AC, I'm acclimatized to that and comfortable without it. I planted dozens of trees and painted my roof bright white. If I could afford it on musician's wages, I'd go solar/wind and get off the grid.

It's a "do unto others thing". I didn't like the way my parents' generation left the planet, so I do my part not to do that for the next generations. Of course my little effort doesn't help much, but to get it done we must think globally but act locally.

It's not about saving the planet, it's about saving the future of the human race.

If you are going to use your AC, drive a big truck that hauls nothing more than a week's groceries, or do anything else that uses a lot of energy, you can complain about someone else's abuse of energy, but I don't think you should.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195