Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Sorry for sounding like an infomercial, but if you've got 8mm or Super8 films and have been intending to convert them to video, you might find this useful.

I'd been intending to digitize my parent's stack of 8mm and Super8 films for years, but was put off by the cost. We've got 30-40 small reels, and most of them are over 50 years old. We have old projectors with working bulbs, but nowhere to set them up.

I'd looked at getting one of those film-to-video conversion boxes, where you project the film into one end, and reflects it to a screen, and you photograph it from the other end. I almost picked one up at the thrift store the other month, but they're less than ideal for a whole bunch of reasons - not the least is that they're designed for video cameras, not phones.

But there are now consumer grade film digitizers on the market, and they're relative inexpensive - in the $300-400 USD range. I say "relatively", because it's still a chunk of money, but it's considerably cheaper than transferring the films via a service (although the result will be lower quality than if you use a professional service).

I borrowed one from a friend, and am in the process of digitizing the pile of reels - many of which are over 50 years old.

These work differently than the film-to-video transfer devices. For one thing, the actually photograph the frames, instead of projecting them. This obviously means you won't transfer any audio!

The frame is backlit against a white LED, so it doesn't get hot, so you don't have to worry about the film melting. It also means you don't get added color tint from the projector bulb, a hot spot in the middle of the frame, or the vignetting at the edges. It also reduces the blowout effect of scratches.

It also means you don't have the problem of the film flickering you get when you make a video of film and the camera refresh rate is competing with the projector's shutter rate.

Plus, you can capture the entire width of the frame, including the image between the sprocket holes.

However, there are downsides to this approach.

Since it's consumer grade, they use off-the-shelf components that digitize the frames directly to MP4 video. These hardware is apparently the same as that found in the dashcams so popular in Russia. There's no way to output single frames to your computer - the video goes directly into the MP4, and video compression artifacts are inevitable. The units are all 720p, and even the ones that say they are 1024p are upsampling in software.

You can (and should) adjust the settings - for example, turning off sharpening option - to minimize the effects. But they're still there.

If you stop the film to adjust the settings (such as exposure), it'll start up another video. The video can be edited together using video software, of course.

The video plays back at 18fps, so you'll need to adjust that using other software if you want the frame rate to work.

These are all-in-one units, writing the MP4 files to SD cards. So you'll need a way to transfer the films from the SD card to your computer.

They aren't especially fast, photographing at 2fps, so it takes about half an hour to digitize a small reel.

Finally, it seems to handle 8mm better than Super8. I've been using a friend's unit to digitize the films, and ordered a used unit from Amazon. The used device didn't handle Super8 very well (that's common), so it's going back.

The quality of the images depends on the quality of the film and lighting.

People have DIY projects to replace the video elements in these machines and send the frames output directly to their computers. They've also replaced the built-in camera with their own. Surprisingly, the results aren't all that different - at least, not on a regular monitor. The main difference is that they are able to avoid compression artifacts.

I've attached an example which is about average - I've converted films that look much better, as well as much worse! Keep in mind that motion tends to lessen the graininess. This particular shot comes from an 8mm film shot indoors with a camera using a mounted spolight, which is why the faces are a bit washed out. I'd forgotten how hot and bright those camera lights were! smile

All in all, I'd suggest if you've got a bunch of 8mm films you want to transfer, it could be well worth your time to get one of these. The Wolverine seems to be the best of the bunch, with the Magnasonic being a decent clone using essentially the same hardware.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
example_frame.png (1.58 MB, 9 downloads)

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That is some rich color saturation. Much clearer than I expected. Thanks for sharing your experience with the digitizer.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195