Page 1 of 2 1 2
#656518 05/21/21 12:06 PM
User Showcase
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
https://soundcloud.com/andyshearer-1/steely-blue

I'm sorry that health problems have meant that it's been awhile since I last visited the forum, but thankfully things have settled down now and so I'm back with a new song composition of my own.
Well it's actually an old song from the early 80's which has been rewritten and rearranged.

I used the _FPBRTEV.STY (2 Fingerpicked Guitars w/ Band) for this recording and added my own guitar, synth strings, mandolin and Irish bouzouki playing. I'm singing the main vocal and the backing vocals were provided by my son, Alex. Hope you like it and if you do, please give it a like on Soundcloud.

-------------------------------------

She came to you in the night
Gave you love and promises
Left no questions in your mind
She made you laugh, she made you sing
Singing songs of happiness
It made you glad to be alive

--------------------------------------
In your eyes - steely blue
Oh in your eyes of steel blue

Then today she walked away
Down that long and winding road
By the meadow in the sun
And when you turned away
Well the sky was dark and grey
And the heavens opened wide

You hide the sorrow in your life
So much heartache, too much pain
You know the show must go on
Yesterday she came along
Down that long and winding road
By the meadow in the sun

---------------------------------------

Last edited by Andyman; 05/21/21 02:04 PM.
Andyman #656526 05/21/21 01:37 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice job. I'm trying to place what this reminded me of but it's escaping me at the moment.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks Guitarhacker. It's a pretty simple and common chord progression and melody. I'm sure there are many similar sounding songs.

Andyman #656529 05/21/21 02:13 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Andyman
Thanks Guitarhacker. It's a pretty simple and common chord progression and melody. I'm sure there are many similar sounding songs.

Ok. That's bugging me. It's right on the tip of my tongue.

I listened again on nice buds. Good mix. Lucious. My only nit is the blatantly doubled vox in the chorus. I'd suggest that you might want to use this method to fatten up vocals without getting a weird fx effect. Record the vocals 3 times. Pay attention to the phrasing and get it as close as possible on all 3 takes. Pick the best one for the lead. Pitch fix it if you want. Pan the other ones hard opposite. 100% R&L and lower them to where you can barely hear them. Generally -12dB below the lead. This is a method i employ a lot. It sounds like one really full vocal track.

The harmony at the end was excellent. That worked well.

When I figure out what song this reminds me of I'll let you know.

Yep.... Good job.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for the advice on fattening up the vocals. I'll keep it in mind for future reference.

Andyman #656531 05/21/21 02:45 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
I liked the song from the first few bars of intro. It has an atmospheric, ethereal feel.
There is a cool, distant quality to the vocals (that might be a deliberate choice to match the melancholy tone of the story) but I think it would benefit from a bit more warmth.

My music may not set the world on fire but if it causes a glow in just one person's heart, it has all been worthwhile smile
Ghostgum #656538 05/21/21 03:27 PM
User Showcase
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for listening Ghostgum. I'm glad that you liked the song.
I intentionally wanted to make the lyrics ambiguous so that the listener can give the song their own interpretation, but yes you were right in thinking that the vocal was deliberately sung in the way that it is. It was an attempt to convey how the main character's loss has left them with a sense of bitterness without self pity (cold resignation). I also tried to give the double vocal a 'steely' quality in the chorus by applying an offset chorus effect, although I appreciate that it might not be to everyone's taste.

Last edited by Andyman; 05/22/21 01:36 AM.
Andyman #656593 05/22/21 07:51 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Pretty intro, nice melody.

I hear what others are saying about "warmth" - the high end on this mix is really cranked up, so the phasing on the chorus makes it harsh. Sorry for piling on here.

Really like the write, and the arrangement is great. Love the echoed harmony.

I like this song a lot, it's just a bit harsh on my tender ears.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
dcuny #656619 05/22/21 02:42 PM
User Showcase
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Not at all David. I welcome constructive criticism and as the overwhelming consensus of opinion is that the song would sound more appealing with a less harsh sounding vocal in the chorus, I've had a rethink and decided to re-record it without applying any phase/chorus effects.
I'll try using the method suggested by Herb, and I'll post the new mix soon.
Thanks everyone, I appreciate and value your helpful advice.

Last edited by Andyman; 05/23/21 09:23 AM.
Andyman #656642 05/22/21 06:41 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice song and arrangement.The chorus vocal seems to have a pronounced "chorus" effect with added reverb that makes the vocal seems as if its in a different space.
The mix is pretty good but I hear it as pretty muddy in the mids...I think the synth drums and bass are overlapping and building in that zone.
Nice b vox from the lad.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Andyman #656665 05/23/21 02:56 AM
User Showcase
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for the feedback rayc. I'm going to re-record the chorus without the "chorus" effect and use the same reverb as in the verses, so hopefully that will help. Any ideas on how I can improve the mids?
I put the drums, bass, strings and main vocal in the centre on this mix with everything else panned left or right to some degree.
Do you think that it would help to lessen the muddiness if I moved the strings from the middle, or should I move the bass and drums slightly to the left or right?

For me, it's still work in progress when it comes to mixing, but I've always placed the drums and bass in the centre on my previous recordings.

Andyman #656668 05/23/21 03:09 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Impressive mix and quality production. The guitar intro is exceptional.

The vocal accompaniment adds a genuine quality dimension to the song which really works.

Clearly a big effort went into this delivery, and this shows. Great job.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Andyman #656697 05/23/21 07:16 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Andy,
A pretty singalong melody and the bittersweet lyrics are a good fit.
You already have suggestions on vocal processing; I agree they could be simplified and improved. I was hoping to hear more of your bouzouki ( one of my favourite instruments)and wonder how this would sound without the synth strings. Just a thought- the song is definitely a keeper.

Robert

Andyman #656717 05/23/21 10:43 AM
User Showcase
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you for all the advice my friends.
I have remixed the song and the Soundcloud link will now play the new improved version.
I've re-recorded the chorus and made a few other minor alterations.
Please let me know what you think, and if you like the song, please give it a like on Soundcloud.

Andyman #656727 05/23/21 12:17 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Andyman
Thanks for the feedback rayc. I'm going to re-record the chorus without the "chorus" effect and use the same reverb as in the verses, so hopefully that will help. Any ideas on how I can improve the mids?
I put the drums, bass, strings and main vocal in the centre on this mix with everything else panned left or right to some degree.
Do you think that it would help to lessen the muddiness if I moved the strings from the middle, or should I move the bass and drums slightly to the left or right?

For me, it's still work in progress when it comes to mixing, but I've always placed the drums and bass in the centre on my previous recordings.

Leave the bass n drums centred BUT have a look at their EQ and cut some of the overlap from the bass.
Move the strings and put a high pass on them at 100 or so. IF they're stereo maybe leave them centred but def. a high pass to cut their bottom end.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Andyman #656736 05/23/21 02:32 PM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Well, my listen was to the new mix so I missed the Chorus effects of the original. I really enjoy your song and was impressed with the harmonies and the overall emotional feel you were trying to convey. Excellent job and I've enjoyed my listen.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you Charlie. I'm sure that it could probably be further improved, but I'm much happier with the new mix and I think that I'll leave it as it is for now.

Andyman #656779 05/24/21 03:11 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Andy, glad you're feeling better. I really like the song, and the mix that you've done because it's as you want it. The mix, as the say, is never done. Give the same tracks to any one of us and it'll be different. Like A thousand monks, a thousand religions. On my second listen. The song is really catchy and fun to sing and play along. Well played and well sung. You and your son sing very well together.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
BabuMusic #656920 05/25/21 04:07 AM
User Showcase
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Wise words. Thanks Marty. It's always a good sign when someone listens to your song more than once!

Andyman #656997 05/25/21 11:02 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Andy,
You are a good song writer. Very nice 80s resurrection. Very fluid and dreamy instrumentals. Excellent performance! BGV by your son fit very well. Liked it. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,513
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195