Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RealBand
Del Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I have had this issue for some time now and cannot figure out what the problem is. I run Realband 2021 [5] with Admin privileges on my 240 GB SSD C: drive and save the rendered file to my F: drive which is a Western Digital 2TB USB drive . I have the USB connected to my PC's USB 3 port.

The issue happens when render the file using 'Merge Audio and VSTi/DXi tracks to stereo wav file'. Sometimes the file renders properly and is completed in a few seconds. I might then change volume on one track and render the file again, now the popup window says it is merging the tracks but minutes go with the cpu around 2% while the file is slowly created. If I cancel the process it brings up a window saying the file was rendered successfully but that is a lie.

Now if I don't change anything else and simply click on file/save in Realband. The save process takes only a few seconds and completes (the save goes to the F: USB drive). If I then click on Render and Merge Audio and VSTi/DXi tracks to stereo wav file, the rendering process takes less than 10 seconds and completes successfully to the F: drive.

In other words, if I click file save in Realband and then render, everything works fine. I used to run Realband from the USB drive but moved it to my C: drive to see if it would fix this issue but no joy. I still run Band In a Box from the F: usb drive with no problems.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue or has any idea what could be causing it. Thank you in advance!

Del
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Del,

Your problem reads like your computer is having trouble accessing the external USB (F) drive in a timely manner. This can be caused by your computer settings or by where Band-in-a-Box (BiaB) content is located.

You may want to check your computer settings to make sure the USB ports receive power all the time and are not placed into sleep mode after a period of inactivity.

On the BiaB side, you may want to create a storage folder on your primary, "C", drive and copy whatever RealTracks, MIDI patches (VSTi for example) and MIDI player (Kontakt, Halion or SampleTank for example) that in your song file to the primary drive. The goal is to reduce external drive activity.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
Del Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Many thanks Jim, I'll check to see if the USB ports go to sleep. I'm trying to keep my C: drive from getting cluttered up but I understand what you are saying about those files.

Del
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I totally understand. My super duper desktop has a small primary drive so that's something I also worry over.

Just one additional thought. The USB settings I mentioned maybe handled in the motherboard BIOS or UEFI settings.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Are any plugins in play that may not releasing correctly when you render?
Have you added any new plugins around the time the issue started?

Also, on initial Render do you see the popup afterwards that asks to test the file?
Just wondering if that is hiding somewhere and causing the second render issue .. a long shot, I know

And lastly, where is your Temp Audio Directory located?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Del Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I'm only using PG reverb on two of the audio tracks and PG peak limit on one track and on the overall output in the mixer. I don't believe I have added any plugins recently but that is a good point to check. If I let the initial slow render go until completion, then yes, the dialog box pops up asking if I want to test the file. I've let it go to completion a couple of times on different files just to see if it ever completes and it does finally finish and the file is as it should be.

I'll go back and look at my plugins to see if there is anything new that I forgot about. It really puzzles me that everything works fine if I do a save first. I changed settings on my USB drive too but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Del
RealBand
Del Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
My temp audio directory is F:\Temp on the USB drive

Del
RealBand
Del Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I'm going to reboot to make sure the USB setting changes I made stick and then create a simple song with no plugins at all to see if the problem still occurs.

Thank you Jim and Rharv for giving me some ideas. I may try moving everything to the C: drive just to see if that cures things also. It may point me in the right direction anyway. More testing is needed to beat this into the ground.

Del
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Del,

How many USB drives are connected? I had several connected and they bogged my entire system down. Try disconnecting any unnecessary external drives and see if that helps.

If you are rendering to .wav format it will take several times that of .mp3.

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 05/27/21 04:15 PM.
RealBand
Del Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Don, I have two USB drives connected, one I use for working files and the other for backup only. I always render to wav and never directly to mp3. The render to wav process takes around 10 seconds for a song that is around 3 1/2 minutes. Thanks for the heads up about the usb drives. I'll try disconnecting the backup as part of the testing process.

Last edited by Del; 05/27/21 04:25 PM.

Del
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
It probably works faster after saving because the file is interwoven in one contiguous piece when saved.
Edits cause it to start working from 'chunks'.
If those chunks reside on slower drives it would compound things.

RealBand
Del Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
After much testing, I've decided to move most everything to my C: drive. It seems if I have the working song file on my C: drive when I load it into Realband and render it to a directory also on the C: drive, then I don't experience the long rendering time problem. (8 minutes to render a 3 1/2 minute song when the problem occurs, about 10 seconds to render the same song when it is acting normally)

I would like to at least save the backup files to my USB drive but cannot find where in the heck the setting for this is. I've checked preferences, looked in the manual, looked at .ini files, searched the forums and cannot find where to change the directory where the song backup files are stored. Normally they are in C:\Realband\RBBackup and I would like to change this to F:\RBBackup

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful! I am giving up on running Realband from the USB drive.

Del
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
It is a fixed location.
I've asked many times if it can be made assignable but nothing so far.

RealBand
Del Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I see, thank you for checking anyway.

Del
RealBand
Del Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I got an email about a post from JustanoldMuso but when I click on the link to view the post, it says 'There was a problem looking up this post in our database' Anyway, I'll add it here:

justanoldmuso: Re: Rendering song takes minutes instead of seconds
DEL.
YMMV TRY THIS TEST SOMETIME AND PLEASE DONT BLAME ME IF IT DOESNT WORK WITH YOUR PC !
1. dont use gigundous multi terabyte drives. cos win as far as i understand has to maintain lots of pointers. use smaller drives. read on.
2. get yourself a cheap startech.com ssd usb dock which takes 2 removeable ssd drives. eg try 60 buck 256 gb's ssd's. hook up the startech dock via usb to your pc.
3. install realband on one of the ssd's. the second ssd use to record your traks//songs.
4. on the ssd your recording to in rb before starting a song create a new folder with the song name. this is the folder where all your traks recorded will be saved. eg lets say the song is called "DELL ROCKS OUT" then the folder will be called the same or an abbrvn.
THUS USE A DIFFERENT FOLDER WITH A UNIQUE SONG NAME FOR EACH SONG YOU DO IN RB.
5. regularly do copies (for back up purposes) of the "DELL ROCKS OUT" song folder with its seq to the ssd with realband on ; as well as any other drives you can hook up over other usb ports. also do copies of the temp for back up purposes.
this way your covered in case of a major ssd drive or other crash/loss.
ive never had a ssd crash over many years of use , but knowing my luck lol suggesting this idea to you; maybe you might. for example you could save (like i do) as further back up and off site storage (eg security box at a bank) to fast 16 gb usb pen drives<<<really cheap and fast these days. i use multiples for back up just in case.
6. run tests now mixing down your song in realband to stereo. stopwatching the time the mixdown takes.
(dont use resource hungry plug ins. pg ones are fine.
others always run tests useing task mgr to monitor OR
reaper will tell you resource useage of a plug in.)
7. NOTE you could do YOUR OWN REGULAR SAVE AS SEQ to various drives WITHOUT WORRYING BOUT THE REALBAND BACK UP.
just do folder copies. on ssd should be fast.

as i said YMMV. but small ssd's in my startech dock are very very fast.
when i copy from one ssd in the dock to another its like the copy line goes zoom.

hope this helps del.
question. this 2 tb drive of yours is it ssd ?
lol please dont hit me if above dont work.

best
oldmuso.

Del
RealBand
Del Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Many thanks for the hints about things to try OldMuso! 

To answer your last question, no the 2TB drive is not an SSD.  
4.)  I make a separate directory for each song I'm working on and make a new directory for each album I've produced.  I put all of these directories in a BB Music folder on the F: drive. F:\BB Music\

5.) I run backups of my music folders to another drive every week but I don't have any off-site storage like you mention, which is a very good idea.

Thanks again for the pointers and I may try loading Realband on a SSD USB drive just to see if that makes a difference. I'll have to buy a suitable SSD USB next time I go to town, the ones I have laying around are all old, low speed dogs.

Del
RealBand
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
DEL.
i dont know how you got a deleted post of mine lol.
i deleted it cos on reflection i didnt want people angry at
me if the ideas didnt work.

best
oldmuso.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
RealBand
Del Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Don't worry about that OldMuso, I was the one asking for advice and I respect those that take the time to give me some ideas. I've had many good experiences with the folks on this forum and I usually learn something from them. Experience counts in my book!

Del
RealBand
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
DEL.
as i have some time now; and your nice and open minded.
let me share some deep thoughts with you regarding running a computer based recording studio. which you might wish to ponder and might help you the next time you upgrade/buy a pc.(ymmv)
1. yes a ton of people these days use laptops as a daw.
BUT the downside is that laptops are not as expandeable as desktops. the latter can be stuffed internally with many fast ssd's with the right desktop.
eg win os on one ssd ; and ones songs/projects on a second ssd.
maybe a third ssd for added backups. thus one can cross back up between the 3 ssd's and useing externals too.
also if one selects the right desktop; some come with a slew of ports.
2. interesting to note is a few months back i posted on these forums a treatise from a microsoft product mgr who also runs a sophisticated recording daw rig. and he too prefers desktops.
3. now some people will say BUT laptops are portable.
very true. however a user can loose flexibility unlike a desktop.
in summary each (desktop and laptop) has plusses and minuses.
i lament the fact that common retail laptops dont come with the ability to have at least 2 internal drives.
OR DO THEY ? read on.
4. well yes you can buy special laptops for recording studios with more than one drive inside. built by custom builders and often purchased by the big boy recording studios. these custom builders also build not only high dsp powerhouse laptops but also powerhouse desktops.
the advantage of these pc's is everything is optimised
down to installation of ones chosen interface/daw software.
so the big recording studio just "turns the key".
frankly i'm thinking of one for myself. but the problem is they are expensive starting around 2k in dollars.
also the other downside is tech gets obsolete so quickly. this is my main concern.
but these powerhouses are dsp beasts of a pc ; and boast huge track and plug in counts. thats why big studios use them.
for further info if interested/for user references go to gearspace.com and other forums on the net/google and check out companies such as adkproaudio,scan co uk, pcaudiolabs,silentpc, purrfect audio and many others. the sites are an interesting source just for getting pc config ideas and other ideas for ones studio if nothing else.
some of them have interesting articles on daw's and digital audio.

BUT WHAT TO DO IF ONE HAS OTHER OBLIGATIONS WITH FAMILY ETC like me.
read on there is another nice lower cost option DEL.
5. I LOVE REFURB PC's WITH WARRANTIES. let me explain a nice low cost daw solution del. for about 900 dollars.
TWO REFURB SYSTEMS. one a refurb HP Z or LENOVO workstaion class pc desktop with XEON processors and stuffed with lots of memory and ssd's.(replace the old drive with an ssd if it has an old drive for win os). plus a portable refurb i5/i7 laptop with an ssd.
so this is how this idea works.
.the desktop (not on the net)is static as the main in studio pc.
all important song projects are done on this xeon beast of a powerhouse. some refurbs come with huge amounts of ram memory eg 64 gigs.
.the laptop is used while away on holiday for jotting down song ideas. its also used for net surfing ; testing out new software releases etc and thus sandboxing and keeping the main desktop safe and out of danger.
this is the approach i'm probably heading towards.
also i have a fire tablet thats just great for quick net surfing.

in SUMMARY DEL for 900 buks (the retail price of ONE new laptop normally at a usual retail store) i feel my refurb approach offers both more daw power //flexibility//as well as value for money.
also if one machine goes down there is a second machine to carry on doing work on till the machine that went down hard gets fixed by a local pc store.

heres an example of a powerhouse refurb beast of a pc (that many people dont often know exists. but be advised they can go fast as some studios in the know; know their value. the prices i notice have gone up recently unfortunately.)
https://www.staples.ca/products/2980177-en-hp-refurbished-z440-workstation-gaming-desktop-35-ghz-intel-xeon-1630-v3-500-gb-hdd-256-gb-ssd-16-gb-ddr3-windows-10-pro
the above is but an example. (replace the OS HD with a ssd.)

NOTE ; the above type of system can take multiple
internal ssd's. also notice the no of external ports.

DEL ; the above are some thoughts/info i hope you find usefull.
gotta go now ; my lovely wife just made me a nice cup of tea lol.
best
oldmuso

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 05/29/21 01:45 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
RealBand
Del Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
OldMuso, Thank you for sharing your ideas with me!

I was forced to upgrade recently when my old desktop system bit the dust. I pondered buying a laptop to use but felt the desktop would work best for my situation as I don't take the DAW on the road. The added slots and ports are definitely a bonus in my opinion also for future expansion. I don't have it isolated from the network but I do most of my web surfing on a different machine.

Your idea of using a refurbished gaming PC would seem to have merit as those babies are usually well supplied with RAM, expansion ports, and powerful processors. Especially if you can get it with a warranty. I have to say that even my middle of the road HP desktop that I purchased does a good job for me. I only use BB and Realband for my song creations and both of those programs don't seem to require much for a CPU so it has a pretty light load.

My studio is pretty basic, I use a mixer with a USB output to the DAW as my audio interface and it works well for what I need. I like the mixer as I can have all my guitars and microphones connected and just have to push up the appropriate faders to start recording. That way I keep it simple so I don't get confused!

Del
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,493
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195