Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#658476 06/02/21 06:14 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Beta testing is over and BIAB 2021 for Mac is available. Congratulations to PG Music.

I am posting in this Windows-oriented forum because the Mac users are just now getting the new features we have already had since December 2020. They may have questions about things like the mixer and Utility Tracks, plus Xtra Styles 11. And, if you know any Mac users, they will want to know that this does work on Big Sur and the new M1 chip.

The announcement and packages are here: https://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
this does work on Big Sur and the new M1 chip.

You bet your sweet bippy it does! I've got one on my desk here, and dang this little Macbook crunches out RealTracks quickly!

I work here
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Great news, Simon. Are you implying that your results could be faster than we might be getting on a Windows version? I would not be surprised by this, nor put out. I'm just curious if it could be a marketing angle for you, and serve as an engineering guideline to speed up regeneration for the Windows platform (but I remember the early days in 2008/2009, so I'm not complaining).

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I get slightly faster generation time on my M1 Macbook Air than I do from either my Windows or Mac desktop, which is fantastic given that it's a low power mobile CPU and that it's running BIAB on an x86 emulator (Rosetta) - once we are able to provide native ARM support for BIAB the speed should more than double. Consider that the M1 Macbook benchmarks only slightly lower than a desktop 8-core i7 10700K (although more than half of that power is eaten up by Rosetta translating between Intel and ARM).

I work here
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you Simon. Something to watch, definitely.

L
Expert
Expert
L
Is the MAC version of BIAB identical to PC version?

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Journeyman
Journeyman
The 2020 versions were not the same.
Not sure if this new 2021 version is.

Last edited by Beachboy; 06/02/21 03:57 PM.

WIN 10, BIAB WIN2022, Studio One 5, Audient iD4
Expert
Expert
Interesting... Thanks Simon

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Simon.
these new macs look fantastic. wonderfull.
frankly i would like one.
congrats to pg music on the 2021 for mac release.
apples strategy of useing its own silicon so it can more control its destiny is very very shrewd imho.

the problem i have is ; will the new apple machines be like the phones ?
ie every year a new model comes out , and the end user is tempted by obsolescence/new features to get the shiny new faster model ?
so every year its fork over more money.

in summary i really wish apple offered some sort of upgradeability path for existing users. even if to only plop in a new processor. as well as open up the architecture to more 3 parties.

it seems to me that (and i know the selling strategies haveing worked in tech for manufacturers) the tech industry is establishing some sort of new feudal system like days of yore in "merrie olde england".lol.
ie the rich had their beautifull estates with manicured gardens and wine cellars and servants while the poor toiled away with very little.

ie with i9's /threadrippers and other high end pricing on various products; it seems to me tech for the end user /buyer is becoming a "pay to play" scenario rather like a high end golf club membership.
i thought tech was supposed to free us all ?
thus poorer folks have to make do with slower processors for example.

the other aspect is reading various apple sites on the net the number of ports on these new machines.
on a 600 bukker refurb hp or lenovo xeon workstation off lease warrantied beast of a pc are loads of usb and internal expansion ports. i think apple needs to bring back more ports.

and one final item that concerns me is servicing.
with that refurb i just mentioned if a power supply goes bad i just go rapidly to my local pc guy , and within the day i'm back up and running with a new power supply
or drive or graphics card or whatever. this is important if one is running a commercial client paying recording rig.
eg bands/music groups /solo artists booking recording time. a major reason i like these hp/lenovo workstation machines.

simon i really want to like these new machines from apple.
but i have obsolescence/upgradeability/future servicing concerns.
its sorta like audio mixers. in the past i could plop in a new op amp if a channel went down. or in the case of a 24 trak 2 inch machine plop in a new channel card from the spares cupboard.
the problem to day is with vlsi and smt tech i cant do that. this is true for so many recording studio products today.

best
oldmuso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/03/21 12:58 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: lambada

That's a very interesting question. Were hopeful that the gap is closing, if not closed already.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
RealBand is not supplied. I am aware of a few minor differences, but as VideoTrack said, the gap is closing.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thank you Simon. Something to watch, definitely.

You're very welcome Matt!

For the most part the Mac version mirrors the PC version, but there will always be some differences between any app across different platforms, not just Band-in-a-Box.

Originally Posted By: bloc-head
Interesting... Thanks Simon

Anytime!

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
the problem i have is ; will the new apple machines be like the phones ?
ie every year a new model comes out , and the end user is tempted by obsolescence/new features to get the shiny new faster model ?
so every year its fork over more money.

in summary i really wish apple offered some sort of upgradeability path for existing users. even if to only plop in a new processor. as well as open up the architecture to more 3 parties.

They already are exactly like phones in that respect, and have been for a long time. Sometimes there are even two new versions of any particular Mac in a year! This isn't exclusive to Apple either, every company does this to some extent.

it seems to me that (and i know the selling strategies haveing worked in tech for manufacturers) the tech industry is establishing some sort of new feudal system like days of yore in "merrie olde england".lol.
ie the rich had their beautifull estates with manicured gardens and wine cellars and servants while the poor toiled away with very little.

ie with i9's /threadrippers and other high end pricing on various products; it seems to me tech for the end user /buyer is becoming a "pay to play" scenario rather like a high end golf club membership.
i thought tech was supposed to free us all ?
thus poorer folks have to make do with slower processors for example.

Tech has always been "pay to play" to borrow your wording - it's always cost more money for a faster computer than a slow one, or a better TV vs a worse one, or a higher end car. Not everyone needs high end - I use BIAB on an incredibly slow laptop (Core M3 super low power CPU), but for what I do it's fine.

I play a lot of video games, and while I would LOVE a brand new RTX 3080 and i9 machine I can't justify spending that kind of money when my 6-core i7 and GTX 1060 play everything perfectly for me.

the other aspect is reading various apple sites on the net the number of ports on these new machines.
on a 600 bukker refurb hp or lenovo xeon workstation off lease warrantied beast of a pc are loads of usb and internal expansion ports. i think apple needs to bring back more ports.

Agreed.

and one final item that concerns me is servicing.
with that refurb i just mentioned if a power supply goes bad i just go rapidly to my local pc guy , and within the day i'm back up and running with a new power supply
or drive or graphics card or whatever. this is important if one is running a commercial client paying recording rig.
eg bands/music groups /solo artists booking recording time. a major reason i like these hp/lenovo workstation machines.

simon i really want to like these new machines from apple.
but i have obsolescence/upgradeability/future servicing concerns.
its sorta like audio mixers. in the past i could plop in a new op amp if a channel went down. or in the case of a 24 trak 2 inch machine plop in a new channel card from the spares cupboard.
the problem to day is with vlsi and smt tech i cant do that. this is true for so many recording studio products today.

Apple has not offered user-upgradeable laptops since 2012, with the exception that some of them can have the storage upgraded. My Asus laptop is exactly like this too. And for mixers, everything has been going towards SMT for a long time since it allows for more compact mixers. Why have a 16-channel DDA console like I have when I can have a 16-channel Mackie that I can carry with one hand? (I have both of course, but that's an altogether different scenario)

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

That's a very interesting question. Were hopeful that the gap is closing, if not closed already.

RealBand is not supplied. I am aware of a few minor differences, but as VideoTrack said, the gap is closing.

Generally speaking any differences are fairly minor at this point. I use both on a daily basis and there are no features I feel that are "missing" from either version.

I work here
Journeyman
Journeyman
The differences will probably be more problematic if they are differences which impact the way you use BIAB.
I have both WIN (2021) & MAC (2020) versions.
For me the MAC version is good for the generation of finished songs but has major drawbacks when creating, editing (ie moving sections of song).
Some simple examples.
Can’t copy paste your Lyrics.
Can only insert/delete 4 beats at a time in notation.
XML import inserts”naturals” throughout the imported score (same. XML imports fine in WIN version)
Scrolling (scroll ahead) playback in notation only works up to around 70 bars.

Just my experience, I’ve decided to just stick with the WIN version I can use it on my MAC using Parallels (works for me)
smile

WIN 10, BIAB WIN2022, Studio One 5, Audient iD4
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195