You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#658821 - 06/03/21 06:28 PM [Off-Topic] Rumors about a new version of Windows
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

There is speculation of Windows 11 on June 24. Are I can think of is another round of problems for sound cards. I hope I’m wrong.
BIAB 2021 Win Audiophile & Mac UltraPak. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Adobe Audition CC, Notion 6; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & A5X monitors

#658832 - 06/03/21 06:59 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Wauconda, Il.
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Wauconda, Il.
Matt, my sources say Windows 11 is fake news. But what do they know. grin

SoundCloud

#658833 - 06/03/21 07:07 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Dan, I thought so too until something I saw today. But what do I know?
BIAB 2021 Win Audiophile & Mac UltraPak. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Adobe Audition CC, Notion 6; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & A5X monitors

#658837 - 06/03/21 07:25 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Miami, Florida
Planobilly Offline
Expert

If this is true, I have to take my CNC computer off the internet, which I should do in any event. I had less problems with the mill when I was running XP.

I had it running original on Linux. Then I changed to Mach3 software for windows.

Microsoft is becoming so intrusive I really dislike Windows.

There is only two CNC programs for hobbyist. Mach3/Mach4 at $200 or LinuxCNC for free.

The Linux interface has got so good I am seriously thinking of returning to Linux for the Mill.

I am beginning to think I may be better off with both Linux computers and Windows computers.

I am truly sick of windows updates.

Billy

#658847 - 06/03/21 10:42 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Planobilly]
Loc: Mobile, Alabama
KeithS Offline
Expert

Loc: Mobile, Alabama
This from Tom’s Hardware Guide The Cliff Notes are that most likely there will be an announcement of a major upgrade/overhaul of the Windows operating system but don’t expect an actual release for about another year.

#658862 - 06/04/21 01:02 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Derry,Ireland
musiclover Offline
Veteran

Well if there is and they call it windows 11 (probably to distinguish it from the mostly free windows 10) I would guess it will go back to a paid for version, as Microsoft have probably lost a lot of dollars with the free windows 10

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2021, Cubase elements 11 and Cakewalk by Bandlab.

#658865 - 06/04/21 01:16 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: musiclover]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Well if there is and they call it windows 11 (probably to distinguish it from the mostly free windows 10) I would guess it will go back to a paid for version, as Microsoft have probably lost a lot of dollars with the free windows 10

Keep in mind that the somewhat 'free' Windows version 10 was only for them to attempt to redeem themselves from the atrocious problems with issues associated with Windows 7 and 8, all released after an effectively and robust operating system of Windows XP.

Yes, it's inevitable that they'll be looking to make up for lost time (lost $).
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#658868 - 06/04/21 02:43 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
musiclover Offline
Veteran

Well I always considered windows 7 a robust OS, windows 8 less so, I do have 10 and like it ok, using classic shell start menu though, as I don't like the way Microsoft seem to want to hide the control panel or other settings, or make them hard to find.

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2021, Cubase elements 11 and Cakewalk by Bandlab.

#658886 - 06/04/21 05:57 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Well... they pooped in their diaper heavily when Vista and Windows 8 came out, with enormous backlash from users...and they were on the top of the game then, so they could have afforded their cute "innovations". I doubt they want to repeat same mistakes now, with tight market like we have. Even if (when) the "next big thing" comes out, I am sure they will have a strong backward compatibility and "give me my damn desktop back" option.

#658887 - 06/04/21 05:59 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: VideoTrack]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Keep in mind that the somewhat 'free' Windows version 10 was only for them to attempt to redeem themselves from the atrocious problems with issues associated with Windows 7 and 8, all released after an effectively and robust operating system of Windows XP.

Yes, it's inevitable that they'll be looking to make up for lost time (lost $).

I agree. I'll bet that after a very short period of time Win 10 will no longer supported.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#658889 - 06/04/21 06:01 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: musiclover]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: musiclover
Well I always considered windows 7 a robust OS, windows 8 less so, I do have 10 and like it ok, using classic shell start menu though, as I don't like the way Microsoft seem to want to hide the control panel or other settings, or make them hard to find.

I agree. I also hate the way Microsoft wants to set up my computer their way. Many times I have had to reset a number of my settings after one of their updates.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#658896 - 06/04/21 06:28 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

I think with other OS's being free, MS had to join the crowd, and they make up the difference with tracking and advertising revenue.

It's a guess, based on my intuition, not any research of facts.

Insights and incites by Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#658897 - 06/04/21 06:33 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I'm still running XP Pro 32 bit on my DAW.... still fairly solid and most of the problems I have are self inflicted.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#658903 - 06/04/21 07:43 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Planobilly Offline
Expert

I think the Navy still is running a few xp machines. They pay Microsoft millions for support of xp. The only reason I moved from xp to 7 was the 64 bit issue.

Billy

#658910 - 06/04/21 09:11 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

My bank is running XP on their ATM. Yes, I live in a very small town, with a small bank. I don't keep much money there...

#658935 - 06/04/21 12:22 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Akron, Oh
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Akron, Oh
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
My bank is running XP on their ATM. Yes, I live in a very small town, with a small bank. I don't keep much money there...

I worked a lot with those machines when I did a contract for a bank here. Be somewhat aware that EMBEDDED XP was not PROUCTION XP. The embedded version in ATMs and POS (Point of Sale! Shame on you for what you thought!) machines was as close to bulletproof as anything I ever saw in all my years in IT.

If there is an 11 I will load it onto ONE laptop and watch it before I put it on my real computers.

I agree with Mario that Micro$oft needs to STOP changing my settings to support THEIR products. Every time they update Edge it makes it my default browser. I have used Edge once just to see if it loaded cleanly, because with Edge you get Bing, and I prefer DuckDuckGoose... LOL! And they change the audio to Windows Audio. Et cetera...

However, I have never been a "it does what I need guy" and lived with 20 year old stuff. If I thought that I would be with wife 1.0 with no updates... Like my OS, I upgraded often.

Do you realize that a good night of sleep is nothing more than the human version of "Turn it off and turn it back on again"?

#658944 - 06/04/21 01:49 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Planobilly Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

LOL... It's probably safer on XP than Windows 10 in any event.

Billy

#659158 - 06/05/21 08:53 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Hong Kong
lambada Offline
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
My brother in law wrote assembler etc for the ATM machines. Built the communications hardware - x25 modems (I think). One time he took me in to see the anz network. Now he's a farmer and grows kiwi fruit with machines all over the place monitoring for frosts.
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#659222 - 06/06/21 06:19 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

I still have one XP computer that I use to run the 8.3 bug free version of Master Tracks Pro.

On stage I have an XP computer that I bought in 2002 that just won't die (ThinkPad) and another Win7 ThinkPad computer. I had to replace my other 2002 when I dropped it, broke the hinge (it still works) and the cost of repair was less than the new computer (the parts were no longer in production).

The XP and Win7 computers never-ever go on-line. There is no need for that considering the purposes I'm using them for.

Insights and incites by Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#659617 - 06/08/21 04:26 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Simon - PG Music Online   content
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
Everything official I've read from Microsoft says that "Windows 10 is the last version of Windows" and that basically future Windows versions will just be upgrades to 10. I suppose we'll have to see what they say about that on the 24th.

I know Reddit is not always a reliable source of information, but there are some quotes from Microsoft execs in here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/k76r5e/windows_11_release_date/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
A Look Back... Band-in-a-Box® 2015 NAMM Demonstration #TBT

Watch Tobin (and Charlie!) demonstrate Band-in-a-Box® 2015 for Windows at the 2015 NAMM Show: Play video...

Tobin does a great job of showing just how easy it is to create a song with Band-in-a-Box!

This video was posted on January 23, 2015 to the Keyboard Instrument Chops and Gear YouTube Channel.

Enhance Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Installation

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows users - update for FREE today!

We've added a new "record using" option within the Audio Settings dialog, and updated many existing features based on user feedback.

This free update also includes the most recent build of our DAW Plugin (3.9.12).

Learn more about this free update and download it today.

Ordering Your Band-in-a-Box® is Easy!

When you order any PG Music products directly from www.pgmusic.com (or www.bandinabox.com) you'll receive immediate links to start downloading your order! Even if you choose to have a backup copy of your Band-in-a-Box® packages shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - no need to wait!

We've made it even easier to get started with Band-in-a-Box® with the Easy Payment Plan 4 - when you choose this payment option you'll pay four equal monthly payments starting on the day of your order.

Choose your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows package & order here.

Using Mac? Order here.

When you get to the checkout, simply click on Select Easy Payment Plan 4 for this product to apply this option.

Note: This only applies to this Band-in-a-Box product, and does not apply to other products that you might have in your order, including the physical backup copy if selected.

Band-in-a-Box® File Associations

You may have noticed when you were installing Band-in-a-Box® for Windows that you were asked if you would like to Associate Band-in-a-Box songs and styles with Band-in-a-Box? But, what does that mean?

It's actually pretty simple - basically, if you select this option while you're installing the program, files with the extensions .SGU, .MGU, and other Band-in-a-Box files will open directly in the program if you select them from outside the program.

Missed this option during your setup, but you'd like to apply it now? Go to File | File Utilities | Associate File types with Explorer within the program.

New Update for RealBand 2021 Available!

Do you use RealBand (included in all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases)? Download the latest free update, which resolves a small viewing issue for Windows 11 users.

When you download the latest update for RealBand 2021, it will add all the updates we've made this year. See the full list here.

Ear Training Games in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

October 1, 2021 is National Kids Music Day!

Head to the Practice Window in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, and you'll see fun games that are fun ear training options for kids: Music Replay & Pitch Invasion.

Of course, you don't have to be a kid to like these games, I think there a fun way to learn at any age!

Music Replay is just what it sounds like - the program plays a 1-bar melody, and the user plays it back. Get it right, and you'll keep building that melody (and skill) within the game - get it wrong, and you'll be met with a warning tone and have to try again... it's quite addictive, and a lot of fun!

If you like a classic arcade game, then you'll love Pitch Invasion! We've managed to incorporate aliens with pitch-recognition skills in this exciting game, where you'll match the pitch of the alien ship descending towards your planet trying to destroy your collection of instruments - match the pitch and you've saved your instruments, make a mistake and the ship keeps coming... you'll have a few tries to get it right, if you're quick, but if all your instruments are destroyed - it's game over! The game speeds up as your skills improve, and you'll earn points along the way, with bonus points available throughout the game.

Open up your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows today to give it a try!

These ear training games are also included in Musical Arcade for Windows.

How to Make Backing Tracks with Band-in-a-Box®, by Nick Kellie

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Nick Kellie recently got his hands on the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac, and put together this video showing off just how easy it is to make backing tracks in Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box Demo - How to make backing tracks

Forum Stats
35014 Members
66 Forums
71318 Topics
618691 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
RickRails, Jamx888, saraj176, deepee, Bob McKillop

35014 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 259