Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#670397 - 08/27/21 08:56 PM [Off-Topic] Re: UPDATE: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Miami, Florida
Planobilly Offline
Expert

You think you got it bad. Go to the songwriter forum and see what my wife has been costing me...lol

Both of you could chip in and help me write the song with all that new gear yall been buying...lol

Billy

#670429 - 08/28/21 07:09 AM [Off-Topic] Re: UPDATE: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Planobilly]
Loc: Akron, Oh
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Both of you could chip in and help me write the song with all that new gear yall been buying...lol

Well, Billy, if we have been BUYING gear, we have no money, so....

JUST recently, I bought a Korg Krome for $1000, a mixer for $200, the St Vincent guitar for $500, a new to me used Shure IEM transmitter and receiver for $200, and new custom molded IEMs from Wavs Sound for $180. We only have a total of 5 gigs, one of which is a short opening act 1 set gig, so I won't even come close to break-even for the year. If we score a good New Year's Eve gig I might come close, but even then, 6 gigs just to break even...?

Edited by eddie1261 (08/28/21 07:18 AM)

Do you realize that a good night of sleep is nothing more than the human version of "Turn it off and turn it back on again"?

#670449 - 08/28/21 12:29 PM [Off-Topic] Re: UPDATE: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Mi., USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mi., USA
Huh, I didn't think he meant chip in with $$, but more with effort (using your new gear)
Help him write the song .. or I could be wrong, which would make it my fault as usual

Quote:
.. chip in and help me write the song with all that new gear yall been buying

#670454 - 08/28/21 12:55 PM [Off-Topic] Re: UPDATE: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Planobilly Offline
Expert

Actually, I think this should be done on Zoom. We should invite anyone who has an interest in BIAB. Someone like Matt should put it together and someone like David should do the mixing and get Bud to master the thing. Have anyone who has better ideas for the lyrics jump in.

The only thing left is to find a singer, a humdinger. I can take care of that.

It would be fun to see something go together from start to finish done by people who really know BIAB.

Billy

#670466 - 08/28/21 01:41 PM [Off-Topic] Re: UPDATE: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: rharv]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rharv
Huh, I didn't think he meant chip in with $$, but more with effort (using your new gear)
Help him write the song .. or I could be wrong, which would make it my fault as usual.

He'd be better off asking for money....

Do you realize that a good night of sleep is nothing more than the human version of "Turn it off and turn it back on again"?

#670724 - 08/30/21 01:05 PM [Off-Topic] Re: UPDATE: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: eddie1261]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Simon - PG Music Online   content
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
My i7 is from 2014 and is a 40xx. It’s fine. This is silly I can’t upgrade.

Friends and family count on me, a former comp. sci. prof, to stay current. It doesn’t help Microsoft that someone like me cannot upgrade.

I fully agree that a 4-series i7 is powerful enough to run Windows 11 (I own one too, a slightly more esoteric 4930K on the LGA2011 platform), but this hardware predates even Windows 10. People have been able to get Windows 11 running on older hardware like this, but the problem is going to be with the hardware drivers - the motherboard manufacturers probably will not write a bunch of new drivers to support our 4th-gen hardware in Windows 11, since they're not going to profit from doing that. People even with "supported" 7th or 8th-gen chips might not even get full driver support for some of their hardware, though I'm primarily looking at the pre-built manufacturers like Dell/HP/etc.

As usual, it'll probably be possible to get some older Win10 drivers working in Win11 (as I've done already with my Win11 machine), but we should all know that this could be a mixed bag for success or stability. Basically what I'm saying is that it's not necessarily Microsoft's fault that older hardware may not work, since they rely on the motherboard manufacturers for drivers, who then rely on the chipset/lan/sound/video/etc chip manufacturers for drivers...

Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Sure you CAN upgrade, Matt. It's just going to cost you. And therein lies the complaint I have had against Micro$oft and Apple. They hold us hostage with their upgrades that require hardware replacement. There comes a point where they create yet another new OS that your hardware can't run. I had an original iPad that couldn't run the OS needed to run the cooler new apps. I hate them for this business model of forced obsolescence.

That's just how it goes with technology. At some point the OS makers need to remove functions that are holding back the OS from greater improvements. Can you imagine how many problems there might be if Windows 10 still supported Pentium III or original Athlon chips?

Apple does this a lot, we all know that, but this stops the OS from becoming as bloated as it would be if it supported older machines. Microsoft is doing this with the TPM chip in an attempt to increase security in Win11. Windows 10 gave us a lot of free lunch, considering it can run (poorly) on computers released 10 years before the OS itself, but at some point the free lunch has to end.

I'm not trying to be an apologist for either Microsoft or Apple; I'm in the same boat as many of you guys. My LGA2011 machine doesn't officially support Windows 11 despite being able to handle 12-core CPU's and 64gb of RAM, nor does my 2009 Mac support Catalina, Big Sur, or the upcoming Monterey despite also being able to handle 12-cores and 128gb of ram.

Edited by Simon - PG Music (08/30/21 01:08 PM)

#670739 - 08/30/21 03:55 PM [Off-Topic] Re: UPDATE: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Simon - PG Music]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

he he ! to quote school of rock (that film is so entertaining with jack black) stick it to the man..
support the PI...lol.
i would love to see the pi turn the industry on its head
with a 5 ghz processor.
om

#670744 - 08/30/21 04:25 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

I can wait to see how this sorts itself out. No doubt there will be further changes to policy.
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#670791 - 08/31/21 03:24 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

E-waste creator.

#670798 - 08/31/21 05:10 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Pipeline]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Pipeline
E-waste creator.

Hmmmm, maybe closer to the mark than we would all like. Hundreds of millions of computers dumped at the recycle centers cry
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#670860 - 08/31/21 12:53 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: VideoTrack]
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
E-waste creator.

Hmmmm, maybe closer to the mark than we would all like. Hundreds of millions of computers dumped at the recycle centers cry

Possibly hundreds of millions of cheap computers and parts flogged on craigslist for cheap - I know I'd like that part!

#670864 - 08/31/21 01:02 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Simon - PG Music]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard $25
*Note only works with Win 10 or earlier.

Yes that will come in handy until October 14, 2025 then just bury it in the back garden.

#670891 - 08/31/21 04:32 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Pipeline]
PG Music Staff

Yes that will come in handy until October 14, 2025 then just bury it in the back garden.

We as a society need to figure out new ways to reuse or recycle old tech like this.

Funny enough, I had the idea while writing this that I could stack a bunch of motherboards and built a guitar out of them. Hmmmmm....

#670905 - 08/31/21 05:15 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
We especially need to do better retrieving rare earth materials from surplus electronics. Since most of the supply is in China, we are heading into a problem.
BIAB 2021 Win Audiophile & Mac UltraPak. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Adobe Audition CC, Notion 6; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & A5X monitors

#670911 - 08/31/21 05:53 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Simon - PG Music]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music

We as a society need to figure out new ways to reuse or recycle old tech like this.

Funny enough, I had the idea while writing this that I could stack a bunch of motherboards and built a guitar out of them. Hmmmmm....

INTELocaster

#670918 - 08/31/21 06:43 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: eddie1261]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
That guy really knows how to work clear acrylic. The pc parts are just window dressing. Plus he stripped a real Fender for the guitar parts.
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H1, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#670968 - 09/01/21 03:00 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Ohio
DSM Offline
Journeyman

My brother recently gave me two desktops. Problem is no updated drivers since Windows VISTA in one and the other machine is an unknown. Trying to decided:

Find a VISTA install disc
Install Linux and hope for drivers (I do talk Linux.)
Gut the machines for their hard drives and memory

Obviously no chance of Windows 10 working.

And who knows about the unknown machine. No markings at all.

Probably great machines in their prime but not really worth much now.

...Deb

#670973 - 09/01/21 03:40 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: DSM]
Loc: Derry,Ireland
musiclover Offline
Veteran

Loc: Derry,Ireland
Originally Posted By: DSM
My brother recently gave me two desktops. Problem is no updated drivers since Windows VISTA in one and the other machine is an unknown. Trying to decided:

Find a VISTA install disc
Install Linux and hope for drivers (I do talk Linux.)
Gut the machines for their hard drives and memory

Obviously no chance of Windows 10 working.

Probably great machines in their prime but not really worth much now.

...Deb

I wouldn't write them off yet, main desktop will be 12 years old next february, flies along in windows 10 with an SSD and some extra memory.

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2021, Cubase elements 11 and Cakewalk by Bandlab.

#670976 - 09/01/21 05:30 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: DSM]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: DSM

If you download SiSoft Sandra it will identify everything on the mystery computer.

#671003 - 09/01/21 08:18 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Rumors about a new version of Windows [Re: eddie1261]
DSM Offline
Journeyman

Thank you!

...Deb

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
A Look Back... Band-in-a-Box® 2015 NAMM Demonstration #TBT

Watch Tobin (and Charlie!) demonstrate Band-in-a-Box® 2015 for Windows at the 2015 NAMM Show: Play video...

Tobin does a great job of showing just how easy it is to create a song with Band-in-a-Box!

This video was posted on January 23, 2015 to the Keyboard Instrument Chops and Gear YouTube Channel.

Enhance Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Installation

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows users - update for FREE today!

We've added a new "record using" option within the Audio Settings dialog, and updated many existing features based on user feedback.

This free update also includes the most recent build of our DAW Plugin (3.9.12).

Learn more about this free update and download it today.

Ordering Your Band-in-a-Box® is Easy!

When you order any PG Music products directly from www.pgmusic.com (or www.bandinabox.com) you'll receive immediate links to start downloading your order! Even if you choose to have a backup copy of your Band-in-a-Box® packages shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - no need to wait!

We've made it even easier to get started with Band-in-a-Box® with the Easy Payment Plan 4 - when you choose this payment option you'll pay four equal monthly payments starting on the day of your order.

Choose your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows package & order here.

Using Mac? Order here.

When you get to the checkout, simply click on Select Easy Payment Plan 4 for this product to apply this option.

Note: This only applies to this Band-in-a-Box product, and does not apply to other products that you might have in your order, including the physical backup copy if selected.

Band-in-a-Box® File Associations

You may have noticed when you were installing Band-in-a-Box® for Windows that you were asked if you would like to Associate Band-in-a-Box songs and styles with Band-in-a-Box? But, what does that mean?

It's actually pretty simple - basically, if you select this option while you're installing the program, files with the extensions .SGU, .MGU, and other Band-in-a-Box files will open directly in the program if you select them from outside the program.

Missed this option during your setup, but you'd like to apply it now? Go to File | File Utilities | Associate File types with Explorer within the program.

New Update for RealBand 2021 Available!

Do you use RealBand (included in all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases)? Download the latest free update, which resolves a small viewing issue for Windows 11 users.

When you download the latest update for RealBand 2021, it will add all the updates we've made this year. See the full list here.

Ear Training Games in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

October 1, 2021 is National Kids Music Day!

Head to the Practice Window in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, and you'll see fun games that are fun ear training options for kids: Music Replay & Pitch Invasion.

Of course, you don't have to be a kid to like these games, I think there a fun way to learn at any age!

Music Replay is just what it sounds like - the program plays a 1-bar melody, and the user plays it back. Get it right, and you'll keep building that melody (and skill) within the game - get it wrong, and you'll be met with a warning tone and have to try again... it's quite addictive, and a lot of fun!

If you like a classic arcade game, then you'll love Pitch Invasion! We've managed to incorporate aliens with pitch-recognition skills in this exciting game, where you'll match the pitch of the alien ship descending towards your planet trying to destroy your collection of instruments - match the pitch and you've saved your instruments, make a mistake and the ship keeps coming... you'll have a few tries to get it right, if you're quick, but if all your instruments are destroyed - it's game over! The game speeds up as your skills improve, and you'll earn points along the way, with bonus points available throughout the game.

Open up your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows today to give it a try!

These ear training games are also included in Musical Arcade for Windows.

How to Make Backing Tracks with Band-in-a-Box®, by Nick Kellie

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Nick Kellie recently got his hands on the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac, and put together this video showing off just how easy it is to make backing tracks in Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box Demo - How to make backing tracks

Forum Stats
35014 Members
66 Forums
71318 Topics
618691 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
RickRails, Jamx888, saraj176, deepee, Bob McKillop

35014 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 259