Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Folks,
It's been YONKS since I posted one of my own ditties.
Playing bass with Spirit Level kept me busy and moving to 100km to another state certainly kept me busy.
Truth be told I posted an early version of this song around October of last year.
I spent the next five months waiting for a chap who wanted to do the solo but that didn't eventuate. Another chap, Bob Harris, offered to fill in at late notice so is on this version.

I need your ears for this one.
There's a little guitar figure I use every few bars of the verse that I'm unsure of.
Is it a useful addition or an atonal distraction?
Vocals are me, sadly, and I've tried to emphasize the minor chord sections by adding a raised seventh to one of the bvox... does that work?
Finally, any other mix/production/tracking suggestions would be appreciated and attempted.

BIAB drums & organ in this one...Bob Harris does the guitar solo and I'm to blame for the rest.

In There Somewhere

https://soundcloud.com/rayc/amajune4

Here's an update with bvox raised as suggested by FJ...
In There Somewhere tweak

Another update based on suggestions to have the guitar figure cut through a little better.
I've also experimented with the "melody" a bit...
In There Somewhere Iteration THREE

Lyrics:
IN THERE SOMEWHERE

Reason with the logic
Rhyming riddles for a song
But the words don’t come together
Something definitely went wrong
The smiling clown went away for good
To the circus, city, sewer
He was running out of lives
& his mask was so much truer
He was running out of life
& the options are fewer

There is no rhyme or reason
For feeling like you do
No, no definite rhyme or reason
But the focus is on you.
So come my bleeding jester
Entertain the gawking crowd
No definite rhyme or reason
Just the genes you’ve been endowed

The man was in there somewhere
Beneath his rhyme there was no reason
His façade would someday crumble
His humour his treason
& they laughed at your insanity
No prying eyes to look inside
But their laughter was inanely aimed
At the mask in which you hide
But their laughter was inane again,
As they line up to take a side

For feeling like you do
But the focus is on you.
Just the voices getting loud

For feeling like you do
But the focus is on you.
Just the voices getting loud.

Last edited by rayc; 06/06/21 01:01 AM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Ray,

I do like that line !

Ray, that's a good rocker with great lyrics. I think that even without knowing who had written that song I would have guessed that it was you from the chord progressions they're typical for you (as far as IÄm concerned).

I tried to identify that li'l 'guitar figure' you mentioned, but I simply couldn't hear it - must be covered by my tinnitus, I guess.

An enjoyable listen.

Take care,

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I think I heard the guitar figure and I liked it. Your vocals are good, maybe could be a tad louder. Guitar solo was very good though brief. Altogether, an enjoyable track. Lyrics are signature yours, edgy stuff. Good work!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Yes, Rayc. My vote is to keep the guitar bit. In some way it anchors the song with familiarity, if that makes sense. I had a harder time picking out the harmony 7th. Yes, there it goes (on my 2nd spin); it, too is a keeper. Keep in mind, man, I have a hard time critiquing your work because I've learned so much from you. Sadly, I really like your vocal. hehe And, man, you guys in Spirit Level are really cooking up some good sounds.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ray,

Several listens - and everything seems to work to my ears (although they do get older every day.. smile )

Good write. Excellent punkish-rock sound - including the vocals!!
Solo works nicely.

I thought there could have been more BGVs - what's there is good...more!

Well done.

fj

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Rayc,

Always a search in the continuation of original musical chords. Your lyrics and your voice are pleasant. I enjoyed the guitar solo which could have been introduced several times. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette alias JaniJackFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray,
Powerful stuff! Very atypical progression & structure. Cool set of lyrics! Tried to tune ears, "looking" for the guitar you mentioned. I do not hear it, or if I do, it is not annoying and at the right place(s) smile Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. FJ motioned BGV... I think he made a very good point.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray

First off good song.

I heard the little riff - I'd be inclined to bump it up slightly in the mix - it sounded good to me.

I'd defer to floyd on harmonies.

The solo was good as was the progression.

Peter

User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Ray,
I think that even without knowing who had written that song I would have guessed that it was you from the chord progressions they're typical for you (as far as IÄm concerned).
Stefan

Thanks Stefan,
I hope typical doesn't become predictable too soon.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I think I heard the guitar figure and I liked it. Your vocals are good, maybe could be a tad louder. Guitar solo was very good though brief. Altogether, an enjoyable track. Lyrics are signature yours, edgy stuff. Good work!

Thanks TuneMonger,
I've upped the vocals a little in the update in the OP.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Yes, Rayc. My vote is to keep the guitar bit. In some way it anchors the song with familiarity, if that makes sense. I had a harder time picking out the harmony 7th. Yes, there it goes (on my 2nd spin); it, too is a keeper. Keep in mind, man, I have a hard time critiquing your work because I've learned so much from you. Sadly, I really like your vocal. hehe And, man, you guys in Spirit Level are really cooking up some good sounds.

Thanks BabuMusic,
I was toying around with just adding the flat 3rd when my wife suggested the raised 7th so I gave it a burl. Subtle but if it increases the minorness then I'm happy. The guitar figure was roundly canned by a listener elsewhere - hence my desire to know if there was a consensus.
Spirit Level has a new one coming early next week...keep an eye out for a post from ScottC.

Last edited by rayc; 06/05/21 12:27 AM.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ray,
I thought there could have been more BGVs - what's there is good...more!
fj

Thanks you FJ,
That's the sort of thing I was hoping to read.
I've updated with a new link and more bvox.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Rayc,
I enjoyed the guitar solo which could have been introduced several times. Well done.
Derochette alias JaniJackFlash

Interestingly & consistent with your comment Bob harris envisioned the solo also playing over the intro...I tried it that way for a week but my brain kept expecting the 2nd run through to veer into something new so I ditched the 1st iteration.
Thanks for your kind words.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Ray,
Powerful stuff! Very atypical progression & structure. Cool set of lyrics! Tried to tune ears, "looking" for the guitar you mentioned. I do not hear it, or if I do, it is not annoying and at the right place(s) smile Thank you for sharing.
Misha.
P.S. FJ motioned BGV... I think he made a very good point.

Hello Misha,
Atypical is home for the untutored typically.
That'd be me.
The "figure" is just a scale/octave run near the end of each line in the verse.
Nothing grand but hpefully it is as you suggest.
Thanks.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Ray
First off good song.
I heard the little riff - I'd be inclined to bump it up slightly in the mix - it sounded good to me.
I'd defer to floyd on harmonies.
The solo was good as was the progression.
Peter

Thanks Peter,
I'll EQ the guitar part a little so it "cuts through" a little better.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
My 2 cents:
Song structure works well.
I'd like to hear the guitar figure pop a bit more.
I think the vocals are loud enough but, could be a bit more forward.
Maybe the vocals are masked by the other instruments???, try some gentle EQ ducking on the instruments in the mid range where the vocal sits.

Last edited by CaptainMoto; 06/05/21 05:50 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is a really cool tune. I did not make out the riff you mention but to my hearing I think that is a good thing as I felt all the background instruments sounded really tight and I was able to focus on your vocal and lyrics. So not distracting very complimentary to the song. Guitar solo was really good too.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well crafted song. I too like the jester lines. Good use of the band. Good one.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: rayc
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Ray,
I think that even without knowing who had written that song I would have guessed that it was you from the chord progressions they're typical for you (as far as I'm concerned).
Stefan

Thanks Stefan,
I hope typical doesn't become predictable too soon.

Oh no, Ray, that's not what I meant cool This wasn't the first time that when I listened to one of your songs I noticed chord progressions that made me think ' Where in the world is he now going and how will he ever be able to get back to where he started?'

But, of course, you always managed that perfectly. And I should addd that I like it !

Take care,

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice changes in this and I think your vocal works well. I hear that little guitar part you mentioned, works for me.

I also like that instrumental part, could have introduced that earlier I think. But it's a cool part he came up with, works well over those changes.

Good song!

User Showcase
G
Journeyman
Journeyman
G
G'day Ray
I was missing your Pygmy Beat creations and cool Videos too.
I remember when you first posted this because I was impressed with the lyrics. This song has everything going for it ; lyrics,great chorus and attitude. I always seek your advice so take the following with a grain of salt.
The guitar motiff at 2.33 is a very good . IMO it should be used as an intro and outro as well as after the first chorus at 1.24 . That will utilize this excellent hook four times instead of just once.
Perhaps ditch the organ during the verses to create some space. The mix is a bit mono sounding and could do with a bit more instrument seperation. These guys will give you 2 free mixes per month. (i have no connection to them).
This song is worth persuing.
cheers
Gary

ps Congrats on your move ....Go the Maroons!!!

User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Ray,

I’m listening to Iteration Three—sounding really good to me. I might want the lead vocal to come up just a little bit, but it’s close to good as is. I’m not listening on headphones, so the laptop speakers may not be doing it justice. Like the tune—some really cool changeups on the melody throughout that really sparkle. Like that lead guitar a lot. Keep working it!

All my best,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I listened to your third version.

I like the little guitar bit. Keep it.

The lead vocal could be upped just a tad.

The song style reminds me of my teen years.

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Ray
Interesting progression and Bob's short solo works well. For me, the vocals could still come up a touch; some of the lyrics are a little hard to make out (when listening without reading them). But that may just be my not so young ears.
Incidentally, I checked out the band called 'Daniel' you referred to in your comment on our last song (hadn't previously heard of them). Those guys could play - probably deserved to be more successful.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Ray
Interesting progression and Bob's short solo works well. For me, the vocals could still come up a touch; some of the lyrics are a little hard to make out (when listening without reading them). But that may just be my not so young ears.
Incidentally, I checked out the band called 'Daniel' you referred to in your comment on our last song (hadn't previously heard of them). Those guys could play - probably deserved to be more successful.
Regards,
Leon

I'll bump the vox in the next mix Leon - thanks for the tip.
Daniel were promoted by Yamaha with a flexi disc and interview B side in RAM. I loved the single but it wasn't widely available so only had the flexi. I didn't score a copy of the LP until 20 or so years later. it was produced by Mike Rudd of Spectrum/Ariel fame.
Sadly the single was by far the stand out track.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
We're late to the party as usual so listening to version 3.0.

Good one Ray! I (Janice) hear the guitar riff and like it. We both think your lead vocal could come up a little and we like the BGV's. I (Janice) really love your phrasing on the chorus with the emphasis on "no" and "so" and just in general the dynamics are really good.

Bud here: What she said smile I'll add that Bob sounded excellent as do all your performances ... vocals and instruments.

"The man was in there somewhere
Beneath his rhyme there was no reason
His façade would someday crumble
His humour his treason"

One can connect a lot of personal dots with your lyrics (a good thing) and those lines above really stuck with us. Lot of scenarios to apply that to.

Well done and enjoyable even with the disturbing lyric smile

J&B

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
A really good song Ray. I like the unusual chord progression. I think the vocals could come forward more but I think from your previous songs that you like the voice back in the mix...

I just noticed in your identifier that you live just up the road... I'm in Ilkley, near Eudlo.... We used to do the odd gig in the Cooran hall... We used to hire several of the old country halls around here - tack up some posters - put on a door charge - get someone to run a bar...

Chris
More of my music at: https://soundcloud.com/user-663569023
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Chris Dent
A really good song Ray. I like the unusual chord progression. I think the vocals could come forward more but I think from your previous songs that you like the voice back in the mix...

I just noticed in your identifier that you live just up the road... I'm in Ilkley, near Eudlo.... We used to do the odd gig in the Cooran hall... We used to hire several of the old country halls around here - tack up some posters - put on a door charge - get someone to run a bar...

Just 60kms away. I've only been a Queenslander for three weeks though.
If you're in the mood for a jam or recording session I'm here.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
All suggestions were given a go and most survived through to this final, mastered, version...
THANKS for the help.
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/mst-in-there-somewhere-pygmy-beat-extended-feat-bob-harris

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Ray,

Not my genre but I really liked the song so here goes:

Vocals - in tune, well sung and right level for this genre.

Instruments - all good - loved that organ in the intro - maybe could be featured more throughout the song. I did not hear any drum fills - is this on purpose?

Song - nice chord progressions. Could do with a little more light and shade. What about dropping out all instruments except say guitar, organ or just guitar, drums and vocals in the second half of the song for say 8 bars and bringing all instruments back for the chorus? Or What about a stop verse?
This kind of light and shade doubles the value of any song.
Plus no re-recording necessary - just do it all in the DAW in a few minutes.
A good mastering engineer will also suggest this and the A&R folks will love it.

Good luck with your song.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
'rayc'...

I always take a song 'as is', no matter how it's composed or arranged, revised, or whatever. The music, is the music.

I think you captured the minor key feel you sought with a gripping intensity. Your vocal and the places in the song where you harmonized it were sharply-felt, which added some 'teeth' to the whirpool of your shaded lyrics.

Concentrated, yet crackling musical energy radiates from this one, for sure!

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Ray,
Not my genre but I really liked the song so here goes:
Vocals - in tune, well sung and right level for this genre.
Instruments - all good - loved that organ in the intro - maybe could be featured more throughout the song. I did not hear any drum fills - is this on purpose?
Song - nice chord progressions. Could do with a little more light and shade. What about dropping out all instruments except say guitar, organ or just guitar, drums and vocals in the second half of the song for say 8 bars and bringing all instruments back for the chorus? Or What about a stop verse?
This kind of light and shade doubles the value of any song.
Plus no re-recording necessary - just do it all in the DAW in a few minutes.
A good mastering engineer will also suggest this and the A&R folks will love it.
Good luck with your song.
Best Regards
Nigel

Thanks for the detailed response Nigel,
There're plenty of drum fills - at each change in the structure if nowhere else..they may feel subsumed by the tom action but they are there.
Organ...it's there as accent mainly and pops out more at the end of phrases/sections.
Light and shade dynamics are important but so, in this instance of a short song, is full tilt relentlessness which I opted for - it's what the tom patterns reinforce.
A good producer would suggest changes and an ME that one has a good relationship may do. My ME & I have a good creative relationship and he's suggested many great ideas and offered to do interesting things for gratis such as the snare treatment on this old track Thanatoginous...

in which he offered to do a Bowie/Hansa Eventide thing on a sep. snare stem and then insert into the snareless render. I think he did a cool job of it.
A&R? Well, perhaps if I were 30 years younger and less self aware that may influence me.
The track was mastered a couple of days ago so, to avoid spending again, it'll have to stay as is. I'll keep your ideas in mind for the next project though, (it has several holes punched it it already for dynamics and emphasis).
Cheers

Last edited by rayc; 06/17/21 02:51 PM.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
No longer available on Soundcloud? Take care. Greg

User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
No longer available on Soundcloud? Take care. Greg

The finished/mastered version is available but I can't edit the OP to include the link.
It is on page two but here it s again...
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/mst-in-there-somewhere-pygmy-beat-extended-feat-bob-harris

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Rayc
It's not my genre either so can't comment other than the vocal maybe needs upping a tad.
Nigel says the rest.

Vic

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Ray,

None of your links in your introduction post worked. The song was removed or something.
After reading all the posts about your song I saw your answer to Greg AND a new link. That worked!
So I listened, but don't know if this is the newest version, or the oldest or one in between.

My foundings: Alhough it's not really my style, it is a good song. Very coherent and all the instruments can be heard in a clear way. I mean, not a messy bunch of noise.
I have three things though:
1) The sudden start of the song with all instruments playing at once. Probably it's normal, but it would gain a little tension if you shad started with the drums and the bass (or a variation on that) and after some bars the other instruments come in. But that is a mather of taste.
2) Your vocals could use some more db. They have to compete with the other instruments and not always winning that 'battle'.
3) I miss a video on this song. You always have those special, but fascinating videos with your songs and now you don't. Why not???

Have a nice day,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,032
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185