Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Songwriting
Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi, don’t know if this is in the right place, if it’s been mentioned before or if anyone is interested. There seems to be a number of forum members interested or trying out Musescore. This morning I came across this course https://school.masteringmusescore.com/p/complete

It reads as if it should be good. At $25 it looks like a good thing.

Just a thought

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 06/05/21 12:59 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Before MuseScore changed ownership, the goal of the web site seemed to be for Marc Sabatella to sell books to explain the free application. Since he wrote the incomprehensible documentation, it always came off as a bait and switch. His answer to so many 'how to' inquiries was 'buy my book'. Inquiries as to why (name function here) didn't exist were always answered by his long-winded explanation as to why no one needed that functionality.

MuseScore is vastly improved now that he is no longer in charge. I can't imagine that money being well spent.

The business model has changed. Instead of the goal being the sale of Marc's books, the revenue stream has now shifted to encouraging users to upload scores for free and charging others to download them. The app itself is still available at no charge, however.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Songwriting
Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I spent the $25 USD and am really pleased I did. Marc does explain things really well. He also suggests the MuseScore.com WEBSITE for the scores available there. Albeit I’ve only spent a little time looking at this “course” I must say I’m impressed. I’ve had MuseScore for some time and scratched about but really not really getting anywhere. However in very short time doing the course I learnt a lot.

The area I’m more interested in is Tablature, I did not realise just how well MuseScore handles tablature. I initially downloaded MuseScore some years ago to handle something in Tab format but was disappointed. Marc explains that area very well. I have Guitar Pro but I can see myself using MuseScore more for Tablature. MuseScore seems to do a reasonable job in that area.

The musescore.com WEBSITE does look really good. (I can see myself paying the $49 yearly access fee). I downloaded a score, converted if to Tablature, exported the MIDI, put it into Reaper with an AmpleSound guitar. In no time at all I had a lesson in how to play a song in a method I understood. The Tab to read the guitar to view as a demo. Well worth the time.

So far I’m very pleased

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Why I detest MuseScore

MuseScore explained

Since he made this, Robert’s no longer the chief explainer and this guy’s become the chief architect on its redesign. MuseScore may even get good someday but it ain’t there yet.

Oh yea, it’s free — and still worth every penny. Ok, it’s not as bad as Sibelius but it’s down there.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

I noticed that the other day. I got it 4 years ago maybe and was able to download scores.

Now, I found a score by Coldplay and wanted to download it and they wanted to charge me.

But they say it is "free" in advertising.

So how is charging you to download free????

Hmmmmm. I guess I will stick with those old Guitar Pro files and the other 50,000 GPX files I downloaded from some guy a few months back for 9.99.

smile

I love Guitar Pro by the way, except that it seems to erase articulations.

Finale does not but has some quirks. It defaults to 120 and if you want to increase or decrease the tempo and line it up you have to create a tempo marker. Give me a break. The other commands and widgets will make you smash yourself in the head with a hammer. Maybe it has changed since my last version, I dunno.

I often wonder if any of these people realize there are only like 10 things we really want to do, and we want to do them easily???

Ok, that was MY rant for the day.

smile

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
MuseScore has recently been through a corporate shakeup with a new name, The Muse Group, and has purchased Audacity. Martin Keary is now heading up a re-design of both apps.

This should be very good news. Mr. Keary has been an outspoken critic of stupid things that Audacity and MuseScore do so poorly. He is, in fact, the same Tantacrul who made that video a year ago. Perhaps with him at the helm, both apps might finally become good.

The current plan is for both to remain free — or free-ish as MuseScore is currently.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Quote:
It defaults to 120 and if you want to increase or decrease the tempo and line it up you have to create a tempo marker.

No. If you import a MIDI file, Finale will default to 120 but you can easily clear that and set it to playback at any tempo you like without setting a new tempo marker. If you like, I can post a couple of screen shots to show you how.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

Mike,

That would be awesome. I would love to know how to do that.

Also, since it seems like you have a good grip on this stuff, I have a question--and don't laugh.

I have been playing around a lot with Midi Guitar to trigger synths and the articulation capabilities are very winsome.

In coding (or in practice for that matter) what is the difference between expression/articulation and volume, per se, and how is it programmed?

For example, when I am playing classical guitar, the sound (or one aspect of the volume) is caused by many factors, such the the pressure of fingers on BOTH hands, attack, plucking speed and many others. Not like a volume knob that just goes up and down.

This might not make any sense--but what is articulation, in a digital sense, and how do programmers tackle that? I am very impressed when I see it happening and would like to know more about it and how it is done.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Hi David,

You're asking about two different things but I'll answer one at a time.
Quote:
In coding (or in practice for that matter) what is the difference between expression/articulation and volume, per se, and how is it programmed?

For example, when I am playing classical guitar, the sound (or one aspect of the volume) is caused by many factors, such the the pressure of fingers on BOTH hands, attack, plucking speed and many others. Not like a volume knob that just goes up and down.

They can't really but there are two ways that they can fake it.

One way is by velocity layers which has been mentioned by others. Simply, a sample can really be a number of layers where each is sampled by playing the note harder or louder. The term for this is depth with many of the expensive VIs having up to 30 layers or so. As we know, that's not the same as playing louder. When you play through your interface, the harder you play actually triggers a different sample than the one you triggered by playing softly. Though there are theoretically 127 layers, same as MIDI notes, the deep sample libraries might sample 20-30 layers on a piano.

The other way is Round Robin. With this, if you play a note, say, 4 times in a row, the library will alternate among 4 samples played at that depth (volume). Some do this sequentially while others do RR at random. The inexpensive libraries can't do this at all, of course.

In The Mercury (34.36 GB)/Mercury Lite (3.59 GB) example I gave earlier, some of the difference in size is explained by additional mic positions and effects but the full version uses 37,172 samples and has 4x Round Robin while Lite has 4,784 samples and has 2x Round Robin. Both have 8 Velocity Layers.

I want to grab some screen shots of Finale 27 before answering the other. I upgraded last week and want to make sure there are no changes in clearing MIDI Tempo data. I don't think there are but…

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

Wow, Mike, thanks!

That is incredibly helpful and useful to know.

Very cool stuff!

smile

Songwriting
Apprentice
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Why I detest MuseScore

MuseScore explained

Since he made this, Robert’s no longer the chief explainer and this guy’s become the chief architect on its redesign. MuseScore may even get good someday but it ain’t there yet.

Oh yea, it’s free — and still worth every penny. Ok, it’s not as bad as Sibelius but it’s down there.

Whether or not MuseScore is "good" or "bad" or even "detestable" depends, I think, on what a person wants to use it for. I've been using MuseScore for at least six years now to create basic lead sheets (scores) of my songs. When I purchased BiaB in Dec. 2018, I was thrilled to discover that I could use MuseScore to export XML files of my lead sheets that I could then import into BiaB with the lyrics, melody, and chords intact. Though I don't use the lyrics, I will occasionally use the melody as the starting point reference for an arrangement that I'll create in BiaB. But most importantly, I will definitely use the chords in BiaB, which has saved me countless hours that I would have had to spend manually entering the chords into BiaB. So, for me, MuseScore isn't just "good." It's "indispensable." Btw, I mostly taught myself how to use it in conjunction with a few video tutorials I watched on Youtube without buying any of Marc's books.

I should also mention that I use MuseScore to play the melodies of my songs as I capture them in a video that I will later upload to my Youtube account so that I can share my songs with friends, relatives, and others. Before I purchased BiaB, I kept the audio track of the piano that MuseScore created when I made the video. But since I learned how to create arrangements of my songs in BiaB, I have been replacing the piano only audio files with WAV files of my BiaB arrangements. Included with these BiaB arrangements is a vocal track (imported as an audio file) that I create in Synthesizer V. But instead of having to spend hours entering each note of my melody into Synth V in order to create a vocal track that will be sung by Synth V's Eleanor Forte voice database (which I was doing initially), I'm able to use a script (courtesy of another Synth V/MuseScore user) to convert an uncompressed MuseScore 3 file into a Synth V file, which I will have to modify slightly, of course, so that Eleanor pronounces properly all of the lyrics in my songs. So, MuseScore truly has been and continues to be an indispensable tool in my songwriting toolbox.

Last edited by muzikluver; 06/27/21 11:31 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention Synth V

Tom Levan (pronounced La-VAN)
BiaB 2024 Win UltraPAK Build 1109, Xtra Style PAKs 1-11, RB 2024, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Q9650 3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD & 2 TB HDD, Tracktion 6 & 7 (freebies), Cakewalk, Audacity, MuseScore 2.1 & 3.4, Synthesizer V
Songwriting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks for these comments, Tom.

Please give us a link to your YouTube channel. I would like to see and hear what you mentioned in your post.

Steve Kobb
PS: I searched YouTube for Tom Levan and muzikluver, but couldn't find your work.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
https://www.musicxml.com/music-in-musicxml/

Speaking of MuseScore, it's listed on this site along with a whole lot of others. Some potentially good stuff to be looked into, here!

(I had been hoping to import wonderfully simple flat text ABC format files into BIAB, but that doesn't work with the Mac version, though ABC can be converted to MusicXML and then imported.)

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Back to the original post. MuseScore has changed a lot since that $25 course was offered. It's a waste of money now.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,585
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193