Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#659874 - 06/10/21 09:06 AM [User Showcase] New composition_Tranquility_thank you.
Loc: The Heartland....Kansas
chulaivet1966 Offline
Expert

Howdy all….

https://soundcloud.com/chulaivet1966/tranquility_ken-lasine-on-lead-guitar
https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14262513

Well…(3) songs and (1) composition in (2) months is a record for me. I don't know where this spurt of creative energy came from.
I'm not complaining though, I must say. smile Hope I’m not creatively spent for the next decade.

Surprise...it's not a '4onthefloor' rock tune smile.
This is a breezy, semi-jazzy composition....another one that is a bit out of my comfort zone.

I came up with the progression and sent it off to Ken Lasaine for his thoughts and guitar work. The stand up bass just wasn’t working for me at all and I could find no viable replacement.
But, I know recording a clear, cut through the mix stand up bass is not an easy task.

The line up:
Drums/piano–BIAB
Lead Guitar-Ken
Guiro-Ken
Organ bed-me
Bass-me
Cabasa-me
Congas-me

Thanks to any/all that stop by and give a listen.
Hope you find it worthy of your time.
Have a great day.

_B140_BD.STY Latin Brazilian Bossa (140 RS) All RealTracks! Bossa rhythm section with Acoustic Piano, Acoustic Bass & BossaTerryClarke^6-Blstix,Stks RealDrums. (Ac.Bass, Ac.Piano, Drums=BossaTerryClarke^6-Blstix,Stks)

Edited by chulaivet1966 (06/10/21 09:42 AM)

#660062 - 06/11/21 01:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: chulaivet1966]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Getting out of your comfort zone certainly pays off to our ears!

That is a sophisticated and well performed tune indeed. Y'all's performances are very nice.

The choice of tracks, the melody, the arrangement and the mix sound great.

Well done,

J&B

PS: As an upright bass player over the years I never ended the struggle
with recording it. My best choice always seem to be wrapping a good
mic in foam rubber and stuffing it under the bridge smile

#660085 - 06/11/21 04:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: chulaivet1966]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Expert

Loc: Illinois
Pretty thick arrangement.

moto

https://sites.google.com/view/captainmoto-com/home?authuser=0

#660093 - 06/11/21 04:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: chulaivet1966]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Wayne,
nice tune with a Latin flavor. Does not feel "out of comfort zone" at all, pretty laid back to my ears. Liked everything, especially your own percussion with exception of brushy RD... I think it is a little too "brushy". You have cabasa and guiro, that takes care of most higher pitched percussion spectrum, I think brushed RD is a bit of an overkill. I have no clue how Latin rock fusion drums supposed to sound, this is just opinion that came to mind, so don't take it too seriously. Overall, considering all instrumentals that both of you did, its a strong original tune hands down. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#660114 - 06/11/21 08:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: chulaivet1966]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Maryland
Like it a lot, I'm a fan of Ken's playing. Bass wasn't an issue for me, though I do like the sound of an upright in jazz. Good work!

#660158 - 06/12/21 05:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: chulaivet1966]
chulaivet1966 Offline
Expert

Gooood mornin'....

Howdy J&B....
I glad you found it worthy and I appreciate the very generous comments.
Ha....agreed.
I've never recorded an upright bass but you confirmed my perceptions about getting a good recording and have it cut through the mix.
I could find no good replacement so I did it myself.

Howdy moto....
Yes....mixing it was a bit tricky.
But....IMO...the genre requires some percussion to be there to support of the overall vibe.
Hence, it can be 'thick'. smile

Howdy misha....
I couldn't find any appropriate trap set either with this 'style' I started with.
So, I have to live the the brush work which I find works fine.
Again....mixing was a challenge.
At some point we have to make a preferential judgment call or we'd never finish anything.

Howdy Tunemonger....
Yes....Ken is a very fine musician and I'm fortunate to have him collaborate on my efforts.
I did bass because the original just wasn't working for me.

Thank you all very much for giving it a spin and taking the time comments
Have a great weekend everyone.

#660163 - 06/12/21 06:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: chulaivet1966]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
Breezy to be sure. Also quite relaxing and entertaining. Again you sound quite comfortable out of your comfort range, chulaivet. Ken really took the progression and played some cool guitars. At first I thought the cymbals sounded like ocean waves. Was that intentional or just where this dreamy music took me? Either way, a fun ride. Perfect for a hammock and a red Stripe.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 10

#660166 - 06/12/21 06:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: BabuMusic]
chulaivet1966 Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Breezy to be sure. Also quite relaxing and entertaining. Again you sound quite comfortable out of your comfort range, chulaivet. Ken really took the progression and played some cool guitars. At first I thought the cymbals sounded like ocean waves. Was that intentional or just where this dreamy music took me? Either way, a fun ride. Perfect for a hammock and a red Stripe.

Howdy Marty....
Yes....they are not cymbals.
The beginning and end is a seashore/beach waves .wav file.
I suppose I could have made them a but louder. smile
Agreed, Ken's guitar work enhances that 'Steely Dan at the beach' vibe.

I thank you for checking it out and the kind comments.
Have a great weekend.

(hmmmm....where's my coffee)

#660381 - 06/14/21 03:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: chulaivet1966]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
The bass supports the guitar as it should...tone wise...well, it's a difficult thing to do..a buzz pick up combined with a close mic CAN work but with a bull it depends a lot on the room. You have the thud in the right places so it works for me.

#660385 - 06/14/21 04:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: chulaivet1966]
Loc: SA, Australia
Ghostgum Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SA, Australia
Breezy is right. Peppy, yet strangely relaxing. I like!

#660482 - 06/14/21 06:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: chulaivet1966]
chulaivet1966 Offline
Expert

Howdy Rayc....

The original stand up bass was mushy and didn't cut through any mix or compliment the trap set.
So....I did what I had to do.
I'm glad the bass didn't make you stop playing it. smile

Ghostgum....how's things.

"Breezy", easy listening beach music....that about describes it to me.
Glad you found it worthy of a spin.

Thanks very much gents for stopping by giving a listen.

Have a great evenin'...

#660489 - 06/14/21 08:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: chulaivet1966]
Chris Dent Offline
Apprentice

A very nice track to unwind to...

#660651 - 06/16/21 04:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: Chris Dent]
chulaivet1966 Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Chris Dent
A very nice track to unwind to...

G'day mate....

I thank you for stopping by, giving a listen and the kind comment.

Have a great day....supposed to be 102 degrees here!

#660738 - 06/16/21 07:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: chulaivet1966]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very cool tune. Loved the guitar. Excellent backtrack. Well done

#660739 - 06/16/21 08:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: chulaivet1966]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Very nice playing and a good solid composition.

Nice work all round.

Peter

#660891 - 06/18/21 03:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: chulaivet1966]
chulaivet1966 Offline
Expert

Howdy Scott C....PeterF....

I thank you sirs for taking the time to give a listen and the kind comments.

As it turns out, this composition is the last one to complete the collaboration project that Ken Lasaine and I have completed.

I'll be making a video with all (8) of them to upload to YT.
It will contain pics related to the song subject along with the lyrics.
I'm no Spielberg or Lucas so I'm sure it will be the perfect opportunity to embarrass myself.

Thanks again....have a great day. (104 degrees again today in the heartland)

Edited by chulaivet1966 (06/18/21 03:32 AM)

#660975 - 06/18/21 03:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: chulaivet1966]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Nice song!! Has a breezy, driving through the city at sunset kind of feel!! Well played!! Enjoyed it a bunch!! Take care. Greg

#660977 - 06/18/21 03:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: chulaivet1966]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Virginia USA
Different from a lot that I've listened to here, but good and enjoyable.

Uplifting and a bit of a stroll along the shore.

#661020 - 06/19/21 05:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: chulaivet1966]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Hi Chulaivet,

What is your comfort zone?
If you make music with a lot of passion and pleasure it must be inside that zone.
This song definitely feels this way.

The 'breeziness' is certainly there! I was only waiting for a rum and coke to be served...

But, have you only used BiaB for the piano (RT)? And no Style?
I read you and Ken did all the other instruments yourself.
I got questionmarks on that. How did you do that?

Hans

#661032 - 06/19/21 06:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: New composition_Tranquility_thank you. [Re: chulaivet1966]
chulaivet1966 Offline
Expert

Howdy gents....

Greg...
"Breezy" seems to fit this one appropriately. smile

Ezekiel....
Well....I'd guess most of my material might fall into the "different" from the norm here. smile
But...that's the beauty of BIAB....it allows us to go outside our box.....so to speak.

Hans....(ha....the 'rum & coke' comment was quite fitting smile )
"What is your comfort zone"?
Valid question: I'm just a simple, rock/roll kind of guy/writer.

As I mentioned....I only kept the trap set and piano on this one for specific reasons.
I exported those (2) as wave files and imported those (2) tracks into Cakewalk.
I then played the bass line using my Roland MBD-1 (bass/drum module)
I then put a cabasa percussion track also using the MBD-1.
I then tracked an organ bedding track using my Proteus FX (also a sound module).
I made a rough mix MP3 and sent it to Ken to import into this DAW.
He added his guitar & quiro track and then sent those MP3's to me.
I imported in Cakewalk and worked on the mix from there....we both arrive at a consensus for the final mix.

The above is how we also did my other (7) originals.
(I'm in the heartland and Ken is in Los Angeles)

I hope I understood your question accurately and answered to your expectations.
Any further questions I'll be happy to answer.

This is the style I worked from: (on the first page)
_B140_BD.STY Latin Brazilian Bossa (140 RS) All RealTracks! Bossa rhythm section with Acoustic Piano, Acoustic Bass & BossaTerryClarke^6-Blstix,Stks RealDrums. (Ac.Bass, Ac.Piano, Drums=BossaTerryClarke^6-Blstix,Stks)

Thank you sirs for giving a listen and taking the time to comment favorably.

Have a great weekend!

Edited by chulaivet1966 (06/19/21 09:00 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

Take a look at our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

In this video, we demonstrate how to use some of the newest features added with Band-in-a-Box® 2023, including Partial Re-Generation, Undo Track/Song Regeneration, Playable RealTracks, Master Track Automation, and more!

Watch: Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

The Band-in-a-Box® 2023 DAW Plugin Version 5.0 is Here!

There are over 40 enhancements to the Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows DAW Plugin Version 5.0, including Drum Stems (separate tracks from the different microphones used during the actual recording sessions), 4 color schemes to choose from, enhanced chord settings, improved undo/redo operation, "Rebuild StylePicker" notification whenever rebuild is required, EZ RealTracks/RealDrums Folder Locations dialog and much more!

The DAW Plugin Version 5.0 is included with all Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows orders - and our 2023 upgrades are ON SALE until December 31st! Until then, save up to 50% - upgrade for as little as $49!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Videos - One-Stop Shopping!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows, we're creating videos summarizing the new features, explaining new features in detail, and showcasing the new Add-ons!

Whether it's a summary of the new features, demonstrations of the 222 new RealTracks, information on the 2023 49-PAK, demonstrations of our new XPro Styles PAK 4 and Xtra Styles PAKs 14 & 15, or detailed tutorials for other Band-in-a-Box® 2023 features, we have you covered!

Reference this forum post for One-Stop Shopping of our Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Videos - we will be updating this post as more videos are added!

RealBand 2023 is Here!

Just released - RealBand 2023!

There are over 30 new features to RealBand 2023, including RealChart generation for RealDrums, MIDI Vocoder and Fix Tuning modes for Audio Harmonies, MicroChords (up to 4 chords per beat), RealDrum Stems support, Playable RealTracks to customize the RealTracks performances by adding your own notes, Reverse Audio Effects, easy Tab key navigation on the Chords Window, smoother mouse wheel operation on the Tracks Window, the EZ RealTracks/RealDrums folder locations dialog, and much more!

RealBand 2023 is included with all Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows orders - and our 2023 upgrades are ON SALE until December 31st! Until then, save up to 50% - upgrade for as little as $49!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows is here - and it's on SALE!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows is here, and it includes over 70 new features and an amazing collection of new content, including 222 RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Song with Vocals" Artist Performances, XPro Styles PAK 4, Xtra Styles PAK 14 & 15, Playable RealTracks Set 2, Playable RealDrums Set 1, 2 new sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2022 - save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2023 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!) upgrade it to the 2023 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows.

Celebrate National Jukebox Day with Band-in-a-Box®!

Happy National Jukebox Day!

You don't need to go out and buy a Jukebox - if you're using Band-in-a-Box®, you already have one!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox do?

Using the directory you choose, the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® SGU files within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your Jukebox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, and more! Plus, the Jukebox will continue to play while you use other programs, providing your favorite music for continued background listening pleasure!

To learn more about the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box®, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual, here. Mac too!

Forum Stats
36786 Members
64 Forums
76273 Topics
674367 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
firesoundwave, D rose, salvomado1, acush, robg

36786 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jpettit 248
Matt Finley 197