Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Cathie.

in order for people to help you further it might be prudent
at this point if you listed what equipment you have.
so people can best advise how to use it.
otherwise the rest of us are guessing.
so please post a list of equipment you are useing.
details on your computer would also be helpfull.

also do you have a decent sound interface ?
what is it ?
i ask this because you mentioned a noise you are getting.

yes rests are important.

best
oldmuso
ps yes you can bring into realband songs done in biab.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 05/21/21 11:42 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Hi oldmuso, thanks! Basically I have the computer and BIAB. My guess is I have no sound interface at all. You mean something external, like an AudioBox or something? Nothing. I didn't know I needed one when I bought BIAB--thought it had everything I needed.

I bought the computer specifically for BIAB. HP 64 bit Laptop, Windows 10, Core i5, 240 Ghz, 8 GB ram, 256 GB hard drive, the internal sound card that came with it, internal speakers (RealTek Audio). I have it plugged into inexpensive logi speakers.

I do have a pair of Sennheiser mixing headphones but I don't use them often because they don't sound any different than the speakers (so what good are they?) and they consistently make the ringing in my ears worse.

BIAB 2021 Build 833 and RB on a hard drive (not on my computer; I plug it in when I'm using it, put it away when I'm not). I use the 64 bit option on BIAB and RB. I bought the hard drive because I know my internet connection is too slow to successfully download any kind of DAW. Heck, at this point it doesn't even like youtubes. I'd never be able to download anything big.

I had Audacity on my last computer and it's been pretty good at reducing noise. Kinda shocked that BIAB didn't give me that option but maybe it's in RB? Until I started reading these forums I didn't understand that Audacity is a DAW. Makes sense to me that the things I used to use it for I would now need to do in RB.

Love is always worth the risk.

HP laptop; Windows 10 Home 64 bit; core i5; 2.40 Ghz; 8 GB RAM; 256 GB hard drive; BIAB 2021 Build 835.
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Cathie.
i thought i saw in one of your posts that you have a piano.
am i mistaken ? please confirm. also do you have a microphone ?
do you anticipate doing high quality vocs ?
please detail your objectives/needs. please also detail the model of your computer so i can look up the specs.
for future reference i never buy new (too much bloat on new pc's.) i only buy refurbished pc's with ssd's.

heres some tips starting out on the crazy music journey lol.
1. allot some time each week learning what other people are doing with their project studios. also spend time watching bb and realband vids on you tube.
2. this pg site and others like gearspace.com where thousands of studios large and small hang out are a good learning resource. and for getting gear reviews and recording tips. but be aware also gear sellers hang out on various sites. just cos someone says "buy this 1k mic and youll be makeing hit records in no time " it might be someone with a bias.
as my grandmother used to say "be carefull and make sure your money is the last thing you part with".
note pg users are a great bunch of people. so if in doubt ask us all our opinion on gear.
3. dont spend lots of money initially cos your needs will change over time as you get more familiar with things.
4. spend some time on you tube watching vids on "setting up a low cost high quality home recording project studio".
5. BEST BET if your interested in a piece of gear is to RENT IT from a reputable local music store.
eg i do this with audio interfaces a lot.
do you have a decent local music store like i do that lets you rent gear for a week or so ?

when you post back i'll be happy to suggest a low cost interface and a low cost mic that wont break the bank (and other pg users can critique me if they wish lol.)
depending on your needs.

best
oldmuso will try and help as my time allows cos i'm
also doing my own songs.
ps ive set up more than 1 studio in my life.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
< I had Audacity on my last computer and it's been pretty good at reducing noise. Kinda shocked that BIAB didn't give me that option but maybe it's in RB? Until I started reading these forums I didn't understand that Audacity is a DAW. Makes sense to me that the things I used to use it for I would now need to do in RB. >

Here's a tip that can save you time and will also provide audio editing features not available in Audacity, RealBand or any other DAW.

T I P:
BIAB has a very robust and competent built in Audio Editor to the Audio Channel and the 16 Utility Tracks.

It has all of the common and necessary audio editing features found in other audio editors and DAW's but it has the unique feature of having access to all of BIAB's other built in features that not even RealBand has. And, RealBand only comes close to providing BIAB exclusive features.

You can edit files and hear the editing results in real time without need to do any importing or exporting of files. There's no concern of syncing and re-syncing files edited in an external DAW or editor. The editing tools are named similarly and react similarly to the Audacity audio commands you are familiar with.

Here's a screen shot taken from the BIAB Help Menu of the Editing Tools list:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Audio Editor Screenshot .png (78.77 KB, 149 downloads)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Cathie.
i thought i saw in one of your posts that you have a piano.
am i mistaken ? please confirm. also do you have a microphone ?
do you anticipate doing high quality vocs ?
please detail your objectives/needs. please also detail the model of your computer so i can look up the specs.
for future reference i never buy new (too much bloat on new pc's.) i only buy refurbished pc's with ssd's.

Hi oldmuso. I have a Yamaha DGX 660 keyboard. For recording, I've been using an older digital recorder, Zoom H1. I had bought a Cobalt Co9 dynamic cardioid mic when I bought Gizmo (the keyboard), but it's never worked with the keyboard and so it sits in the box along with the mixing headphones. I have absolutely no idea how to use it with my computer.

The computer says it's "HP Laptop17by4xxx" and I haven't found any other model name no matter how I've searched. It's running Windows 10 Home. I have two fastUSB ports, one HDMI port, a port I don't recognize (the little icon looks like a zipper), and one audio jack. There's a webcam with a mic but I haven't tried it yet. It also had a card reader slot and a DVD drive.

Quality on my vocals... well, I myself am the weak link there **rueful smile** but I would like to at least be able to get an accurate recording.

Objectives... My hands are giving out. I need to be able to create the accompaniments for my vocals without having to play my keyboard. What I wanted to be able to do is put my already written songs into BIAB, including the notation, add in the vocals, and then export the final song as an MP3 so I can share it with friends and post it on Soundcloud. I anticipated being able to write the instrumental parts like I would in a notation program, especially since I have some school band and orchestra pieces. I anticipated MIDI patches that sounded professional rather than tinny (since it turns out MIDI is the only thing I can write for in BIAB). I don't have any idea why my MIDI patches are so bad, since the RT sound so good. **shrugs**

I opened my SGU in RB. It plays static free, just like it does in BIAB. And I read a goodly chunk of the Users Guide today but it never says anything more than "It's possible to save the file as WAV or MPwhatever" so I still don't know what I'm doing... but I do know that most of the users guides for RB and BIAB alike read like a foreign language to me, which is why I started watching youtube tutorials instead.

I know that I need to learn music production skills in order to fully realize what I hear in my head (unless, you know, I could win the lottery and hire a 40 piece dance band... not so likely, eh?). I just didn't know it would feel so impossible to learn these skills, and I honestly didn't know I would need anything more than a new computer, BIAB, and RB.

HP laptop; Windows 10 Home 64 bit; core i5; 2.40 Ghz; 8 GB RAM; 256 GB hard drive; BIAB 2021 Build 835.
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Here's a tip that can save you time and will also provide audio editing features not available in Audacity, RealBand or any other DAW.

T I P:
BIAB has a very robust and competent built in Audio Editor to the Audio Channel and the 16 Utility Tracks.

It has all of the common and necessary audio editing features found in other audio editors and DAW's but it has the unique feature of having access to all of BIAB's other built in features that not even RealBand has. And, RealBand only comes close to providing BIAB exclusive features.

You can edit files and hear the editing results in real time without need to do any importing or exporting of files. There's no concern of syncing and re-syncing files edited in an external DAW or editor. The editing tools are named similarly and react similarly to the Audacity audio commands you are familiar with.

Hi Charlie! I had no idea.

Will it give me the ability to reduce or eliminate noise, so I can render an MP3 without static?

My brain is currently fried from reading the users guide--hasn't been this fried since college algebra!--so I'm going to have to experiment with the audio editor tomorrow. I really appreciate your directing me to it. Never really learned how to use Audacity properly. I mostly just used it to deal with volume and noise. Sooner or later I have to learn to do all of the common editing tasks. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction for that.

Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
< Will it give me the ability to reduce or eliminate noise, so I can render an MP3 without static? >

Yes.

However, if rendering a song to MP3 is creating static during the rendering, that is an issue that is better fixed at the source. Rendering should not be creating static.
But if it is and you are currently repairing the rendered MP3 audio using Audacity, then likely the tools you're using in Audacity are also available in BIAB.

Common editing tools like cut/paste, volume automation, fade in and fade out are accessed from the Audio Editor and audio shaping and Fx tools like compression, delay, flangers, noise gates, de-esser are accessed from the top tool menu Audio drop down menu and they are currently only accessible on the Audio Channel but not the Utility Tracks. This isn't a problem because you just place any audio file onto the Audio Channel for that editing and then move it onto a Utility Track. The task will still be faster than exporting to a DAW and re-importing it back into BIAB for further processing. You will also be able to instantly audition your edits and make small corrections to timing and audio placement right in BIAB eliminating estimating and guesswork.

There are 19 editing tools located in the Audio Editor plus you can generate or regenerate an audio track from within the Audio Editor. There's another 19 Direct-X plug ins in the Audio Tool Bar which gives you nearly 40 Audio Tools in BIAB.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Cathie.
ok thanks for the info.
the very first step that has to be taken is to
"PROPERLY CONFIGURE YOUR RECORDING STUDIO".
ie a methodical step by step procedure to set it up properly.
lets first address your computer. i need some info.
1. assuming pc is shutdown cold. how long does it take from the moment you press the pc power button to seeing win desktop ?
under 10 secs ? or a loooong time ? in addition please open up realband and in the menus you will see action test audio performance.
how many traks does the test report ? over 200 traks ?
this will help me assess your pc capabilities somewhat.
btw i have an i5 much older than yours with ssd. its very very fast. but its been optimised by me. it boots into win in only a few secs.
2. dont worry bout the piano. you can still do loads of songs.
i cant do notation or play the piano but that hasnt stopped me doing 300 original songs in my life in studios big and small. if i remember a ton of rockers with big hits couldnt do notation/piano either.

as a next step please read up on you tube the following if not already done so.

.optimising a pc for recording studio work.
.what is latency ?
.how to install a low latency asio usb audio interface.
(look on you tube for vids by focusrite, maudio, behringer
and other manufacturers as a start.)
.best cheap condenser microphone female singer. please note your mic is a dynamic not a condenser. the problem with dynamics is they need lots of gain compared to condensers. and some interfaces dont have lots of gain. thus problems can occur.
but lets see first what the cobalt can do.

it looks to me like you will need a cheap low latency usb audio interface. some work great and others dont depending on pc. which is why i test them by first renting.
DO YOU HAVE A RECORDING STORE NEAR YOU THAT RENTS RECORDING GEAR TO TEST LIKE I DO ? this can be problematic.
best
oldmuso

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 05/23/21 08:16 PM.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Cathie,

Yes you will need an external audio interface. Here is a list of some inexpensive ones that are top rated:

https://thefuturemuse.com/inexpensive-audio-interfaces/#4

A number of forum members use Focusrite audio interfaces.

As far as MIDI sounds the included free Coyote is at the bottom of a list of good MIDI sounds. Soundfonts are better and there are some free to inexpensive soundfont players and sounds available. The BiaB included SFZ player is also better. The more you spend the better your MIDI sounds. Kontakt and SampleTank are a couple of expensive but excellent MIDI sound sources but both have free players with limited amount of sounds available.

BUT if I am reading you correctly you may not want to try improving MIDI sounds until you get BiaB, RealBand, or any other DAW or hardware (audio interface, monitors, mic, etc) down completely. All except the GM soundfont MIDI sounds I have mentioned will require you to assign sounds to each MIDI track and that can be a real challenge until you know your system like the back of your hand.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Been away from the internet for a few days....

So,

Cathy. It depends if you want to simply dabble in this as a pastime or if you are trying to produce halfway decent recordings, as to whether you need an external interface or not.

Most internal realtek sound chips are not good for this thing we do. They are designed to play waves and mp3 files for listening only. We are working with midi and synths and multiple audio tracks and with full duplex where sound is going in both directions..... in and out at the same time.

YES, you need an interface to do that. I like and use Focusrite. MAudio, presonus, and a few others are good. Do Not Go Cheap. Look for something that supports ASIO.

Normally you get the static, clicks, pops and audio drop-outs on the playback and recording side of things. Rendered waves tend to render well because it's not trying to keep everything synced in real time. That you have (as I understand it) static in the rendered mp3 is a puzzlement to me. But if so, I would think it was from the realtek chip set.

You should also learn how to use a fully capable DAW to get the best from your music. It's a long process of learning. And.... you shouldn't beat yourself up over things you don't know. I like to say that there are things you don't know until you know them. Heck, you don't even know they exist until you know them and then that almost always opens the door to more things that you didn't know. It's an ongoing process of learning. Everyone starts somewhere.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Oh my gosh!! You guys!!! Wow!! Thank you! I appreciate everything you've said. Edited the quotes to keep this from getting too long, and I'll answer oldmuso separately.

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
However, if rendering a song to MP3 is creating static during the rendering, that is an issue that is better fixed at the source. Rendering should not be creating static.

That was certainly my thought, that it shouldn't create static. Thank you for explaining where to find things in Audio Editor. I'll be checking that out.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
BUT if I am reading you correctly you may not want to try improving MIDI sounds until you get BiaB, RealBand, or any other DAW or hardware (audio interface, monitors, mic, etc) down completely. All except the GM soundfont MIDI sounds I have mentioned will require you to assign sounds to each MIDI track and that can be a real challenge until you know your system like the back of your hand.

That's why I switched to audio for now... I can tell that I just don't understand what I'm doing with MIDI yet. I don't have professionally made MIDIs of full songs, just the notation file for one instrument exported as a MIDI... awful sound when done that way. And I'm still a newbie with the whole BIAB process so I really do need to practice more. Thank you for the link to the audio interfaces!

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Most internal realtek sound chips are not good for this thing we do. They are designed to play waves and mp3 files for listening only. We are working with midi and synths and multiple audio tracks and with full duplex where sound is going in both directions..... in and out at the same time.... static in the rendered mp3 is a puzzlement to me. But if so, I would think it was from the realtek chip set.

So I'm going to assume the RealTek soundcard is my problem. We have access to an IT guy who rescued my hard drive from a broken computer. Pretty sure he can replace the sound card. Now I also regret not being a packrat; should have kept the AudioBox. Oh well.

I'll need a different sound card and an audio interface, and that means figuring out how to save up some money. In the meantime, I'll keep exploring BIAB and RB. Seems to me that this process is just going to take quite a while, and my expectations for being able to use BIAB right out of the box were unrealistic. I'll be very fortunate if I can do what I want by the end of the year... but at least I can get good at using RT in the meantime.

Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
lets first address your computer. i need some info.
1. assuming pc is shutdown cold. how long does it take from the moment you press the pc power button to seeing win desktop ?
under 10 secs ? or a loooong time ? in addition please open up realband and in the menus you will see action test audio performance.
how many traks does the test report ? over 200 traks ?
this will help me assess your pc capabilities somewhat.
btw i have an i5 much older than yours with ssd. its very very fast. but its been optimised by me. it boots into win in only a few secs.

10 seconds--fast enough to surprise me, after using old computers for so long.

"Estimated Number of 44.1k Audio tracks for playback: 189 (Note: Estimated performance is for Mono tracks)"

Quote:
2. dont worry bout the piano. you can still do loads of songs.
i cant do notation or play the piano but that hasnt stopped me doing 300 original songs in my life in studios big and small. if i remember a ton of rockers with big hits couldnt do notation/piano either.

I go back to Gizmo (the keyboard) just to remind myself that I honestly am a competent musician. **rueful smile** It's still how I prefer to write new songs.

Quote:
as a next step please read up on you tube the following if not already done so.
.optimising a pc for recording studio work.
.what is latency ?
.how to install a low latency asio usb audio interface.
(look on you tube for vids by focusrite, maudio, behringer
and other manufacturers as a start.)

Okay. I can do that.
Quote:
.best cheap condenser microphone female singer. please note your mic is a dynamic not a condenser. the problem with dynamics is they need lots of gain compared to condensers. and some interfaces dont have lots of gain. thus problems can occur.
but lets see first what the cobalt can do.

I bought the dynamic mic because Gizmo's manual said only a dynamic would work with the keyboard. The idea was to plug the mic into Gizmo and record the song directly onto the keyboard--but the mic never worked, and I could never get Audiobox to work (multiple download errors due to slow internet) so I couldn't check the mic out that way, either. If I'm understanding what everyone is telling me, I'll be plugging it into the new audio interface, whichever one I get, and recording my vocals into BIAB or RB? So I need to check the gain ony potential interface. Okay.

Quote:
it looks to me like you will need a cheap low latency usb audio interface. some work great and others dont depending on pc. which is why i test them by first renting.
DO YOU HAVE A RECORDING STORE NEAR YOU THAT RENTS RECORDING GEAR TO TEST LIKE I DO ? this can be problematic.
best
oldmuso

Have not got a clue. There's a couple music stores about a mile up the street but I have no idea if they rent gear--they're pretty specialized, one sells orchestra instruments and guitars and no gear, the other sells drums, so they might have gear... but I stay out of that one! Carpal tunnel wrists do not need to be itching for congas!! **big eyes** But I think before I get to the point of needing to rent anything, I should do some learning. Google search on "low latency usb audio interface" brought me almost 5 million results and the focusrite is at the top. I know it's pretty popular here so I'll read about it along with the others.

Thank you for all your help. After I've done some reading, can I run things by you before I have the IT friend change anything on my computer? If not, that's okay. I still appreciate all your help!!

...........honestly, I'm not sure any of you guys understand how much help you've been to me, or just how grateful I am to all of you. Your help is saving me from thinking I made a terrible mistake. Thank you, all of you.

Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Cathie.
my reply.
1. feel free to ask any gear questions includeing IT questions. there are lots of pg users like myself well versed in both IT computer engineering as well as setting up a recording studio.
2. thank you for the info on your pc. so far i see no reason why you cant use this pc. but this might change later on depending on your needs evolving and how well it performs on in depth song projects.
another decision you need to make is "should the pc see the net." my recording pc doesnt. i use a seperate cheap pc for surfing.
(just read up on this topic cos i dont have the space to explain further.)
for futher reading (sorry !) you might research what many big studios use. they use custom pc's finely tuned that are bought "turnkey" with the sound devices already installed.
but they are 2k plus , and highly optimised for large track and plug in counts. they are basically powerhouses. (just read up on gearspace.com and the net; companies like scan audio, silent pc, adk pro audio, and purrfect audio.
you dont need one at this point. i only mention them as a lot can be learned from their sites and pc configs. they can be a good source of info on gear also.
3. i think right now you have a strategic decision to make.
either you carry on(with us pg users assistance) setting up your recording studio in a proper functional fashion OR another option is to use a local studio in your area ; the latter would probably allow you to get your songs down faster BUT can be costly.
assuming the former. ...
4. phone up your local music stores (i believe you have a guitar centre in you area according to the net for example ?) and enquire if they rent low latency asio usb audio interfaces with 48v phantom for a month.
even better would be with a condenser microphone. (need 48v.)
this should cost very little (maybe 40 dollars ?) and this way you can test out compatibility with your pc plus you will learn how to install
a low latency usb audio interface. the "wrinkle" however is the covid situation currently. maybe you dont want to go out. i had my new interface shipped to me by courier from the recording store with the understanding i could return it in 30 days for a full refund. in summary be very
carefull.

best
oldmuso

Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Cathie.
(Please read my post before this one first.)
you might like to show your IT guy the following articles re optimising a pc for recording studio work.
these are from professionals. (also on gearspace.com are lots of threads on this subject or just use google.)
let me add also my own tips such as useing a processor that has a minimum rateing on cpubenchmark.net of 5000 BUT preferably a rateing of 10000 (eg i5 8400). also use pc's with solid state drives for recording.
(also if useing orchestral libs // big sample libs which you might want to get into later on cathie ssd's as well as oodles of ram in addition to a fast processor. google for more info.)
here are some optimisation links for your IT guy.
https://audient.com/tutorial/optimise-your-windows-pc-for-audio/
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=654005
see you tube for even more optimising tips. HTH//ymmv.
best
oldmuso
ps in the realband forum is a list of sound devices that
pg users find work well with pg products.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=635707&page=1

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 05/25/21 01:48 AM.

Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Cathie.
my reply.
1. feel free to ask any gear questions includeing IT questions. there are lots of pg users like myself well versed in both IT computer engineering as well as setting up a recording studio.

Hello! Sorry it took me so long to get back here--life got in my way. **rueful smile** Thank you, btw, for starting the thread on orchestra libraries. Some amazing info there!

My questions are pretty basic.

1.) Will an audio interface function like an external sound card? In my reading I saw one actually referred to as a sound card; if I buy an interface can I skip buying a second sound card? Or am I misunderstanding?

2.) Does the ASIO driver come with the interface, or are interfaces just ASIO-ready and I have to buy ASIO by itself? All I know about it is that my computer currently doesn't have it.

3.) Does the amount of RAM in my computer make much of a difference in the functionality of BIAB/RB or an audio interface? The computer guy has offered to remove the RAM from the broken computer and install it in this one, which would bump me from 8GB to 16. I'm inclined to do this on the general principle that more RAM is always better, but will there be other things which would have more of an impact on music? Would I, for instance, be better served to get the audio interface first and do the RAM later?

I'm slowly making my way through all the info you've recommended I read and watch. Thanks again so much for your help!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
1. It's easy to misunderstand the term "sound card" as functionality has changed over time.

Older Windows computers had no audio. The thought was they were considered "business" machines and a "business" machine didn't need audio. To add audio to a Windows computer you installed a "sound card". The "sound card" included connections for line-in, line-out, microphone and headphone. A sound card could also have a "gameport" with additional connections for MIDI IN, MIDI OUT and a joystick controller. Sound cards with a game port generally also had MIDI instrument sounds or patches.

As audio gained popularity Windows computers manufacturers started including or embedding audio functions into the computer motherboard. Motherboard audio systems generally have at least microphone and headphone connections. MIDI IN and MIDI OUT connections and MIDI patches were integrated into the operating system. The term, sound card, morphed into an alternative name for an audio interface.

My guess is you've seen or read people using the terms audio interface and sound card interchangeably.

2. Audio interface manufactures should develop and distribute ASIO drivers. ASIO drivers are normally hardware specific.

ASIO4ALL is a generic wrapper that cloaks another type of Windows driver, WDM, in an ASIO shell. In other words it's a trick. Sometimes the trick works pretty good but many times it don't.

Another driver term you'll come across is a manufacturer will state their product is "Windows Compliant" so a driver is not needed. That means the manufacturer is depending on the drivers Microsoft builds into Windows 10 to work with their product. Here again, sometimes that works but many times it don't. Also, all it takes is for Microsoft to change the built-in driver during an update and everything will go out of whack.

3. Band-in-a-Box and RealBand are said to depend more on CPU speed than RAM. An external audio interface doesn't use any RAM. Soft synths (Kontakt SampleTank, Halion, etc.), VSTs and VSTi and effects can require a lot of RAM.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Cathie.
all that jim said is spot on.
1.a low latency usb audio interface can be called various different names. the KEY is that word LATENCY. meaning roughly how long it takes a system to react after a user gives a command.
the reason why latency is important is lets take those orch libs your interested in.
when you press a key on a midi kbd you want to hear those brass sections or whatever in all their glory. and not hear them delayed. for example my own pc is ok with a latency of around 4 milliseconds.
i could get it lower but dont bother. the PROBLEM with some common pc's cathie is they dont have very powerfull processors so they get stressed when a user needs very low latency performance.
also a common retail pc is not optimised for studio work.
we often have to optimise it ourselves.
which is why i mentioned earlier why some big studios use high power pc's. problem is they start at 2k plus. such pc's can handle very high trak and plug in counts. and orch libs.
talking of orch libs. read on.
2. one PROBLEM with orch lib useage is they often need not only lots of ram but also powerfull expensive processors. some of these processors alone start at over 1k without any other components in a pc. way outside my puny budget.
some big studios use huge amounts of ram eg 64 gb etc etc and even computer farms. (think major film projects).
some use huge orch libs etc etc.
expensive processors speed up render times of audio and video.
in summary it can get very very expensive quickly.
in conclusion you might stress your pc even with 16 gb of ram. useing big libs needing oodles of ram.
so what do us poorer musicians DO ?
the SOLUTION cathie if one has a small budget and cant afford i9 or xeon or amd level threadripper processors is one chooses ones plug ins and orch libs carefully. and ensure our lower level pc's can handle the load and dont get stressed and exhibit hiccups.
in summary always look at the resource requirements of a particular orch lib or plug in before purchase/useage and run tests.
i ONLY USE plug ins that are low resource useage. and will do the same when i choose my orch libs.
because frankly i cant afford 4 or 5 k on a high power computer.
my wife and i like to eat lol !
3. now back to audio interface choice.
as i said cathie i would rent first to ensure the interface (plus condenser mic) works with your pc.
heres another MAJOR POINT. follow carefully installation
instructions. IN ADDITION after installing the drivers.
typically what i do is shut down the pc and then attach the condenser mic to the xlr input of the interface AND ensure i engage 48volt phantom power switch on the interface (on some interfaces you do this via on screen menu). THEN I BOOT UP COMPUTER. make sure mic level is at minimum before bootinng up. (some new interfaces have on
screen menu to set mic level).
but YMMV. be guided by the instructions of the interface and/or your music store. in non covid times i would suggest you get the music store your renting from to install and test the interface with condenser mic with your pc.

hth/ymmv.
oldmuso
ps re midi. there are loads of vids on you tube.
also loads of midi books. some local libraries carry books on digital audio/midi. but be safe cos of covid.
and good luck.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 05/31/21 03:44 AM.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Cathie, you have received some very important information thus far. I would like to add this to that. Carefully determine how many and what types on inputs you will need on an audio interface. I know you sing and that you play keyboards and if that is all you will be using then pick an audio interface that has both as well as ASIO native drivers.

As far as MIDI goes most all new MIDI keyboards and external sound sources use USB ports and not the old 5-pin ports. If you have or will get a unit with 5-pin ports then invest in a 5-pin to USB adapter. This eliminates the need of getting an audio interface that includes MIDI ports.

One last note, as previously indicated there are some very expensive and CPU and RAM intensive programs available. Most of us hobbyist don't invest in them. We use the much less expensive and not CPU or RAM intensive ones. They don't as good as the expensive ones but at least we can afford them. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
1. It's easy to misunderstand the term "sound card" as functionality has changed over time.
The term, sound card, morphed into an alternative name for an audio interface.

2. Audio interface manufactures should develop and distribute ASIO drivers. ASIO drivers are normally hardware specific.

ASIO4ALL is a generic wrapper .... "Windows Compliant" so a driver is not needed.... Also, all it takes is for Microsoft to change the built-in driver during an update and everything will go out of whack.

3. Band-in-a-Box and RealBand are said to depend more on CPU speed than RAM. An external audio interface doesn't use any RAM. Soft synths (Kontakt SampleTank, Halion, etc.), VSTs and VSTi and effects can require a lot of RAM.

Hi Jim! Thank you so very much, especially for the warning in point 2. I'll avoid products that use those terms. From what I understand, then, budget-wise for me the audio interface needs to come before the RAM expansion. Good to know.

1.a low latency usb audio interface can be called various different names. the KEY is that word LATENCY. meaning roughly how long it takes a system to react after a user gives a command.
for example my own pc is ok with a latency of around 4 milliseconds.
i could get it lower but dont bother. the PROBLEM with some common pc's cathie is they dont have very powerfull processors so they get stressed when a user needs very low latency performance.
2. one PROBLEM with orch lib useage is they often need not only lots of ram but also powerfull expensive processors.
3. be guided by the instructions of the interface and/or your music store. in non covid times i would suggest you get the music store your renting from to install and test the interface with condenser mic with your pc.

Hi oldmuso! Well now, since I like being able to eat also, libraries are currently not on my radar, just on my wishlist. I read a couple threads about Cakewalk and honestly, adding another DAW right now just seemed like another rabbit hole to fall down since I just don't know what I'm doing yet. My fingers are crossed this will be like learning to ride a bicycle and that the training wheels will come off and I'll suddenly just catch my balance... but sheesh, starting from scratch like I am is pretty tough. About point number 3, Kansas is open and I'm fully vaccinated. I hadn't thought about taking the computer with me to the Guitar Center and having them install the interface and microphone, but that's a pretty good idea--and I can wear a mask for added safety (still wear one when I go out anyway; cancer patients just don't take chances, yanno?). Now to figure out the budget and figure out when I can do that.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Carefully determine how many and what types on inputs you will need on an audio interface. I know you sing and that you play keyboards and if that is all you will be using then pick an audio interface that has both as well as ASIO native drivers.

As far as MIDI goes most all new MIDI keyboards and external sound sources use USB ports and not the old 5-pin ports. If you have or will get a unit with 5-pin ports then invest in a 5-pin to USB adapter. This eliminates the need of getting an audio interface that includes MIDI ports.

Thank you, Mario. I didn't know they even still make 5-pin ports! I'll watch out for that. Don't think I really need more than 2 inputs on the interface--but if I find something on sale with more than 2, I might grab it anyway.

And can I just say, your signature lines are cracking me up! Thanks for making me laugh.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Cathie
Don't think I really need more than 2 inputs on the interface--but if I find something on sale with more than 2, I might grab it anyway.

Howdy Cathie....

I'd highly recommend keeping the above in mind.
In this context, many starting out will say "I don't need more than 2 inputs".
But, I think it's prudent in the long run to exceed that 2 input perception if it's within one's budget.

I have kept up with your research quest.
And yes....getting to recording and setting up one's first recording studio, getting the DAW of choice (I've used C'walk since 1994 and I'm on X3) can't seem daunting.
It's a bottomless abyss of learning but has many rewards for those that stick with it.

Good luck on your quest.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,581
Posts734,680
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200