Page 1 of 2 1 2
#660472 06/14/21 02:59 PM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Hello forum friends. Have been tied up lately with kids graduations, swim meets, parties, and a bunch of stuff.......I though retirement would mean nothing but time. Oh well, it's still good stuff! This is a song that was inspired when my wife and I spent a night in Sausalito on the SF bay for our 35th anniversary. The SF bay and Sausalito are quite magical to me. My dad had 3 boats thorough my young life and the times spent there are among my fondest memories. My dad's ashes were dispersed there about a mile from the harbor where we had our anniversary dinner. The weather was perfect and the scene of the beautiful water with boats sailing by is something I wish I could relive on demand. The next morning, before we went to breakfast, a melody popped into my head. It is not terribly complex or beautiful but I found it meditative, and the lyric that came to me was "by the bay". Years pass, things evolve (or devolve, depending on your perspective), prices rise, restaurants change names, properties change title holders, but sometimes there's a place where your spirit lives, and nothing can change that. Sausalito is that place for me.
Did not use a lot of BIAB tracks on this, only Brent's beautiful guitar (If I ever make any money on music, I will owe him a royalty check), and the Vancouver piano RT, one of my faves, played through a Komplete piano plugin. After that long-winded intro, I hope you enjoy. Take care all and be well! Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/baybosespotf

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Greg,

This is another excellent song - two in one day!

Vocals - very tasty.

Song - nice chords and good swirly feel at the start with synths, tinkly piano and spartan drums.

Mix - excellent.

I think this song could be taken to another level by dropping the synths and piano after the first verses and chorus and inserting a stronger beat & rhythm section in the middle. Drop it all out after the short lead break, highlight the vocals and maybe just drums and then bring the swirly synths and piano back at the end. Please don't take this as criticism - the song is fine as it stands. But I can see even more potential here.

look forward to hearing more of your songs.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Fabulous song Greg, and yes, very sweet guitar - used very tastefully...

Chris
More of my music at: https://soundcloud.com/user-663569023
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg,

This song sounds like a sunrise... A beautiful melody and superbly sung.

Excellent in every way.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg

Lovely song. Very pretty and well constructed. Unsurprisingly the vocal was excellent and the song filled with appealing imagery.

Very very nice.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good to have you back, Greg. Simple melodies with complex memories make for a great song, and you made another great one here. Memories dance by in slow motion. It's one of those songs where everyone is invited to get lost in their own reverie. That's powerful, man.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
One of your best melodies, IMHO, I found it very engaging. And of course that great voice gets me every time. Fabulous!!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Greg, good to see you back with a new one!

Melody might not be complex to you but it sounds great to me wink

Mix mix, love that touch of delay you have on your vocal. And yeah, that Brent guitar track is as good as it gets.

Lovely song, very much enjoyed.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg,

What a great opening! That guitar is exquisite and setting it against the strings and the simple drum track is icing on that cake.

A beautiful song! There is Don Henley vibe to it (can't go wrong there!). Super vocal - love the processing...

Love the drum track, too!! Where is that from???

Terrific arrangement. Simple and effective. Nicely mixed. Cool ending.

You make music worth listening to. Many times...

fj

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I echo all the previous comments.

I'm a true believer that songs inspired my real life experiences and emotions always deliver the best results.

I've always been drawn to the water, lived on/off boats for over 30 years and that song painted a familiar image for me.

I love the simple structure.

Well written and performed.

moto

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lovely intro Greg. Guitar was excellent. Another awesome vocal. Loved the lyric. Well done...

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Lovely ballad. Great vocals. The recording is so clear. Great lyrics. I lived in the Bay area for a few years in the early eighties and my heart is still captivated by the place. I'll get back there one day.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg, another brilliant composition, so absolutely enjoyable, and your vocal delivery is always outstanding. The production instrumentation is simple but absolutely nothing is left wanting.

Additionally, anything related to Sausalito has a special place for me too. It is one of the most memorable locations I have ever visited in the States. I don't really know why, but it was just, well, memorable.

I recall you've written about it previously. Yes, it must be special.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
P9030073_s.JPG (206.29 KB, 56 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Years pass, things evolve (or devolve, depending on your perspective), prices rise, restaurants change names, properties change title holders, but sometimes there's a place where your spirit lives, and nothing can change that.

I know that feeling only too well, for better or worse. By a fountain, somewhere in Europe, being mine.

Beautiful, relaxing song which made me feel as if I was travelling in spirit to special, bygone days. Thank you so much for sharing it with us ... it's one of those that I want to listen to, again and again. The guitar is inspired - and your voice is that classic voice we've gotten accustomed to, time and time again from you. It's somehow even clearer here in the mix, to my ears at least.

All being said: congratulations. You are a master of the song genre. Bravo.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sumptuous piece. Love the opening instrumentation, which leads into the outstanding vocal and melody.

Great production. Great song.

You should make money off your music, but alas, like me, we don't write modern songs.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ditto to everything that has been said. All I can add is WOW what a fantastic vocal. Super instrumentation and an absolutely outstanding mix.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg, a nice melody and appropriate lyric.
The arrangement does no damage but it doesn't do much else either.
It's a bit too "filmic" for the song the vocal melody & narrative insist is there.
The guitar solo adds some earth but there's a need for more gravity.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
A very immersive song - sort of washes over you. Excellent on just about every level. Enjoyed my listen.

My music may not set the world on fire but if it causes a glow in just one person's heart, it has all been worthwhile smile
User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Greg,

This is another excellent song - two in one day!

Vocals - very tasty.

Song - nice chords and good swirly feel at the start with synths, tinkly piano and spartan drums.

Mix - excellent.

I think this song could be taken to another level by dropping the synths and piano after the first verses and chorus and inserting a stronger beat & rhythm section in the middle. Drop it all out after the short lead break, highlight the vocals and maybe just drums and then bring the swirly synths and piano back at the end. Please don't take this as criticism - the song is fine as it stands. But I can see even more potential here.

Thanks Nigel!!
look forward to hearing more of your songs.

Best Regards
Nigel

Thanks Nigel!! You know, I think you're right. If I were going to redo the arrangement, I would go heavier and more conventional in the middle and then draw it back to the sparse synth at the end. Really good suggestion! Appreciated!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Greg,

Lovely work! The vocal is the star for me . . . sits really nicely in the mix, just the right touch of reverb and delay. The synth gives this nice body. Pretty song to listen to. Well done!

My best to you,

Deej

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195