Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Gordon Scott #677372 10/11/21 10:18 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
That's great you got it playing.
It seems to be still quick under wine, I didn't go through it testing everything but the only issue I found so far was the wma files so when they add an internal decoder and stop bbw4 with the BBPlugin looking for Coyote it should be all good.

drm #677378 10/11/21 10:54 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
I start qjackctl & jack at login, then at present start qsynth/fluidsymth manually ... that already has the JJazzLab sound font loaded ... I have yet to try others. Then I start wine->bbw64 from the Linux menu. Thus far I've usually(?) had to set MIDI to connect to fluidsynth and audio to the pulseaudio jack-sink. Whether these are the best settings is another matter. RealTracks sound better than the synth, of course.

I tried Timbres of Heaven, but on the few instruments I've tried so far, the JJazzLab font sounds better to me.

It's annoying that I don't know what, exactly, made it spring into life :-(

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Gordon Scott #677398 10/11/21 01:26 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I just set VstSynthFont as default and that will load the JJazzLab font. I think I had to type the name in the soundfont browser in VstSynthFont as is was not showing the directories properly.

Pipeline #677465 10/12/21 04:32 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
I just set VstSynthFont as default and that will load the JJazzLab font. I think I had to type the name in the soundfont browser in VstSynthFont as is was not showing the directories properly.

That threw me for a short while. I had presumed that VSTSynthFont (and SynthFont1/2) were sound-fonts, like it kind-of says on the tin, but it isn't ... it's a sound-font player.

I found the same when I looked at TinySoundFont for something in which I wanted a very compact sound-font. It's not a sound-font.

"How absolute the knave is." :-D

drm #677493 10/12/21 08:05 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
I downloaded VSTSynthFont.

VSTSynthFont64.dll installed into bb/Data/lib64. I scanned for new VSTs, which found it but initially I failed to offer a default sound font and it failed to appear in BiaB, and would no longer be found. I opened it again via "scan in a specific directory" and selected the linux path /usr/local/lib/vst/VSTSynthFont/ where it found both the .dll and the default soundfont. I'm unsure whether the vst I see as a plugin is VSTSynthFont or a BiaB shim as it has the BiaB logo, but it does have VSTSynthFont in the top-right corner. I selected Options->Files & Folders->Add Folder and added the Linux /usr/share/sounds/ and its sf? subfolders. I was then able to select soundfonts from there. If found sf2 fonts, not sf3 fonts. I think it should find sfz fonts, but I've just added one and it has yet to find it.

I tried playing around in the mixer with BiaB's own plugins, but those plugins don't seem to work (no issue, I'll more likely use plugins in Reaper or those in my Ui24R. They appear to not match the .dll files above, so I guess they're handled elsewhere. I just thought I'd mention it in case you already know any suitable magic, to try to collect it all together in this thread.

Now I think about it, this should probably all go into the tips and tricks area.

Gordon Scott #677495 10/12/21 09:40 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
It normally uses C:\Windows\System32\drivers\gm.dls

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Ubuntu-VstSynthFont-working.png (320.08 KB, 150 downloads)
Pipeline #677663 10/13/21 07:46 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
It normally uses C:\Windows\System32\drivers\gm.dls

That may be an issue, then, as I'm still unable to install gm.dls

That said, I am now getting the other soundfonts in VSTSynthFont and my pop-up looks pretty much like yours.

I've just flagged the winetricks GM.DLS fail on the MX-Respins forum.

drm #677738 10/13/21 11:35 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Incidentally, I note that winetricks on my Linux offers wmp9, wmp10 and wmp11.
I'm wondering if any of those would/should install an appropriate wmp.dll suite.

IIRC, when I tried, I had that sha256sum mismatch, which looks like a problem on my installation. AVL-MXE holds back wine-staging to 6.2 to avoid some later new bugs, and I wonder if winetricks and wine-staging are out of step. Exploring.

Gordon Scott #677739 10/13/21 11:59 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
There are for 32bit Win

drm #677931 10/15/21 11:48 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
sha256sum mismatch error when trying to install GM.DLS...

I have yet to get an opportunity to try this, but, for information...

It does appear that there's some mix-up with winetricks and checksums and/or URLs.
This behaviour seems to be known about, but may not yet be fixed.
https://github.com/Winetricks/winetricks/issues/1752

There are also _example_ patches to the winetricks script:
https://github.com/Winetricks/winetrick ... 1b032cb631
https://github.com/Winetricks/winetrick ... 3086bbd8a1

Edit: Oh, that's helpful, the formatting has cropped the URLs to invalid :-(
These are complete, but need copt-and-pasting:

"https://github.com/Winetricks/winetricks/commit/b90e0c4e7cea9acc2c9e89bc4afe873086bbd8a1"
"https://github.com/Winetricks/winetricks/commit/9699aeafc12e0a928f6fd57f4d72f61b032cb631"

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 10/16/21 11:43 PM.

drm #678350 10/19/21 07:00 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Hmm, here's an oddity and I can't yet tell if it's something I hadn't previously noticed (I _think_ I'd have noticed), or if it's happened as a consequence of putting folder bb onto a USB drive and symbolically linking that to ~/.wine/drive_c/bb or if it's related to applying the 844 update.

My Browse styles with info opens normally with styles listed as I expect, but if I click the style-filter [clear] button or the style-filter [Refresh] button, whilst the [Name] column remains as it was, all the other columns get set to the same values as the line currently selected. If I click on one to select it, the other columns for that line get filled in (I presume correctly).

Also it appears that sometimes wen I go away from the window, e.g., when I'm writing this and cross-checking, the data for all columns gets restored. That appears to happen after I've stepped through a few selections.

Edit: When I say "go away", I mean that I'm switching workspaces in Linux. I use workspaces quite a lot, so I can separate, e.g., A music workspace from a software development workspace from a mail/web workspace.

Edit: Actually it is very quick to work around. Click an entry, click a different workspace, click back to the first workspace.

Edit: Build 844 on Windows8.1 does not seem to do that.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
StylePicker.jpeg (728.29 KB, 2 downloads)
StylePicker oddity
Last edited by Gordon Scott; 10/19/21 07:59 AM.

Gordon Scott #678376 10/19/21 10:25 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I remember having the issue at one time.
I had the RT RD Styles Soloists folders all symlinked to the external drive.

Pipeline #678397 10/19/21 11:55 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Maybe it's related to symlinks. They had crossed my mind as a risk, before I did it.

I did wonder whether to mount the drive there, rather than symlinking to it.

It's easy enough to try ... Tomorrow :-)

The other possibility is mounting it like a Windows drive, on X: or something. I still find it bizarre that Windows uses drive letter like MS-DOS did ... it's archaic :-D

Gordon Scott #678400 10/19/21 12:49 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
The database for the list would be in the \bb\Data in the wine install folder, so I don't think it's the symlinks, seems more like video, refresh issue ?

drm #678495 10/20/21 04:48 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
The whole of bb is via the symlink.

I decided to put the whole of bb on an ntfs filesystem of its own, so that I could, in principle at least, use the same drive/partition (presently USB3) under Windows10, without having to have and maintain two complete copies.

drm #678564 10/20/21 11:14 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Mounting the filesystem on /home/gordon/.wine/drive_c/bb makes no discernible difference.

Something else I noticed before and again in this set-up is that the BB splash takes quite a long time to appear. It's about five seconds before the outline appears, then the colour, then BB itself. That may be due to that still missing GM.DLS, but it may be that too many layers or OS activity via the USB drive is just too slow and something is timing out.

I think for the present I'll just shrug and do the workaround. At some stage, I'll likely get a new, larger, internal drive and put the whole lot onto that.

drm #678566 10/20/21 11:23 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
This is the error that stops the BiabVST working, I don't know if it's been fixed yet ?

BBPlugin-Ubuntu-Output-Coyote-Error.png (193.45 KB, 67 downloads)
drm #678573 10/21/21 12:16 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Hmm, I'm seeing different from that.

I added BiabVST as an instrument in Reaper, accepting the multiple-track suggestion.
I set up a standard 12-bar Blues, and using the default ZZJAZZ.STY, clicked the play button and it did.
But that's MIDI, of course, not RealTracks.

When I try to set a RealTrack via StylePicker, I first, again, get the error about the missing GM.DLS (it seems likely I'll have to jam a checksum and get that installed). I then get the "BiaB is not activated" and for the present I'm still saying No, whilst I'm experimenting. I then see the StylePicker and can select the _ELECTAM style you used, but at present that style does not get set into the VST.

I tried double-clicking that style in the StylePicker and, of course, it doesn't play, then after a short while I get the error as shown in my screenshot.

It's quite likely that the missing GM.DLS and/or the lack of activation are responsible for this. I'm quite tempted to get that new hard drive, set up again, fiddle-install GM.DLS and activate. I'm not sure how PG count activations ... this is actually only my second machine with BiaB, but it's already activated on it under Win10. Well, either way, I don't yet try to exceed three, but I may have to delete some and/or get PG to do so. I'll think about it. I can get a new drive by Saturday.

Edit: It occurs to me that the difference may be only how the particular host/applications handles the problem.

BiabVST-crash.jpeg (213.55 KB, 62 downloads)
Last edited by Gordon Scott; 10/21/21 11:31 PM.

drm #678596 10/21/21 04:18 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Incidentally, for anyone following this thread and trying similar things, I wrote a minimal python3 script to expand all .wma files below it to .wav files.
I'm sure it could be more efficient in execution, but it worked OK for me. It takes some time to expand an UltraPAK. Named expand-wma.py3, made executable, run by ./expand-wma.py3 I've added a .txt to enable upload.

Caveat Emptor.

expand-wma.py3.txt (900 Bytes, 0 downloads)

Gordon Scott #678631 10/21/21 08:31 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
To get the BBInput.txt and BBoutput.txt message above
put PreserveAllFiles.txt in the BBPlugin folder

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,481
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195