Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My first computer was a TI-99/4a. The OS was on a chip, but anything else ran on a cartridge t hat went into a slot that lasted about 2 years before it wore out and the contacts were worn out. There was also a slot for a 4 inch wide plug end that was connected to a cable we all called "the firehose" though it was a flat cable. That went to an expansion box where you could add more memory and other IDE slot based cards. Everybody and their uncle told me that the TI would NEVER run floppy discs. I experimented with controller cards, burning 2 of them out in the process before finding the right combination of connections that allow it to work with the TI. Then there was figuring out the right parsing to access the floppies. I had 2 DS/DD drives and I was the KING of the TI world. Of course the whole community was like "Can you make me one like that?" I declined. Let them learn on their own!

Remember in the early days of hard drives when we would get a 40 meg drive and say "I'll NEVER fill this drive up!" Now we have 128 GB in our cell phones.

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/15/21 05:08 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I went to an NT seminar and they gave out copies of Windows NT v.99, one before 1.0!! It came on like 37 3.5" floppies. And in true Micro$oft fashion, disc 29 had a bad byte and you couldn't install it because of that. It took many phone calls but they finally had enough complaints that they made a good copy of disc 29 and sent them out upon request.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
The first copy of BIAB I ever purchased came on 5.25" floppies and ran on MS-Dos.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What's a good model Mac to look at used? I can't really afford a new one. Also one caveat is if it is going to be my main computer it has to support 3 monitors. Here in the Casa del Eastside control room I run 3 monitors.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
According to its press, MSFT is phasing out MS Paint in favor of next-to-useless Paint 3D. I use Paint a lot for a number of things, including sheet music. I'll write a lead sheet in NCH Crescendo, export it to .jpg and from there on out,
it's Paint. Once you get used to it, you can even change the notes on the staffs with copy/paste. Nothing open-source really compares. Just my luck -- about the only use I have for MSFT is Paint and they quit it. Maybe the kids are making too many politically incorrect Memes for FB.
Spot the tweaks:
https://www.webdirectory21.com/hymn/its_good_to_be_home.htm

Last edited by edshaw; 06/16/21 04:30 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ed, if I were in your shoes I would purchase an inexpensive refurbished computer from TigerDirect, put Win 10 on it, then keep it off line. That way you could continue to use Paint. This of course assumes that MS does discontinue Paint.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: edshaw
I use Paint a lot for a number of things

Me too Ed. I like it's simplicity for grabbing and getting screenshots but M$FT has done this with other light utilities in the past. I had used Microsoft Photo Editor a lot before they wiped that one too.

P.S. - Backup C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe to a personal storage folder so you can just run off the executable when they do destroy it. Just did so on my machine.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
My first computer was a TI-99/4a.

Sweet Eddie! My first one was in a similar vein in the same time period......

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Untitled.jpg (275.59 KB, 121 downloads)

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ed Shaw, "discontinuing" means they won't support it. I doubt seriously they will forceably erase it from your computer. Windows 10 has both versions NOW. You may want to copy it and rename the to anything but "paint" so if they DO try to remove it there will be no program called paint for them to remove. Make it "Monet" or something you will remember. It MIGHTH take some registry editing as long as real mspaint is there.

Steve, my first DOS based computer was an IBM, model number I don't remember, but it was numbers, like 5150 or something. I paid almost 4 grand for a computer that compared to computers of 2021 was a real pile of manure. Slow, heavy... Ran Microsoft Basic that was on a ROM chip. Picture trying to run on wet Georgia red clay in your bare feet. That's how it ran. Launch a program and 45 seconds later it started populating the screen. Horrible. BUT, at the time, it was THE thing! That was like 1982 or so. 40 years of technology advancement later I am sitting in a room with a computer running an i5, with 3 27 inch monitors, and a 200 mbps internet connection, watching TV, playing music, WRITING music...

I truly love this stuff.

(And getting close to ready for an overnight road trip to somewhere near St Louis. I have to pick something up over that way.)

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/16/21 05:41 AM.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Mario.
i agree 100 percent. i love refurbished pc's.
if i can use an analogy. a new camry is 35k plus BUT a camry with only 70k on the clock ranges around 17k or so at some dealers with warranty. no brainer. still a new vehicle.

you can buy refurb i5/4570 or i7 systems now with one year warranties and win included (some with win 7) for coupla hundred buks.
eat paint like no tomorrow and many other apps.
OR if you want the basis for a great daw that will eat traks and plug ins (unless your running a zillion) with loads of ports that you can stuff ssd's in and loads of memory i love the off lease refurb hp z and lenovo desktop workstations that oroginally cost thousands and can be picked up for 600 buckies or so.
(god how i miss "get fuzzy bucky" lol. reminded me of my bossy cat lol.)
they come with dual xeons/ssd's/loads of ram/usb ports/internal expansion slots/win etc etc. and warranties. those workstations are beasts. i highly recommend testing one out.

refurbs forever ! lol.

oldmuso
miss my old atari for midi ? lol nah !

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/16/21 05:48 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: sslechta
<RANT>I think one reason I've had no issues with Win OSs is that since Windows NT/2000, I've put in my 40 hours a week in IT working in them. Most companies you work for in IT have their company standard OS which these days is usually the most recent Win version. So you don't have much choice other than to learn and work in the OS. With all those hours spent you definitely learn to get around the deficiencies to the point you no longer see them. That's why typically when M$FT releases a new Windows version, I jump on it right away for my home machines. I get excited to get those hours in and get sh%& figured out. Just another perspective.</RANT>

I hear you - I'm always eager to try out the new versions of Windows or macOS - although I never put them onto a production machine unless I need to! My studio computer is still running macOS High Sierra for that exact reason - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

What's a good model Mac to look at used? I can't really afford a new one. Also one caveat is if it is going to be my main computer it has to support 3 monitors. Here in the Casa del Eastside control room I run 3 monitors.

The 2009-2012 Mac Pro is probably your best bet. With the right video cards, you can have 16 monitors!

Originally Posted By: edshaw
According to its press, MSFT is phasing out MS Paint in favor of next-to-useless Paint 3D.

Dang! I use Paint for creating a lot of screenshots for tutorials or tech support here, it does exactly what I need it to do.

My first computer was a TI-99/4a.

Sweet Eddie! My first one was in a similar vein in the same time period......

Adjusted for inflation, that's just under $300. We've beaten that price point today with the Raspberry Pi, Android tablets, and Chromebooks/Chromeboxes - what an age we live in!

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think one reason I've had no issues with Win OSs is that since Windows NT/2000, I've put in my 40 hours a week in IT working in them. Most companies you work for in IT have their company standard OS which these days is usually the most recent Win version. So you don't have much choice other than to learn and work in the OS. With all those hours spent you definitely learn to get around the deficiencies to the point you no longer see them. That's why typically when M$FT releases a new Windows version, I jump on it right away for my home machines. I get excited to get those hours in and get sh%& figured out. Just another perspective.

I used to complain about that, but looking back, I made a BOATLOAD of money setting up "OS Next" on their computers. That early look at the "next" helped me get a head start. I did NOT appreciate that in the Windows 8 era they set the screen up so the pc, laptop, tablet and Windows phone all had the same user interface. THAT is what the "Take over the world" pic was about. I used to make house calls JUST to make Windows look like Windows and not a phone. I get the business model that if someone has that interface on their computer they might be motivated to buy a Windows phone. I just didn't appreciate it.

I was THRILLED about the Y2K hysteria!! I worked contracts for as high as $28 an hour doing data backups, imaging new computers with NT, and pulling the data back down. My pal Jason and I did a rollout at the battery place with the bunny and we built a little impromptu server farm to dump user data to. 4 PCs, named Dump1 2,3, and 4. I used 1 and 2, he used 3 and 4. We wrote batch files to scan the user's PC and find doc, jpg, gif, etc.. and dumped them to a dump server. Then when that finished we imaged the computer from the department specific CDs we made with images on them. We had the system down so well we each did 4 at a time in the morning and 4 at a time in the afternoon, so we did 80 PCs a week. The prep took all the time. Tweaking those images for the red hallway, the green hallway, etc... And the engineers... oy! Some of the software was not compatible with NT (one was called Manugistics) so we had to battle with the OEMs to get a patch ready, because everybody using Manugistics was going to have the problem.

28 bucks an hour and that lasted 9 months. (We stayed around 6 weeks after 2000 began to make sure everything was okay, catch the stragglers who may have been traveling and such.)

Good times. Retirement is better though. By a large margin.

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/16/21 09:13 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Cool story, thanks for the share....

My pal Jason and I did a rollout at the battery place with the bunny and we built a little impromptu server farm to dump user data to.

Cool, I worked at their HQ in St. Louis briefly in 2004.

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Cool, I worked at their HQ in St. Louis briefly in 2004.

I talked to the IT god there every Friday with the weekly tally. She LOVED us. Other than Manugistics that was one of the smoothest rollouts I ever did. Jason and I worked well together. Sat down over wings on day 1 and came up with the plan, presented it the morning of day 2, and the person we reported to said "Just do it." We always planned to start the afternoon backups at 11:30, JUST before lunch, so we could take 90 minutes for lunch. I still talk to that dude about once a month, 22 years later.

I asked him once "Did you ever marry that girl who would call you with every little bit of minutia in her life? Like calling YOU in tears because she didn't like her haircut? And you were like 'What do you want ME to do about it'?" He said "Yeah. Briefly." That was WAY too many levels of crazy for me!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
FWIW there are plenty of free replacements for Paint that are better (IMHO).

Photofiltre (spelling intended) is free for home use
Paint.NET (weird name and can take a bit of avoiding the ads to get to the actual free product, but is wonderful for the price). Supports Layers, Transparencies, etc.

One of our programmers showed me that one a while back.
I kissed Paint goodbye years ago.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Remember, if this doesn't work, it's YOUR fault...

Is there a place to find the download in, you know, English? Mine is en Francais...

I MAY be able to live with paint.net but at first blush those toolbars are like how the cavemen did it. I wanted to put in a white text box and I had to literally eye-dropper a piece of white to do it. And there is no cursor control that makes sense. If I type "hey rharv" and then want to change the color I can't select it with the mouse. How old is that program anyway

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/16/21 01:16 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Photofiltre in English is here -
http://www.photofiltre-studio.com/pf7-en.htm

I'm not saying they are the latest/greatest, but I doubt generic Paint could do any better.
That was my simple point. There are alternatives for no cost; losing 'Paint' really doesn't mean much to me.
I use Photofiltre most commonly (quick simple efficient). I don't remember the last time I opened Windows Paint.
To each his own.

You can get Photofiltre in a version that runs off USB .. put a thumb drive in any computer and run it without needing to install. I think its a pretty cool freebie.

As far as a white box for text, yeah, most decent imaging software will try to overlay text with a clear background as default. Logos, sliders on websites, etc.
Many times a white box is not preferable. At least in my experience.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
+++ Irfanview +++ includes a F12 "Paint" toolbar.

IrfanView is a fast, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10. It is designed to be simple for beginners and powerful for professionals. From the feature description:
Quote:
Paint option - to draw lines, circles, arrows, straighten image etc.

I've used this free program even longer than I've been a Band-in-a-Box user. It's that good.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This looks more "paint like" with the fill tool right on a toolbar and such. With the exception of Pro Tools, I don't want any software I have to go back to school to learn. (Which I did for Pro Tools.)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
+++ Irfanview +++ includes a F12 "Paint" toolbar.

IrfanView is a fast, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10. It is designed to be simple for beginners and powerful for professionals. From the feature description:
Quote:
Paint option - to draw lines, circles, arrows, straighten image etc.

I've used this free program even longer than I've been a Band-in-a-Box user. It's that good.

I am also a long time user of Irfanview. I only used it for audio and never messed with the picture side. You need to DL all of the Plug-ins to get to the photo side of Irfanview. HoweverIrfanview will not work with print screen. You must save the print screen to a picture prior to using it in Irfanview.

The free Monosnap is what I have been using.
https://monosnap.software.informer.com/

I can capture all or just part of a screen as well as adding arrows, text, etc.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,510
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195