Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Hey guys!! It's finally starting to work for me!!! Thank you! Woooohoooo!!!! Thank you for all your help!!!

The more I get something resembling a real song, the more technical questions I have, so I thought I would ask them in one thread and that way be able to find the answers again more easily as I work my way through things. Gratefully asking y'all for your opinions and advice again!

Occasionally someone posts about finding a specific style or song, and the Sea Shanty thread was a completely unexpected major help to me. Amazingly, I found the right style for my "rock song" when I typed in the name of one of the suggested styles! So thank you--I can't find the thread now now, was it VideoTrack or maybe MusicStudent who listed the styles? Anyway, thank you! "Rolling" in the style picker filter brought up "Dramatic Pop with Thump" and who knew that my rock song was actually drama pop?? Now my MIDI guitar part sounds right! ....although I am thinking that probably no real guitar player would ever turn the reverb all the way up and just leave it there for the whole song with no variation at all. But it got rid of that flat tinny sound from the MIDI!

So. Mario answered my biggest question today, "why won't the chord settings work?!" which believe me, had me hollering some less than nice words many times over the past few weeks. Seems that a frozen track will respond to bar settings but not chord settings. Made some major editing progress today, now that I know that!

I can see it would be really good to know where the shots and holds go before one finds the best generation and freezes it, and yes, I had to unfreeze and regenerate repeatedly today to get my song closer to finished. I'm thinking oldmuso answered that one for me in a different thread, suggested to someone that they use a simple piano track to get the song established before they went to the final style, so I'll try that on the next one.

I've decided to take Jim's advice pretty seriously and really learn BIAB before I buy anything new. It's hard for me to know what might be a bug and what's just operator error without knowing the program better.

And for pete's sake, 1.) where on earth did my Track View go? Am I remembering RB and thinking it's BIAB? Because there is no command or button I can find which shows me the tracks (waveforms?) anywhere.

I also need to know please, 2.) how does a person make a note longer in editable notation? I meant to change a quarter note to two eighth notes and missed, accidently clicked the 16th note line instead. It doesn't sound good enough to leave it but nothing I try makes it back into a quarter note. It's really heartening to know I can change my guitar part but less heartening if I can't fix my mistakes. I deleted the dotted eighth but I can't seem to edit the 16th to make it back into a quarter note (all thanks be for that reverb making the note sustain, lol).

3.) The =POPPLTS.STY says it has piano and drums, and the drum track is green, but there's nothing there--nothing at all! I click solo on the drums and don't even hear crickets chirping--nuthin. Is this a fluke, or the way it's supposed to be, or a bug? Am I supposed to find a RD track and insert it somehow? (BIAB 2021, Build 833, everything but the new PAK 11). I don't necessarily need drums but I do need to know if it's normal for tracks to be missing from a style!

4.) Since bar settings doesn't work on my Utility tracks, do I need to go to RB in order to mute the bridge on my MIDI bass part? I don't want to delete those bars because it's not a final decision--I might hate it!--but I can't figure out how else to deal with it. I've tried muting the MIDI altogether and turning the RT Bass back on and I think I like it for the bridge--like it more if I can figure out how to get pick up notes--but I don't want to do anything irreversible.

5.) How do I get a RT instrument to start playing on beat 3 or 4? Do I do that in chord settings? So far that's not working, even though I remembered to unfreeze the track and regenerate it.

6.) Shots--same chord for two bars, how do I get the instruments to come back in before the chord changes? I've tried just writing in the chord again in the second bar, but it doesn't work. (Again, I remembered to unfreeze and regenerate.)

7.) If I like the sound a lot and can't figure out what to mute, but I want a bigger build up at the end, should I consider adding instruments? I already have drums, a drum loop, a synth pad, a piano, a guitar and two basses. I still have to record vocals and two background vocals. How do you find instruments that match the style? In this case it's _DRMAPOP.STY

8.) Is there a way to "double" one of the tracks from the existing style? What do I do to make this happen? Where do I search?

Thank you thank you thank you for any answers you might be able to give me! I really appreciate that y'all haven't given up on me. Sooner or later there's going to be an actual song to listen to.

Love is always worth the risk.

HP laptop; Windows 10 Home 64 bit; core i5; 2.40 Ghz; 8 GB RAM; 256 GB hard drive; BIAB 2021 Build 835.
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Ha! I already found a work-around for #4. I wrote that bass part--I can write it again! So I'm currently writing a second version without the bridge and since I'm at it, without the second verse and with a lot of changes in the other verses. Going to import the MIDI, mute the first bass MIDI, and see if I like this one better. Got my fingers crossed it'll work okay with the RT bass on the choruses. Doesn't answer the question about changing a MIDI in the DAW but hey, it keeps me moving forward.

And yes, why yes, I **am** still working on this song at two in the morning... oops, lol...

HP laptop; Windows 10 Home 64 bit; core i5; 2.40 Ghz; 8 GB RAM; 256 GB hard drive; BIAB 2021 Build 835.
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
A METHOD OF BUILDING A SONG. PART 1
(to quote julie andrews in sound of music....
"lets start at the very beginning a very good place to start")
heres a few ideas. phases of a song.
1. lets say song is called nuttyrok.
create a new win folder called nuttyrok.
this is where everything bout the song goes.
2. open up bb. immediately save as song name eg NROK.
in nuttyrok folder after setting up tempo/key etc .
just in case.
3. select a simple style. load it in and enter all song chords.
i dont worry bout fancy at this point. just whack in the chords.
select style with just a drum beat and say a piano.
eg like a rehearsal. save as that NROK in nuttyrok folder.
4. now heres a little trick. close up bb. exit.
in nuttyrok folder right clik over NROK.
and copy file so now in nuttyrok folder you have a NROK copy plus original NROK. with copy right clik over it and RENAME TO STYLESTESTNROK. so now you have 2 bb files in nuttyrok folder. NROK AND STYLESTESTNROK. the latter will be used to run through loads of styles in stylepicker and see which fit best.
(a trick when saveing is to incorporate key + tempo in name. so if NROK is in F sharp and tempo is 123
then could name it NROKFS123.)
might be a good idea at this point to save NROK FOLDER to back up just in case.
5. now clik on STYLESTESTNROK and bb will open up.
and all chords entered will appear. now open stylepicker.
DO YOU NOTICE IN PICKER PLAY USEING CHORDSHEET ?
now hilite a style but change tempo to the NROK TEMPO you set originally. and PLAY. and style will play with YOUR CHORDS.
heres another tip. IF YOU LIKE IT SAVE IT.
but what do you save it as ?
you could save as NROKLIKE01 followed by RT id's if you wish.
rinse and repeat going through all the styles.
saveing your likes in NROK folder.
as your going through the styles make notes in a notebook of styles you like and instruments/RT's/midis/RD's etc etc and settings you like.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
ok now for an intermission.
i typically go through all styles plus or minus 50 bpm from my base bpm. so if my song is 140 bpm lets say i might go down to styles that are recommended around 90 bpm and up to 190 bpm just so i dont miss any neat vignettes/sound colours.
but i can hear people say wait a minute you might get artifacts.
yes i know. the idea is to get ideas at this point.
plus there are crafty ways to use artifacts. (via re dsp //plug ins and other tricks).
now i can hear people also say BUT BUT BUT your gonna end up with lots of bb likes files in that NROK folder.
YUP ! THATS THE IDEA.
SONGS ARE WORK IS MY REPLY . LOTS OF WORK.
GOTTA FIND THOSE NUGGETS !
i'll typically spend on a new song a few days going through styles/instruments etc. this way i dont miss the "nuggets".
anyway the bb files are very small in size.
thus in conclusion after haveing gone through all the styles (ok if you dont want the hassle just the styles for your genre for your song. but beware you might miss a nugget from another genre.)
do frequent back ups.

more next time.

best
need my breakfast oldmuso.
sorry the post wasnt text fancy. i'm limited on time.
pps good stuff charlie.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/06/21 02:04 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
1. "Because there is no command or button I can find which shows me the tracks (waveforms?) anywhere."

Yes, there's a button that displays the tracks waveforms. (In version 2021)

Select a track. Any Track.
Select the the Audio Editor Button and there's your waveform. (The Audio Editor is in the Views Tool Bar beside the Audio Chord Wizard just above Bar 1 of the Chord Sheet)
(In Older versions, simply move a track to the Audio Channel to view the waveform and you can edit the track while you're there if you need to do any editing. It's much faster than using RB or any other DAW.)

2. "how does a person make a note longer in editable notation?"
Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VnIIx3V4QY

3. The drums play in =POPPLTS.STY on my system. Should work on yours too.

4. "Since bar settings doesn't work on my Utility tracks, do I need to go to RB in order to mute the bridge on my MIDI bass part? "

No. Remember, the Audio Editor is your very powerful friend. wink You can silence (Mute) tracks better using the Audio Editor in BIAB faster than you can decide if you need to edit a track in RB. In fact, it will do a better job overall than muting using Bar Settings (F5) on a regular (Legacy) BIAB Channel. Since you've "decided to take Jim's advice pretty seriously and really learn BIAB before I buy anything new." Anytime you think you need to edit a track in RB, open the Audio Editor.

8.)"Is there a way to "double" one of the tracks from the existing style? What do I do to make this happen? Where do I search?"
Absolutely yes.... And, you can double one of the tracks using any RealTrack. And, both RealTracks can be on a single track. It's a great feature, RealTracks Medley Feature.

Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUZ-FOM6IYQ

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 06/06/21 10:17 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
A METHOD OF BUILDING A SONG. PART 2

1. how not to get lost in the stylepicker !
so ive saved lets say 30 styles with different names with my chords in that NROK folder. maybe time for a tea break lol or its bed time. now what ?
well what i do is not only save the latest style but also additionally save the latest as LATESTNROK.
i do this so that after my break i boot up LATESTNROK.
and lo and behold the style is hilited in the stylepicker so i know the point ive reached.
(easy peasy if one sticks to alpha order for the styles. by clicking on the style name heading. you can have other orders also eg tempo ascending or descending etc etc.)
2. now some people might decide to use searches in stylepicker eg even 8 , or rock or shuffle or whatever. just be aware you might miss a "nugget of gold". for example in a recent song i did i finessed a lead guitar break from a worship style into a nearly manic rok lead
break.
if i hadnt been going through all the styles in detail i might have missed it ! SO NUGGET LOST !
(as a comical aside my wife tells her girlfriends "sometimes you gotta date a lot of frogs to meet the right man" . lol. why the heck she picked this frog with my music madness beats me.)
given the foregoing its the SAME with songs.
GOTTA FIND THE NUGGETS. now frankly i'm not saying i'm any good, let me be clear ; but i try very very hard to do the best i can and its fun doing so.
so my advise is FIND THOSE NUGGETS.
FIND THOSE HOOKS !
3. ok so whats next ? youve been through all the styles.
jotted down in your notebook instruments you like/nuggets youve found etc etc. and youve built up 80 different files maybe in that NROK folder. (remember do back ups !)
whats next ?
4. TEST SINGING//TEST LYRICS.
what i find going through all the styles is that i get more lyric ideas also. so i write those down.
at this point i try to finalise the lyrics on paper.
next i take one of "NROK like" styles in the nuttyrok folder and export to stereo wav. which i would call eg nrokguidebeds. its just a guide stereo bb trak exported from bb.
(at this point let me say some people have a different method of doing things. eg all audio also in bb and i DONT wish to debate this ! and i do recognise the NEW utility traks feature.)
i'm just trying to keep it easy for new users to grasp.
(without getting into the bb plug in. and other complexities.)
then i import into my daw of choice (other people use all sorts of different daws) reaper or rb in my case.
i import into a trak labelled. BED GUIDE TRAK.
i make sure my daw is set up to save everything into the original nuttyrok folder i created in phase 1 at song beginning.
ENSURING THE DAW IS SET TO THE SAME BPM AS MY BB SONG.
in this case NROK. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT !
now i start testing out my lead and back up vocals on several different traks. playing back with bed guide nrokguidebeds etc.
and thus finessing the lyrics/makeing adjustments etc.
so i end up with both a stereo guide bed trak and guide mono vocal different test traks.
plus at this point for laughs i might futz around noodling on my instrument (in my case geetar) and haveing relaxed fun. or use my midi keyboard hooked to usb noodling along useing a vsti instrument plug in. trying to find nuggets of sound from the depths lol.
writing more ideas down in my notebook for the NROK song.

at this point i usually try and step back from the song and assess for the Nth time. is this song worthy ? where are the song hooks ? does it rock ? etc etc. or is it junk ? lol. does it crank me up ?
at this point i try also to assess the "style" of vocals for the song.
ie should they be like "all macho" lol or "sweet"
or "down n dirty" or "cute" or or or or etc etc.
i like experimenting also with different styles of back up vocs. what does the song need ?? is there any talking in the song ? by way of an intro or any "shouts" or other vocal nuances ? screams perhaps ? etc etc etc

more next time.

best
time for a cup of tea.
oldmuso

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/06/21 05:04 AM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
A METHOD OF BUILDING A SONG. PART 3.

1. lets summarise. at this point we have a bunch of potential styles, our vocs / lyric guides done and lined up with the stereo guide bed trak in the daw. ie lots of "ruff guides".
maybe have futzed around with some simple pg echo chorus plug in with lots of dry vs wet ? or some other reverb plug in on vocs.
a trick is to copy a vocal to a new track and insert a geetar amp plug on the new voc track ! << if you cant afford a "vintage" 2k mic pre try that.
BUT reduce the volume of the copied vocal track under the main vocal track. the idea is to give the trak an added dimension or personality.
another trick is to offset the copy from the original vocal track. for example in reaper i copy a clean voc track to a new trak then invoke one of reaps js amp plug ins on the copied trak and experiment with it together with eq volume level and offsets.
(note you tube computer music mag has lots of free fx and instrument plug ins if you want to add to your lib of plug ins. but try and stay away from cpu hogs. the pg plug ins are good this way. also i stay away from dongle security schemes. they drive me nuts.
for further info google free plug ins on the net and/or go to your main user forum for the daw you are useing where youll see topics pinned like "best free plug ins" and "best low latency sound devices". or simply ask on your user forum for your daw.)

2. now would be a good point to review your daw markers that segment the song. MAKE SURE DAW VERTICAL MARKERS MATCH BB SONG SEGMENTS.
ie match the bars. so daw and bb are in sync.
eg intro/verses/bridges/choruses/leads/outtro etc etc.
make sure your marker names make sense.
(read up in bb manual re "layers" etc. i use layers to type in the song segment name eg "chorus 2".)
before proceeding further i play back the song with vocs in the daw thinking bout such things as....
.how should i really start this song ?
maybe a simple bass line ? maybe a lonely geetar before the whole band crashes in whats needed to start song ?
.how should i end this song ? what instruments ? fade out or sudden ?
i suggest a listen to lots of old song hits and learn from the masters of song arrangement from the past.
at this point i also start thinking about any little fill ins //melody enhancements and i ask such questions as what soloist do i need ? or several soloists ? what about back up singers ?
can i use any added bb RT's ? like vocals or or or other RT's ?
WHAT DO I HEAR IN MY HEAD ?
WHAT IS MY SONG VISION ?
i often go "this song is driving me nuts" lol.
"i need a cuppa tea."
3. after the above steps its time to nail down the final vision of the song. take a rest maybe now and come back fresh to the song cos sometimes i get new ideas thinking bout a song after a day or so while working on another song idea.
(remember to save your work often and do back ups.)
finally if someone says (from my experience ) this piece of gear hardware or software will make your song an instant hit. be very sceptical. in my experience songs are a load of work. also ask yourself how hits were made in days of yore with a few traks and way less tech and no plug ins.
i would argue because of brilliant inventiveness both in the songs themselves and their hooks, the musicianship and the amazeing level of audio engineering.
frankly ive used loads of high end gear. its not a panacea
imho.
imho pg has provided all the tools to create great songs. just listen to the pg showcase sometime.
people on there way more talented than i am.
but i just gotta put in the work.
so dont think about magic gear. we have plenty of gear today.
if i fail and people hate a song of mine i just take my lumps and try and do better next time.
last bit of advice. do your best and thats all you can do.
and never beat yourself up. this is supposed to be FUN !
peace out.

time for a break. more to come.

best
oldmuso

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/06/21 07:57 AM.

Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
A METHOD OF BUILDING A SONG. PART 4.

1. the purpose of this 4 part series was purely to give someone new to song creation and/or pg products, a starting point for them to develope their own methods.
i simply cant cover every aspect of song production.
its vast. so i would refer the reader to lots of pg vids, the net, your local library and lots of books on the subject. as well as lots of you tube vids.
and i urge the reader to always step back often when they are creating a song and think about what makes millions of people around the world really "dig" one song over another. this is why i mention those "GOLDEN NUGGETS". frankly i just try and write songs that I LIKE.
otherwise i find i get into "paralysis by analysis" worrying about the rest of the world and fretting whether they might like or hate my song.
i DO know one thing. "know your audience".
a comical aside might give you pause for thought based on one past experience of mine as follows......
years ago i was singing in a no big deal rock band, and we were getting gigs here and there playing popular songs of the day.
i did it more for the fun/giggles of it, plus i had a day job.
(i just love singing. whether in a church or in a play or in a group or whatever. problem is as i age i cant get those very high registers as easily. lol)
at the same time i was hanging around with musicians who were way way more technically capable and theory oriented than i.
they knew every musical inversion/inside chord/flatted this and sharpened that. many, totally gifted players of their instruments.
we were always discussing music genres etc etc.
one day several of them complained to us..............
"how the hey do you guys get gigs with that silly simple chord rock stuff and pop you play ?" lol.
ie they always looked down on us. to which i replied.........
"people after a hard work day or week just want to go out and party and rock out and have fun". ie we were just giving people the "golden nuggets" they liked. so we got gigs.
to summarise "know your audience and what they want".
youll notice how i keep on referring to golden nuggets ?
2. ive purposely , up to this point, left things open ended. so you develope your own methods of work.
from now on there are lots of scenarios/ways you can proceed. eg:
.work more in the daw importing traks from your shortlist of bb styles from your stylepicker explorations and stored in the nuttyrok folder. maybe exploring what the bb plug in can do for you also.
.exporting your guide vocals as one mixed wav from daw and importing into various bb styles you have stored in the nuttyrok folder. eg a bb audio trak.
.exploring the extra utility traks if you have bb2021.
.importing into realband different styles from your shortlist in the nuttyrok folder and importing your guide vocals and genning more instrument traks. <<RB IS GRREAT FOR THIS AS YOU HAVE 48 TRAKS.
one thing i would strongly suggest is; if you have too many styles you like that you stored in that nuttyrok folder; as a result of your stylepicker explorations; you might want to cull the herd and make tough decisions as to which RT's/midis etc etc fit the song best.
what i do is create sometimes 2 folders in nuttyrok.
one called "best styles" with my top 10 styles and "b styles". ie 20 more that are possible candidates.
but at some point you will have to settle on your final style(s) you will need to use in the song.
(remember you can also switch styles in bb etc.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
well thats me done, and i hope the foregoing gives someone new a leg up and/or starting method to creating a song. as well as lots of ideas to think about.
DONT FORGET ; FIND THOSE GOLDEN NUGGETS irrespective of the song creation tools you use. also starting out dont spend lots of money because the way you view things will change over time as you get more experienced.

best
oldmuso
ps apologies if someone didnt like the foregoing.
i just do my best to help !

Songwriting
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
No apologies Mr. Muso. I enjoyed your series from start to finish and likely will eventually read through it several more times. Insights to how one thinks about a particular subject is why how-to books are written. Thanks for the time and effort you took.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
charlie.
thanks. respect to you.
oldmuso

Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
oldmuso, can I just hug you? That series is AMAZING. Thank you so much for the gift of your time and expertise. I learned a lot just on my first read and will take your advice immediately on making a copy of my song BEFORE I bring in any more MIDIs (and since I was writing a new bass part, I changed the guitar part too, so I have a couple to bring in). I have to go back and read your series through again but I already know I'm gonna find a LOT of terrific advice that I can use immediately.

Charlie, thank you for answering my questions and thank you for the links!

Wish me luck, guys, I'm headed back to it!

Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
3. The drums play in =POPPLTS.STY on my system. Should work on yours too.

This time when I opened it, the drums were yellow rather than green. I opened the Audio Edit window to see the track and it was completely empty. I wouldn't mind a piano only track, but it clearly says in the description that the drums are RD Jazz EV 16 played by Craig Scott. So is this something I report to PG staff in the chat window? It's the first time I've come across a style that's incomplete and I'm not sure how to handle it.

Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Cathie.
re =POPPLTS style.
if your seeing yellow for the drums and not green you probably have FORCE MIDI DRUMS ENABLED. thus the yellow. so untick force midi drums.
lets take it in steps. TRY THIS.
1. open up bb. clik NEW. ie brand new file.
2. in stylepicker select (via search bar) =POPPLTS
3. play the bb demo. do you hear piano and real drums ?
4. clik OK. so it loads the bb demo . key of Bm on my pc.
5. now youll see the chord sheet populated with the demo chords. and youll see green piano and drums.
6. NOW CHANGE THE CHORFD SHEET BY ENTERING YOUR CHORDS TO YOUR SONG PLUS YOUR TEMPO PLUS YOUR KEY etc.
THUS REPLACEING THE DEMO SONG WITH YOUR SONG. DOES THAT NOW WORK OK ?

best
dumb old muso dont know every inside advanced chord structure and extension / has to consult a chord dictionary cos he is a rocker lol.
PS CATHIE. when you come across something you dont understand. dont fret about it. try this.
google "biab how to do xyz"
where xyz is the issue at hand.
and you will see loads of results. for example i just
googled for you "how to make a song in biab".
and found one of joanne coopers (a biab guru long time user) vids on you tube. this will save you time .hth.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/08/21 03:31 AM.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I rarely work like that....

BUT.. if you do something that doesn't work.... and haven't gone too far... the sooner you realize you don't like something the better.... use the EDIT > UNDO to go back. I'm not sure, but I think it drops the edit list when you close the program so get it before you shut it down. Also.... if you've done a few other things before you catch the mistake and use the EDIT>UNDO you will have to redo the things after the mistake.

How to get it to start with pickup notes.... on 3.... Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Regenerate the track with the pickup or record it live.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
**gives Mr. Muso the side-eye** Those are some mad long-distance IT skills, there! When I opened BIAB and the stylepicker, POPPLTS played WITH drums. It hasn't done that before, not even the very first time I played it! I hadn't even changed anything yet!
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
if your seeing yellow for the drums and not green you probably have FORCE MIDI DRUMS ENABLED. thus the yellow. so untick force midi drums.

I didn't even know that existed...!!! Yes, it was checked and I have no clue how it got that way because I'd never so much as right clicked on a drum track before, but it's fixed now and it plays properly in the chord sheet.
6. NOW CHANGE THE CHORFD SHEET BY ENTERING YOUR CHORDS TO YOUR SONG PLUS YOUR TEMPO PLUS YOUR KEY etc.
THUS REPLACEING THE DEMO SONG WITH YOUR SONG. DOES THAT NOW WORK OK ?

I have every faith that it will--that's how I started the song I'm working on now, changed the demo chords.
dumb old muso dont know every inside advanced chord structure and extension / has to consult a chord dictionary cos he is a rocker lol.

You're not dumb. There's a big difference between book learning and a lifetime of skills and experience. If someone else has gone to the trouble to write all the chords down, why would you need to memorize them? You've got other things to do. **shrugs**

I'll try your Google tip. Joanne Cooper's videos--I came across a thread with one of them when I was still too new to understand what she was doing--I was in the book learning stage, don't you know--it'll probably make more sense to me now.

Thank you, Mr. Muso, for walking me through this process!!

Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
use the EDIT > UNDO to go back. I'm not sure, but I think it drops the edit list when you close the program so get it before you shut it down. Also.... if you've done a few other things before you catch the mistake and use the EDIT>UNDO you will have to redo the things after the mistake.

So there IS an undo!! Thank you!!

I keep telling myself, I just have to learn how BIAB thinks and I'll be okay, lol...

Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
So. I was so thrilled with my violin parts, my new piano and my new bass.... But now that I've brought them in, they're all playing like computer beeps. **facepalm** I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong; I chose appropriate patches and regenerated. BUT there was a yellow warning message on start-up (instead of the usual "this song is transposed" message) that disappeared before I could understand it. Can someone please tell me how to find out what it said? Those messages have to be stored somewhere, right?

Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Go to Menu item Help: Utilities: Choose "Display Log Text File of Yellow/Green Messages...

You will probably get a huge text file, every message, and action that BIAB has done shows up with a date and time code after it

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
The newest messages are at the top of the text file.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Thank you, Joe and Jim!!

Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
This is the error message: "Windows Audio Session error: Input and output sample rates must match. Audio input (recording) will be disabled. The error number is -9997" I can't find the place to set the sample rates.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195