#661742 06/24/21 02:33 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
When can we expect information on Windows 11 compatibility for biab/rb versions

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Veteran
Veteran
It's a good question, but I guess we have to wait until at least Microsoft release some beta builds.

Microsoft says that Windows 11 will be released by the holidays at the end of this year, but there will be beta access for Windows Insiders to various builds ahead of the final release starting next week.

I'm not sure if PG Music are involved in Beta testing of Windows. Besides, they'll be busy working through the BiaB issue fixes grin

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I get the notices for beta testing Windows, but I have not actively participated in a long time. I'm not in a rush now, either, since things seem to be stable. And a bigger worry than BIAB is that my 5-year old i7 CPU is not compatible.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Software always challenges the need for hardware to better perform which in turn allows software to be more demanding.

However, I doubt that they would consider a 5 year old i7 to be end-of-life. If they did, they would lose out big time, no question.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Well, they claimed windows 11 will be faster because it makes use of ressources in a more efficient way. So, even it would be more demanding because of added functions, this should be compensated by the efficiency. Just my guess (running a 5 year old i5).

“Musicians”: UltraPak 2024
DAW: StudioOne Pro 6.5
"Instruments": VSTs and REs
Notation: Notion 6
Interface: NI Komplete Audio 6
Mic: RØDE NT1-A
Controller: Panorama P6/KAWAI VPC1/Atom
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
It needs a security chip. I saw a tentative list of approved CPUs and mine did not make the list. The i7s started in the 8000 range and mine is 4700. I won’t publish the list because it’s tentative and things may change.

I’m sure there will be a test program available. It may be that mine will be able to upgrade but will be in the ‘not recommended’ class.

EDIT: There is already an app available to check this. https://download.microsoft.com/download/1/d/d/1dd9969b-bc9a-41bc-8455-bc657c939b47/WindowsPCHealthCheckSetup.msi

EDIT the EDIT: Microsoft has pulled this utility, so the link does not work now. See my earlier thread on this subject for an alternate test.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 07/08/21 12:39 PM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
I ran the test. My main system apparently doesn't comply because of the "trusted platform module". For everything else, it far exceeds every requirement (24Gb RAM etc).

Will I be the first to upgrade my computer (and all the issues with purchasing and installing layered products, development environments, purchasing other software upgrades that are required for Windows 11)? Absolutely not.

Microsoft's PC Health Check Program even recommended 5 local retailers in my area where I can Shop for a Windows 11 compatible PC.

They're clearly all in bed together and looking forward to a feeding frenzy. They should be disgusted. I for one won't be intimidated by such push marketing.

If that's their approach, then Windows 11 can wait a very long, long, long time.

P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
You can check if you have a TPM chip by hitting Windows Key+R and typing in tpm.msc. If you have one, you’ll see a window with its details.

More information
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-11-tpm-requirements-workaround/

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Thanks Mike! Yes, that’s the ‘security chip’ check I mentioned earlier. Thanks for the link to test just that. As Trevor said, this one requirement is going to disqualify a lot of otherwise fine hardware.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi guys It ran the check and it said it cannot find it tpm here we go again!!!

Last edited by F.M.M.; 06/25/21 05:26 AM.

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: pghboemike
You can check if you have a TPM chip by hitting Windows Key+R and typing in tpm.msc. If you have one, you’ll see a window with its details.

More information

Yes. And possibly that has been secretly seeded on computers in the background with all of the Windows 10 updates that have been surreptitiously applied in the past few months. If that's the case, then shame on you Microsoft, shame. It will be a long time before Windows 11 sees the light of day here.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
. . . that’s the ‘security chip’ check I mentioned earlier. Thanks for the link to test just that. As Trevor said, this one requirement is going to disqualify a lot of otherwise fine hardware.

TPM may need to be activated via the system BIOS. My 2018 system had it disabled via default. Only after activation my system passed the Windows 11 compatibility test.

Martin
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Not good.

My BIOS turned out to be 7 years old, not the 5 I thought since I assembled the computer parts five years ago. This TPM stuff has a few alternatives possible in the BIOS, but not for a motherboard as old as mine - the setting was nowhere to be found. I think Microsoft is going to be surprised how many machines fail their qualifications for Windows 11.

The Windows 11 Check app simply said my machine failed. No help at all to figure out why. If I hadn't read many articles already, I would have been quite put off. Actually, I'm still put off.

And since Microsoft does not sell much hardware anymore, I'm wondering what is in it for them to force all this purchase of new equipment. License royalties? The ease of not having to support old machines?

Veteran
Veteran
This is where they completely lost me, recommending where I can go to buy another system including stores in my own city.

Does Microsoft track where I am for marketing purposes? No, of course not. That would actually be impossible (well, wouldn't it?)

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2021-06-26_2-24-29.jpg (254.16 KB, 212 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
Check out "Windows 11 For Not-New Computers: TPM Compatibility Guide" -> https://youtu.be/taZTeXRvwFQ

Martin
Veteran
Veteran
I have disconnected all my computers from the internet except one Lap Top and my phones.

I don't currently know exactly how to have a computer connected and prevent all inbound traffic except something I want.

I see no current reason to move to Windows 11. I am beginning to see reasons to look further into other operating systems.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Expert
Expert
It is at the level of the BIOS of your PC that it is necessary to check the thing: it is a little different according to the manufacturers, but one often arrives there via the "CPU Configuration" at AMD or the "PCH-FW Configuration" at Intel.

Once the option is located, all you have to do is activate it, save the changes and restart the machine.

https://www.clubic.com/windows-os/actualite-376035-windows-11-et-tpm-2-0-comment-l-activer-pour-eviter-la-panique-.html

Biab Audiophile 2024 11.11, Win11
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff

More information

Great tip! Interesting that my Lenovo desktop from 2012 has one, though from further googling it only has a TPM version 1.2 not TPM 2.0, so like others I may need a newer machine even though this otherwise meets the specs. I also don't think this machine supports UEFI, so that'll exclude it for me as well.

I'll have to check my desktop at home, it's got a 4930K in it, and iirc the LGA2011 platform had more of this TPM and UEFI stuff than the LGA1155 platform.

As for when BIAB will support Windows 11, we have to actually get Windows 11 to test with. I don't know whether we have beta access or not for Windows, but as a tech support person I'm probably last in line to get it here.

Last edited by Simon - PG Music; 06/28/21 01:15 PM.

I work here
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
When can we expect information on Windows 11 compatibility for biab/rb versions

Windows is usually pretty good for backward compatibility and with it's Compatibility Mode you can run 95, XP.... apps.
Mac on the other hand is endlessly breaking apps with every release or update, though it is a great OS that I would rather use this is it's downfall for me (and developers having to re-code all the time another app for each version/update) it makes it impossible to use the older app you have when updating or upgrading, 32 bit apps have been banned by Apple but Win can run both, hope Win11 is the same.
I have been trying to get Biab/Plugin working on Linux and saw this:

Quote:
On Linux going back to an older Wine is usually not so much of an issue, but OSX tends to break its API with every release, making old Wine (and thus CrossOver) broken.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
Great tip! Interesting that my Lenovo desktop from 2012 has one, though from further googling it only has a TPM version 1.2 not TPM 2.0, so like others I may need a newer machine even though this otherwise meets the specs. I also don't think this machine supports UEFI, so that'll exclude it for me as well.

I agree, great tip.....

I had to activate it in BIOS on my laptop and my desktop already had it activated.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music

Simon, from what I've seen on my Dell machine, some BIOS and firmware updates are kind of integrated. You may be able to go to Lenovo and find more updated drivers that can get you closer to TPM 2.0.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
That tip about finding the setting in the BIOS only applies to motherboards manufactured around 2016 or after, since they follow Microsoft's guidance at that time (and which escaped notice at the time of its coming importance).

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,560
Posts734,424
Members38,492
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
VIPBET사설토토, GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE
38,491 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185