Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
How have you guys, in the aspect of you being the band's leader, handled replacing people who just aren't cutting it? Can you put friendships aside and do what the business side calls for? Whether it's because they don't care, don't make time to practice, or are just not good enough, sometimes people you have to make decisions involving people you are close to. How have you handled that in the past?

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The entertainment 'industry' has at least two "types":

A: Professionals working together to provide quality and professional entertainment services.
B: People who just 'entertain' and believe because they can play an instrument, they can essentially deliver whatever suits them in their own way.

I have worked with both.

I kept type A

Type B, no matter how hard it was, could not stay, and I had to let them go. To continue would have been disastrous. Some players lasted a few months, some much less.

At least one time, Type A, who was a very close friend and despite being a sensational drummer, seemed to lose interest. Professionalism needed to apply and I replaced him. That's part of the job also. Our friendship remained, but we didn't work together again.

Usually, type A lasts for years, (we still occasionally perform together).

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Professionalism needed to apply and I replaced him.

That's what I am asking about. Not THAT you replaced somebody, but HOW. My being an aggressive, assertive Type A personality, I would just say "You aren't good enough. Don't go on stage until you polish your game because you can't play. At all." Friend or no friend, I have to have A List players in any band I am in. The powers that be just have to be onboard and be able to separate personal from business. And in this case, they can't. They have been carrying dead weight, harmful players for years. And frankly, I am REALLY tired of it. It's just not my band to make the call on it.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Have you been reading any Dale Carnegie books lately Eddie? grin
I would've thought you could have delivered the required news fairly well.

I believe all you have to do is to be firm and assertive. It's not easy, but there's a job to do also.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You're fired. ...... This just isn't working out. Or in one case.... Man, you're too good to be playing in a country band in NC. You need to be with players who can show YOU something about the guitar. I've heard them all. And... I've used them all.

Other than that.... it was often a disaster trying to fire someone. Some were yelling matches and some ended up in fist fights, and some.... people just cried. It was rarely about talent. It was more about personalities. Often we overlook the personality when we're starting a band and just look at the talent so it was rare that we ended up with a non-talented player because they never made it past the auditions stage. The personality gets overlooked or hidden for the initial first few weeks after being hired. He's an arse, but so are we, kinda thing until suddenly, it IS a problem when he's standing on the B3 cussing out the audience for requesting a song halfway into the show.

Most of the bands and players I have been in have been fairly good players. With me, if someone is reasonably talented and is willing to work up the tunes, they are a better bet than someone who is exceptionally good but is a PITA to work with. One of the best bands I was in was a band where everyone in the band was considered a "B-list" musician to the "A-list" players in town". You'll do until we can get so and so from another band. We were decent, and like the kid who gets picked last to be on the team, we had more nights sitting at home than being on stage. Hence the reason we gravitated towards each other and started a band. We had been together in a band previously with some other folks.... and in the second incarnation, it was just the 3 of us. We went to a battle of the bands... a big event with 30 bands from all over the east coast. Good money offered for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. We had pulled into the staging area when we ran into a bunch of the "A-List" musicians from our town who were in a really tight, professional sounding band. They were there to compete. No joke.... they laughed at us to our faces.... "What are you guys doing here? Come to listen to a good band? We'll show you how it's done" It made us feel bad.... seriously. So we decided...screw it, we're not going to beat those guys so we're just going to have a good time and go home. At the end of the day..... the A-List guys didn't place in the top 6 finalists, but we did. Coulda knocked me over with a feather when we got the news that we made the finals. We ended up taking the first place prize and the venue owner approached us to open for a big regional name a few weeks later.

Yeah, it was business, but it was also a family and friends. So it wasn't exactly a matter of firing and hiring whenever someone did something. Work it out. We're a band, we're a family. And we're friends. The better bands I have been in have had a special spark that made it work when the original players were involved. In those bands, when someone was eventually fired or quit, that spark was gone and the band often broke up totally shortly thereafter.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
when someone was eventually fired or quit, that spark was gone and the band often broke up totally shortly thereafter.

Seen that more than once. One person leaves (whether asked to or not) and another follows .. half a band doesn't usually recover; might as well start over.
Which we've done many times.
Barry and I have had many bands together and the commonality is us.

We can work with many different musicians .. until we can't. Sometimes it means simply starting over.
And we do have ex-band members we still get along with socially just fine. If that ends the relationship as friends, it's on them. I can still be friends, and you can decide to get better at bass or drums or whatever so we can play again (or stop drinking at shows, or .. whatever)
My best friend and I have played together since the 70's. We also get along just fine when he decides he wants to do weekend bar gigs and I don't.
That stuff should not ruin a true friendship.
And a true friendship should not ruin a band.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Great story, Herb. Nothing makes me happier than an underdog story. Personally I just LOVE taking people down a rung. Even more when I can knock them off the ladder completely.

Our Motown band, Cruisin', was once booked on a double card with a competitor of ours, The Boulevard, calling it "Cruisin' the Boulevard." The owner booked that on a Sunday night that was THEIR rotating Sunday, and we were already salty about that. We sat down for a meeting and I had a list of condition for us to do it. I didn't want to do it because I didn't want to help him draw people on the standing gig night for a lesser band.

On the list was this.

They do 50 minutes. No more, no less. We do 90, and we will do 90 non-stop with no break.
I will give you a set list. They CANNOT do any song we will be doing.
Whatever you pay that 8 piece band for their 50 minutes, you pay our 5 piece band 1/2 again more than what you pay them. If they get $400 for their short set, we get $600 for our longer set. (They get $50 each, we get $100 each.)
You want a "both band jam" at the end of the night. I decline to participate in that. I refuse to play with the second team. I am a starter.

He initially balked, and I said "Then we don't do your show." I then explained that they were our competitor, and they were giving places lower prices than what we commanded, claiming "We play a lot of the same music", and I was not about to help them draw fans that are supposed to follow US around town from bar to bar.

So they did their show, there was a 20 minute break, then we came out and hit the crowd with Pick Up The Pieces, (because we had 2 sax players). After that we broke into a 35 minutes Motown medley that started with Temps, moved to Tops and ended with some Isley Brothers. Then a little Stevie Wonder which started with a bass solo during which I snuck off stage and changed from the casual tux garb to parachute pants, a vest with no shirt, an apple cap and a Cadillac hubcap on a piece of lamp chain as my gangsta medallion. The character was called Heavy E, one more than Heavy D, and my initial. I introduced the band doing the Cruisin' Rap, then went back off and changed as the guitar player did his solo, and came back to do Superstition. The end of the show was a 3 song Marvin Gaye medley that continued to reference the outro of "What's Goin' On" as we changed songs, ending with Sexual Healing. We blew that band right out of the building, and I was rarely happier than I was as we relaxed in the dressing room. So our leader asked if I would PLEASE do the 45 minute set with both bands, and I agreed but only on sax. We took his tenor and my alto up and joined their tenor (who was and still is VERY good) and their trumpet player and we ripped some TOP with them and some usual Motown stuff like Knock On Wood. When that was done we went back to our dressing room to change into "loadout" clothes that weren't soaked and 2 of them came over to our room and said "Man, you guys are REALLY good." They never really heard us because they were working when we were working. So we settled who the kings of the Motown party were that Sunday night. Our wedding business grew by about 40%, and they broke up within a year from that show.

Just like YOU cleaned their clocks! Great feeling, ain't it???

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/25/21 12:18 PM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Over the years, I was involved in three situations where we had to fire band members, Once because of physical ailments that affected her singing voice long after she joined the group, another time because of mental illness which we knew about before hand but were assured was in the past, and the third time because the guy would repeatedly get too drunk to play.

The first two firings were disasters. I explained to the singer that we were replacing her and that she was fantastic when she was well but that we had limped through three month of her trying to get well and that her reduced singing ability was costing us jobs. She spent the next several weeks calling my house and hanging up several times a day.

The second guy, I sat down with and explained the issues which all had to do with him not being able to put a filter on any of his behavior. It was no big surprise because we had been talking constantly about inappropriate things he was doing all of the time but he was one of these guys that had spent months in a mental hospital getting electo-shock therapy and was about as burned out as Cheech and Chong. He was fully aware of the problems he was creating and didn’t give me the least bit of grief. His mother on the other hand hit the ceiling. She called me up wanting to know why we had fired her son, which I patiently explained, but then I got a long lecture on being insensitive to the needs of the mentally ill, and how her son had a PhD in music and the whole band put together couldn’t match either his talent or musical knowledge, which was probably true.

I finally got smart with number 3. We all handed in our 2 week notice and quit, leaving him as the sole member of the band. Never heard a word from him again.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: KeithS
I finally got smart with number 3. We all handed in our 2 week notice and quit, leaving him as the sole member of the band. Never heard a word from him again.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Folks, If you decide to let go a band member please tell them! I was the unfortunate person approached by an ex-band member who ask me, "Has the band been playing anywhere? I haven't heard anything for a few months." Awkward for me!

...Deb

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Has anyone being let Go though, the other side of the coin?

smile

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Has anyone been let go though, the other side of the coin?

Yep! I was once told that I am too much of a perfectionist and the rest of the guys didn't care about things being THAT close to spec, so they let me go and went without a keyboard player. Right after that the kid phenom guitar player I brought in left and moved to Nashville. 2 weeks later the singer quit to go play in another band with his brother.

TWO YEARS LATER they have finally resurfaced with a bunch of local scrub players. I saw their demo video and watched with glee as they sucked badly on every song.

Parenthetically I ask, WHY do bands put singing LAST? I would SO rather recruit 4 people who can sing and then teach them instruments if they were not instrument players. There was a band here who did that and the were 18 months in the making but when they finally came out of the basement and started playing, man, the singing was incredible. I see band after band where everybody has a mic but nobody but the lead singer really sings, and harmony is non existent. And the excuse is always "The music we play doesn't really require harmony".

PS I would likely have left that band that fired me on my own soon after they fired me anyway. Music is to be revered and respected.

EDIT TO ADD:

Shockingly, it was NOT because of my brusque personality. As aggressive and borderline abusive as I got during rehearsals, they all understood that it was all aiming to make that band the best band it could be. A band, like a man, has to know it's limitations (props to Dirty Harry Callahan for that line). The drummer, who thought he was great and wanted to be musical director, was an awful drummer and will always be in bad bands because he stats songs too fast and then speeds up. I turned on a click track a few times and he was gone by the end of 8 bars.

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/26/21 04:01 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Did HE hear the click or just you?

Any drummer that can't play to a click really isn't a drummer. Never had a drummer in any of our bands that couldn't.
They never got that far.
Some drummers even brought their own click because they knew the importance of the tempo. Playing the song (any song) at the correct tempo is kinda important. Even more so if they are unfamiliar with the song (ie an original).

Drummers set list:
Song 1 - 132 BPM
Song 2 - 128 BPM
etc

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dangit dude, you just keep pulling them out of me
Kinda on topic;
http://bobandbarryshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Twelve2021.mp3
<we're special>
Not sure how much is Motown or how much is TOP .. and how much is just us

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
Did HE hear the click or just you?

It was through the PA. LOUDLY through the PA.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
Not sure how much is Motown or how much is TOP .. and how much is just us

I hear some Zappa in the arrangement too.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
probably .. we had fun like that

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I believe all you have to do is to be firm and assertive. It's not easy, but there's a job to do also.

Oh, as a former high school linebacker and hockey defenseman, firm and assertive is my wheelhouse!!! I didn't get this face because it's never been punched! I gravitated to sports where I wore helmets and masks for a reason. Man, that one game against Shaker Heights...

You hit ONE guy with a stick and everybody loses their mind... LOL!!

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Red Green: Keep your stick on the ice

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie, we've been working together for ten years now and I'm quite happy with your "direct" approach because it's always constructive.
If you tell me a guitar part isn't right, them I'm happy to do it again until it IS right. The same with the mixes I've done for you.
At the same time, you're never offended if I ask you to re-sing a note that was flat (really?), so it works both ways. This is possibly
why we still talk most weeks. That and soccer.

If you need to sack someone there's no nice way, so just do it. If you lose a friend, then they probably weren't worth your friendship.
If the band is going to be professional, then all the players need to be professional - end of story.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,670
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200