Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Birchwood,

Beautiful arrangement on a series of well chosen chords. There is rhythm. Your voice is well integrated and the guitar solo is excellent. Well done. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,

I think this is my favorite of all the tunes of yours! The groove you created with those realtracks is some of the best work I've heard with them! The song is so catchy and has such a great energy that it just compels the listener to stay with it all the way through! Kind of reminds me of something Phil Collins would have done back in the day! Your vocal is outstanding! All the instruments "pop" and the solo is perfectly placed with the right sound! The little guitar chops at the end was an inspired choice! Much applause here for some very nice work! Thanks, Torrey

Last edited by Torrey Bliss; 07/10/21 01:26 PM.

User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
Hello, 'Birchwood'...

"It is about me dealing with the here and now as a way of living." Well, you certainly made that clear in your lyrics, and also in your vocal recording, which was powerful and sounded as though you were urgently relating to us some kind of a revelation that you have experienced in your personal life.

The BADMAN.STY (Bad Man Country Blues Attitude) possessed a driving sound that matched the liberating feel of your lyrics. As you said in the text of your post, "I think it was the name of the style that drew me to it." It's amazing where we get our musical inspiration from, isn't it?

Through this song, I feel like you shared something with me smile.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I need to feel happy
Much better for my brains - can I relate to that after the year we've had here. Great job. That rock vibe you created really drew me in. Keep em coming.
Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Dave, David, Ghostgum and Tangmo,

How nice of you to come with these nice comments of you. It underlines a growing feeling in me the song wasn't that bad! But is it my best song ever. I don't think so. That song will have to come one day. But this song is one the path to that one. And all that with your nice support. I will answer your post individually under these words:

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Man, your music just keeps getting better and better! I wouldn't change a thing, really well done, Hans smile

Dave, loud and clear! Thanks, man.

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Hans, this has a really great mix. Loved it. Super job on this man. Excellent guitar tones.

David, also loud and clear. Thanks too!

Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
This song has plenty of drive and energy without being frenetic. Although this is a genre I rarely listen to, it kept me engaged from start to finish. A sagacious choice is instruments used to great effect and, as FJ said, probably one of your best and certainly worth the effort you put into it.

Ghostgum, I appreciate you took a listen to a song in a genre you don't really like. Why did you do it then? but about your comment, I try to avoid being frenetic by singing a bit slow, not many words in one line, things like that. I learned from Robert to avoid unnecessary words. My problem was how to get clear lyrics on a difficult topic within 4 minutes. I don't think I succeeded, but I did on the song according to you. Thanks for that!

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
DANG! First off, wonderfully put together. If you did all those rhythmic changes in BiaB, you need to teach. This grooved just great when it grooved, but it went several notches up with all those groove changes.

Speaking of Rhythm, the voice was really in the pocket as well. Your hi-eq'ed growl is probably my favorite around these parts. There were a few moments when the bass (or low toms?) stomped on it more than I might have expected, but all-in-all the power of this thing pumped out that theme of defiant optimism. A real fist pumper that I can feel clean through me. Outstanding.

Tangmo, you put a lot of effort in your answer to me. Thanks! The word that caught my eye for some time was 'DANG'. Then the word(s) groove and of course what might went wrong with the bass or bassdrum. I think I stay with DANG :-). No, I'm really glad with your reaction and the nice compliments. I hope more people will listen to it. I didn't hear the 'anoying' bass sound though.

So thanks everyone and watch out with Delta!
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Scott, Ray, Marty, Mario and Misha,

I'm happy you listened and commented this river. All in his own way (no 'her' around here now) and very pleasantly written. Thanks for that in the first place. What I liked most in all the comments you gave was that I got the feeling my mixings are gettig better, so I am on the right track on this issue. And that is something because all of you are at least experts, but mostly veterans. So, there you go!
And the nice part is I listen to you all. But not always follow wise advise...
I react to all of you individually in this post.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very very cool Hans. Love the groove in this song. Kick drum really drives the song. Super vocal and lyric. Piano was excellent. Well done. Guitar solo was excellent as well.

Scott, I'm very happy you are so positive on the song, even on the guitar solo. I expected you would offer your services on that part to get decent solo's instead of these tries.

Originally Posted By: rayc
That baritone, (I think) sounds almost like a clavinet which is cool and matches the funky almost reggae feel.
Strong vocals again...could be time to reduce some of the FX that surround it. COOL one.

Ray, I don't use much fx. With recordings of the vocals I use a mike amplifier with some plate voltage and a high/low leveler. After the recording I use some eq, a compressor and a reverb from Native Instruments. No programs like Nectar 3. In this song I used Vocalign for outligning of the bg vocals with the leadvocal, instead of Melodyne. The use of reverb is far less than I did before.
I even did a song without reverb, but that became dull.
What kind of fx you think I'm using? I am very curious on this issue. But thanks a lot for the nice words.

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Yes, you are the perfect match for the Badman Style. What a great band, and, yes, I'm familiar a bit with ska. This is a very catchy song, and so well delivered, Hans. The is so much emotion in that river, and you flood it to the banks. A really good write.

Marty, I was mistaken with that Bad Man style. I thought it was Batman (the one from Gotham city). So I liked the idea using his style. Later on I saw I was wrong, because Bluage mentioned it in his post to me. I still have to answer him, but he tought I had a message for you all. Of course I have, but a bit differently. I fantasize a lot in my lyrics....
And that river IS emotion ;-)

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Hans, this is your best to date IMHO. Fantastic vocal! Great instrumentation and mix.
I loved this one.

Mario, it feels good to read your post. Short, to the point and fiited in one big compliment. Like that, thanks!

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Hans,
Two spins later. Composition is one of your best for sure. I would put it in upper 5 tunes I have heard by you. Excellent groove / brakes and phrasing on this. Very mature tune. However, while I like vocals on it (the way you sing) I think they are a bit "under". I have a very neutral AKG headphones, they do not enhance bass and usually your vocals are on higher EQ spectrum, except for the previous tune I have heard that you recorded, which had very a balanced mix. I think fuzz guitar and kick drum is fighting with your vocals. Maybe somebody with better ears can explain better. I any case, VERY enjoyable listen. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

Misha, it's good to hear from you after that little break of yours (by the way, a good song you made there!). As I am used from you, you listen very intense on the vocals. I was thinking what you said about the battle between the vocals, guitar and kick on the hertz-es.
I think you are right on that, although I don't hear it. I only hear the vocals could be mixed a bit brighter, but I still don't no how. And... I use the same headphones as you with mixing. Thanks for your documented cue and compliments!

I hope I answered your comments correctly, otherwise let me know.
Have a nice day,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well done. Great arrangement. Lyrics are well written and a lesson worth remembering. Nice mix. I really like whatever effects you used on the chorus vocals. The band was hot!

Good one.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Derochette, Torrey, Blueage, Josie and Jptjptjpt,

Thanks for your nice posts on The River. I appreciated them all. I will answer you separately below.

Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Birchwood,
Beautiful arrangement on a series of well chosen chords. There is rhythm. Your voice is well integrated and the guitar solo is excellent. Well done. I appreciated.
Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Derochette, even though we make a different kind of music, we still listen to each other's songs. Thats very nice, don't you think?
I'm glad you liked the way the song is composed and my vocals in it. Thanks for listening. the next song will be more different.

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Hans,
I think this is my favorite of all the tunes of yours! The groove you created with those realtracks is some of the best work I've heard with them! The song is so catchy and has such a great energy that it just compels the listener to stay with it all the way through! Kind of reminds me of something Phil Collins would have done back in the day! Your vocal is outstanding! All the instruments "pop" and the solo is perfectly placed with the right sound! The little guitar chops at the end was an inspired choice! Much applause here for some very nice work! Thanks, Torrey

Torrey, of course I am disappointed this is your favorite of my songs, but on the other hand I'm very happy you have a favorite one from me (a bit kidding). Thanks for your nice compliments, especially that association with Phil Collins. I think he will agree ;-)

Originally Posted By: bluage
Hello, 'Birchwood'...
"It is about me dealing with the here and now as a way of living." Well, you certainly made that clear in your lyrics, and also in your vocal recording, which was powerful and sounded as though you were urgently relating to us some kind of a revelation that you have experienced in your personal life.

The BADMAN.STY (Bad Man Country Blues Attitude) possessed a driving sound that matched the liberating feel of your lyrics. As you said in the text of your post, "I think it was the name of the style that drew me to it." It's amazing where we get our musical inspiration from, isn't it?
Through this song, I feel like you shared something with me smile.

Bluage, thanks for your wonderful reply.! I am really happy with it! But to start with that Bad Man style; I was mistaken. I thought it was a Batman style, that crimefighter in a certain style. I thought that was funny and that's why I chose that style. But still you're right that it's amazing from where we pick our inspiration. And that is also the case in this song, or lyrics. I didn't have any revelation or something like that. I always think it's not smart to leave out the past. I had some serious discussions with people who strongly believe(d) that the past has no use for their lives. In this song I pretended to be one of them: So I was the one getting those problems I mentioned (the river of emotions, build up from the past and that I never cared for, and not having any friends left). Then I changed my livestyle and 'finally used my brains'.
So, in a way you are also right; it was meant as a revelation, but not to me, but hopefully others will become aware that the past is very relevant to our future. On the other hand, it's also a nice song.

Originally Posted By: Sundance
I need to feel happy
Much better for my brains - can I relate to that after the year we've had here. Great job. That rock vibe you created really drew me in. Keep em coming.
Josie

Josie, I believe this is the first time I received a post from you. Thanks for that! I feel honored.
And thinking about your last song on this forum, I can imagine you can use more happyness these times. I hope you are a catlover, because my next song will be about a cat. There is happyness in it too!

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Well done. Great arrangement. Lyrics are well written and a lesson worth remembering. Nice mix. I really like whatever effects you used on the chorus vocals. The band was hot!
Good one.

Jptjptjpt, thanks for the compliments and your 'support' on the fx discussion.
I feel empowered!

Thanks everyone for discussing or complimenting my song.
I heard that my country will turn deep red again tomorrow because of the Covid variant Delta. I sure hope this won't be the case for your countries, but stay safe!
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans

Your song deserves all the praise it's received. Really infectious groove and well composed.

Excellent work all round.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Peter,

I hope it does, but thanks a lot for your nice comments on it.

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Cool song Hans!! You really have a John Lennon vibe in the vocal.......always a good thing in my book!! The music stays interesting throughout. Very nicely done!! Take care. Greg

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195