Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow, that will put a dent in custom DAW PC builders business !

https://www.reviewgeek.com/91503/newegg-now-builds-and-delivers-custom-pcs/

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, absolutely. I’ve built all my computers since 1983 but this looks very attractive.

And I’m a big fan of NewEgg, with one exception: they have increased considerably the use of third-party suppliers, including many from China with long delivery times. I try to buy only when it comes from NewEgg.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The $99 build price is OK I guess. That would require buying everything from them.

For me I don't see any great advantage. The last i9 build took less than two hours. I bought parts from them and two other vendors. They are not likely to set up windows the way you want it.

The time is installing all the software programs.

I like NewEgg OK but their delivery time is pretty slow at times. They generally have better prices and selection than many other places. We don't have Micro Center or other large stores here in Miami.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I used Fry's because there was one just a few miles from me in LA until they went under last year. After I retired and bought a house 125 miles away I bought all the components from Fry's for my new business desktop. Long story short I went through 3 bad brand new mobo's and yes I know all about checking the packaging to make sure they were not simply restocked.

The third time I took them up on their $85 offer to put it together while I waited. This was a two week process because I had to wait until I needed to drive into LA again and swapped mobo's and then back home discover that one was also bad. Their tech went through another bad mobo and he said they had no more left so he used a very similar gaming version which cost me an extra twenty bucks but was good.

After talking at length to the tech who did the assembly he said this happens all the time as in ALL THE TIME. The QC coming out of China has gotten much worse over the last few years. No way will I be ordering parts online, spend a couple hours putting it all together and all I get are boot errors when I'm sitting here in the boonies with no one to yell at.

Thanks for posting this, I'll be using NewEgg and be happy to pay them $95 because that makes all the bad new parts their problem and yeah, I can see that can increase the delivery time. As it was it took me pretty much all day at Fry's because first the tech tested the mobo I returned to verity it was bad which it was, then he discovered the last one they had left was also bad before he used the gaming one.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob,

Any new part from anyone can fail and does so more often then we would like. The delivery time on a new system from NewEgg could be pretty fast if they have all the parts in stock.

The only failures I have ever had was because of bad motherboards.

It could be worth the $99 dollars just to not have to deal with that issue.

I have several computers so I am not often in any hurry to build a new one.

All my high end machines work great except for the Microsoft intrusive issues. The last Lap Top, an HP at about $1200 was a piece of crap until I installed a SSD and a new operating system.

I always use https://pcpartpicker.com/ to look for the best prices and what is compatible.

By the way...living in the boonies is no excuse for not raising hell with venders...lol

Billy

Our office computer that we run Quick Books on has a backup machine ready to go and can be changed over in less than 10 min.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
To illustrate how important security has become for MS, I just saw this:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/12/microsoft-acquires-riskiq-a-security-software-provider.html

Win 10 was a huge upgrade regarding security and no doubt Win 11 will be the same with the proper chips. Initial testing is showing it's already faster than Win 10 and 10 is faster than 7. Edge is now basically Chrome because of security.

Any one individual user won't make any difference but the whole worldwide ecosystem of Windows machines needs to tighten up in order to stop or at least slow down these huge government sponsored hacker farms in Russia, China, India, N. Korea and all the other wonderful places they like to congregate in. And as a country we need to start busting some chops over this, I hope Biden is doing that.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Many years ago, when I took a day job as a CATV field engineer, we burned everything on a test desk for 48 hours or more if we had the time.

Occasionally, components would fail in the burn-in period. If they made it through the burn in, they would go out in the field and be installed on a utility pole or ground level locker.

It just seems that every once in a while a resistor, capacitor, coil, or IC would fail during the break in period. If it made it through that, it was probably reliable.

Much easier to replace something before it hangs on a utility pole 18 feet in the air.

So when building your own PC, I suspect there will be an occasional failure of components. It just comes with the territory.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I was pretty excited about the possibility of getting New Egg to assemble my newest PC so I sat down and wrote out each individual component that I wanted. Considering that I’m at an age where this may well be my last built from scratch PC, I designed a beast and went to New Egg to place my order, but that was when reality set in. To be fair, New Egg said in their announcement that all components might not be available but that is not the half of what the issues are. Okay, I was willing to step down to a GPU that was inferior to the one on my wish list, but to rub salt in the wound New Egg places limits on the number of items you can order depending I guess NOT on how many they have in stock, but the scarcity on the market. I not only was limited to one GPU but was limited to 2 RAM sticks even though the Motherboard I was ordering could hold 8. Ditto with the SSD I wanted to order 3 of, one to a customer, and the HDDs: I wanted 4 AND THE limit was 2. Bought what I could from New Egg and between Amazon and a few other websites ordered everything I needed and assembled it myself. I guess at least I saved $99.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And, if you were going to spend the money with them anyway, nothing is stopping you from buying and building it yourself if you choose to, right?

What you described sounded like that once in a lifetime deal on a muffler for $9.99, and when you get there with a vanilla make and model car, somehow that $9.99 special doesn't fit your car. Talk about bait and switch!

Last edited by eddie1261; 07/16/21 01:58 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
And, if you were going to spend the money with them anyway, nothing is stopping you from buying and building it yourself if you choose to, right?

Right; however, their purchasing limits are across the board for many of their items; not just specific to their build offers. So if they say one Nvidia GPU to a customer that means ONE to a customer whether you are building it yourself or asking them to build it for you. The interesting thing is that the other companies that I went to placed no such purchasing limits on the things that I ordered. In fact, I actually got a discount at one place for making multiple orders of an item.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Oh man. That's an awful business practice! I have never heard of anybody saying "We will only sell you LESS products and take LESS of your money." I haven't looked to them for anything in years so I'll take your word for it. But that's a true "wow" moment to hear that.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you order a motherboard, two sticks of RAM, a CPU, a GPU, and one SSD and they make that work, then adding anything else is a snap.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
If you order a motherboard, two sticks of RAM, a CPU, a GPU, and one SSD and they make that work, then adding anything else is a snap.

You are absolutely right Matt, but I couldn’t even get them to sell me the GPU that I wanted. They were only willing to give me a step-down from the one I wanted to order. By the time I got finished arguing over purchasing limits and being told that the GPU that I wanted was overkill and the ONE that they had was more than what I needed, it left such a bad taste in my mouth that I decided to go somewhere where they thought the customer is right. They didn’t even bother to find out that I do video rendering and needed exactly what I was asking for.

I just went to New Egg’s website to link to the things that they limited my purchases on and this evening, not a single one of those things is limited. Go figure.

Ah, I at least found a mention of the overall policy, although this isn’t exactly what I was told over the phone: New Egg Customer limits

Last edited by KeithS; 07/16/21 08:11 PM.

Keith
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Keith, thanks for sharing your experience with this.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I just remembered, New Egg is not what I remembered from a few years ago, some Chinese company bought them out.

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, in my earlier post I talked about the problem I have with their third party suppliers. So far, parts directly from them have been fine for me. Hope that continues. Just read carefully who ships the part you want.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
So far, parts directly from them have been fine for me. Hope that continues.

Even if they SHIP it it's not like they are building the motherboards. They will always come from SOME supplier. And most often they are shadow companies who all use Chinese suppliers.

People who order guitar parts see this almost 100% of the time. This pickguard situation i have been dealing with was a great example. I searched and searched and finally found the vendor to buy pickguards for my Telecaser and Jazzmaster. The differences were slight price variations and some offered free shipping. Both of them arrived in Allparts packaging. So why not just buy from Allparts? And even then, Allparts doesn't make the pickguards.

Anybody who has read The World Is Flat (THE best book I ever read!) understands the twisted tunnels of the economy and supply chain anymore. You buy from Bob who buys from Joe who buys from Fred who buys from Mike. You have no direct path to Mike though. And everything you buy is made in countries where people are grateful to have a job where they work for 4 bucks a day and a bag of rice.

I had one guy go on and on about how he only buys items made in the USA. My reply was "Really? So you were there to SEE it built in the USA? Is it not possible the people selling it to you were, um, what's that word, LYING to you to get your dollar? I believe that if you track the origin of anything you buy it will land in a foreign country. Nobody is going to pay an employee 20 bucks an hour when they can get the same thing done for 2 in Indonesia."

Economics has made cheap foreign labor popular and technology has made it possible. Customer support is absolutely dead anymore. You get people in India, Costa Rica and the Philippines who can barely speak English and can only read phonetically from a script that know nothing that is not in the script. The temperature of most of the working population is such that they can be as rude as the want to because they can always move on to the NEXT minimum wage job when they get fired from this one.

Newegg is actually owned by Liaison Interactive in China.

Last edited by eddie1261; 07/18/21 06:09 AM.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I have never heard of anybody saying "We will only sell you LESS products and take LESS of your money."

I have turned this over and over in my mind the last few days and the only thing that I have come up with is that this is New Egg’s attempt to defeat the “toilet paper mentality” that overcame the country at the beginning of the Covid-19 epidemic. There is currently a computer chip shortage that is affecting a number of industries and the auto and GPU manufacturers have been particularly hard hit. I did quite a bit of research on the problem when we purchased our new mini van back in April and the current problem is not just because the economy is having to gear back up from the pandemic but one of the largest chip manufacturing facilities in the world burned to the ground in Japan taking one of the major manufacturers out of the game for awhile. This factory was the sole source of Chips for FORD motors causing them to completely shut down new car manufacturing pending them being able to secure another source of chips.

Meanwhile on the the GPU and RAM front, manufacturing has slowed down leading to people buying up, hoarding, and reselling GPUs at jacked up prices, so I’m guessing part of New Egg’s strategy is to give as many people as possible the opportunity to purchase certain items without opening up an avenue of supply to people trying to profit off the shortage.

Keith
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: KeithS
There is currently a computer chip shortage

At least this shortage is real. When Windows 95 came out a LOT of people needed to add RAM for it to run correctly. I was in that majority. I also ended up paying $325 for and 8 MEG stick of RAM to bring my computer up to a whopping 16 MEG of RAM. The price was so high because (ahem) there had allegedly been a fire in a silicon production factory somewhere in China or Japan or whichever city they picked to support their lie. Due to that (alleged) fire the silicon needed to make RAM was (again, allegedly) scarce. I still believe, 26 years later, that there was no fire and that it was an opportunistic, collusive effort to drive prices up knowing that since there were so many people like me who needed more RAM to run Windows 95 that this was a prime money making scam. And yeah, I had no choice to be or not to be a victim.

$325 for 8 MEGS!!! Not GIGS. MEGS. Amazing what "they" pull.

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran

$325 for 8 MEGS!!! Not GIGS. MEGS. Amazing what "they" pull.

Ha, you ain't seen nothing yet!
In 1988 I was working on an Amiga 2000 - the one in the big metal box.
The basic machine cost £2K and to up-grade to 8 meg we had to buy an expansion card which cost a further £850.
Actually, it was a great computer for the time.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That same $325 will buy 64 GIGS of RAM today. I get inflation and all, but man...

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,566
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200