Go To
Off-Topic
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
it does not open a new window when I connect it to either of my laptops
and one can hear a feeble 'beep' sound inside the case; is it broken ?
thanks in advance

Bernard Rasson

BIAB Audiophile 2021, BIAB Megapak 2015 (for midi-only projects), Cakewalk, Roland XV-5080, Roland Fantom XR, Aria AC60 Nylon Strings Guitar, Almansa Spanish Guitar, Fender Stratocaster Japan, two laptops
Je parle français
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bernard Rasson
thanks in advance

There's a possibility that the internal drive has become partially dislodged from its socket connection. Carefully see if you can open the drive case and re-seat the physical drive. On the other hand, if the drive was shocked (dropped), it may be toast.

Perhaps a reputable computer repair centre might assist.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
thanks in advance

There's a possibility that the internal drive has become partially dislodged from its socket connection. Carefully see if you can open the drive case and re-seat the physical drive. On the other hand, if the drive was shocked (dropped), it may be toast.

Perhaps a reputable computer repair centre might assist.

The drives we use these days for Audiophiles don't come apart easily, but that also means that they don't dislodge themselves from the internal connector (it's basically impossible for that to happen on these drives, short of breaking all the plastic for the drive), so in your case don't worry about disassembling the drive.

It's possible that the computer is now set to not display the window when you plug the drive in. Try opening a File Explorer window (right click the Start menu and choose File Explorer) then see if you can locate the Audiophile drive in the list on the left side.

If that doesn't help, I'd suggest trying a different USB cable, a different USB port on the laptop (on the opposite side of the laptop if possible), and if you're using a USB hub, splitter, or extender, I'd suggest taking those out of the equation and plug the drive directly into the computer, as those devices usually don't provide enough power to run a hard drive.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It's the comment: "one can hear a feeble 'beep' sound inside the case" that worries me.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
thank you Videotrack
I don't think it was handled roughly because I never use my laptops away from my sofa
thankfully it does not hold any personal data; I was only looking for the style suggestions for a handful of songs

Bernard Rasson

BIAB Audiophile 2021, BIAB Megapak 2015 (for midi-only projects), Cakewalk, Roland XV-5080, Roland Fantom XR, Aria AC60 Nylon Strings Guitar, Almansa Spanish Guitar, Fender Stratocaster Japan, two laptops
Je parle français
Off-Topic
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
thank you Simon
what I did was to check my first audiophile HDD (2016) using the 2021 cable
this one does run normally so I think the issue is really the 2021 HDD
I also let Windows update itself just in case

Bernard Rasson

Je parle français
Off-Topic
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Thank you again VideoTrack;
this is also what worries me
the 2016 audiophile HDD makes a soft whirring sound and the light does blink from time to time
so I would say there is at least 90 % probability the new one is broken

Bernard Rasson

Je parle français
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bernard, I would contact PG Music Support about this. They may be able to offer a solution. They are a very reputable company when it comes to customer support. Good luck, and do keep us informed of how you resolve your issue. In the meantime, please call out if we can offer any further assistance.

Off-Topic
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
thank you so much VideoTrack; yes, I know I am in good company here ;-)
don't worry too much: I have plenty of nice things to try until I can access to a 2021 version again
yesterday I was listening to the various ORK midi styles in search of something suitable for a nice orchestral pop ballad :-)
best regards sent to Australia !

Bernard Rasson

Je parle français
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
best regards sent to Australia !

Many thanks. Your kind wishes are very much appreciated smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If the USB port is underpowered, USB HD might create all kind of noises and not start up.... I have seen this several times on HDs and external DVDs that did not required external power.
Do you have another small (unpowered) HD you can try using same port?

Off-Topic
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Hi Rustyspoon, yes I have
as I said above, I tried using my first Audiophile hdd (2016)
It has also a 2 TB capacity and is a little bit thicker
I think we can reasonably assume that a HDD from 2021 should consume less energy than the older one
thanks anyway !

Bernard Rasson

Je parle français
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
First, I didn't want this tidbit to go unnoticed from Simon:

"The drives we use these days for Audiophiles don't come apart easily, but that also means that they don't dislodge themselves from the internal connector (it's basically impossible for that to happen on these drives, short of breaking all the plastic for the drive), so in your case don't worry about disassembling the drive."

That's very good news, and represents a change from the advice we used to offer when a drive became disconnected during shipping.

Second, yes, try other USB ports, particularly one on the back of the computer directly connected to the motherboard.

Third, in Windows 10, I have regularly seen a USB 3.0 drive that is working correctly fail to be recognized by my computer. I then plug it into a USB 2.0 port, and it works. Try that. Then after properly disconnecting, that same drive does work in the USB 3.0 port that failed just a minute before. Weird, but reproducible and that's the workaround.

Having said all that, from your clear description of the problem, especially about the click (from the drive controller), I think it is most likely you need to send the drive to PG Music and request they check it and send a replacement.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Depends on controller chip / manufacturer.
You can also check disk manager to see if it shows up there...
In the past I replaced about 20 laptop size drives, both internal/external The most common "sound" I have heard was "clicking" when they were dying, second most common sound was it would start to spin, sudden stop then start spinning again, usually in timed and recognizable pattern.

Another random thought. Last big Windows update caused a lot of driver problems for people. Just yesterday I spent an hour reinstalling drivers on my mother's laptop, because her touch function of the screen stopped working after win update. I got it fixed by rolling back to older drivers. What I am trying to say, while it seems related to the drive, it could be something else too.

Off-Topic
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
thank you so much everyone for all the help
I am almost sure it is a hardware, mecanichal problem with the pgmusic audiophile disk
this small beep inside is something I never heard, and I have used many, many external hd in the past
I will check this again

Bernard Rasson

Je parle français
Off-Topic
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Hello everybody,
I just received an audiophile 2021 replacement HDD from PGMusic
no more problems !
how can I mark the problem as "solved" ?
thank you so much,
Bernard Rasson

Bernard Rasson

Je parle français
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hello everybody,
I just received an audiophile 2021 replacement HDD from PGMusic
no more problems !
how can I mark the problem as "solved" ?
thank you so much,
Bernard Rasson

Great! Open your original post, and press the 'Mark as Resolved'. There's a button for that.

Off-Topic
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
done !
if you don't see me the coming months it's because i'm "Lost in Music" ;-)

Bernard Rasson

Je parle français
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
done !
if you don't see me the coming months it's because i'm "Lost in Music" ;-)

Good to hear your problems are solve Bernard, have fun!

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,742
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191