Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
H
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
I pressed the Play+ button which generated a new version of the guitar RealTrack. I didn't freeze the track and now I can't go back to a previous version that I liked. No matter how many times I have pressed the Play+ button it just won't generate that same nice version again. Is the ANY way to control how BIAB generates a new version of the track each time you press Play+? If not, this is kind of sucky.

Dell Laptop Core I7, 16 GB Ram, Windows 10/64, Studio One 5 Pro with Komplete 13 and lots of VST plugins, BIAB UltraPak 2022 Build 914
Expert
Expert
i don't think there is. freeze was introduced to save tracks you like. the only possible solution i can think of is to open the project in RealBand, then generate multiple versions and cut and paste the bits you like together, make a wav file and then import that back into BIAB.

RealTracks must have a finite number of variations so that might just get you the bits you like but its a long and fiddly process. sorry i can't be of more help.

Last edited by Bob Calver; 07/13/21 05:02 AM.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The tracks will keep re-generating until you freeze the track, which is the snowflake (*) button in the mixer. You could use the MultiRiffs feature to generate several instances of a RealTrack, freeze them, then choose to use the one you like best. More info on this feature is in this video: https://youtu.be/1akkEAxVy2o

Best,
Chantelle
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
BIAB runs on a machine using a randomize function, which in computer algorithms is not truly random, and the recorded RealTracks have playing that is not unlimited, so theoretically if you regenerated VERY MANY times you might get close again. You know about freeze, as explained above. So I think the practical answer is No. When you hear something you like, freeze it. Or, if you have BIAB 2021, move it to a Utility Track just in case you want to keep trying but finally decide you can't find anything better.

And since you asked for ANY way to control this, if your RealTrack is mostly right and has a few areas you don't like, then it is possible to use an expensive plugin called Melodyne Studio to edit the individual pitches and rhythms inside a polyphonic audio recording. I will just say this is painstaking work, but you asked. Since it's just one instrument, guitar, it will likely be polyphonic but not as difficult to edit as a mix of a whole band.

One more thought, since you asked about ANY way to control this. I would expect that if you selected Simple as an option for that RealTrack, there would be fewer RealTrack possibilities generated. This is just a guess, but it seems intuitive.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
H
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
Thanks for the info to all of you. I'm a little disappointed about this but, oh well.... I'm on BIAB 2020 so I can't use utility tracks until I upgrade. The track that I liked was a Gypsy Jazz style and I wanted to isolate the guitar part which not only had certain chord variations that I liked but also some of the bars had an interesting syncopation in the right places. I suppose if I sat here all day and tried to bring it back by pressing F4 it might work eventually, but I have other things to do.

So, is there a way to have BIAB play the ACTUAL chord that I tell it to play instead of it deciding on its own to randomize variations on the theme every time that it plays the song?

Dell Laptop Core I7, 16 GB Ram, Windows 10/64, Studio One 5 Pro with Komplete 13 and lots of VST plugins, BIAB UltraPak 2022 Build 914
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"Degenerate" this has been suggest in the wish list.
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Another thing that came to me was the word Degenerate, this could allow you to go back anytime select a section that was previously generated over and select Degenerate to get the old one back as the new one is %^&* and the old was better.
You can take it further than the simple Degenerate.
Be able to select from previous generations with a right click even.
If they can get over to that Play Direct method it would be just be storing the track section data from the previous generations that you can select from and it would instantly play it without it being in other track.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
A selectable Undo.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I like the term: "Degenerate", it encapsulates other connotations. grin
But yes, "Undo" would be a great feature, and probably not incredibly difficult to implement. Just keep a record of the meta-data that was used to create the track.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I know this is on the wishlist already, but I'll go ahead and resubmit the suggestion to the internal wishlist database. Your best friend will definitely be the freeze button. You can always save multiple versions of the song as well - perhaps something to the effect of "songname-V1" as your original song file that you don't save changes to, and then other iterations as "songname-V2, "songname-V3", "songname-V4" for each version you've regenerated that you liked, then chose to freeze again. It would take up extra space, but you could always delete the specific versions you don't like, but this way having multiple versions of the song will allow you to play around however much you like without fear of losing a specific sound you like by utilizing the "save as" option.

Last edited by Ember - PG Music; 07/13/21 02:36 PM.

Cheers,
Ember
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195