Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
BLONG Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I loaded a friend's instrumental WAV file into BIAB and it appears and plays as AUDIO. How can I now add my vocals as the AUDIO track is being used?

Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Regardless of the version or OS your BIAB happens to be, you have to convert the audio residing on the Audio Channel to A Performance Track and move it to any other BIAB Mixer Channel. For instance, if the style that's loaded for your song doesn't have an instrument loaded on the Strings, Melody or Soloist tracks and you don't plan to add tracks to any of them, move the Audio to one of those tracks - Example Move the audio to the Melody Track.
----
To move Audio to another BIAB Mixer Channel:
At the top of the Chord Sheet on the Main Page, select Audio and from the Pull Down Menu select Move Audio to Performance Track. Note: You'll be prompted to save your project before any track can be converted to a Performance Track. In Windows version, the other tracks besides the Audio Channel can access this command from the individual channels drop down menu when you right click onto the channel and select Track Actions.

If you have a 2021 Windows or Mac version of BIAB, you can also move Audio to one of the 16 new Utility Tracks or you can record Audio directly onto any of the Utility Tracks.
----
To record audio onto the Audio Channel once the existing audio has been moved to another track, select the Record Audio Button located in the Transport Tool Bar on the Main Page.
----

As an FYI, you wouldn't likely want to do this, but in the "Record Audio" menu page, if the 'Overdub underlying audio' box is checked, you can record new audio that's merged with any existing audio that's already residing on the Audio Channel.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
Expert
Online Content
Expert
as usual, Charlie is the BIAB wizard but as usual I'm going to tell you to use RealBand.

open RB. open the wav file and it will load on track 1. select track 2, right click to change to audio mono (vocals from a single mic are mono) and you are ready to go.

click on the fx button when you've recorded your track and yo can add fx like reverb easily and simply. open the mixer and you can set the volume of instrumental and vocal easily and simply.

by all means get to know BIAB but RB is so much simpler and more transparent. and you still get all the RealTracks and styles from BIAB to add extra tracks.

I wonder how many beginners never open RB and find how much easier it is to things that in BIAB needs complicated processes

Last edited by Bob Calver; 07/12/21 11:12 PM.
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
as usual, Charlie is the BIAB wizard but as usual I'm going to tell you to use RealBand.

open RB. open the wav file and it will load on track 1. select track 2, right click to change to audio mono (vocals from a single mic are mono) and you are ready to go.

click on the fx button when you've recorded your track and yo can add fx like reverb easily and simply. open the mixer and you can set the volume of instrumental and vocal easily and simply.

by all means get to know BIAB but RB is so much simpler and more transparent. and you still get all the RealTracks and styles from BIAB to add extra tracks.

I wonder how many beginners never open RB and find how much easier it is to things that in BIAB needs complicated processes

<< as usual, Charlie is the BIAB wizard but as usual I'm going to tell you to use RealBand. >>

As usual??? OK. The posters post indicates the audio is already imported and loaded onto the Audio Channel in BIAB and the question is how to move forward to add vocals to that imported WAV instrumental.

Isn't it the best "usual" response to directly answer the actual question? Wouldn't you suggest a beginner's first posted question answered by a wizard should be taken and is likely spot on? wink

My post addressed the poster's exact query without making any assumptions to their knowledge base of BIAB/RB products or versions. No assumptions to if it's a PC or Mac/ what audio interface, mic or other extraneous information necessary to record. My post provides the simple process to move the audio to another track so additional audio can be recorded.

Complicated is assuming the poster uses Windows version of BIAB and even has RealBand. RealBand can not be considered an answer unless the OP has that specific software. My post starts with "Regardless of the version your BIAB happens to be or OS...".

I wonder how many experts never open BIAB and find how much faster and easier having access to ALL of BIAB's features it is to things when editing in BIAB than it is in RealBand and every other complicated DAW software?

<< ...how much easier it is to things that in BIAB needs complicated processes >>

I'm not sure why you challenge a better answer than what you gave but I'll bite today..... Please explain what you find so complicated about moving an audio track to another channel in BIAB and what is different and complicated about recording audio in BIAB?

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
Expert
Online Content
Expert
my apologies Charlie, 'the BIAB wizard' was intended to be a compliment. i realize everyone has different workflows and that BIAB is tremendously powerful and that your expertise is of great value in the forums.

my point was that as soon as you open a wav file in RB you are ready to go - everything you need is there in front of you. and i personally find RB quicker and easier to use in many situations. if the OP wanted full BIAB functionality that's a different matter but all they asked about was adding a vocal track to a wav file and opening the file again in RB didn't seem to waste any effort already expended.

let's hope the OP follows your example in learning how powerful BIAB is, but if they never open RB i think they are missing how well the two programs work together.

sorry if you thought i was being disrespectful.

Last edited by Bob Calver; 07/13/21 04:59 AM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Yep... use a DAW. Easiest way to work with audio no matter how many tracks you need.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
my apologies Charlie, 'the BIAB wizard' was intended to be a compliment. i realize everyone has different workflows and that BIAB is tremendously powerful and that your expertise is of great value in the forums.

my point was that as soon as you open a wav file in RB you are ready to go - everything you need is there in front of you. and i personally find RB quicker and easier to use in many situations. if the OP wanted full BIAB functionality that's a different matter but all they asked about was adding a vocal track to a wav file and opening the file again in RB didn't seem to waste any effort already expended.

let's hope the OP follows your example in learning how powerful BIAB is, but if they never open RB i think they are missing how well the two programs work together.

sorry if you thought i was being disrespectful.

Oh no Bob, I was not offended or put off by your remarks. Sorry for the misunderstanding because I was a bit excited to hopefully engage you and others because I reached the same conclusion as you; That the task is simple. Only adding a vocal track to a WAV file. You, Herb and others automatically take this task to RealBand or another DAW and I would encourage them to do it in BIAB. You guys say it's easier to do even basic editing in a DAW but you don't say why. You say BIAB is convoluted and complicated. I don't find it to be and it would be good to know your experiences.

Obviously a DAW is more advanced than BIAB audio and there's many cases a DAW is the right tool for a particular project. But I'll offer the reasoning that the advanced features of RB and third party DAWs are overkill for many types of BIAB projects and that remaining within the BIAB program is a better, more efficient, faster and productive workflow than what I believe is unnecessarily rendering and exporting individual tracks from BIAB to RB or another DAW.

Some examples where BIAB is the better option are:
. BIAB Beginners. I'm unaware of any BIAB technique that's more complicated than the process used by many users of creating tracks in BIAB, saving and opening the project in RB to audition and add additional tracks and then exporting that to yet a third DAW for more processing. Even starting in BIAB and exporting individual tracks for basic editing, comping, cross fading, gain staging, fade ins, fade outs, transitions and adding and building additional tracks is needless. All of these tasks can be done in BIAB and all a beginner has to learn is where these techniques are located and how to activate them. Most are done by making selections or checking a box in a drop down menu. That's far easier than learning basic BIAB plus learning another software. BIAB has two Audio Editors and they are very robust and easy to understand and use tools.
. To users that purchase the lower priced packages. Doing tasks in BIAB gives them more bang on the dollar and offsets some of what they lose by not having huge quantities of RealTracks and other content. Even though they have less content, knowing these processes exist and the techniques to use them allows them to create more complex arrangements and make the best use of the BIAB content they have.
. Any basic audio editing. Cut/paste, normalize, trim intros and endings, fade ins and fade outs etc...
. Users that create backing accompaniment tracks. It's easy to create more advanced and complex arrangements and enhance styles with additional instruments, add soloists and add imported audio all within BIAB and have instant feedback to changes in an arrangement plus instantly undo changes, correct poor chord phrasing which are tasks that are quick and seamless to complete in BIAB many times in less time than it takes to render and export tracks or to save a project and have it open and create tracks in RB.
. Songwriting and developing song ideas. It's great as inspiration strikes to test if an particular instrument will work in a song or hear harmonies you create on the fly and get instant feedback and also have instant undo, instant regeneration, fast BIAB style changes and regenerations. Again, BIAB can create and generate songs that are a lot more advanced and complex than just what one gets by selecting a style, inputting chords and hitting play. Even if a song project is moved at some point to a DAW for further processing it makes sense to create a demo in BIAB that may contain a dozen or more tracks and a dozen or more instruments to 'hear' how a production will sound before committing to exporting tracks. It can also save time and is non-intrusive to breaking up the creative thought process.

These are advantages created just from the Audio Channel and Audio Editor in BIAB. A user can expand their productivity and inspirational arranging exponentially from here by learning how to employ or create MultiStyles and use the RealTrack Medly Maker.

A properly constructed song completed using these tools and techniques in BIAB will be indistinguishable from one using similar tools in a DAW. That said, even songs that are intended for more professional use or commercial release will certainly fare better with the advanced features offered by post processing with a DAW but the basic pre-production and developing songs can be done in BIAB without sacrificing or interrupting the inspirational workflow.

Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Yep... use a DAW. Easiest way to work with audio no matter how many tracks you need.

For simple stuff, I disagree. It's a total waste of time to open up RB or Sonar to cut/paste to correct 3 bad chords or to trim an intro or ending. Or waste time using a DAW to fix an abrupt intro or ending of a soloist at the beginning or end of an instrumental piece or to a riff throughout the song. These type tasks can be completed in BIAB before you can even open the DAW and get the asio working... wink

Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

For simple stuff, I disagree. It's a total waste of time to open up RB or Sonar to cut/paste to correct 3 bad chords or to trim an intro or ending. Or waste time using a DAW to fix an abrupt intro or ending of a soloist at the beginning or end of an instrumental piece or to a riff throughout the song. These type tasks can be completed in BIAB before you can even open the DAW and get the asio working... wink

I agree with you Charlie, that's exactly why we added editing features and Utility Tracks to Band-in-a-Box. That said, for those who are more comfortable with a DAW workflow, that's probably the best way to go.

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,689
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200