Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>I still have one XP computer that I use to run the 8.3 bug free version of Master Tracks Pro.

Bob,
Awesome! Nice to hear that’s still running well.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
+++This+++ is a CNET article on the Windows 11 speculation. It does reference some of the other postings in this thread, but in the end that could be an echo chamber effect. But it does seem like there will be a major update coming, whether it is called Windows 11 or not.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Microsoft's tool to check if your PC is compatible with the requirements for Windows 11 is offline.

If you want to check yours, there is an open-source tool I found, here: https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11 Scroll down to download the latest release, then unzip it.

Both my 2014-era PCs failed miserably.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Microsoft's tool to check if your PC is compatible with the requirements for Windows 11 is offline.

If you want to check yours, there is an open-source tool I found, here: https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11 Scroll down to download the latest release, then unzip it.

Both my 2014-era PCs failed miserably.

I tried this one myself. My computer has more red or yellow boxes than green...

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Surely they will have to relax the hardware requirements for windows 11, or else there will be a slow take up, as 10 support doesn't end until 2025, I will probably need a new pc before that.

Last edited by musiclover; 07/06/21 01:25 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Here is my report. An i5 is not sufficient for Windows 11?

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don't feel bad Eddie. My i7 isn't compatible either!

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
no win 11.jpg (83.7 KB, 258 downloads)

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I ran the utility on both my new HP laptop and my homebuilt desktop (which I've upgraded multiple times over a decade).

My laptop passed in all categories. The desktop failed on a few items, notably the TPM. It has an ASUS motherboard, but it's dated 2012. On the ASUS website, I found the following: "TPM 2.0 was introduced back in 2015, and all ASUS motherboards feature version 2.0."

So my 2012 P8H77-V LE motherboard isn't supported. My I7 CPU isn't listed as compatible and a few other items are flagged as red.

But below is my laptop result:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Win11Results.jpg (154.46 KB, 240 downloads)

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Here is my report. An i5 is not sufficient for Windows 11?

4-series Intel is not compatible? I was afraid of that. Looks like my very-much-not-cheap 6-core 4930K machine is garbage now...

I'm sure someone will figure out a workaround for a lot of these issues. Perhaps the TPM2.0 could be bypassed in software...

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I had a lot of RED the first time around and now I'm mostly GREEN due to one particular topic that causes all the RED. This was a rabbit hole that took a while to chase down......

I had RED items with Boot Method, Disk Partition Type, & Secure Boot.

So you have to convert your OS disk, typically C:\ from MBR (Master Boot Record) to GPT (GUID Partition Table). When that's done you can switch your BIOS from Legacy to UEFI. Once that's done, you can turn on Secure Boot in your BIOS.

If your computer is too old, BIOS may not even have an option for UEFI. I had the option but it didn't work at first because the OS disk wasn't converted.

Convert MBR to GPT with MBR2GPT Tool in Windows 10 V1703 or Later

Once I hit that link I followed the "How to convert MBR to GPT with MBR2GPT?" part of the page for running in Windows 10. One thing of note when running the command, your C:\ OS drive may not be zero unless it's your only drive. Since I have extra drives on my main PC, my OS drive was actually Disk2 per Disk Management. So I put a 2 in the command where "N" was and it ran fine.

From there, I just had to reboot the PC and press F2 to enter BIOS. I switched from Legacy to UEFI and then turned on Secure Boot and now I have the result below:

Untitled.jpg (140.9 KB, 189 downloads)

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Oh My
Loads of nibble and bits, I like it. What Fun !

but I can hear no music here smile
just a chant of pain & suffering, maybe the Blues!

this topic is way Out There
we were warned it is in the correct forum

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This is all about hardware security:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22550376/microsoft-windows-11-tpm-chips-requirement-security

I'm not going on a rant about security issues but I'll say that in my tax business per a recent federal law and IRS regs I now have to have a security plan in place, have several levels of online protection and be able to prove it if one of my clients suffers an identity theft issue traceable back to me.

I know many here poo poo all this and that's great, I'm not preaching at anybody, I'll just say online security is getting pretty damn serious and it's really impacting business at many levels from government access to booking a flight.

TPM shouldn't be a surprise to any of you who know more about PC's and software than I do. They've been talking about hardware security and encryption at the CPU level for years now. If some don't care I totally agree, MS will almost certainly extend support for Win 10 beyond 2025 so you're good for many years. However, while I won't be in the very first group to update to 11, I'll probably be right behind them, it is a business expense which helps. Of course my current system being a 7 year old i7 failed, I've had it for 5 years about time to retire it anyway.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the info Bob.....

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Bob, is your type of business covered under some arm of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act? I have always wanted tp punch both of those guys in the face.

I worked a contract for a bank. When computers were retired, the data was moved, the hard drives were wiped with a 3 pass process that wrote 0s on every sector of the hard drive, AND we had to remove them and using a drill press, drill three 1/2" holes through the platters. Have you ever tried to drill through a hard drive platter?

One time in a meeting the powers that be were discussing the process of moving retired PCs from the main business office of the bank to the data center when that process was performed. They were going back and forth about security during transit, and just when the decided that everything was secure, your truly tapped his pen on the table and asked "How well do you know these drivers from the company you hired to moved the PCs? Is it outside the realm of possibility that IF they wanted to do so, they could drive that truck to a garage where 100 guys are waiting with tools and junk hard drives and swapping out the hard drives from the bank's computers. It is highly unlikely, but possible. And for the last 90 minutes you have all been going on and on about hypotheticals. Well, there's my hypothetical."

Crickets.

After they hemmed and hawed for about 3 minutes I stood up, smiled, and said "I think my work here is done." and left the meeting. The same day they changed the process so a bank employee would have to be the one driving the truck. As I whispered to my co-worker "How do they know they can trust HIM? Albert DeSalvo (The Boston Strangler) told a woman he was a detective before he molested and killed her." And he looked at me and said "Oh just shut up, will ya?"

Last edited by eddie1261; 07/08/21 03:38 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Bob, is your type of business covered under some arm of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act? I have always wanted tp punch both of those guys in the face.

No, it comes from the Federal Trade Commission and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act

Basically I'm under the same rules as Amazon, Facebook or any other company that handles customers personal data.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This is one of my favorite tech sites for when I really want to feel stupid. Just watching this makes me want to go throw up in the corner but they seem to be extremely competent with this stuff. I know some of you guys will eat this up so here it is:

How to install Win 11 on basically anything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NivpAiuh-s0

Interesting that they do keep saying all this could change if MS wants to lock all these hacks out.

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
New article out that may have people less stressed.....

Following complaints, Microsoft will make Windows 11 compatible with more PC chips

Steve

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: sslechta
New article out that may have people less stressed.....

Following complaints, Microsoft will make Windows 11 compatible with more PC chips

It's good that they're going back one more generation of CPU, though that won't help people who have machines older than a 7th gen Intel Core. That said, if you're running something much older than that, it's time to upgrade your computer.

This change basically allows computers from the past 5 years to run Windows 11. For comparison, the latest macOS supports computers from the last 8 years, which goes back to a 4th gen Intel. As Apple has complete control over what components will run on their OS, they can get away with supporting older machines as they know exactly what's in them. Microsoft, on the other hand, has to rely on hundreds if not thousands of companies to write updated drivers to be able to offer support for older hardware. I honestly think it's fairly generous that they support up to 5 years back, as trying to match Apple's 8 years would mean they'd have to try and support every machine that ever shipped with Windows 8, and some that shipped with Windows 7.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My i7 is from 2014 and is a 40xx. It’s fine. This is silly I can’t upgrade.

Friends and family count on me, a former comp. sci. prof, to stay current. It doesn’t help Microsoft that someone like me cannot upgrade.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Sure you CAN upgrade, Matt. It's just going to cost you. And therein lies the complaint I have had against Micro$oft and Apple. They hold us hostage with their upgrades that require hardware replacement. There comes a point where they create yet another new OS that your hardware can't run. I had an original iPad that couldn't run the OS needed to run the cooler new apps. I hate them for this business model of forced obsolescence.

Last edited by eddie1261; 08/27/21 05:51 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195