#664905 07/19/21 04:20 PM
Off-Topic
P
Paj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
P
Most of the time, you just pop the drives into their proper slots in the "toaster" and start the process, then come back later and it's finished but, if you use and love the convenience of dual-bay stand-alone cloners for archiving/backups, there are some times that stuff can go south so I share these tips/solutions:

(1) Don't blame anybody but yourself if you try to clone a drives with a greater capacity than the manufacturer's rating. If you're lucky, you'll just waste time; if unlucky, you may trigger a set of events with Windows10 that is regrettable (see CAUTION in #5, below).

(2) Paranoia pays off: Check and double check that Source and Target/Destination drives are in the right slots. Making the markings on the toaster legible or affixing labels is not a bad idea.

(3) I always disconnect the connections to the computer for standalone cloning. It's probably not necessary but when a large capacity drive doesn't appear to be cloning for the major part of a day, it's one less issue to have to worry about or consider (also, note #5, below).

(4) You usually have to make sure that the target/destination drive has been initialized and subsequently formatted before it can become a clone. You can do this with the Manage->Storage->Disk Management Snap-in feature of Windows10's This PC or with a piece of third-part software like EaseUS's Partition Magic (which has been a life-saver for me). After initialization, a quick format has never caused me any issues and is additional insurance that the cloning will complete.

(5) What happens if the power gets interrupted during a running cloning operation? Usually, just start over again. CAUTION: If your cables are connected to the computer at this point and your computer is on, turning on the toaster may cause a Kernal Error Blue Screen and an involuntary rebooting of your computer. If this happens two or three times in a row, you may have to go through the automatic Window Repair sequence (if you're lucky) or, if that fails, one of the Window's Advanced reset options---welcome to your nightmare. Don't turn on your computer and the toaster with the interrupted target drive in it until you have taken care of the target drive (usually, just restart the cloning process).

(6) What happens if YOU have to interrupt/stop a running cloning operation. First: Be aware of the indicator light sequence for your toaster. I have one that looks like it is approaching completion then, all of a sudden, looks like it's starting all over again---which can be scary after running for hours and hours with a large-capacity cloning operation (thankfully, the second cycle completes much faster). None of my toasters have a stop/cancel function so you basically have to stop the running operation by shutting it off. Re-read the CAUTION in #5, above. If you shut it off because the cloning is not working (the cloning operation has been running way too long, no progress indicated, etc.), read on. Try cloning a lower capacity drive to the corrupted Target drive to recover its functionality and to stop it from resetting Windows with a Kernal Error Blue Screen. The "smaller" the low-capacity drive, the quicker you'll get through this process. After the Target drive successfully clones anew, you can connect it, reformat it (quick format is ok), and expand it all the way. It should then be ready to repeat what you started out to do, your initial cloning operation.

(7) I have pair of 2TB drives, one Hitachi and one Seagate, that will not clone in one toaster (rated to 4TB) but will clone in another toaster (rated to 12TB). I have a pair of 8TB HGST drives, 10TB HGST drives, and 12TB Arsenal drives, same models, same capacities, purchased together in matching pairs, etc.---that will not clone each other even though all the required parameters are met. I do have a work-around that you can try for the issue of seemingly identical drives or identical capacity drives that will not clone: Use third-party partitioning software (I use EaseUS Partition Magic) to reduce/unallocate some space on the Source drive. In other words, make it appear "smaller" than its full raw capacity. Don't use the native Windows10 utilities for this because they will likely destroy all your data in the process. Third party software like Partition Magic will not destroy existing data, will not allow you to reduce the partition beyond the capacity needed for the data already on it, and will do so more rapidly and efficiently. Once you have reduced the apparent capacity of your Source drive, restart the cloning process. This has worked for me with the 8TB, 10TB and 12TB drives. After the cloning is completed I use the third-party partition software to expand the partitions to the full capacity of the drives.

(8) If your cloning was successful and you connected the toaster to the computer, you may notice that only one of the Source/Destination pair is appearing in the Explorer drives list. Since both drives now have identical signatures, they appear to be "colliding" to Windows and one of them was placed "offline." You can use Windows to place it "on line" and it is better to do this before you run you third-party partition "resizing" software since, even if it will see the off-line drive, it may not present you with the necessary options to resize/expand it:
Explorer->This PC->Manage->Storage->Disk Management; then find/scroll to the offline drive in the bottom frame and right-click on the blue "offline" circle and select "Online." After a moment the drive label and letter will appear and now it will be active in Explorer and ready to be processed with your third-party partition software, to expand the successfully cloned drives to full capacity.

This may seem like a lot of stuff but nothing here is as time-consuming as trying to transfer 8-10TB of files from one drive to another, either manually or via backup software.

Partition Magic is available on a trial basis to perform the functions mentioned here. I'm not affiliated except as a long-time satisfied customer. Others here might have other suggestions/recommendations. A primary consideration is that your data is preserved/not erased during re-sizing operations.

Later,
Paj
8^)

Paj #664956 07/20/21 02:28 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I use Acronis to clone drives to my toaster. Does Partition Magic do something that Acronis does not do?

Thanks
Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Paj #664958 07/20/21 02:56 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good info Paj.

Your rule #3 is the most important IMHO. I never have my toaster connected to my computer when cloning drives.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I use Acronis to clone drives to my toaster. Does Partition Magic do something that Acronis does not do?

Thanks
Notes

FYI - I have found Macrium Reflect much easier and safer than Acronis:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

I thoroughly tested the free version on a couple of computers. It worked perfectly. I did purchase the next version up and it clones disks faster than the free version.

I dropped Acronis after I had a couple of problems with its clone feature. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I can see your point on this Mario.

I have a purchased multi-system license for Macrium. I had tried Acronis before that and continually found issues, including support.

Macrium works better for me. Again, YMMV.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Paj #665016 07/20/21 08:53 AM
Off-Topic
L
Journeyman
Journeyman
L
Paj,

Thank you for your thoughtful post.

Phenomenal!

Also thanks for the valuable personal experience of subsequent posters!

Important info here.

Paj #665018 07/20/21 09:28 AM
Off-Topic
P
Paj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
P
Mario, Notes:

My original post was all about stand-alone cloning. I don't know if I would even attempt to clone a 10TB drive over USB or even by swapping out one of the internal drives with the target drive. How long would that take with Acronis (USB or internal setup)? I do regular file archiving over USB or internal drive swapping but, when I need to, I think hardware cloning a whole drive has a set of advantages that work for me. Partition Magic has a cloning feature but, for system drives, I think it will not clone the OS unless it "transfers" it.

Paj
8^)

Paj #665022 07/20/21 10:12 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Paj
Mario, Notes:

My original post was all about stand-alone cloning. I don't know if I would even attempt to clone a 10TB drive over USB or even by swapping out one of the internal drives with the target drive. How long would that take with Acronis (USB or internal setup)? I do regular file archiving over USB or internal drive swapping but, when I need to, I think hardware cloning a whole drive has a set of advantages that work for me. Partition Magic has a cloning feature but, for system drives, I think it will not clone the OS unless it "transfers" it.

Paj
8^)

Yes I know. I was responding to Notes' Acronis statement saying I have had problems with Acronis and have found Macrium Reflect top be a better choice IMHO.

I believe that it would more than a day to clone a 10TB drive using any software product!

My technique is to clone my C drive with Macrium, verify that it is good, then using my toaster clone that external drive two more times. This give me two backups here and one in my bank's safe deposit box.

I also have an internal 1TB SSD drive and an internal 4 TB HD that I copy to an external drive then clone them as above.

Paj #665044 07/20/21 01:22 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I believe that it would more than a day to clone a 10TB drive using any software product!

Yeah, once you get to that size better to just keep them in sync smile
If I save a file on replicated drive in location A it gets copied to another drive in location B
and Vice Versa (takes about 20 seconds usually)
of course, you need these size drives in both locations, but that's how we roll smile

Oh, and have a VPN between both locations and a secure subnet for best results
I'm sure this is way beyond most users needs, but this is what we do .. sometimes between continents

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Paj #665082 07/21/21 04:49 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the tips. I need to look into Macrium.

I haven't had any problems with Acronis, Mrs. Notes did once, and a re-install fixed it.

The yearly update nags are a bit of a PITA and when moving a license to a new computer is a bit tricky but not all that bad.

My toaster drives are not connected to the computer unless I'm actively backing up or cloning. That's why I bought the toasters. I take them out when not in use.

I also keep archived clones for many months, just in case I get a tragic error or malware that sleeps for a while before activating.

And I don't keep all the clones on the same drive.

My biggest backup disk is 2TB, so it doesn't take but a couple of hours to clone. I'm thinking about looking into a newer toaster that will take advantage of the newer USB speeds. But I found there are times when I can set aside a couple of hours for a clone.

At night I do an incremental backup that usually takes fewer than 10 minutes.

I also save data with Microsoft's SyncToy. It's quick and will back up any changes I've made on the important folders I have designated to echo.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
P
Paj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
P
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

. . .
My biggest backup disk is 2TB, so it doesn't take but a couple of hours to clone. I'm thinking about looking into a newer toaster that will take advantage of the newer USB speeds. But I found there are times when I can set aside a couple of hours for a clone.
. . .

Notes

I did get a couple of surprises with eSATA connections, one on the toaster end and one on the computer end. On the toaster end, only one drive might be visible over an eSATA connection. That's something to ask the vendor about if your interested in eSATA. On the computer/BIOS end, larger capacity drives (i.e., >2TB) might not be visible over the eSATA connection.

Paj
8^)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195