You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#665346 - 07/23/21 10:30 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] ~ Microphone Sensitivity ~ (Article)
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

+++ HERE +++ is a tutorial about microphone sensitivity you may find useful.
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#665368 - 07/23/21 12:18 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: ~ Microphone Sensitivity ~ (Article) [Re: Jim Fogle]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Simon - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Great article! Most often people get hooked in by salespeople who say "Condenser mics are better so you should get rid of your dynamic" but it all boils down to what you're micing up.

Personally I own more lower output dynamic mics than higher output condensers, since most of what I record is loud - drums, guitar amps, etc.

#665429 - 07/24/21 04:00 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: ~ Microphone Sensitivity ~ (Article) [Re: Jim Fogle]
Loc: Lake Keowee, South Carolina
MountainSide Offline
Veteran

Loc: Lake Keowee, South Carolina
Good article Jim. Thanks for posting. Learned a lot!

Jeff
Win10, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2022, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive Touch, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.16

#665843 - 07/27/21 02:40 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: ~ Microphone Sensitivity ~ (Article) [Re: Jim Fogle]
Loc: Denmark
Peters Garage Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Denmark
Interesting about mics - as a DIY fellow, I tend to stick with what I have and what I can afford

This one about mixing pop vocals is also brilliant, though rather specific when it comes to plugins - https://www.audiotechnology.com/tutorials/mixing-synth-pop-vocals - maybe one day I'll get closer to that :-)

From working with my own vocals I learned that there are plenty of ways to make the vocals work - and even more ways to screw 'em up completely.

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services

#665888 - 07/27/21 09:27 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: ~ Microphone Sensitivity ~ (Article) [Re: Jim Fogle]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

I totally agree that if you are into recording the best microphone is (are) the one(s) you have. If you have a laptop with a microphone, you have a microphone. If you have a media recorder or smart phone with a microphone, you have a microphone. If you have a gaming headset, you have a microphone. And so on.

I don't know anyone that started out recording with a $1,000 microphone. Everyone starts with what is available. You learn by doing.

Most people's first instrument is dorky unless they have somebody knowledgeable choosing the instrument for them. That is just the way life flows.
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#667075 - 08/04/21 10:54 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: ~ Microphone Sensitivity ~ (Article) [Re: Jim Fogle]
Loc: Sillie Con Valley, California
Mike Halloran Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
I don't know anyone that started out recording with a $1,000 microphone.

All of my friends did. Oh, they didn't cost that in the late '60s/early '70s when we were graduating from $19 Radio Shack condensers and the like (and made great recordings with 'em, too) but they're worth more than that now on the vintage market—and none of us are selling.

Not all mic pres are created equal and some of the better ones can make the lowest sensitivity ribbons quite useful. My $300 M-Audio Air interface handles mics such as my Shure SM7B and 315 ribbon along with a Beyer M500 with ease—and there are 4 of them.

I have an esoteric tube mic pre and CloudLifters to boost signals but haven't pulled them out in nearly a year. Can't sell them, though, never know when you'll get a client who hears through his/her eyes. Gotta have the Neumann and mic pre that glows when putting on a show.

#667182 - 08/05/21 02:52 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: ~ Microphone Sensitivity ~ (Article) [Re: Jim Fogle]
Simon - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
I don't know anyone that started out recording with a $1,000 microphone.

As a former music shop salesperson, I know a lot of people who started recording with a $1,000 microphone - even when I told them they'd be better served by spending $1000 on a complete package for audio interface, mic, monitors/headphones, DAW, and most importantly acoustic treatment. Ask me how I know from personal experience that a TLM103 will sound like junk in a poor-sounding space through laptop speakers (no it wasn't me that bought the TLM103).

Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Gotta have the Neumann and mic pre that glows when putting on a show.

I used to have an Avalon 737SP. It was nice, but I don't really miss it. My home made mic preamps sound just as good.

Edited by Simon - PG Music (08/05/21 02:56 PM)

#667201 - 08/05/21 04:52 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: ~ Microphone Sensitivity ~ (Article) [Re: Jim Fogle]
Loc: Florida
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
A good preamp is more important than anything you plug into it.

Regards,

Bob

#667465 - 08/07/21 10:56 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: ~ Microphone Sensitivity ~ (Article) [Re: 90 dB]
Mike Halloran Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
A good preamp is more important than anything you plug into it.

Regards,

Bob

True. Equally true is that a Mackie mic mixer has an overall better preamp than most boutique mic pres. Of course, that doesn't impress clients paying studio rates. That's what I meant by
Quote:
Gotta have the Neumann and mic pre that glows when putting on a show.

SOS — Do Expensive Mic Preamps Make A Difference?

Likewise the current generation of Fast USB 2/USB 3/TB3 interfaces. That new DAC/Mic pre/'phone amp chip is pretty amazing.

Although the marketing departments all have their own names for it, the guts are the same. Most use it as-is though M-Audio adds a gain circuit to handle low-sensitivity mics and Mackie adds built-in effects.

PG Music News
New Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Add-ons are Here!

We're excited to say that we've just released some amazing new RealStyles with XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3 and Xtra Styles PAK 13 for Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows or Mac!

XPro Styles PAK 2 includes 100 fresh new RealStyles that will up the utility and fun factor of the Band-in-a-Box® Pro version by adding 25 rock and pop styles, 25 jazz styles, 25 country styles, and 25 folk styles! XPro Styles PAK 3 goes even further - not only is it packed 100 new RealStyles, it includes 35 RealTracks that are not included with a Pro or MegaPAK purchase - adding even more versatility to what these can do! Sink your teeth into 25 rock/pop styles, 25 jazz/funk styles, 25 country/bluegrass styles, and 25 styles featuring a mix of genres ranging from high energy electro swing to ambient grooves and everything in between.

With the new Xtra Styles PAK 13, we're going to make the number thirteen lucky again! There are 200 new RealStyles for Rock/Pop, Jazz, Country, and Singer-Songwriter. Some examples of what's included: Mellow soundtrack rock, Americana country lullaby, western swing big band, coffee house jazz waltz, jazzy jump blues, songwriter gospel ballad, fast indie rock, vintage clav funk, country pop march, and much, much more!

And they're all ON SALE until July 15th! Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs or XPro Styles PAKs for only $29 per PAK (regular price $49 each)!

Purchase XPro Styles PAKs
Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs
Learn more & watch our video demonstrations

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac is here!

There are 50+ new features, 222 new RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Xtra Styles PAK 13, XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3, New "playable RealTracks" Hi-Q sounds, 2 sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Upgrade purchases until July 15, 2022 - save up to 50% when you purchase a Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2022 packages! For more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!), upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac.

How to: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Did you know that you can have multiple instances of Band-in-a-Box® open on your computer? There was a conversation about this recently on our Forum, so we put together this video explaining how: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

How to: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track (RealBand)

Using RealBand and wondering how to replace a MIDI track with an audio track?

We show you how in our RealBand®: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track
video!

How to: Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

Do you want to record your MIDI keyboard into Band-in-a-Box®, but aren't sure where to start? This quick video is what you've been looking for! How to Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows.

User Guide: Working with MIDI

How to: Why Does My Song Keep Looping in Band-in-a-Box®?

Your Band-in-a-Box® song is looping, and you don't want it to - what do you do?

Fortunately, this is a program setting that can be adjusted - see how this is done: Band-in-a-Box®: Why Does My Song Keep Looping?

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

(Additional Song Preferences you might also find useful: Global Song Overrides)

How to: Copy Chords and Song Info from Band-in-a-Box® to a Document

Did you know that you can copy the chords and other details of your Band-in-a-Box song into a document? We show you how in this video: How to Copy Chords and Song Info from Band-in-a-Box® to a Document

Learn more about this feature: Online Manual - Copy/Paste Chords as Simple Text

Forum Stats
36200 Members
64 Forums
74828 Topics
657155 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
wanimocchi, malcolmscott, Core28, jeanflrs01, bixby

36199 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 246