Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#665124 07/21/21 12:31 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Near my house is an are of the local Metro Parks system known as Treaty Line Rd. It's a nice little walking trail with a series of exercise stations along the way. I used to take my Wheaten Terrier, Twiggy, walking there. Then Scruff after her. Now I take Chunk there. Also note that this is the place designated in my farewell instructions to mix my ashes and however many boxes of dog ashes I have.

Today as I drove in I saw a guy there sitting on some kind of a case and playing a button box accordion. It was just him, the trees, and the breeze, and he was playing his heart out. I walked over and said hello and told him that what he was doing right there takes me back 65 years. We talked for a good 5 minutes before I went on our walk. And when I came back, he was playing a really nice waltz into his cell phone. It seems that he plays at nursing homes and eldercare assisted living residence type places. I heard that waltz and was sent back to when my mother had me sit with her and play The Blue Skirt Waltz over and over and over, alternating with her between melody and harmony. And she was quite strict about me getting it right, telling me "If you really want to be a musician when you grow up you need to know this stuff." Guess what that guy (Jerry) was playing as I walked back to the car after our walk?

Yep. The Blue Skirt Waltz. I couldn't hold it together. Between the memories of my mother driving home her point and the wonder of seeing this man doing what he was doing JUST for his love of music, it was too much. And I have been thinking ever since why I am how I am. When I play a show I agonize for DAYS about every note that was out of place, about every harmony that was flat, every cue that was missed, every arrangement that was broken... This drive for unattainable perfection is going to either kill me or drive me crazy like Shumann not being able to stop hearing "that note". I know there is no such thing as perfection, yet I strive for it myself and push others to join me in the quest, often making people really mad at me.

And today, here was this guy...

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Kind of a positive up beat message for you Eddie. smile There maybe hope for you yet. Thought others may want to share the sound. This is it, right?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
True story for you here.

When I was 10 years old, there was a widow in our neighborhood that treated all of us kids like her own. She went out and bought a big pool for all of us kids despite having no kids of her own. And she did stuff like that all the time. Her porch had a fridge that was stocked with NeHi pop every day! So one Saturday, all the grownups plotted and planned to paint her house. They met at my house, 3 houses down, and at 8am they went over and started banging on doors and windows to wake her up. Then the ladders went up. The men started painting, and the women stated cooking a typical Slovenian feast. Stuffed cabbage, kielbasa and fried potatoes, pierogi.. all of it. About 6:30 some "old" man (remember I was 10) came up the driveway and started playing his accordion. 10 minutes later an upright bass player showed up. Then a drummer. A sax player, a banjo player... When they were all in 4th gear my mother pulled out my accordion and there I was playing with these "old" guys. (More on that in a minute.)

About 9pm, up the driveway walked The Polka King himself, Frankie Yankovic. I didn't know until much later that this was not impromptu. All those "old" guys were the band he toured with. And here I was, at TEN YEARS OLD, playing with them. And holding my own!!!

I found out when I was in my 30s that after the music stopped at 11 or so (I had to go to sleep! Again, I was 10!) that Yankovic pulled my mother aside and told her "Whatever this kid does with the rest of his life, you make sure he stays with his music. I never heard somebody this age play so fluidly and with such good timing."

And that song you just posted right there still brings me to tears. My mother has been gone 20 years now, and every time I play I can hear her telling me "You HAVE to learn how to harmonize if you want to be a musician." She also taught me to polka and waltz at a very young age, part of why I have really good rhythm and timing.

I once did a recording of Blue Skirt Waltz JUST to have a copy of me performing it. It took me at LEAST 40 vocal takes to get through the song without blubbering.

My father? 100% HATED that I chose music as my path. 100% did not support me on my journey. Never once came to see me play. He wanted me to be the same hard working blue collar guy that he was. He died in 1991, at 73, when I was 39, disappointed in me. That has been a hard load to bear for these last 30 years.

Loved hearing that song one more time!

Last edited by eddie1261; 07/23/21 09:14 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Incredible story Eddie. Thanks for sharing that. Obviously your mother loved you very much and wanted you to be happy. Next time you walk ole' chunk along that trail just smile and think of Mom, and hear that song play in your head. Its the memories of things like those moments, that make life such a great journey.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
cool story

both of them actually.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 07/23/21 08:38 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199