Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,
COOL fun groove, melody and story.
You seem to be hiding behind processing again. Your last track had a strong vocal that wasn't so FX laden.
I saturate my voice in tweaks and FX but that's becasue I have a weak and unpleasant voice. Your natural voice is strong and clear as well as having presence...bolster it with a thickener, and some EQ, send it to the same reverb you send the solo to but keep it minimal.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A what a wonderful song, Hans. Love the emotion in your vocal. Really cool the way you brought the sax in. It sounds like the guy was standing there off-mic then sauntered to the front to do his thing --very well. Top-notch production, and no one can sing it better. wink

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Loved the groove Hans. Very different feel to this song in a good way. Sax was cool. Another super vocal and lyric. Well done..

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
We always enjoy hearing John L sing the blues smile

The arrangement on this tune is standout.
The stops, the builds, etc., really keep you engaged.

Your vocals were really good ... no matter how you did it!

Your almost Elevating Blues lyric elevated our mood on a hot, hot day.
And, yep, the blues can make you happy. Thank you.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I would think a very nice lead guitar would fit in here. :-). I may know someone who could add a bass track as well :-). Maybe on the next one.. ;-)

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello, David, Dave, Janne, Derochette and Mike D,

Thanks for dropping by and commenting the song. I will discuss each post individually, so dont worry.
The overall impression you gave me is the song sounds good. That is the nice part for me!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Nice blues! I didn't expect the strings, which were a nice addition.
Clever idea, well done.
Sax sounds good, as does your voice.
I like the occasional breaks - really effective.
Thanks for reminding me to comment on SoundCloud - not a habit I've developed yet.

Hi David, thanks you gave your opinion on SC too! I hope you can make it a habit. I do it with all the songs I like.
About the strings, well I like strings, or synthesizers with aan orchestral sound and it felt ok to do it in this song. You can't do it with all Blues. Ask Dave! And it is interesting many posters, including you, mention those breaks. In earlier songs I used them more often, because it gave accents. The downside was it breaks the tempo of the song as well. In this song it was more functional, indeed.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very good, Hans, great vocal as per usual, and great sounding track too.
Well done!

Hello Dave, I'm glad you didn't mention the amount of fx I must have used in the vocals. As far as I know I didn't use much. Maybe i was a bit hoarse or something, but you had no problems with the vocals, and the other instruments. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Good classic blues. Your songs seem to have a twist in the end, usually positive, cats come home and elevators go to the sky smile that's good songwriting, hopefully I will learn that way too. Good vocals, sax fits very well.
Janne

Ha Janne, I had to smile about you mentioning these 'happy endings' in my stories. some years ago I saw a very nice documentary about Paul Mc. I heard he always did that in his songs. I looked at my songs and saw most of them didn't have these 'happy ends'. In the catsong it was by accident that kind of ending. I nearly had finnished the song in where the cat was dead, but then he entered the house live and sound. So I had to change that end. And in the blues it was intended to have that ending. I am still having a very good marriage. I have a very good imagination too...
If you have that too you will write the stars and the moon into your pocket!

Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Birchwood,
The sax is excellent. The melody very catchy and well performed. The composition is excellent. Well done.
Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Hi Derochette, it is nothing compared with your complicated, but very nice sounding music. I only think my vocals are more present than yours ;-)

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Great song all around as usual!
Mike B.

Hello Mike, I was hoping you would come around too on this kind of song. After all, it's more your natural habitat! Thanks!

Have a very pleasant day,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Will, Misha and Ray,

Took me some time, but hear are my reactions to your nice and kind posts.
I think the post from Will is very good. You give compliments like 'a pleasure to listen to', where Misha and Ray say -kind of- the same, but continue on other parts...
But before you reply in an angry mood to my post; I'm just saying, ehh, teasing. Yes, that's the correct word teasing.
But thanks a lot for listening, leaving a comment on SC and your post here.

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Hi Hans,
Great song! I'm in love with how your vocal/voice sound... it is just such a pleasure to listen to.
I think you did a very good job with this track!
Will

Hi Will, this is a very nice reply on the song. I read it to my wife and one of my sons. They also think your compliments are very nice. but at the same time they became uneasy. They never said these thing to me. You see what bad people these Dutchies are? And I have to live with them to make these kind of songs! Thanks Will!

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Hans,
Successful tune for sure. Free flowing. Very nice and unusual chording. Neat stops and harmony magic. Solid write in all respects. The only minor thing I believe is vocals are a bit over fx'd. For example you sax parts are way dryer than vocals. I personally like saxes more "airy" than vocals, but that is only my opinion. In any case A+ for creativity. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

Hi Misha, I sent you a private post as well, but you must be so busy you haven't noticed it. But it is about the fx-discusion. i also sent it to Ray. He answered. But you lent your wife to him (for singing). No way my wife would have done that (but she can't sing).
About the 'airy' sax: I raised the amount of reverb, but more is not what I like. I want it to feel that sax is near you. But it's a matter of taste. But thanks a lot for your nice and well substantiated comment.

Originally Posted By: rayc
Hans,
COOL fun groove, melody and story.
You seem to be hiding behind processing again. Your last track had a strong vocal that wasn't so FX laden.
I saturate my voice in tweaks and FX but that's becasue I have a weak and unpleasant voice. Your natural voice is strong and clear as well as having presence...bolster it with a thickener, and some EQ, send it to the same reverb you send the solo to but keep it minimal.

Hello Ray, have you read the comment from Will? Are you sure you only have an unpleasant voice? No Ray, I like teasing you, but you have done a lot for me, like listening to my vocal tracks of my (possible) new song. And that I really appreciate, like the discussion in the private post too.

So thank you all and have a very nice day today,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
And finally, last but not least; Marty, Scott, Janice and Bud and Scott again,

Very nice responds from you. They gave me a good day, thanks to this (otherwise I could have a nice day as well, but this is much safer).

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
A what a wonderful song, Hans. Love the emotion in your vocal. Really cool the way you brought the sax in. It sounds like the guy was standing there off-mic then sauntered to the front to do his thing --very well. Top-notch production, and no one can sing it better. wink

Hi Marty, Thanks for this to-the-point review! Still I think you and I have to sing some kind of duet.
And the sax; yes I too had that feeling. Some songs give the feeling you're close to them or a band. We have quite a few musicians in our BiaB forum who achieve this. And I believe it is growing. Are the recorded instruments of BiaB improved? Are we improving? Who knows? But in this song the sax came close to that, I agree with you.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved the groove Hans. Very different feel to this song in a good way. Sax was cool. Another super vocal and lyric. Well done..

Hi Scott, I'm happy you liked it. And I am proud of your compliments on the lyrics too. It is always a lot of work to make them. not only in a language that is not your own, but in general. I think next time I should make a song with a great guitar solo. Are you in?

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We always enjoy hearing John L sing the blues smile
The arrangement on this tune is standout.
The stops, the builds, etc., really keep you engaged.

Your vocals were really good ... no matter how you did it!
Your almost Elevating Blues lyric elevated our mood on a hot, hot day.
And, yep, the blues can make you happy. Thank you.

Enjoyed it!
J&B

Hey Janice and Bud, I'm so happy you mentioned John again. I missed him lately!
What kind words you wrote. I read them to my wife and my youngest son (the older son just became a father, so no time for chit chat). My wife was very pleased. She is calling me John now. My son said something else, but calling me John too. I think he is jealous...
But I was very pleased with the serious parts of your review. I hope Janice will use that elevator-stuff also in her lyrics. While going up!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
I would think a very nice lead guitar would fit in here. :-). I may know someone who could add a bass track as well :-). Maybe on the next one.. ;-)

Hi again, Scott. I am very flattered that you offer your services and those of a bass player. I will accept your offer of course (without a smiley ;-)), although you gave some sleepless nights. I had to think what kind of songs that must be. And... I am already working on a song but there the solo was given to a fiddler. Ray was teaching me on my vocal fx in that one. So I have already one Spirit level around. I let you know soon! and what about Robert?

So, thanks everyone and have a nice weekend soon,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,481
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195