Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
We watched the first episode of this Apple TV series and it was fascinating. The episode covered the history of Auto-Tune.

While the music focus was light years from our preferences it did not diminish the great presentation of the subject - pros and cons.

Bud

PS OK, please no hating on this Apple guy. Thank you. laugh

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Auto-Tune...I am not sure that is a subject we can even comment on here on this site because it is so highly identified with Rap music now days.

The first time I was aware of Auto-Tune was when Cher used it on Believe. It is a tool like many things, not something I would just like or dislike.

I assume one has to be curious to know about Exxon and Andy Hildebrand. That would be a good trivia question at OTC (Offshore Technology Conference) in Houston.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Auto-Tune...I am not sure that is a subject we can even comment on here on this site because it is so highly identified with Rap music now days.

The first time I was aware of Auto-Tune was when Cher used it on Believe. It is a tool like many things, not something I would just like or dislike.

I assume one has to be curious to know about Exxon and Andy Hildebrand. That would be a good trivia question at OTC (Offshore Technology Conference) in Houston.

Billy

I think it’s highly identified with most all genres. The show didn’t even mention rap. More focus on current pop. Regardless the interviews with the developer of it and it’s evolution was interesting. And of course pitch editing goes way beyond vocals. It’s great for getting an RT note to resolve into a vocal, changing a bass note, etc. But I’ve never used it in a vocal smile

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bud,

I wish I could see the video. Pitch correction with software is a lot less costly than the many takes on vocal tracks and having to cut and paste all that together that was common in the past. I use Melodyne for pitch correction on vocals and instrumentation and for special effects. Both Auto-Tune and Melodyne go beyond just pitch editing.

What I was referring too in the rap world was that many of those artist use Auto-Tune to define "their" sound along with making "music" that is made up of just rhythmic sounds. T-Pain and Daft Punk sort of define the use of Auto-Tune in rap.

In some ways the more I have tried to use Melodyne the less I like the results for vocals. Having every note in pitch just sounds to mechanical for me.

I have seen some vocalist use Auto-Tune in real time live. Not my cup of tea but many people like it.

Software in general and pitch correction software has allowed many people to record saleable music that could not have done so without it. In the past one had to be a really skilled vocalist to get in a studio. We obviously have many wonderful vocalist today as in the past. We also have people selling "music" who have no classical musical ability.

I really don't like rep music that portrays and promotes violence, drug use and many other things. It has provided a world for otherwise disenfranchised people to feel a part of. Modern software has in large measure made this possible.

I think many people my age that grew up listening to people like Patsy Cline have a hard time to connect with much of the "music" being produced today. I listen to a lot of stuff I don't like just to try to understand what is going on.

Things like Auto-Tune will continue to evolve and a certain segment of music will become more electronic by the year. Insert AI in the mix and there is no telling what things will sound like twenty years from now.

We live in a strange world where people on one side of town are killing themselves with fentanyl and people on the other side of town are driving robotic cars around on Mars. Music has become just about as diverse.

Billy

I looked at this video to check for suitability. This is pretty cool stuff. Daff Punk rehearsal for the Grammys.
https://youtu.be/KmWXaIOFwrg

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/01/21 10:23 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Agreed. And as I'm likely your age or older I don't connect well with much of the newer material either but from having started recording in an Atlanta studio in 1966 to the present I've remained interested in all technical advances in our field of interest. In the episode I was fascinated by a scene where one of the episode producers who could not sing attempted such and it was turned into a perfectly pitched vocal. That ain't correction that's creation. FWIW, etc.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And then consider that autotune and vocoder have become conflated in recent discussions. Cher used a vocoder/talk box-like device on that song NOT to tune her voice but to give it the mechanized feel that fit what was (face it) a horrible song to begin with. Autotune is to pull Britney Spears into tune. (Oy!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2uqcQDmy9w

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here is a pretty good video of how Cher made Believe. As far as I know this was one of the first example of the use of Auto-Tune. Mark Taylor was the producer and explains the process.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cher+and+auto+tune&&view=detail&mid=59232805F50C5066D6D959232805F50C5066D6D9&&FORM=VDRVRV

NPR said "Believe it or not, Cher's dance anthem "Believe" has just turned 20 years old. The song, released on Oct. 22, 1998, kicked off a Cher renaissance, cemented her role as a pop icon and popularized a controversial fixture of pop music today — Auto-Tune."

From Wikipedia ""Believe" topped the charts of Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, the Republic of Ireland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States. It earned Cher a place in the Guinness Book of World Records as the oldest female solo artist to top the Billboard Hot 100 chart and became the highest-selling single by a solo female artist in the United Kingdom. "Believe" is one of the best-selling singles, with sales of over 11 million copies worldwide.[2] Reviewers praised its production and catchiness and named it one of Cher's most important releases. It was nominated for the Grammy Award for Record of the Year and won Best Dance Recording."

So...like it or don't it is an icon of the pop music world and the use of Auto-Tune.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/01/21 02:25 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
They covered Cher in the show and discussed what occurred with the developer of Auto-Tune. Pretty cool guy actually.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My two favorite jazz instruments are flugelhorn and soprano sax. Playing these in tune is like herding cats. Herding cats may be easier.

So I admit I've used Autotune on my recordings. My general practice, though, is only to pitch-shift the last note of a phrase, and then only if it makes the beginning of the next phrase sound wrong.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There is a difference between what Cher did on Believe and pitch correction (although the tools used may be the same or similar). They are both to do with adjusting the pitch of vocals. The effect will depend on what you are trying to achieve. I think what most people don’t realise is that pitch correction is used on most modern commercial music production. I read that Christine Aguilera would sit and do 100 takes of a vocal, which was then comped and still had some pitch correction applied.

I also think it is pretty safe to say that nobody can sing 100% on pitch all the time. So if one is after a recording with perfectly pitched vocals, then pitch correction is a must. If you are going for an old school rock track , you may want to leave the vocals as they are.

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 08/01/21 07:55 PM.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Some degree of “imperfections” are often to our ears called soul and help constitute the uniqueness of the singer.

IMHO Frank didn’t need correction. Ella didn’t need correction. Billie didn’t need correction. And, again IMHO, neither did thousands of other great singers of all genres before the 1998 advent of Auto-Tune. I simply do not recall discussions of vocal imperfections coming out of renown studios.

The producer of the episode was conflicted on wholesale usage of pitch correction and said, “great singers play between the notes all the time. They bend the notes …that’s how you get emotion out of it.”

I’m not suggesting that it’s not a good tool for an obvious need of correction. I just don’t think every note needs to be zero cents from perfect, i.e., the aforementioned play between the notes can be a good thing.

And a big ole FWIW.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
To my ears what Cher did in that (insipid) song was way closer to talk box than autotune.

Listen to that and then listen to Roger Troutman and Zapp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_IPV2zeDIc

Then go back to the Britney Spears clip I posted. THAT is autotune. This, and Cher, was just vocal effect. Whether they used similar electronics to do it or not, this Zapp tune is closer to what Cher did. And THIS is from 1980.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There are no wrong notes, just better ones. It is very easy to over use every sort of tone and pitch control devise.

I think if you came from a blues background you are always bending notes both instrumentally and vocally. I fact I sometimes have a hard time to not bend notes when I am trying to play more jazz style stuff. If it sounds right it really does not matter if it is in tune or not. I have screwed up some good vocals trying to pitch correct them. It is at least normally possible to back out of the changes.

Sometimes I think musicians are the worst judge of what sounds good. I think we all tend to over play at times.

We can get so involved with software and electronics we spend way to much time fooling around and not enough time playing.

It is very easy to create songs that are way to complex with way to much stuff going on. There has been a world of great music done on two inch tape with none of the common effects we use today.

I like to try out new stuff but it does get in the way of staying on top of good musicianship at times.

All this home studio stuff has been both a blessing and a curse for me. I dearly miss being in a studio environment with other musicians.

The pandemic is raging here in Miami so I really have little idea what the future holes.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/02/21 03:08 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have seen that video before 90 db. Still as funny as the first time.

Check THIS ONE out too.

Then listen to this guy REALLY sing.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bud, there's a similar series on Netflix called "This is Pop". It's episode 2 is about Auto-Tune as well. Most of the info talked about from your references above appear to be in this one too.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Bud, there's a similar series on Netflix called "This is Pop". It's episode 2 is about Auto-Tune as well. Most of the info talked about from your references above appear to be in this one too.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

We skipped episode two as it was all about samples but episode three on reverb was interesting.

BTW, here in part are the credentials of the series producer and narrator and point man (Mark Ronson).

"He has received seven Grammy Awards, including Producer of the Year for Winehouse's album Back to Black and two for Record of the Year singles "Rehab" and "Uptown Funk". He received an Academy Award, a Golden Globe Award and a Grammy Award for co-writing the song "Shallow" (performed by Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper) for the film A Star is Born (2018)"

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That guy, Mark Ronson has won a ton of awards. Plays guitar...does just about everything in the music world. Even been named in a lawsuit or two...lol

Now you are making trouble making me thinking about buying Apple TV...lol

Also my wife is calling me for lunch which would be great except I have to endure another episode of the Young and The Ruthless on TV. Apple TV where are you when I need you...lol

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/03/21 06:36 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob beat me to it. That girl in the studio is hilarious.

And yeah.... You expect to hear AT in rap and pop music. But when country icon George Strait uses autotune, you know it went mainstream when George Strait was using it on his music. Hear it here>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8zvQ41Uusk

There's a huge difference between Melodyne and AT. You have to work at getting that AT sound with Melodyne. It's possible, but not a straight out of the box sound.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
They are really tight with these episodes. The are not on youtube or even a torrent site. But I expect that from Apple. They know how to protect their interests.

2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,651
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195