Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
As per Subject.

I have replaced a piano patch in BIAB with another from Kontakt player instruments.

If I load a song (in this case a .MG2) from the practice window and then change the piano track to use a piano from Kontakt player, at first it works normally, I can start and stop the song as many times as I like without any issues. If I save the song, close it and then re-load it, that's when it start to feedback! This feedback is internal. What I mean is, you can see the master meters rise up in volume without any speakers being switched ON.

It doesn't matter if I try to press the stop button... it carries on feedbacking.
If I press the space bar, the sound restarts the audio to a new feedback event.

If I continuously keep pressing the space bar very quickly for about 5 seconds, it then stops the feedback and I can then use BIAB, with the same plugin, without any problem. Everything works as normal.

I tried a different instrument, still within Kontakt 6 and I can repeat the issue.

I tried setting the audio to WAS and ASIO and the issue remains.

If I play the instruments within Kontakt (without using BIAB), I have no audio issues.

Using BIAB 2021 Build 835.

Anyone had similar issues? Also, Is there a Panic Button within BIAB?

Thanks.

B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted By: biab-user
As per Subject.

I have replaced a piano patch in BIAB with another from Kontakt player instruments.

If I load a song (in this case a .MG2) from the practice window and then change the piano track to use a piano from Kontakt player, at first it works normally, I can start and stop the song as many times as I like without any issues. If I save the song, close it and then re-load it, that's when it start to feedback! This feedback is internal. What I mean is, you can see the master meters rise up in volume without any speakers being switched ON.

It doesn't matter if I try to press the stop button... it carries on feedbacking.

If I continuously keep pressing the space bar very quickly for about 5 seconds, it then stops the feedback and I can then use BIAB, with the same plugin, without any problem. Everything works as normal.

I tried a different instrument, still within Kontakt 6 and I can repeat the issue.

If I play the instruments within Kontakt (without using BIAB), I have no audio issues.

Thanks.

I have now updated both BIAB 2021to build 838 and RB 2021 build 6 and the problem persists with BIAB. I did try the same procedure in RealBand and there it works just fine, so it must be to to with Bain In A Box.

Before the audio slowly increase to a feedback, there is a sound spike, above 0 bb, then the meters gradually increase in volume, from nothing to overload. The only way to stop this is to quickly keep pressing the spacebar. Then BIAB works fine.

I repeat that I have switched my monitors OFF and no audio is outputted from anywhere when this spike and feedback
occurs in either WAS or ASIO.

Expert
Expert
As per Subject.

Thanks.

I have now updated both BIAB 2021to build 838 and RB 2021 build 6 and the problem persists with BIAB. I did try the same procedure in RealBand and there it works just fine, so it must be to to with Bain In A Box.

Before the audio slowly increase to a feedback, there is a sound spike, above 0 bb, then the meters gradually increase in volume, from nothing to overload. The only way to stop this is to quickly keep pressing the spacebar. Then BIAB works fine.

I repeat that I have switched my monitors OFF and no audio is outputted from anywhere when this spike and feedback
occurs in either WAS or ASIO.

~ BUMP ~

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Thanks for the BUMP.

I'm surprised that PG MUSIC haven't replied on this... I'll have to contact the tech support and lodge a ticket, as soo as I have time.

Veteran
Veteran
OK, I saved and opened a couple times with no adverse events to report. This is Kontakt 6 (current build) and BIAB 838 64 bit. Look closer at your routing. And by the way, as you see below, I use MME. For me, ASIO is only used when recording which I don't do in BIAB and WAS has always been problematic.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (263.64 KB, 109 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
I have checked the routing and everything are correct.

What is different between Realband and Band in a box's Audio settings, because Kontakt 6 works OK in Realband! The same goes for Reaper. It is just BIAB.

The problem keep happening when Loading a song with the saved plugin settings. If I load any song and then changing a MIDI track so to use a Kontakt instrument, it changes it and play it with no problem. The problem occurs when re-opening\Loading the file. The initial spike is the audio CLIPPING and many times ALL audio within BIAB shuts down, so I need to close BIAB and restart it back again.

All of my Audio and video Drivers are up to date.

Veteran
Veteran
Did you switch to MME as I suggested??

Last edited by MusicStudent; 08/03/21 04:36 AM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Ha!

I have just changed the Audio settings to MME and all is good!!! Thank you for suggesting MME.

So, the problem happens when ASIO or WAS is selected.
Still, this does not explain why Realband is not effected when using ASIO or WAS.

B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Just to say, I did not needed to test your song as it worked with the other songs.

Veteran
Veteran
Glad you got it working.

Still, this does not explain why Realband is not effected when using ASIO or WAS.

To answer that, would be well above my pay grade. grin

B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
grin

This will bug me until I know the reason it happens. grin

Veteran
Veteran
grin

You may want to contact PGMusic. They would be the ones whom have the answers.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted By: MarioD
grin

You may want to contact PGMusic. They would be the ones whom have the answers.

I guess I have to.

The first thing they will say is.... Try resetting BIAB...

I hate submitting a ticket! cry

Veteran
Veteran
My guess. The way an audio signal flows through Band-in-a-Box and RealBand is different.

RealBand audio flows somewhat similar to a DAW which in turn is somewhat similar to an external audio mixer. The audio is routed in such a way that you can hear audio coming into the computer at the same time you can hear audio coming out of the computer. RealBand repeats your incoming audio and mixes the incoming audio with the computer generated audio.

Band-in-a-Box does not have the capability to repeat incoming audio while it is coming into the program. You record audio in Band-in-a-Box and you can not hear what is recorded until the recording is completed.

The difference in how the two programs handle audio means they also handle Kontakt audio output differently.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
The first thing they will say is....

Switch to MME.

smile

B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
My guess. The way an audio signal flows through Band-in-a-Box and RealBand is different.

RealBand audio flows somewhat similar to a DAW which in turn is somewhat similar to an external audio mixer. The audio is routed in such a way that you can hear audio coming into the computer at the same time you can hear audio coming out of the computer. RealBand repeats your incoming audio and mixes the incoming audio with the computer generated audio.

Band-in-a-Box does not have the capability to repeat incoming audio while it is coming into the program. You record audio in Band-in-a-Box and you can not hear what is recorded until the recording is completed.

The difference in how the two programs handle audio means they also handle Kontakt audio output differently.

Thanks for your reply.
There must be a way for the tech to patch this in BIAB, surely!

I have switched the driver to MME but in this mode the audio momentarily stops, for only a few milliseconds, whenever I click on many sections of BIAB. If I try to adjust the volume on instruments in the mixer, the sound gets interrupted, the same if I click the notation button or click on the chord charts.

Man! BIAB is so frustrating!

Most times, I end up searching for troubleshooting things, rather than practicing. A truly love hate relationship.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
biab-user..
lets get to the nitty grittys..
in a tech sense i would never try useing any fancy plug in in biab unless i had a really "beefy" pc with high speed ssd's and lots of ram. i use only low cpu useage plug ins in biab.
if i was useing threadrippers with ultra fast ssd's and a excellent audio driver device like RME and getting low RTL different story.

i have questions..as no details of your rig were given.
1. whats your processor ?? and whats its rateing on cpubenchmark.net ? i recommend at least a rateing of 10000 particularly for daw work useing lots of traks and plug ins etc etc... also in rb action>>>>test audio performance how many max traks does rb report ??
(just another clue on your rig.)
2. whats your sound device ?? cos your getting feedback.
check you dont have INPUT MONITORING checked somewhere ..
eg i think i remember i was getting feedback once useing a fancy schmany sound device with input monitoring set ON. for example you might regularly use IM in whatever
regular daw is being used..IF SO turn off IM when useing biab. see if feedback goes away.
3. you say all is fine in rb ..right ?
so please post a pic of both your rb settings as well as your biab settings for whatever audio device your useing please. so intelligent comparisons can be made.
therein might lie the clue.

as ive said many times before...both biab and rb need (like in reaper and other daws...) performance reports on plug ins as to processor useage . otherwise low power pc's will bog down once plug ins needing lots of processor or ram or disk resources are loaded.

best
old..nerdy...muso

ps..dan ..yep you got a i7/7700 a just under 9k rateing
on cpu benchmark if i remember.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 08/04/21 01:33 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Expert
Expert
What happens when you press the Kontakt MIDI Panic button. The “!” Symbol on the top right hand side of Kontakt. Does this stop the “feedback”. What channel are you using. It is very possible to confuse Kontakt by having a patch that allows multiple channels open with a mysterious note set on a channel not actually used. This signal may not be receiving a note off. Pushing the panic button will turn the note off, however, it will recur. Use Kontakt to determine what channels are coming in and set the patch to the required channel.

I’ve had several strange things happen in Kontakt usually fixed by ensuring the channel coming in is what the patch is set to.

Just a thought.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I have switched the driver to MME but in this mode the audio momentarily stops, for only a few milliseconds, whenever I click on many sections of BIAB. If I try to adjust the volume on instruments in the mixer, the sound gets interrupted, the same if I click the notation button or click on the chord charts

I can confirm that. A short blink of the audio.
I actually did not noticed until you mentioned it. However, when I removed Kontakt, I still was hearing that "blink" when I moved windows around during playing. This is a new observation for me and

I will move this specific item to a new thread as it is not related to the "audio feedback topic".

Last edited by MusicStudent; 08/04/21 05:53 AM.

B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
biab-user..
lets get to the nitty grittys..
in a tech sense i would never try useing any fancy plug in in biab unless i had a really "beefy" pc with high speed ssd's and lots of ram. i use only low cpu useage plug ins in biab.
if i was useing threadrippers with ultra fast ssd's and a excellent audio driver device like RME and getting low RTL different story.

i have questions..as no details of your rig were given.
1. whats your processor ?? and whats its rateing on cpubenchmark.net ? i recommend at least a rateing of 10000 particularly for daw work useing lots of traks and plug ins etc etc... also in rb action>>>>test audio performance how many max traks does rb report ??
(just another clue on your rig.)
2. whats your sound device ?? cos your getting feedback.
check you dont have INPUT MONITORING checked somewhere ..
eg i think i remember i was getting feedback once useing a fancy schmany sound device with input monitoring set ON. for example you might regularly use IM in whatever
regular daw is being used..IF SO turn off IM when useing biab. see if feedback goes away.
3. you say all is fine in rb ..right ?
so please post a pic of both your rb settings as well as your biab settings for whatever audio device your useing please. so intelligent comparisons can be made.
therein might lie the clue.

as ive said many times before...both biab and rb need (like in reaper and other daws...) performance reports on plug ins as to processor useage . otherwise low power pc's will bog down once plug ins needing lots of processor or ram or disk resources are loaded.

best
old..nerdy...muso

ps..dan ..yep you got a i7/7700 a just under 9k rateing
on cpu benchmark if i remember.

Hi. As already explained, the feedback is internal. No audio monitors and headphones are NOT ON.

There is no Input Monitoring activated anywhere.

The system is an 11th Gen Intel i7, 16GB Ram 1TB SSD.

I actually use this machine to record 16 simultaneous tracks Live in reaper for a Big Band and run a Bass and guitar DI in reaper, applying Helix Native amp and effects and returning the tracks back to the XR18 Mixer. All of this without any problems. The CPU is well under 10% usage. I also mixed over 75 tracks with each having several VST's in each track. Again, no problem in Reaper.

I am confident that the system can handle Audio.

The Audio clipping and feedback happens inside BIAB as Kontakt 6 show the correct metering movements, when BIAB meters show the feedback. When there is audio Spike\Overload, when loading a file with Kontakt plugin, the overload shuts down the audio in BIAB but pressing the spacebar to play the song, the meters in BIAB, show no activity but Kontakt shows the meters action moving as normal, and the arranger show normal bar movements.

Here are a couple of images of system specks.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
System Specks.png (100.72 KB, 26 downloads)
Realband maximum Tracks test.png (52.18 KB, 26 downloads)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,605
Posts735,025
Members38,514
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716
38,513 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 187